Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

No you can't. Apparently it's what YOU wanted though. Apparently it's what we ALL wanted. Read what Musco said. I can't believe they won't even come out and just be STRAIGHT with us. They have the gall to tell us this is what we want and what we asked for. Why bother spending months asking us for "Our feedback" when all they did was ignore it anyway.

If you had to compile a list of 5 possible options according to the people they have chosen the very bottom of that list.

Exactly! They need to be truthful and say that they don't really care what we wanted and that this is the option that is best for them!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's largely a fail PR problem. As I already mentioned, the merger and death of apac servers was inevitable for financial reasons. The big problem is that bioware haven't been honest about that and they're pretending it's all about enhancing player experience and giving us what we want which is obviously BS. Very few people wanted to be transferred to US servers but that's what's been happening. I think they simply need to be more up front and say "sorry guys, things have been tough, subscribers are dropping and we can't afford to run 3 apac servers any more. We definately can't afford to run 1 server. So we're moving you all the us servers so you don't get stuck on dead servers."

If they'd put it like that I think there would be less complaints.

Lol anything less than 5000 is a minority and barely noticable at all by big companies like EA

But for devils advocate i'll do the math EA reports 2 million players you say 300 that is like 0.003% uhh yeah sorry not even worth looking at

EA would be lucky if they have more than 250,000 subscribers left. F2P means zero if they aren't buying coins, which I'm sure has immensely slowed down from the initial launch.

This is EA's problem, they have played out a strategy that looks to maximise revenues in the first 6 months, while tipping in a buttload of cash to compete with games that have 5 year plans like WoW & EVE. They tried to have it both ways twice, and twice it has come back to haunt them.

5000 relevant (and unique) signatures would comprehensively defeat this move. I dare say 1500 would do the job. What was the default population cap at APAC launch for PvE & PvP servers? 5-6k? Both the PvE & PvP servers had queues, so we can estimate that there were about 25k-30k active players, with perhaps 50k+ AU subscribers, before we even bother to estimate how many never bothered re-rolling from a US or EU server.

What they have done since this time last year has been nothing short of catastrophic, and your bitter commentary blinds your ability to remain objective about the real issues that see us at this precipice.

Edited by DaftVaduhhh

Funny how everyone is complaining about pings now when we have put up with it for over 7-8 years with other MMOs

Actually, I used to complain about ping all the time when I played wow, I can remember tanking Achimonde and having to catch his fear cast in enough time to let me switch stances and zerk rage, and the loss of 400-500 ms on a 1.5 second cast time made it feel like my eyes were bleeding.

I guess I haven't complained much about ping in this game, OH WAIT, thats because I didn't have to.

Another thing to try would be spreading the word through the Australian community and encouraging them to make F2P accounts on APAC servers to boost numbers before this change is implemented. EA did an abysmal job at marketing the APAC servers in the first place. Showing that they could be viable with a bit of attention might actually help.

Make a facebook page perhaps, make a fuss, post on any and all Australian gaming forums etc.

You're the first GD person that I know of is against it, and im sure there's others but sorry 10 people out of 50 isnt that much lol

You obviously haven't read all the posts on this thread or been on the Dalbora server which has a vibrant community.

EVERYONE... AND I MEAN EVERYONE... INCLUDING PEOPLE WHO MAY NOT USUALLY TALK ON THE FLEET WERE DISCUSSING IT...

1 - I would say 95-99% of people are against it...

2 - About 10 - 20% have already unsubscribed last night in protest because they think BIO/EA will only pay attention unless it is affecting their income... (personally I disagree with unsubscribing before it happens... I believe it will just give BIO more ammunition to go ahead as those people are gone... it will support their case)

3 - Another 50-60% of people (including myself) will most likely unsubscribe if this actually/when goes ahead

4 - Have you actually looked at the petition which only started yesterday... it currently has 300+ signatures and is climbing as people login and find out about this server move... it will take about 1 - 2 weeks for most people to find out because not everyone plays everyday... ALSO I only know of a small number of people who actually read these forums... so the others will only find out by word of mouth

5 - BIO PAY ATTENTION... YOU NEED TO SEND AND EMAIL TO ALL YOUR APAC SUBSCRIBERS AND ALSO PUT A MESSAGE ON THE LOGIN SCREEN... IT IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE SNEAKIEST THING YOU CAN DO TO NOT GIVE ANY NOTICE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS EXCEPT IN THIS FORUM

6 - ALSO YOU SHOULD HAVE RUN AN IN GAME SURVEY OR AN EMAIL SURVEY BEFORE MAKING SWEEPING STATEMENTS LIKE THE COMMUNITY VOTED TO DO THIS... HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS IS WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT WHEN YOU HAVE ONLY ASKED ABOUT 10% OF YOUR CUSTOMER BASE ONLY IN THE FORUMS

BIO/EA YOU MUST ALSO GIVE YOUR SUBSCRIBERS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR A FULL REFUND OF ANY PREPAID IN ADVANCE SUBSCRIPTIONS AND PREPAID EXPANSIONS BEFORE YOU MAKE THIS MOVE

FELLOW PLAYERS I ASK YOU NOT TO JUMP THE SHIP YET... BY ALL MEANS KEEP THE PRESURE ON... TELL THEM YOU WILL UNSUBSCRIBE... FILL IN THE PETITION... IT MIGHT NOT WORK... BUT IT IS 5 MINS OF YOUR TIME AND IT MIGHT... JUST MIGHT HAVE AN EFFECT... CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO GO TO THE PETITION

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

Dalbora population at 1:30pm Sydney time - waaay outside peak period, school hasn't finished and people are still at work.

Imp's 120+ across Fleet, DK and Korriban

Pubs 100 + across Fleet, Cor and Ord Mantel

So don't come up with BS numbers of 80 people at peak times.

Devs please start listening, already over half the hardcore players I know on Master Dar'Nala have unsubbed with no intention of returning.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1/signatures.html

Currently sitting at 315 signatures.

315 Signatures...

I am sorry, but unless this is restricted to APAC players only and runs into the thousands this actually proves Bioware and EA's decision correct....

315 Signatures...

I am sorry, but unless this is restricted to APAC players only and runs into the thousands this actually proves Bioware and EA's decision correct....

if you read the signatures most of them come from australian states, NZ and other oceanic countries with the odd support of other countries, only time will tell if we get even more. Moron.

Edited by aVmuse

315 Signatures...

Not all users read the forums, or even post on them. Petitions rarely quantify a true number.

if you read the signatures most of them come from australian states, NZ and other oceanic countries with the odd support of other countries, only time will tell if we get even more. Moron.

And this changes my point...how? :rolleyes:

Reading comprehension has taken a nose-dive in the last 5-years.

Most =/= All

And "Most" of 315 a healthy population or a large movement does not make...

Not all users read the forums, or even post on them. Petitions rarely quantify a true number.

And internal company financial metrics usually are much clearer...again, back to the main point.

If APAC had the population to support a merged-localized sever where has it been all these months?.

Edited by -IceHawk-

And internal company financial metrics usually are much clearer...again, back to the main point.

If APAC had the population to support a merged-localized sever where has it been all these months?.

Internal company metrics which you assume support your argument. But because you haven't seen them, you are still just making stuff up to suit your argument.

Internal company metrics which you assume support your argument. But because you haven't seen them, you are still just making stuff up to suit your argument.

Yeah, it makes absolute sense that EA is closing down a profitable marketplace in the midst of a transition to maximize profitability in this title...

Out of what? Avarice? An unmentioned hatred of APAC players? Pure evilness because EA?

...we live in a real world in which companies make decisions, not out of the goodness of their hearts, but based on the stolid and rather un-emotive dictates of ROI and investor pressure.

I think someone posted earlier that the cost to lease a server was beteen 800-3000 a month. Lets go to the extreme of 3000.

Now the 320 sigs are probably from subscribers because most F2P players wouldn't really care as they haven't invested as much time (Yet). At $15 a month thats what just under 5000USD, with the current exchange rate about 4900. They are still makinng 1800 a month, if they combined everyone onto 1 server.

Lets not take into consideration, the people who don;t read forums, Cartel purchases etc etc.

And this changes my point...how? :rolleyes:

Reading comprehension has taken a nose-dive in the last 5-years.

Most =/= All

And "Most" of 315 a healthy population or a large movement does not make...

I'm glad you say it behind a computer screen, instead of 300 annoyed people right now in mob to their faces.

But your point was that the petition needed to restricted to APAC players and I pointed out that a majority of that petition is from the APAC region, and as someone has already pointed forums are not the true indication of population and there could be many blissfully unaware players on the oceanic servers that they time is up.

But please go on more about my reading comprehension.

Yeah, it makes absolute sense that EA is closing down a profitable marketplace in the midst of a transition to maximize profitability in this title...

Out of what? Avarice? An unmentioned hatred of APAC players? Pure evilness because EA?

...we live in a real world in which companies make decisions, not out of the goodness of their hearts, but based on the stolid and rather un-emotive dictates of ROI and investor pressure.

Or they are being stupid like most companies, not fully investing in things and half-assing it, going for a quick buck instead of a long term investment, hello FOX.

Edited by aVmuse

And I ask the question, again.

How is simultaneously true that APAC players have been complaining about population issues for months on end, Bioware and EA have internally concluded and publically stated total population numbers are not high enough, and yet there is a large enough population to warrant expensive localized servers?

APAC cannot be at once suffering from population issues and have a consistent and large-scale populaiton.

So explain this to me.

Why is APAC being shut down?

I think someone posted earlier that the cost to lease a server was beteen 800-3000 a month. Lets go to the extreme of 3000.

Now the 320 sigs are probably from subscribers because most F2P players wouldn't really care as they haven't invested as much time (Yet). At $15 a month thats what just under 5000USD, with the current exchange rate about 4900. They are still makinng 1800 a month, if they combined everyone onto 1 server.

Lets not take into consideration, the people who don;t read forums, Cartel purchases etc etc.

Yes, because the Revenue to Profit calculations of businesses really do work out that easily...

...what is the total over-head for APAC server support, including initial investment, and what is the ROI that these initial investments were predicated on, and how many subscribers must be reached to match those goals?

The real world economy is not Monopoly, there is more to a balance sheet than:

Subscriber $ - Server Fee $ = Profit

Edited by -IceHawk-

Or they are being stupid like most companies, not fully investing in things and half-assing it, going for a quick buck instead of a long term investment, hello FOX.

This would tend to be my argument; EA seriously mishandled the expansion into this marketplace, likely failed to achieve sustainable and significant enough ROI to rationalize continued investment in personnel, benefits, utilities, maintenance, et al, and are now retreating from the marketplace in an effort to cut their losses.

This would tend to be my argument; EA seriously mishandled the expansion into this marketplace, likely failed to achieve sustainable and significant enough ROI to rationalize continued investment in personnel, benefits, utilities, maintenance, et al, and are now retreating from the marketplace in an effort to cut their losses.

As harsh as reality as that is, I'd rather be told that then being told under the ******** premises that they are improving my gameplay with this abolishing of the APAC servers instead of just maintaining one, but then again they never tried different options, constant lies and misinformation and bad managing of situation. If this was anything other then a virtual game EA would be sued, but because its a virtual game EA can continue to treat customers this badly and get away with it.

Yes, because the Revenue to Profit calculations of businesses really do work out that easily...

...what is the total over-head for APAC server support, including initial investment, and what is the ROI that these initial investments were predicated on, and how many subscribers must be reached to match those goals?

The real world economy is not Monopoly, there is more to a balance sheet than:

Subscriber $ - Server Fee $ = Profit

How is any of this the APAC subscribers problem ?. Alot of us only bought the game and subbed for the APAC servers and low ping, this is all we have ever known. Despite what some think we didn't all start off on the NA servers.

We have been paying for a product for a year and concerns that we had were not addressed be it the fact we didn't get new server tech, we didn't get a merger, there is no advertising in APAC areas or whatever.

We paid for a product that failed due to eawares inability to 'organise a root in a brothel'. It aint our fault it failed nor is it our fault for speaking up and having a crack at these morons.

******* like you only compound the problem, who are you anyway ? another yank troll ?.

Give us what we paid for eaware, what every other NA and EU sub has, low ping and local server mergers.

/unsubbed