Will SWTOR still live?

StevenGuapo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logically, the game will not die, and will be alive and well for many years to come. People saying SWTOR is going to shut down are just trying to hurt its integrity for whatever reason (angry ex-players, supporters of other MMOs, etc.)

The upcoming free-play move will actually be a huge advantage, as proven by other MMOs that have done the same in the past. The $15/month subscription-only model is dying out.

Logically, the game will not die, and will be alive and well for many years to come. People saying SWTOR is going to shut down are just trying to hurt its integrity for whatever reason (angry ex-players, supporters of other MMOs, etc.)

The upcoming free-play move will actually be a huge advantage, as proven by other MMOs that have done the same in the past. The $15/month subscription-only model is dying out.

I agree with Darkness_Squall.

SWTOR is going to be fine. It will keep chugging along like it has been for a while now. Currently, the devs are prepping the game for the transition to f2p. This is including server merges and new server technology. Some people are experiencing waiting queues and others had to change names they had for a while, so, you can imagine lots of people are irritated. I personally believe it will work itself out in a ltttle while.

hmm, signs point to troll, i'll bite.

So when you quit your former MMO, Did they tell you that you can never come back? SW will never die, this game might but it takes a LOT to kill a game. Basically it has to remain profitable to keep the lights on. We aren't at that point here and they can always cut costs which will just mean not much new. Only problem is we are trending the wrong direction and doing so at a rate faster than most probably anticipated. It hasn't even been a year, we should be growing in subscribers.

Yes it will die like LOTRO and Champions online and Star Trek Online and DCU Online and EQ and EQ II and Pirates of the Burning Sea and Vanguard Saga of Heroes and DDO died.

.....oh wait

:rolleyes:

I look at it as the game won't die but it will be considered an underachiever at best.

I hope it doesn't, the game is good, the only issue other than fixable issues that bug people in leaving is the population thing. Everyone who stayed are mostly lvl 50 and lower level areas bar the very start - lvl15 (due to free trial) are pretty badly populated and hard to progress through without groups.

My hope is that FTP model will boost the population massively like it has to others that have made the same jump.

Here's hoping, but remember the is still pretty young and owned by a cash cow.

I've talked to players who have philosophical objections to the F2P model, or are worried about things that might happen, or are angry about things that have/haven't happened in the past.

Rather than focusing on all that, I believe a better question is, are you having fun while playing it? If so, then keep going.

Yeah, but who cares. And what exactly does "underachiever" mean? I'm sure it means different things to different people.

Right it's like calling LOTRO a underachiever despite the fact that it has a community of over three million regular players 1.9 million of which has already pre-purchased the latest expansion and consistently out performs it's profit projections.

And lets not even begin to talk about how much money EQ II is raking in.....

Edited by Jett-Rinn

The game won't die. If the population is too low swtor will share the same fate as swg. There will be no future content updates and a skeleton staff for maintenance mostly and little cs. Giving this game is going f2p if the game can't make money off f2p, then it will shift to p2w or pay to win to make more money, then it go into maintenance mode like swg until it finally is shutdown.

Right it's like calling LOTRO a underachiever despite the fact that it has a community of over three million regular players 1.9 million of which has already pre-purchased the latest expansion and consistently out performs it's profit projections.

And lets not even begin to talk about how much money EQ II is raking in.....

The problem with LOTRO or any other mmorpg is that the f2p model is the new subscription model for mmorpg. It hasn't been saturated by AAA titles unlike the subscription model AAA mmorpgs games. There are a lot of mmorpg who like swtor or secret world who are in a difficult position. Swtor is going f2p and given how Secret World isn't doing very well might go f2p too in the future. Personally, I think Secret World is in denial and they are just put off the inevitable.

Agreed. Especially the last sentence.

Why won't SWTOR be like Guild Wars 2? You buy the game, then you don't have to pay every month. Guild wars 2 is doing really good. Why won't SWTOR do the same?

GW2 is funded heavily from a cash item shop. Microtransactions.

Edited by TheBBP

Yes it will die like LOTRO and Champions online and Star Trek Online and DCU Online and EQ and EQ II and Pirates of the Burning Sea and Vanguard Saga of Heroes and DDO died.

.....oh wait

Wait, F2P games don't shut down?

I don't feel like going to look, but I'm positive I've seen more than one F2P game shutting down article on Massively.

I mean I'm pretty sure I just saw some City of something or other was getting the plug pulled a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Nastynas

Hi, I just came back to SWTOR. I heard it's going free to play. I want to play it now that it's free to play. But, a lot of people are complaining that it will die. So, was it wise to quit a MMO for SWTOR? Will they make SWTOR good in the future?

This game will be around for a long time, especially with the f2p model coming. Whether you and I will still be playing it in a year, or even six months, is the real question. It depends on what they do to the game and whether you agree with the direction the game is going in.

Wait, F2P games don't shut down?

I don't feel like going to look, but I'm positive I've seen more than one F2P game shutting down article on Massively.

I mean I'm pretty sure I just saw some City of something or other was getting the plug pulled a couple of weeks ago.

City of Heroes put up an 8 year fight. Not bad in my book.

Edited by TheBBP

I wish it was doing better. Maybe it will get the devs to listen to the players more, hopefully if they do this it will save the game.

As it stands the last 9 months we have seen very little end game content added to the game. What has been added has mostly been repeative mechanical boss fights and little else, nothing to story, nothing to companions, little to solo play and the flash points and ops aren't exactly 9 months of content there.

TOR needs more content and more reasons for people to log in. The idea that all players want is to gear grind in ops or fight club valor in PvP quickly loses its appeal. A couple too many wipes or poorly balanced matches and what little fun is gone and a gear grind for the sake of gear grinding seems a poor reason to keep logging in and not try something different.