Name changes

chris_rw

To be fair, it was worded in the usual EAware speak and was not clear. There was no indication in all the information presented that EVERYONE was being moved to NEW servers (the current survers we are on only have the "names" of the old servers but are in fact new servers).

The thing is even with some ambiguity, which a number of us discussed the night before and figured it out (oh my gosh, the forum had a constructive disussion about a communications and figured out what it meant! :) ) and knew it was going to be all servers moving to new super servers before maintenance. The only people that did not understand this (and those that seem most bent) were people on servers with names = the new super servers and they assumed they would not be moved.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for communications...... as a forum member, you completely missed the multiple pages of information (including an FAQ) communicated on Monday about what was going to happen, and how?

I suppose that it's unacceptable that some people don't check forums and log into the game every single day. Some people actually leave their houses for school, work or both, and god forbid there be something that comes up that keeps you away for a few days!

It is not like they just found out on Monday so why leave us in the dark?

I agree.

However, they are not the end of the world.

Your level of venting would be justified IMO (see how I noted it was my opinion), IF Bioware changed your name to avoid a naming conflict and did not let you change it. That would be a truly FORCED name change.

I had name changes required on 9 characters in July. I changed them, was happy with the results, and moved along.

You all can just continue to rant if you like, but exactly what is achieved by it?

Hopefully change Andryah. Hopefully our posting our thoughts on this will make Bioware realize they need to get their **edit** together and think before they **edit** people over again...and again. This is the SECOND time they've done it...with the same level of disconnect.

Unlike you, I'm not happy with how every customer, except a few, got shafted AGAIN yesterday. I didn't have to change any names...lucky me huh?! But...I'm not selfish enough to not care about other players. WE are the community...not just you. WE all matter...despite any difference in opinion.

Regardless of when they made their characters, I should not have to rename 3 of mine... I was on this server before the,, so no matter what, should have priority.

Would you like for the government to tell you that you were being forced to move home so that an immigrant, who has just come to your country can live in your house? No?

I invest a lot of effort into naming my characters, so to have to change the name, because somebody was transferred from a dead realm (and is probably inactive) is completely unfair.

If I am not allowed to keep my names, I am cancelling my sub and not renewing. It is unfair, I was on this realm first. My characters names are my characters themselves, to have to change it makes all the time I have spent on it a waste.

Yeah. you're right. 24 hours is plenty of time. /sarc

And, if they had communicated their plan two weeks in advance, exactly what would be different today?

That is my point..... they did not issue a ballot and ask the players how they want their name changed during conflicts, they made a plan that would have the least impact overall (no way it won't impact some) and went with it.

I find it funny how people are completely ignoring the fact that they complete moved the entire game population (both active and inactive) to a smaller number of super servers, WITH VIRTUALLY NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. No disruptions of mail, GTN, etc. The biggest impact being some people had to resolve naming conflicts with a name change and the UI got reset to default.

I had 14 characters moved and didn't have to rename a single one... people need to either be more original with naming or stop caring so deeply for things which they don't even own

I agree. But the mad people will not listen.

I had 9 renames on voluntary moves in July. I picked more unique names at that time, and did not have any name changes this time around.

The thing is even with some ambiguity, which a number of us discussed the night before and figured it out (oh my gosh, the forum had a constructive disussion about a communications and figured out what it meant! :) ) and knew it was going to be all servers moving to new super servers before maintenance. The only people that did not understand this (and those that seem most bent) were people on servers with names = the new super servers and they assumed they would not be moved.

I wasn't in that conversation because I was actually playing the game. :D I don't usually post at night only during the day when it's slow at work, so I missed that thread. :cool:

Given that I didn't see the discussion I created my own thread yesterday and asked if everyone was moved. Blackavaar kindly responed and gave me the 411. So count me amongst those that were confused. The wording was vague. You have to admit that the communication skills of this community team are woefully lacking in some of the most simple public relation aspects of communicating. They also do NOT write clearly so as to avoid abiguity. This leads people to think they are hiding something. Maybe they are or maybe they are just not proffesional enough to relize their mistakes. But, they are making mistakes. Basic mistakes.

I find it funny how people are completely ignoring the fact that they complete moved the entire game population (both active and inactive) to a smaller number of super servers, WITH VIRTUALLY NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. No disruptions of mail, GTN, etc. The biggest impact being some people had to resolve naming conflicts with a name change and the UI got reset to default.

They merged a few databases and we're supposed to be all giddy?! LOL! Happens every day in other businesses /yawn

They failed to discuss this at ALL with their customers. Once again, completely ignoring those who are actively PAYING and impacted by this. Names mean things. Identities, online, are important. They picked the worst possible way of doing this.

This is an accomplishment. I will say "kudos" to the Engineering Team for pulling this off. :cool:

They merged a few databases and we're supposed to be all giddy?! LOL! Happens every day in other businesses /yawn

They failed to discuss this at ALL with their customers. Once again, completely ignoring those who are actively PAYING and impacted by this. Names mean things. Identities, online, are important. They picked the worst possible way of doing this.

They moved millions of characters and all their posessions. Hardly trivial as you want to portray it.

As for paying customers.... please show me where you have the right to be privvy to every detail of what they do? I would like to see that please.

And NO, they did not pick the worst possible way of doing this. They could have just issued everyone a random number as a name and not let you change it. That would have been way worse. So please, stop with the hyperbole. I understand you are mad, but hyperbole serves no purpose.

I had the same names on 4 Servers i to started on day one on swtor and i love the names i had. i got a full list of names and they screw with my bests ones. Two of them is my kids names. i'm on Tomb of Freedon Nadd and all my names was on their but now i got to rename 4 of toons and rename 5 from the other servers :( These name was part of my life and i bet the other me is not even playing :( I was a hard core fan but now i don't think i will bother anymore :(

As I said, they merged the old, dead servers, with the active ones, so even if they did replace all servers with bigger ones, the fact is, people were only transferred if they were on a dead server, so they were more then likely inactive. So my point still stands about me getting priority.

They merged a few databases and we're supposed to be all giddy?! LOL! Happens every day in other businesses.

To be fair this is an accomplishement for them. They didn't break anything. We don't have another maintenance to correct anything from this last round. :cool:

(( oh crap .. maintenance message incoming in 3 ... 2 ... :eek: ))

I'm surprised people aren't complaining and demanding credit back for the 1 minute they had to take to re-select their custom UI setting...

No, you were not. The servers today are new servers as of maintenance, even though some retained earlier server names. EVERY character on every account was moved on Tuesday.

New servers with old names are still old servers though. They replaced a server in wow with better hardware and oddly enough IT WAS STILL THE SAME SERVER :o /shock

They moved millions of characters and all their posessions. Hardly trivial as you want to portray it.

As for paying customers.... please show me where you have the right to be privvy to every detail of what they do? I would like to see that please.

And NO, they did not pick the worst possible way of doing this. They could have just issued everyone a random number as a name and not let you change it. That would have been way worse. So please, stop with the hyperbole. I understand you are mad, but hyperbole serves no purpose.

I never said I should be privy to it. I think it's basic business though to communicate something of this magnitude with your customers though.

And yes, they DID pick the worst possible way. Assigning everyone a random number and forcing EVERY player to change their name, would have rewarded those of us PAYING/PLAYING...not punish us because someone who quit the game 8 months ago took a name.

To be fair this is an accomplishement for them. They didn't break anything. We don't have another maintenance to correct anything from this last round. :cool:

(( oh crap .. maintenance message incoming in 3 ... 2 ... :eek: ))

True lol

I had 14 characters moved and didn't have to rename a single one... people need to either be more original with naming or stop caring so deeply for things which they don't even own

Well, it could very well be that other people had also taken some of your names but you had created them first so you got to keep them in the merge.