Just make four mega servers: PVP, PVE, RP-PVE, RP-PVP

AngelofMissy

I honestly don't see the need for an RP-PvP Server tbh. Not sure if those two really mix. The RP community seemed to do okay on Ajunta Pall, but weren't that noticeable. On Jung Ma, RPers are almost non-existent. Seems to me that they would be fine on their own dedicated RP server. Let the PvPers go somewhere else.

Only if they were still separated by region. I have a 12-20ms ping on Jedi Covenant and it's perfect.

I tried to play with a friend on a west coast server and had over 100-200ms ping on Drogga's Pleasure Barge. That's fine for PVE but high ping makes PVP impossible on the west coast for me as an east coast player. I'll jump to someone as a Jedi Knight and they are 7m away after I land. That kills my character's gameplay.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

Only if they were still separated by region. I have a 12-20ms ping on Jedi Covenant and it's perfect.

I tried to play with a friend on a west coast server and had over 100-200ms ping on Drogga's Pleasure Barge. That's fine for PVE but high ping makes PVP impossible on the west coast for me as an east coast player. I'll jump to someone as a Jedi Knight and they are 7m away after I land. That kills my character's gameplay.

I'm in the west coast (way west coast) and play on an east coast server (my friends are, I mean were, there), and I don't have any lag issues like that... unless my hubby is hogging the bandwidth! :D

I'm in the west coast (way west coast) and play on an east coast server (my friends are, I mean were, there), and I don't have any lag issues like that... unless my hubby is hogging the bandwidth! :D

I'm a West Coast player that has Imps on an East Coast server. I definitely experience latency issues on the East Coast server. My West Coast server average is 20-30 ms. My East Coast server average is 55-65ms with more lag spikes.

I stick with it to keep my factions separated, but the regional concern is a valid one.

I'm a West Coast player that has Imps on an East Coast server. I definitely experience latency issues on the East Coast server. My West Coast server average is 20-30 ms. My East Coast server average is 55-65ms with more lag spikes.

I stick with it to keep my factions separated, but the regional concern is a valid one.

I am not saying that the regional concern is not valid, but how does GW and GW2 manage the region issue then, since they have none, and it plays with less lag with high numbers of players around than this game?

I honestly don't see the need for an RP-PvP Server tbh. Not sure if those two really mix. The RP community seemed to do okay on Ajunta Pall, but weren't that noticeable. On Jung Ma, RPers are almost non-existent. Seems to me that they would be fine on their own dedicated RP server. Let the PvPers go somewhere else.

You ever meet a zabrak named Elgyn? Dude is in-character *constantly*; warzones, ops, flashpoints, even /1 sometimes.

Which one the super mega epic server that can hold up to 200,000 concurrent users without any lag if they work the kinks out in the future? :)

Or the

1 pvp

1 pve

1 rp?

I confusled :p

hehe, umm... ok, maybe I have had some wine tonight :D

Either one actually, if Bioware could pull it off. But being that we can flag for PvP (and this needs a little work to make sure it works as intended), then I vote for the super mega epic server. Would be fun!! All the PvP, PvE and RP all together! I know, I know, it's just a dream. :p

OMG spazcats you..are..awesome! I too love the idea of the super mega epic 1 server called the star wars galaxy!! BioWare could learn how to do something here with the pvp flag system. You don't see Luke and Vader changing to a pve server when they need to go on adventures do ya? :p NO. It's all done in the Star Wars galaxy. ONE SERVER!!

P.S. me had some win to :p;)

Really? There was a fun post on the PvP forums; "Looking for ideas on how to overcome extreme PvP imbalance on RP server."

The difference between a PvP server and a PvE server is that you can be attacked in the open world on a PvP server. Considering how the game goes up and beyond to make sure that the Republic and the Empire does not quest in the same areas, the world pvp in this game is as good as extinct. So the PvP and PvE tag is merely a suggestive tag that appeals to certain players.

And who responds to RP servers? Roleplayers? Naturally, but the majority of the people who play on roleplaying servers do not roleplay. Roleplaying is a genre of its own, but I feel that its definition has changed over the past few years. Ever heard someone saying that they are going a bit "RP" about something? That they take more time/care about specific things?

Even if a person isn't a roleplayer, they might still roll on a roleplaying server and abide by the rules of the community. There are a lot less "Darfvaderz"'s on roleplaying servers than any other type of servers (though they are not non-existant), because people generally show care for their characters and the universe they are set in, even if they do not actually roleplay. It's people like that that I want to play with.

Yet when it comes to PvE versus PvP, I'm a lot more PvP oriented. There was no shadow of a doubt in my mind that I wanted to roll on an RP-PvP server when this game launched, and I did. I played on Lord Calypho and I thought the server was great. The day before they opened transfers to the Tomb of Freedon Nadd (PvP server), I managed to get my weekly PvP quest done on the same day as it reset. I.e, the queues popped regularly enough, the server was by no means dying, despite what the doomsayers in the general chat might have said. I still believe that Lord Calypho was one of the healthier servers back before the server merges, and I think it was a very stupid move of Bioware to butcher the server, simply because they couldn't find a way to work around their policy. World of Warcraft has a lot of RP-PvP servers, so it is a label that is appealing to a lot of people.

And since it bears repeating; when Bioware finally found a way to work around their stupid policy they chose to funnel players from the RP-PvP server with only one destination; Tomb of Freedon Nadd. It took hundreds of posts from upset customers before they allowed a second destination; The Progenitor (RP-PvE). And to add insult to injury, a bioware poster actually had the gall to suggest to people that preferred RP-PvP servers to stay on the RP-PvP server, even though everyone had fled to greener pastures.

I have the mindset of an RP-PvPer. Despite the fact that I spend 99% of my time playing Warzones, I still chose to move to the normal RP server... and I was far from the only one. That might be why we see posts with the titles "Looking for ideas on how to overcome extreme PvP imbalance on RP server" on our PvP forums.

Rant. Over.

One server! One server! One server!

I have been saying it all along folks! 1 gigantic, super, epic, mega server that can host 100,000 concurrent players then you can flag yourself pvp if you want to open world pvp :) Trust me, it would be a HIT.

Choose your server

"The Star Wars Galaxy"

WOOTY WOOT!

I am not saying that the regional concern is not valid, but how does GW and GW2 manage the region issue then, since they have none, and it plays with less lag with high numbers of players around than this game?

Well...that could be a host of reasons, i.e. who knows.

I just know I experience latency issues in this game that appear to be regional in nature.

You ever meet a zabrak named Elgyn? Dude is in-character *constantly*; warzones, ops, flashpoints, even /1 sometimes.

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell. Does he/she PvP?

Considering how the game goes up and beyond to make sure that the Republic and the Empire does not quest in the same areas, the world pvp in this game is as good as extinct. So the PvP and PvE tag is merely a suggestive tag that appeals to certain players.

It certainly is true that BW designed the planets poorly for OPvP. However, once you get beyond some of the early planets, there is plenty of OPvP that happens organically as long as you are on a PvP Server. It's nowhere near RvR or WvW caliber stuff, but it does happen frequently. I know on both of the servers I play on there are nightly fights in either The Black Hole or Ilum around the questing areas.

So I completely disagree with the claim that a PvP Server is just a tag. I have leveled 2 Mains and 4 alts so far, all of which have participated in significant OPvP activity that simply does not happen on PvE Servers, essentially falsifying the claim that OPvP doesn't happen on PvP Servers.

Ex. Tatooine: http://bit.ly/Lk5LUN

Ex. Belsavis: http://bit.ly/KCQ9ER

There are a lot less "Darfvaderz"'s on roleplaying servers than any other type of servers (though they are not non-existant), because people generally show care for their characters and the universe they are set in, even if they do not actually roleplay.

This is an interesting point and made me recall an amusing experience. Essentially, the only RP I really saw on Jung Ma, apart from the stuff that happens in the cantina on Nar Shadaa, were arguments on starter planets about acceptable names. lol

I still believe that Lord Calypho was one of the healthier servers back before the server merges, and I think it was a very stupid move of Bioware to butcher the server, simply because they couldn't find a way to work around their policy.

This is interesting as well. Ajunta Pall was in a similar state before BW obliterated it. AP was actually rocking pretty well PvP-wise, had a fairly strong population, and a decent community. In fact, the experience on AP eclipsed anything I have witnessed so far on Jung Ma which ended up being the destination server for AP.

I have the mindset of an RP-PvPer. Despite the fact that I spend 99% of my time playing Warzones, I still chose to move to the normal RP server... and I was far from the only one.

Above you make the case that there is no OPvP on a PvP server. And in this statement you claim to run WZs 99% of the time. This is sort of my point. If you like to RP and just run WZs, then why is it necessary to even have a RP-PvP Server? Especially if you don't think there is any OPvP in this game. You can do all the things you want and get along fine on a RP-PvE Server, or perhaps I'm missing something in the point you made.

The whole idea of having one big server where you can flag for pvp if ya want WOULD completely kill the open world that this game does have all those random encounters while questing would be gone as people would be like "That guy is 2 levels over me! unflag!" and its always fun to grab some friends and go takeover one of enemies bases kill all the guard npc and create caos for 10 mins or so.

As for getting RP-PvP servers definatly not. I find that the RP-PvP servers have a culture to there own that I prefer to any of the other servers. I was on Ajunta Pall and am now on Jung Ma and felt that I fit into both communities better than on other servers. And to some extent PvP goes with RP as if a jedi ran across a sith while doing something for the council there would be a fight they would not just walk past each other casually.