Player Housing

Retneprac

My son plays that Star Wars the Clone Wars Adventures, and while watching him I thought, man, player housing in SWTOR would be a fantastic addition. Instead of doing it the SWG way where everybody just dropped their homes wherever they wanted, SWTOR could have player Apartments, sky scrapers and what not. They could be located on the core worlds of Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. There could be basic apartments all the way up to high rise penthouse suites based of course on a for credit system. Add some decoration loot and collections, and BAM, you've just introduced a new money sink + something for people to do in the off time.

My son plays that Star Wars the Clone Wars Adventures, and while watching him I thought, man, player housing in SWTOR would be a fantastic addition. Instead of doing it the SWG way where everybody just dropped their homes wherever they wanted, SWTOR could have player Apartments, sky scrapers and what not. They could be located on the core worlds of Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. There could be basic apartments all the way up to high rise penthouse suites based of course on a for credit system. Add some decoration loot and collections, and BAM, you've just introduced a new money sink + something for people to do in the off time.

Player housing is one of the soft features that many players feel SWTOR needs (among lots of other soft features) to provide more longevity, character bonding and also to keep players from phasing in and out of the game between content updates.

Player housing has been implemented in a number of other MMORPGs very successfully. The main one I can think of is SWG where not only could a player "place" their house anywhere in the sandbox game world but could also decorate the house and hang stuff on the walls, in fact move or hang items anywhere with the ability to move stuff by 1 mm at a time if you wanted in order to get everything just so. It was a novel way to show off rare loot and rare quest rewards, I myself had an extensive trophy room displaying all my rares and holo's etc. SWG also let you buy player crafted furniture to put in your house :)

Crafters could also set up vendor droids in their houses so that other players could come buy from them in the house and take a look around :)

A lot of players spent literally hours decorating their houses, it was very popular indeed :)

Of course, some people do not care for player housing to litter the game landscape so perhaps in SWTOR housing would need to be instanced like in LOTRO. Think of each instance as a neighbourhood containing maybe a dozen players houses. LOTRO even allows you to decorate your garden I believe :)

There are a number of threads worth checking out for opinions on player housing but I personally would love to see it, along with a number of other soft features that are the sorts of things that keep people playing when they just dont fancy PvPing or levelling an alt :)

Driz

We already have them and they're called Starships. The Galaxy is at our feet, to roam the stars themselves! I would like to have more options in my ship though, just like you said :rak_03:

This.

A chance to decorate or physically modify one's starship would be great.

This.

Definitely would be the obvious solution, however I think that technically it might be a challenge as our starships are used so often in cutscenes and other technical issues.

Similarly, this is a TP game after all, the zones are build on that basis so I doubt it would work ala SWG with player houses being placed anywhere as long as its outside of a main NPC city. I think it would have to be player housing ala LOTRO with instanced neighbourhoods giving the same level of functionality foudn in SWG. The ability to craft furniture etc would also give crafters something else to make money out of :)

Driz

Definitely would be the obvious solution, however I think that technically it might be a challenge as our starships are used so often in cutscenes and other technical issues.

Similarly, this is a TP game after all, the zones are build on that basis so I doubt it would work ala SWG with player houses being placed anywhere as long as its outside of a main NPC city. I think it would have to be player housing ala LOTRO with instanced neighbourhoods giving the same level of functionality foudn in SWG. The ability to craft furniture etc would also give crafters something else to make money out of :)

Driz

They could get around that easily enough, like when you go into a cutscene on the ship and your helmet is suddenly missing :D

They could get around that easily enough, like when you go into a cutscene on the ship and your helmet is suddenly missing :D

And your rifle toting trooper suddenly has a pistol?

It depends on how they've got it set up, but yeah, it puts you in the cutscene with your modified appearance i.e. your armor meshes and what not...

Edit: The real technical challenge will be is it your ship? Is it a high rise apartment? If it's your ship, how do you get people onto it without you? Or worse, when you're offline? Can you stick a vendor in it? Then they REALLY need to get folks on the ship when you're offline. What happens to your ship and the vendor when you're actually using it? If you hop on someone's ship, and buy their relic of decorati-ness, and they're busy planet hopping, then what? Do you have to hop behind them? Can people who don't have their ship yet finally board a ship?

Edited by FunkyOne

That would be great. EQ2 has instanced housing with vendors that people can get into even when you are offline. The decoration options are fantastic and we REALLY need something like that in this game. Sadly, I don't see this ever happening because Bioware doesn't seem to be able to keep up with what they've already built. There are still bugs in the Smuggler storyline that have been in there since closed beta (well over a year now) and they've not even addressed those.

We already have them and they're called Starships. The Galaxy is at our feet, to roam the stars themselves! I would like to have more options in my ship though, just like you said :rak_03:

I've just 'discovered' the :rak_04: icons. You've all been warned :D

No I don't think so.

The ships fail in this category.

Ships don't come any where close to player housing.

They could but I don't see it happening any time soon with the pace we have now on updates.

people are not going to wait years for things to get right in this game.

They may come back if the content is released.

The problem EA/Bio Ware has now is too many new mmo's are coming out that have all the features players want in a mmo game.Therefor why the mass exodus to guild wars 2.

No I don't think so.

The ships fail in this category.

Ships don't come any where close to player housing.

They could but I don't see it happening any time soon with the pace we have now on updates.

people are not going to wait years for things to get right in this game.

They may come back if the content is released.

The problem EA/Bio Ware has now is too many new mmo's are coming out that have all the features players want in a mmo game.Therefor why the mass exodus to guild wars 2.

Why are ships not similar to player housing.

Cause you cannot decorate them?

You can't decorate them, people can't visit them easily, you can't stick a vendor with a lower cost of doing business in them.

Visiting them is as easy as clicking one button once and for a certain high price fee you can have venders and the GTN (for a crazy price) on them. You can even lower that cost for venders on somethings if you want to deal with a cool down. All legacy driven of course.

So saying ships don't come close to player housing is not entirely true, since the only things thats not similar is decorating them.

Edited by Quraswren

This isn't a new concept. In older videos and in the begining, SW:TOR had just this in addition to one's ship going to be fully customizable...then that was coming "soon" then it fell into memory. Appartments were going to be instanced obviously though. I can't recall why it was yanked though honestly.

Edited by Eillack

Visiting them is as easy as clicking one button once and for a certain high price fee you can have venders and the GTN (for a crazy price) on them. You can even lower that cost for venders on somethings if you want to deal with a cool down. All legacy driven of course.

So saying ships don't come close to player housing is not entirely true, since the only things thats not similar is decorating them.

You cannot build player cities with ships.

You cannot have a mayor with ships.

You cannot have all your ships at the same place at the same time to represent a city or congregation.

You cannot have a city hall with ships.

Ships don't create community by them selves,a cluster of buildings together does.

You cant have your in tire guild on a ship for a guild meeting or a city citizenship meeting.

I can go on an on an on about listing examples.

People are asking for player housing this just does not mean the ship its self,its the whole concept of a civilization that players created,a establishment per say.

Ships don't come close to this at all.

This.

I agree.

We don't need player housing because we already have starships. We do neen more little perky things to do to customize our starships (inside), which I am sure will come with time.

And frankly, player housing is over-rated in MMOs for the most part. And to use a litmus test in the industry... if it was so great... Blizzard would have added it years ago to their MMO. They never miss a commerical opportunity.

I totally support this, but only if done in an instanced fashion like some other games I've played.

Apartment buildings as you mention are a great idea. Pick a particular area, and head to the lobby, enter an elevator and either type in some code or type in the name of the player, and get dropped off at their front door on their "own floor". Then you can walk in (if the door is open) or will need to be let in if the player is there.

I don't want to see housing done in splayed out chaotic fashion where you can build what you want and then just leave it there. Recipe for grubby ghost towns, if you ask me.

But apartment complexes would be great. I'd love to have a nice spot with a window where my things were persistent and you could design it the way you want, and look out over Coruscant as the vehicles whizz by outside the window.

You cannot build player cities with ships.

You cannot have a mayor with ships.

You cannot have all your ships at the same place at the same time to represent a city or congregation.

You cannot have a city hall with ships.

Ships don't create community by them selves,a cluster of buildings together does.

You cant have your in tire guild on a ship for a guild meeting or a city citizenship meeting.

I can go on an on an on about listing examples.

People are asking for player housing this just does not mean the ship its self,its the whole concept of a civilization that players created,a establishment per say.

Ships don't come close to this at all.

NO, you are asking for free form sandbox player housing. This is the wrong game for that. You need to let it go.

NO, you are asking for free form sandbox player housing. This is the wrong game for that. You need to let it go.

Wrong game because its such a heavy theme park right?

I half agree...but what's wrong with giving free form player housing in an instance then? I cannot see any objection to that from the "this is themepark" viewpoint??

Driz

I've just 'discovered' the :rak_04: icons. You've all been warned :D

The problem with starships is they are:

1. Used in cutscenes.

2. Aren't designed from the ground up to be customiable (inside or out).

This is very important as it really affects what can be done (although I do want cusomisable ships too :)).

Where as specific player housing can be designed from the ground up to BE customisable as something like SWG or EQ2 housing was.

Wrong game because its such a heavy theme park right?

I half agree...but what's wrong with giving free form player housing in an instance then? I cannot see any objection to that from the "this is themepark" viewpoint??

Driz

It would be quite possible, and could even be done very, very well with a bit of imagination.

Even if it's just in the context of "plots" you can buy within an instance that then you can "sandbox" how you like. :rak_03:

Hee hee, makes me think of mog houses in FFXI.

I would like both... to decorate my starship a bit more AND to have player housing. I like the idea of having some on the core worlds but I think having the option on Nar Shaddaa would be good too for those of us that like cross-faction RP and just the overall feel of that planet. Party time!

They could instance it like they do the ships. And having mini games to play in them would be fun too. Like being able to add a game table in your house. Any one in your group (thinkin a raid size max would work) can come into your instance if they choose, just like in game already. Or arcade game terminals inside would be awesome, didn't they show something like that in their April Fools video? Cracked me up but it'd be great. Especially if your first play of the day granted a daily comm (or a level-appropriate planet comm for <50.) Juke boxes too with more music options.. in your ship and in your house. XD

I really hope some day it is implemented, that'd be a ton of fun.

It would be quite possible, and could even be done very, very well with a bit of imagination.

Even if it's just in the context of "plots" you can buy within an instance that then you can "sandbox" how you like. :rak_03:

Thats exactly what I am thinking...my own experience was with SWG however I understand LOTRO has instanced free form housing in the sense that each instance represents a neighbourhood with maybe 15 houses in it. Inside that instance players are free to decorate both house and garden. The instance would also give the feel of a little village or town which will assist in the feeling of living in a community imo.

So basically create X number of instances with 15 apartments or houses each, sell lots in each instance and make the level of decorating functionality as rich as it was in SWG.....job done :)

Driz