Don't roll healer

Ebslike

Typed a long *** reply to the people calling me a troll or a noob but it's really not worth it. For whoever wants to listen: healing in this game is not like other MMO's that use the holy trinity (DPS / healer / tank) and the resource system on Smugglers is designed to let a DPS choose between quick burst or longer sustained DPS and does not work well for healers.

Have fun with the game no matter what class you play, if you do enjoy your Sawbones healer, good for you!

EDIT: Going to stop replying, most people seem to misunderstand my meaning in the main post so there is no point in discussing any further, it will only lead to more misunderstanding.

Edited by Ebslike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my added 2 cents: Sith inquisitor heals take way too long to activate AND are weak. It should either be they have long activation and are strong, or have fast activation and are weak, not both. I dont' know about Jedi. And really, it seems to me that force users should be the top healers, not smugglers and agents, that just makes no sense. Those who control "magical" power over LIFE FORCE can't heal as well as little medical devices? Um... wth?

Level 22 Smuggler Sawbones, rerolling.

• Resource system punishes you when you actually have to heal.
  • User interface does not work in PvP, most of the time. Health bars do not update.
  • PvP bolster buff does not scale well with healing. I realize this might and probably will be diffirent at level 50, but I don't play games just to have fun in the future.
  • Weak in solo PvE, not that bad because your companion is a bit stronger then others (so I hear) but seeing a Jedi / Trooper clear a camp in 5 seconds that takes you a minute is just dumb.
  • A single DPS will destroy you in PvP, you have no chance to do anything in return because you do 0 damage.

QQ-mode off, flame away. I'll be in-game doing something that actually matters!

Smugglers seem to have been weak for a while as healers, but my question to you is if you're a healer why are you doing anything else but casting heals?

The UI is not perfect, that is true.

PvP? Oh I see this is a "don't roll healer for PvP" cry, not a don't roll a healer.

Ever hear of grouping? Try doing some of the later flashpoints without a healer.

Paper, Rock, Scissors model. Isn't that what they said they used for 1v1 PvP?

Smugglers seem to have been weak for a while as healers, but my question to you is if you're a healer why are you doing anything else but casting heals?

I mean, when the healing you do matters (IE people take more then just a little damage), I do nothing else but heal and I top every ops for healing. This discussion is pointless since there seem to be very varied opinions and a lot of misunderstand by what I mean in my OP.

Have fun playing the game!

Just my added 2 cents: Sith inquisitor heals take way too long to activate AND are weak.
I've had no problems at the lower levels - Dark infusion seems quite powerful to me. Of course, as with all healing, it depends mostly on the rest of your group and their ability to interrupt boss abilities, not stand in the fire, etc. Healing is always either the easiest job in the world or the most difficult depending on who you are grouped with.

Levelling up as a healer-speced sith sorcerer has felt quite easy so far. I don't know what it'll be like at the higher levels, but I can usually take on groups (my own level) with several strong mobs and maybe even an elite if i'm really careful to use CC, interrupts, knockbacks, etc. (i've been keeping my tank companion Khem Val fairly up-to-date with gear, which i guess helps a lot too)

Healing in PvP is fun basicly have youre healing abilities and CC abilities do not just heal youre target see if you can spot who is attacking him throw a stun at him giving youre DPS the chanse to take him down.

PFor Example aying as a Sage and having the kickback works wonders aswell by throwing enemies of bridges or into slime and having a stun directly after means you can kill people / prevent youre group getting killed.

Personally i do enjoy healing and having no problem soloing and killing mobs at all do i kill it slower then a DPS yes do i find it unfair ? No

Cause basicly i have seen DPS get killed alot of times on elites that i easily can kill

Edited by Varghjerta

I played as a healer in many MMO and i have a lot of experience over this argument.

I also enjoy my Jedi Sage, she's adorable while saving the lives of many players. It is a bit hard to heal compared to other games, but nothing impossible, just needs practice.

As for "healer needs too much time to kill some one npc"... you should've thought of that when making a healer, they are allways like that, in every game.

I hate when people say this, some people always say this in MMOs. It makes people not want to play a healer, because if they do anything but heal and they try to have some fun they're yelled at and blamed for any failure the team makes. They should make healers effective enough at healing that they don't have to heal constantly, so the player behind the healer character can have fun shooting stuff with the rest of the group WHILE he heals, instead of jsut healing. More people would play healers then, because it would be more fun than standing around healing the other people who are all having more fun than you blasting enemies.

I hate when people say this, some people always say this in MMOs. It makes people not want to play a healer, because if they do anything but heal and they try to have some fun they're yelled at and blamed for any failure the team makes. They should make healers effective enough at healing that they don't have to heal constantly, so the player behind the healer character can have fun shooting stuff with the rest of the group WHILE he heals, instead of jsut healing. More people would play healers then, because it would be more fun than standing around healing the other people who are all having more fun than you blasting enemies.

So basicly turn Healers into DPS because you don't like healing?

Healer is always good and give players easier ways to heal it just will mean that bad players will be able to keep some people alive and players that can press a button on time will be overpowered

• User interface does not work in PvP, most of the time. Health bars do not update.
  • PvP bolster buff does not scale well with healing. I realize this might and probably will be diffirent at level 50, but I don't play games just to have fun in the future.
  • Weak in solo PvE, not that bad because your companion is a bit stronger then others (so I hear) but seeing a Jedi / Trooper clear a camp in 5 seconds that takes you a minute is just dumb.
  • A single DPS will destroy you in PvP, you have no chance to do anything in return because you do 0 damage.

is nothing new healers lack damage but make up for it with ya know healing, as for healing not scaling sounds like a bug, because we heal based on a prime stat thus if that stat goes up so to should your healing out put. As an SI:sorc i have yet to really have any issues with healing or dps in general, its MUCH lower then my friends marauder but still not horrible, tossing some dots on at start of a fight or, just letting my companion rampage accross field being pretty much immortal do to my healing is fine.

sounds to me like your hating the operative healing maybe you should try BH its, pretty amazing i played it in beta and loved it. SI also has alot of front loaded healing which i find great though hate having 0 aoes till 50... anyway not seeing the issues you listed.

It's all about energy management.

The only problem I have with my scoundrel are the 'oh s**t' scenarios. At the moment (I'm lvl 25) my scoundrel can't handle the 'oh s**t' scenarios too easily because of the energy spikes they need. The 'oh s**t' button (that regenerates energy really quickly) needs to be buffed a little.

We also need mouse over casting and an easier way to tell what the health of companions are.

Generally, no healer should be able to "burst" down a dps class. Proper resource management + positioning + defensive cooldowns should be important. If as a healer, you expect to stand still, deal damage, and chain heal as a DPS beats on you, expect to lose against really good dps in PvP. And if you expect to keep the ball handler alive while he/she is being whaled on by 3 sentinels, while being harassed by a shadow...then you might want to consider playing a different game.

Now, if you stun, knockback, move away, apply minor DoTs, then you will stand a strong chance.

As for PvE healing...no. As a trooper, you get a resource-free mini-heal to top people off. As a scoundrel, you get acces to Upper Hand heals, and a Sage is more traditional, as their resource pool is linear.

If you chain cast your resource-sucking heals, you will be out of resources in no time. There is never any reason to spam heals. Applying shields(sage), using Upper Hand, and the mini-gun heal from the Trooper are good ways to "regen" and allow for some breathing space. Now if your party members are going bat-crazy pulling everything, and standing in fire, well, then there is no hope.

And killing npcs as fast as a dps class...what? You want to have heals, and equivalent dps as a dps class...uh yeah...right...Though I do agree that leveling as a pure healer is frustrating, but that's why I tend to only roll healer with friends, or spec DPS til max level and switch over to heals...though I do have a lot of experience healing in other MMOs, so YMMV.

As for the UI....yeah there are so many minor little UI bugs that I am in total agreement.

Overall the mechanics for healing are fine. They may need some tweaking and re-tuning, but it's not that doom and gloom.

Rift Chloromancer does exactly this - dps is converted into heals with some casted heals to boot. Very very fun to play. I have a harder time healing as a pure healer, I get bored with just spamming heals and doing 0 dps.

Commando healing lower levels is very similar to OP's plight. We have 2 casted heals, one on CD with a shorter cast time that isn't any better than spamming the long heal. hammer shot heals are laughable. If all you're doing is spamming casted heals, any dps that locks on you can burn you down. Healing PVE as dps works pretty well, as long as you're not the only one healing. Did hammer station with 3 dps commandos and a knight tank. It would've been a struggle if it was just me healing.

Rift Chloromancer does exactly this - dps is converted into heals with some casted heals to boot. Very very fun to play. I have a harder time healing as a pure healer, I get bored with just spamming heals and doing 0 dps.

Commando healing lower levels is very similar to OP's plight. We have 2 casted heals, one on CD with a shorter cast time that isn't any better than spamming the long heal. hammer shot heals are laughable. If all you're doing is spamming casted heals, any dps that locks on you can burn you down. Healing PVE as dps works pretty well, as long as you're not the only one healing. Did hammer station with 3 dps commandos and a knight tank. It would've been a struggle if it was just me healing.

WAR's warrior priest & shaman are also like this. WP is probably the most fun healer I have played in an MMO, and I also had a capped Chloro in Rift.

Also, I like how the posts about the raid frames got deleted from the thread ;P.

OP is just bad at the game.

I betaed an IA healer through 45 levels. (So frustrating to get the re-roll at 45.) I didn't win any 1-on-1 PVP confrontations, but I did plenty of damage before going down (and came pretty close to beating two at once on a Hoth open world ganking encounter). As for PvE, yes, the Sith Marauders were quicker at clearing the chaff, but I had a better chance surviving the champion-and-better encounters by just letting my companion do all the work for me. (Note that this did cause a bug in once instance because I was required to deliver the killing blow, but that has nothing to do with archetype inadequacies.)

Can someone delete this thread?

Just because you can't play a healer well does not mean everyone else should stop playing a healer.

I, for one, love my Trooper healing a lot. It is hard 20-29 but it gets a lot easier afterwards, believe me.

Healers have a hard time? Come on, I can solo the group quests people make a full team for. Things DO take a long time to die and I somewhat envy the AoE "total group kill in 3 seconds flat" some troopers do... But having a Tanking companion and being a Healer makes you nearly an unstoppable force .... if you're a good healer, that is.

I should point out that I play a Sage, and was one of the top 10 characters Republic-side on my server as of last night. (That has probably changed by now, since I'm at work today...)

My advice to you is that if you really want to be powerful in PvP, do what healers do best: work with other players. Find a friend and group queue; a coordinating healer+dps or healer+tank combo can dominate most matches. (Healer+Tank is great for defending points and running huttballs; healer+dps is great for attacking points and killing ball carriers.)

You talk like once this game is launched tonight that bioware will never update it again....tard