Accents?

JusticeArts

I’m going to try and word this the best that I can. I’m curious and hope that no one takes this the wrong way, but I’ve always noticed that in Star Wars the majority of the good side (early Republic and the later Rebels) speak with an American & strong southern American accent while the enemy side mostly speak with European English accents. My question is how does the European area take hearing their accents as being used by the majority of the dark enemy side (Empire and late Republic)? Does anyone feel offended by this? Edited by JusticeArts

everyone knows the British are evil...

I think it's more because we don't care about being portrayed by villains in popular media. We've got a fair amount of positive characters (James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, The Doctor) to off-set what would usually be stereotype forming.

And, yeah, we did kind of own a great deal of the world. Kind of helps the image of the Empire.

Well, this is how I think of it. The Star Wars movies were produced and targeted at an American audience, so the "enemy" in the movies was given a foreign accent. That way, you subconsciously sympathize and place yourself with the good guys (familiar accents and speech patterns) while the enemy has a tinge of foreignness and "other" to them.