9 months in, and social-wise...

Angedechu

Imho if some guild is whispering and asking to join them, there is a great chance that the guild is not worth joining. If that happens, it's always "Thanks for the offer, I'll think about it" answer :D

If you are looking for a guild, just keep your eyes open for guild names while doing things via group finder and running around the fleet. It takes a while but you will start to notice which guilds are good options. Then YOU ask them about joining.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to exit from my third guild since release - I've loved being in all of them, but too many people quit, including officers, and the guilds die out. My point is, it's not that hard to get in a friendly active guild if you hang around the fleet and try to announce that you're looking or try to talk to people you meet and like while doing flashpoints or whatever - but it's hard to find one with staying power. Edited by Asavrede

....the game have not moved much for me

After a hiatus, I turned my first 50 in june, and I started doing doing HMs using the group finder and my Healer (it was impossible to do them before). I do two or three of HM flashpoints per week, and I find that fun. I have a single alt, that is around level 30. I level her with flashpoints when I have time (one time per week)

I'm polite in groups and all, and I can pride myself to always heal my tanks and healers till the end (except in a single case since june)

Not a single guild offer-I did not even saw guild offers in chat. Not a single people in my friend list (or putting me on their friend list, I think). I tried a single time to use the chat to purchase crafting items, and I was scrounged-I thus never use the GTN, preferring to vendor sell the purples I get from time to time.

When I queue for my dungeons (I have not left the fleet since june), I can be online for 10-20 minutes, at primetime, with 200 people on fleet (or 180 more recently) without anyone talking.

I never felt that lonely.

You're a healer and people aren't talking to you? My sage is specced for damage (i should have rolled a shadow but long story there). And every time I get on more than 20 minutes on that toon, I get a bunch of tells asking do I heal. If we're on the same server, I can't imagine you not getting them too.

I think half the problem with General Chat is that a significant number of people (myself included) came into this game so jaded from others that one of the first things we did was turn General off.

What I saw in general chat during beta almost made me not buy the game.

....the game have not moved much for me

After a hiatus, I turned my first 50 in june, and I started doing doing HMs using the group finder and my Healer (it was impossible to do them before). I do two or three of HM flashpoints per week, and I find that fun. I have a single alt, that is around level 30. I level her with flashpoints when I have time (one time per week)

I'm polite in groups and all, and I can pride myself to always heal my tanks and healers till the end (except in a single case since june)

Not a single guild offer-I did not even saw guild offers in chat. Not a single people in my friend list (or putting me on their friend list, I think). I tried a single time to use the chat to purchase crafting items, and I was scrounged-I thus never use the GTN, preferring to vendor sell the purples I get from time to time.

When I queue for my dungeons (I have not left the fleet since june), I can be online for 10-20 minutes, at primetime, with 200 people on fleet (or 180 more recently) without anyone talking.

I hear ya honey, I would suggest posting a thread in the community forum. I was feeling much the same way you are feeling and posted a thread looking for a friend there I've had several hits regarding grouping since. I've even managed to forge a friendship with another player as result of that post.

So my advice to you is mention what server your on so other players on that server can find you and keep on keeping on. Somebody will bite because not everybody wants to play solo myself being one of those people. And by the by Im on Canderous Ordo server and if you are feel free to shoot a message next time your on. Or you could send a pm through threads. Good luck with that :D

I find the lack of social interation quite concerning. The only time I chat is when people are unsure about the boss mechanics on a flash point, if we want to discuss who does what or if someone makes a mistake and most of the time everyone is helpful and nice at that point. People dont tend to be jerks but there is no roleplay and I put that down to the type of game, the lack of character customization and the lack of speach bubbles and social opertunities.

i am virtually crying over this fact... im been rick rolled into purchasing a mmo which in fact is a singleplayer game with cooperation mode...

I GOT FOOLED

No sounds like you didn't do proper research and are crying about it.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

You use GF for the FPs but how many conversations do you get into during those Flashpoints?

Ive done them and its next to nothing said.

Just load up, go over rules and run run run

The players today DO NOT stop and joke around, have social interaction

I came from City of Hereos - this is my first non-COH MMORPG - and over there we would have an 8 man team of random strangers ALL day long. Occasionaly someone would drop out and the team leader would grab someone new and we'd push on, but for the most part the Beatles stayed together past Let It Be. We would make jokes, complain about how that End Boss was too hard, self deprecate when someone when left while everyone went right and we all got killed, and generally had a good time.

Yesterday, I decided I was going to actively do a bunch of heroic missions - everything on Counscant. The Deed one, the plastic surgeon one, everything. The first thing right off the bat is that the group finder still sucks hard - but beyond that, keeping people together is impossible. Getting someone to chat is impossible. Getting anyone to say ANYTHING is impossible. Our group chat channel was a dead wasteland.

Okay, if it was just one Heroic Mission, I could dismiss it as a one-off. But every heroic was like that - I might as well be playing with three robots for all the chatter I would be getting. My companion says more and she only had 3 canned responses. All day long, it was like this.

So I guess it's back to single player missions for me. . . . .

can someone explain to me what this "special social" thing is that everybody wants in mmos? What is it that makes everybody go "omg..this game is sooo solo" when it has more tools in it than a lot of games to be mmo. MMO is just playing with thousands or hundreds of others. There has to be a special "thing" everybody wants for it to FEEL more social. They have things in the game for you to make it social, you don't want to be forced into socializing. I don't get it.

Why is this game so solo?

- There is no reason to group for 95% of PvE content. Grouping is less efficient, cumbersome, impossible (with same classes), and pointless. Clearly, the game was designed as a solo game, or perhaps a 2-4 player mutiplayer game but that mutiplayer aspect is only valid if the 2-4 players only play together. If one of the four solos for an hour, they would now be on a different part of the quest chain than the rest.

- There is no weakness to any class. Any weakness is negated by the NPC companion every character gets.

- There is never anything any player needs from any other player.

- "Worlds" in the game have no world-like flavor, they are just a series of interconnected solo quest areas where the only purpose of the area is to kill X number of badguys or click X number of glowies. No world map ever feels like a "real" world.

- Heroic and Flashpoint quests are the ONLY actual group content. Many of these are designed to be repeated over and over, resulting in them being robotically farmed over and over.

- In short... There is no option for people who want to group. There is no PvE content at all, minus Heroic/Flashpoints, that is designed for groups.

Why does it fail the social tests?

- See above. Solo game emphasis is death to social play.

- Very little character customizing. Everyone looks almost the same, all the time.

- Terrible choices were made in chat options. Giant range of /say, no chat bubbles, no cross-faction /tell all add up to a chat system that gets in the way of chat.

- Emphasis on the ridiculous over the practical. Vanity pets over more clothing options? Who do they make this crap for? In nearly 20 years of MMO's, I've yet to meet anyone, ever, who gives a rat's *** about vanity pets.

All in all, this isn't a bad game. It is, however, a solo game that ignored nearly two decades of MMORPG evolution in blind pursuit of the WoW dollars. The only evolutionary aspect to TOR is voice overs. Hey Bioware... Mark Hamill called and said "I did that in the 90's in Wing Commander!" Everything else is a watered down mash-up of generic MMO game mechanics.

Edited by CosmicKat

Grouping is less efficient, cumbersome, impossible (with same classes), and pointless.

a. You must be grouping with the wrong people. I group up on class and planet quests with friends all the time, and it is definitely faster/more efficient with the notable exceptions of the non-heroic Black Hole quests.

b. It is not impossible to run class quests while grouped with same-class characters. All it takes is a check-off in Preferences. Almost like work, I know.

That's funny. I constantly get guild invites on all of my non-guilded alts. I wish there was a way to automatically deny guild requests.

But to the OP. As someone else said. Just ask around. I know on Drooga's, there is always somebody spamming on fleet general chat for people to join their guilds.

There is an auto ignore. Under the Social section. Same place as Ignore Duel Requests.

Grouping is less efficient, cumbersome, impossible (with same classes), and pointless.

a. You must be grouping with the wrong people. I group up on class and planet quests with friends all the time, and it is definitely faster/more efficient with the notable exceptions of the non-heroic Black Hole quests.

b. It is not impossible to run class quests while grouped with same-class characters. All it takes is a check-off in Preferences. Almost like work, I know.

I should have said "fun" instead of "efficient". I agree, it is faster with a group if they aren't maroons. Faster isn't something this game needs though.

And yes I know it's possible to be grouped with the same class for class quests. It is also far less boring to just ungroup and then regroup afterwards. Class quests are usually very simple and involve a lot of dialog that nobody wants to watch several times over.

Not sure what server you're on, but sounds like perception has become reality. I constantly see guild ads in general chat. I also seem to get a guild offer every time I run in a PUG and I'll get random guild invites from people I don't even know that I decline. What would trading in chat have to do with the GTN? You don't use the GTN because you had one undesirable experience in chat trying to purchase a crafted item? That doesn't even make sense. The GTN has nothing to do with chat. Post an item on the GTN and let it sit until someone buys it....you don't need chat for that. Also, I've purchased and sold a lot of things through chat....you can't base everything off of 1 chat experience. And you're claiming nobody talks on your entire fleet for 20 minutes in primetime? Sorry, but I'm not buying that. I often have to turn my general chat off when I'm on the fleet because it gets distracting with the flood of nonsense being posted. Not saying that there's a lot of worthwhile chat happening on the fleet....but there's certainly a lot of chat in general.

Why is this game so solo?

- There is no reason to group for 95% of PvE content. Grouping is less efficient, cumbersome, impossible (with same classes), and pointless. Clearly, the game was designed as a solo game, or perhaps a 2-4 player mutiplayer game but that mutiplayer aspect is only valid if the 2-4 players only play together. If one of the four solos for an hour, they would now be on a different part of the quest chain than the rest.

- There is no weakness to any class. Any weakness is negated by the NPC companion every character gets.

- There is never anything any player needs from any other player.

- "Worlds" in the game have no world-like flavor, they are just a series of interconnected solo quest areas where the only purpose of the area is to kill X number of badguys or click X number of glowies. No world map ever feels like a "real" world.

- Heroic and Flashpoint quests are the ONLY actual group content. Many of these are designed to be repeated over and over, resulting in them being robotically farmed over and over.

- In short... There is no option for people who want to group. There is no PvE content at all, minus Heroic/Flashpoints, that is designed for groups.

Why does it fail the social tests?

- See above. Solo game emphasis is death to social play.

- Very little character customizing. Everyone looks almost the same, all the time.

- Terrible choices were made in chat options. Giant range of /say, no chat bubbles, no cross-faction /tell all add up to a chat system that gets in the way of chat.

- Emphasis on the ridiculous over the practical. Vanity pets over more clothing options? Who do they make this crap for? In nearly 20 years of MMO's, I've yet to meet anyone, ever, who gives a rat's *** about vanity pets.

All in all, this isn't a bad game. It is, however, a solo game that ignored nearly two decades of MMORPG evolution in blind pursuit of the WoW dollars. The only evolutionary aspect to TOR is voice overs. Hey Bioware... Mark Hamill called and said "I did that in the 90's in Wing Commander!" Everything else is a watered down mash-up of generic MMO game mechanics.

- Every quest on every class from 1-50 can be done as part ofa group

- It is faster to complete missions with other people

- You are rewarded with social points for grouping

- Heroic Missions, PvP, and Flashpoints whilst levelling require group interaction

- Heroic Dailies, Level 50 Bracket PvP, Endgame Flashpoints and Operations require groups

- LFG tool helps facilitate finding people at the same stage of questing and/or Flashpoints as you

- There is a guild feature and there are guilds for likeminded players to enjoyt he game together

- The GTN exists because of player interaction, you are crafting for other players to buy what you have put your effort in to

- There is general chat on each planet for general chatting and finding groups and on most servers an active global chat

Obviously we could debate the pros and cons of each of our points - but the game certainly isn't solo-centric just because you can level 1-50 on your own (as you can in every other MMO)

- Every quest on every class from 1-50 can be done as part ofa group

- It is faster to complete missions with other people

- You are rewarded with social points for grouping

- Heroic Missions, PvP, and Flashpoints whilst levelling require group interaction

- Heroic Dailies, Level 50 Bracket PvP, Endgame Flashpoints and Operations require groups

- LFG tool helps facilitate finding people at the same stage of questing and/or Flashpoints as you

- There is a guild feature and there are guilds for likeminded players to enjoyt he game together

- The GTN exists because of player interaction, you are crafting for other players to buy what you have put your effort in to

- There is general chat on each planet for general chatting and finding groups and on most servers an active global chat

Obviously we could debate the pros and cons of each of our points - but the game certainly isn't solo-centric just because you can level 1-50 on your own (as you can in every other MMO)

Ask yourself this question...

If TOR, exactly as it is now, were a solo game, could you level from 1-50?

The answer would certainly by a "yes". It would also, coincidentally be the easiest Bioware game ever.

Ask yourself this question...

If TOR, exactly as it is now, were a solo game, could you level from 1-50?

The answer would certainly by a "yes". It would also, coincidentally be the easiest Bioware game ever.

As I said, every MMO is easy to level from 1-50 on your own.

But my post still stands, there are more than a handful of multiplayer aspects to the game. Whether people choose to use them or not is down to the community and the player's choices, now the lack of social gaming options available.

Edited by Hessen

As I said, every MMO is easy to level from 1-50 on your own.

But my post still stands, there are more than a handful of multiplayer aspects to the game. Whether people to use them or not is down to the community and the player's choices, now the lack of social gaming options available.

No, it's not. That is a WoW "innovation".

Before WoW, levelling from 1-50 solo was so implausible as to be effectively impossible.

Even most post WoW MMO's retained the focus on groups vs. solo. The problem with TOR is there is no real group option at all. The only real option is to play the solo game with more people, and since it is seriously easy to begin with, hardly anyone goes that route. A handful of Heroics (that can be solo'ed once outleveled) and Flashpoints does not an MMO make.

What realm/server are you on OP?

I assume that its a server they shouldn't be...like a euro playing an US server at all the wrong times.

Just makes no sense to me that the OP would be on a server that coincides with where they live...the talk about no activity in general chat?!??!!! Impossible! If you're on "The Harbringer" at premium west coast times...there is no way general chat is dead! Same with "Canderous Ordo"...I know because I have toons on both servers. I just find it hard to believe the OP is playing at the appropriate times for the server their on.

You're clearly just making things up now.

Soloing to 50 was a WoW invention and even games since have put emphasis on groups instead of soloing from 1-50? Oh dear.

Soloing in EQ, and most games of its era, was slightly less than impossible. The only way to solo beyond the teens was to "kite" mobs.

I was asserting that most games since WoW have put some emphasis on group PvE levelling play. TOR has almost no emphasis at all on group PvE levelling play. There is NO difference in the game world between levelling solo or in a group. There is one path to level and it is exactly the same if you are alone or with 3 friends.