SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This program helped until Patch 1.4. Ever since then, no matter what I do, what selections I pick, etc what happens is this:

Even while using SWTOR Unleashed, for some reason the game still will load everything into its own processes and will still access the hard drive, just like it is completely ignoring the RAM disk. So what I end up with, is a duplicate of everything happening, it's updating in the RAM disk, and it's also doing the exact same thing in normal RAM and on my HD.

And yes, I tried using your updated package from a few posts back as well.

TBH, this could be something introduced with one of the Microsoft patches they put out lately, trying to make several parts of Windows 7 compatible with how Windows 8 handles RAM disks and administration, and it just went a wee bit wonky on my system.

Edit: I watched this happening using Process Explorer and Filemon.

Edited by Malkavier

This program helped until Patch 1.4. Ever since then, no matter what I do, what selections I pick, etc what happens is this:

Even while using SWTOR Unleashed, for some reason the game still will load everything into its own processes and will still access the hard drive, just like it is completely ignoring the RAM disk. So what I end up with, is a duplicate of everything happening, it's updating in the RAM disk, and it's also doing the exact same thing in normal RAM and on my HD.

And yes, I tried using your updated package from a few posts back as well.

TBH, this could be something introduced with one of the Microsoft patches they put out lately, trying to make several parts of Windows 7 compatible with how Windows 8 handles RAM disks and administration, and it just went a wee bit wonky on my system.

Edit: I watched this happening using Process Explorer and Filemon.

Try to uninstall ImDisk, reboot, install the latest one I provided, reboot, and use the latest unleashed.

Also it's normal it still copies data in its own process. Unleashed just creates hard links on the hard drive that links to files copied on the ram drive. But the games still has to read them to copy the content in its own process.

But I'm 200mb short, bwa :( And I have 512 pagefile for testing...

I added those check because I had more than enough of people complaining because their game was slower (because they just put too much in RAM drive). I don't want to hear anymoire about this misusing and misunderstanding issue so I forbid it. Don't be disappointed, I get you not to lose your time on this. Also, unleashed already take pagefile into account as available ram space.

Here It is. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxNNlA6DNBtKSVFRbnVNR1Rwb1k/edit?pli=1

If you need any info, PM me. btw, i can speak in french too if needed. Hope that helps

How come your SWTOR game folder is in Microsoft office folder? Hiding it? :)

EDIT : your log only shows one click on SWTOR Unleashed button. Instead I want to see : the first click, (wait for official launcher to appear, close it, restart unleashed) and the second click, then send me the log

Edited by exca

How come your SWTOR game folder is in Microsoft office folder? Hiding it? :)

EDIT : your log only shows one click on SWTOR Unleashed button. Instead I want to see : the first click, (wait for official launcher to appear, close it, restart unleashed) and the second click, then send me the log

Well it's not my main computer so, long story short, yes :-)

Here's the log https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxNNlA6DNBtKN2g1SnFlOHRLTnc hoping it helps. It has the same behavior on my main PC. Both are running x64 version of windows (one on seven, the other on 8)

thanks for your awesome job with this tool btw ! I wouldve quit the game by now because of its poor optimisation if you were'nt there :-)

I added those check because I had more than enough of people complaining because their game was slower (because they just put too much in RAM drive).

Also, unleashed already take pagefile into account as available ram space.

Uhm, which one is it? Because if it won't fit into RAM, it displays an error.

Also, I understand your reasoning for putting the restriction, I was just hoping for a parameter or a switch to run it of, never mind.

Uhm, which one is it? Because if it won't fit into RAM, it displays an error.

Also, I understand your reasoning for putting the restriction, I was just hoping for a parameter or a switch to run it of, never mind.

I understand. Anyway, I made the algorythm so that at least SWTOR + Unleashed first in real RAM while programs running in the background + windows fits in the remaining RAM + pagefile. Hope this explaination answers ya.

Anyway, going on holiday, be back in a week or so.

Well it's not my main computer so, long story short, yes :-)

Here's the log https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxNNlA6DNBtKN2g1SnFlOHRLTnc hoping it helps. It has the same behavior on my main PC. Both are running x64 version of windows (one on seven, the other on 8)

thanks for your awesome job with this tool btw ! I wouldve quit the game by now because of its poor optimisation if you were'nt there :-)

I'll examine it when i'll be back from holidays. Merry christmass everyone and happy end of the world!

pretty sad that fans are having to develop in game efficiency when the devs keep failing to optimize their game properly. This work with Windows 8?

Part of the reason is game developers make sure their games run on the most number of PC's possible. This game requires as little as 1.5 gig of RAM to work.

Using this great SWTOR Unleashed tool we can easily use an ADDITIONAL 4 gigs.

This tool is made for those who have an abundance of ram. Not for the least common denominator - as developers code for.

Edited by savadious

I'm sure it has been asked tons of times, and please forgive me for being redundant, I tried to look for it and even in other websites but I can't find a list with an explanation as to what all the assets are, anywhere. There are many assets I do not know what they are for, like zed, systemgernated rom, bnk, cnv, global, area misc, open worlds, raid, creature a, creature b, bfab, bfns, bmaf, areadat, etc, etc.

I have been using this for months (loving it by the way) ever since SWTOR Strategies wrote about it, and I basically just select fx, dynamic, diskcachearena, localapp, an extra 100mb and two more assets for the particular planet Im on.

I also don't understand the difference between swtoren-us and swtormain area in terms of the planet.

I have a feeling that the answer is right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it anywhere so again please forgive me for asking something, I am sure has been asked a zillion times. I even jumped through pages of this thread and still couldn't find any answers.

Where is the list of the asset descriptions?

Is it worth using this with 6gb of ram?

Just dont go passed 3gb for the total ram drive size and you should be fine. As long as you have 3gb still free. Its on the very first page of this thread. I highly recommend you read that page before trying it.

I just read the entire thread, and I didn't find a single question on what any of the assets are. So I guess it has not been asked a zillion times and I'm the first. I must be buggin. How does everyone know what the assets are?

I'm sure it has been asked tons of times, and please forgive me for being redundant, I tried to look for it and even in other websites but I can't find a list with an explanation as to what all the assets are, anywhere. There are many assets I do not know what they are for, like zed, systemgernated rom, bnk, cnv, global, area misc, open worlds, raid, creature a, creature b, bfab, bfns, bmaf, areadat, etc, etc.

I have been using this for months (loving it by the way) ever since SWTOR Strategies wrote about it, and I basically just select fx, dynamic, diskcachearena, localapp, an extra 100mb and two more assets for the particular planet Im on.

I also don't understand the difference between swtoren-us and swtormain area in terms of the planet.

I have a feeling that the answer is right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it anywhere so again please forgive me for asking something, I am sure has been asked a zillion times. I even jumped through pages of this thread and still couldn't find any answers.

Am I reading the first post correctly with what can be loaded into RAM, which for 12GB would be everything?

Only things running when I am playing (I play in full screen windowed) is Win7 64 (I think Pro, can't remember properly though and not at home to check), Mumble, and MoX Parser. Every now and again I will alt+tab out and open up Mozilla to browse.

Usually my FPS is running at 80-114 (max settings, no shadows, no anti-aliasing), but it goes down hill very fast in some places. Sometime I also get a spike down to 1, but I am never sure if that is a lag spike that causes that or due to some sound (I have noticed certain it happened when certain sound effects occur). My load times are usually fine as well, it's just these spikes I am trying to get rid of.

I just read the entire thread, and I didn't find a single question on what any of the assets are. So I guess it has not been asked a zillion times and I'm the first. I must be buggin. How does everyone know what the assets are?
Not sure if this would help you but I use ProcMon program to check HDD activity of the game when I play and if I play on Hoth and see some files accessed very frequently or with big data readouts then I add them to list as long as I am on the planet.

There is not such a list. You can try to figure it out yourself. As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting bored with the game, so I won't invest any more on time consuming tasks. I barely maintain the tool for my friends.

Am I reading the first post correctly with what can be loaded into RAM, which for 12GB would be everything?

Only things running when I am playing (I play in full screen windowed) is Win7 64 (I think Pro, can't remember properly though and not at home to check), Mumble, and MoX Parser. Every now and again I will alt+tab out and open up Mozilla to browse.

Usually my FPS is running at 80-114 (max settings, no shadows, no anti-aliasing), but it goes down hill very fast in some places. Sometime I also get a spike down to 1, but I am never sure if that is a lag spike that causes that or due to some sound (I have noticed certain it happened when certain sound effects occur). My load times are usually fine as well, it's just these spikes I am trying to get rid of.

No, not all. Just stick with DiskArena, LocalApp, Fx and Dynamic to start with.