Remove unranked queues

nellosmomishot

It's a good idea, but as others have said it needs full cross server queuing to be really effective. Without it, either there won't be enough people of the same rank to form a match (so no PVP at all) or the system would bring in people from outside your "bracket" to fill out the numbers, which is basically why ranked is so bad right now (a 1000 ranked team will be matched against a 2400 ranked team just because they're the only ones queuing), which is precisely why people keep clamoring for cross server ranked queues or solo to 4 man ranked queues (since getting a complete well rounded group of 8 geared people can be annoying for many people).

I definitely agree though that in the lower bracket matching people of roughly similar ranking (and possibly gear) would go a long way from keeping the squishy fresh 50s from getting completely steam rolled by the well geared teams and I think ultimately everyone would have more fun, except for the super geared people who get their jollies by steamrolling PUGS but screw those people.

Neo I read all of your posts, when are you going to do something besides state that it is ok, if that is your opinion fine you have stated it. What I am stating is that if the goal is to actually give decent competition in PvP then the current methodology is fatally flawed.

To back that up with facts gear is still one of the largest if not the largest determining factors in who does well or doesnt do well. If you are up against an all War Hero geared group and your group has multiple players that are Recruit geared or over Battlemaster only geared then you are going to lose 90% of the time. Competition for the group that is winning is nil, competition for the group that is getting stomped is negative and eventually they all group up and turtle.

In two comparably equipped groups you actually find out who are the better players. Most of the time it is competitive and the folks who are on the losing side if they are any good see what is done and can either come up with a counter to it or adopt the same tactics. In competitions with great gear discrepancy that is not possible for either side.

Also I agree too many stuns. doesnt matter how good you are if your one get out of stun free move is down and you get targetted you are dead meat and are going to be frozen while getting pounded. I do not put into the same category moves that slow or stop movement and still allow you the option of fighting back. If you cant figure out how to work in that environment then you probably need to stop doing pvp. Amazingly the number of people who have a cleanse ability and dont use it on themselves and die from dots. However I saw that same thing in WoW when running my Warlock in PvP, shrug seperates the sheep from the wolves.

I would also state that right now until we get the ability to run dual spec there is a better spec for PvE and a better spec for PvP and the advantage is always going to the toon with the PvP spec. Something that other games have addressed so it is doable and you would think would be a quick fix, that and a wardrobe function please so when doing dailies and the PvP instance pops I can immediately bounce into my gear would be nice.

I am not anti PvP, it is just that leveling up new toons which is one of the draws with the excellent story lines for this game is really frustrating because you get put in with people who stayed with one toon have the best gear and no you cannot compete you die a lot. You hurt the effort, I have heard some really nasty things said to people in PvP just because the toon just turned 50 and is in Recruit gear, those people are on ignore fast. It isnt that players problem it is a system that puts them in with players that are OP simply because of a gear discrepancy.

Then again I loved it with three War Hero Sith decided to do nothing but kill my character because I was the only non War Hero geared player in the game. I told my team I am going to lead these idiots way out into the boonies and that way you get a three for. I wasnt going to be much help on dps, however I took three who probably could have given their team a win running after me to get their kills. I got three MVP votes for doing something smart instead of griping, but it still wasnt a lot of fun and fun is what Bioware is selling, lose that and I have better ways of spending my time and money.

You still didn't state why.

The reason why the ranking system now doesn't work is because the pool is too small and requires 8 people which is a hassle to scrounge up.

You gave the answer yourself - so what's so hard to understand?

For people in small guilds, getting a ranked group together is too much hassle.

Without a good premade, ranked pvp is a frustrating waste of time.

Hence, many people prefer not to play ranked.

Forcing people to play ranked:

1. Serves your epeen - because you probably are in a large guild with a regular premade

2. Discourages those who don't from PVP'ing altogether

Unless Bioware changes the rankings to reflect individual skill, rather than team effort, people like myself have no desire to pug for ranked warzones and we would probably stop pvp'ing, if we were forced to.

Hence, your idea is no good.

Just disallow gear change while queued or inside WZ and make teams based on gear's rates :/

It will be true skill based pvp :) - if you want to help ur recrut friend, you must change ur wh to recrut as well.

Edited by alexzk

People don't play ranked now because it's too hardcore. *snip *

Individual skill isn't recognized because it's a team based game.

Do not state your opinion as if it is god given fact, it is not. I personally do not play much ranked because I have more fun in non ranked. There is a position open for me in the guild teams but I especially enjoy herding cats.

I vote no to OP suggestion.

Edited by Elkirin

It's a good idea, but as others have said it needs full cross server queuing to be really effective. Without it, either there won't be enough people of the same rank to form a match (so no PVP at all) or the system would bring in people from outside your "bracket" to fill out the numbers, which is basically why ranked is so bad right now (a 1000 ranked team will be matched against a 2400 ranked team just because they're the only ones queuing), which is precisely why people keep clamoring for cross server ranked queues or solo to 4 man ranked queues (since getting a complete well rounded group of 8 geared people can be annoying for many people).

The problem is, people were seeing those 1000 vs 2400 teams even when ranked warzones were new and people were actually queuing for them. The playerbase has no confidence in the development team at all not to screw something up, especially something like forcing everybody to play ranked and hope like hell the matchmaker doesn't suck rectum.

Short answer- No.Ironically i like solo pvp without ranked warzones.Ranked is for bragging rights and nothing more.Its what the hardcore pvpers wanted so thats what they got.Not our fault (meaning the rest of us who dont care about ranked) those hardcores left the game.

Ranked is for bragging rights and nothing more.Its what the hardcore pvpers wanted so thats what they got.Not our fault (meaning the rest of us who dont care about ranked) those hardcores left the game.

Actually, ranked SHOULD be about bragging rights and nothing more. Sadly, in this game, they even dicked that up. Ranked warzones right now are more about quicker gearing to participate in the non-ranked warzones and not get completely asshammered because you are in mostly recruit. At least in ranked warzones you expect that and get a better commendation ratio so you don't spend as much time having to bite the pillow.

You are of course assuming that the person's guild has enough people interested to actually field a team and all of them can get together at the same time. Not necessarily the case otherwise I would be doing it just to do exactly what you said get through gearing faster so I can solo PvP in non-ranked.

As long as gear is the deciding factor, followed by groups who are all on vent together, followed by who has the most heals, then it is going to be this way. going into week three being 50 on my dps sage and now have two WH pieces and the rest is Battlemaster. I stand by Gear being king I am now very competitive against folks who steam rolled me just a week ago and getting more competitive as the gear comes in. In support of my other statements we win more when three or more of us are in the group together on vent, you cannot believe how fast we can react to the fights. Plus easy wins when the group has a bunch of high healers that stay alive.

That said, ran into one team that all them were doing chain stun, you literally couldnt do anything before you went into stun then die mode. They had it down a stealther went to grass and kept two of us from capping for a minute until I caught them with an aoe and we took them out. They already had snow and thus we started behind. The group in the middle was fighting a huge stun fest and after a while they took mid. Then they came back grass and got their rears handed to them with a attack behind them on Snow and Mid and it became round robin of their large group running in a pack and the stealthers left behind doing mass stuns to keep folks from capping fast.

Good strategy, too bad you can only do it if you are Imperial side with all of the extra stuns.

No. Because of this:

Primarily, I don't think any one server has enough population running warzones regularly enough to actually match people to others of their approximate skill level.

Cross-server could fix that issue, but even then you still run into the fact that right now, those who are prepared for a hardcore session of PvP get their **** together and queue for ranked. Those who just wanna kill some other characters or earn their battlemaster jump into normal queues.It is a clear way to keep people who are looking for 2 different experiences apart as to not ruin each others day. And as much as anyone wants to protest that it doesn't work out, fact is that as long as people see it that way it kinda does.

Removing a clear definition between the 2 queues would result in the 8 man premades frequently coming across pug groups who would get absolutely slaughtered no matter what way you look at it.

Pairing up alike ratings is a good idea to mitigate the issue, but not everyone sticks with the same teams (therefore your rating and your teams rating are going to be 2 different numbers), and as mentioned above, an 8-man of ranked 1000's vs a pug group of ranked 1000's, will still result in the pug group getting rolled xD

The only way this could actually work out fairly is if you made it so that people either have to be in an 8-man to queue, or alternatively you cannot queue in groups for PvP at all. I see both ideas being extremely unpopular.