Writer's Rant Thread

irishfino

I need someone to go over the second(ish) installation for my TOTSD to make sure it flows at least coherently, but I don't have anyone I can just pester :/

Also, do you capitalize species' like a proper noun during sentences or not? (Mirialan versus mirialan, for example - the first sounds like a designation, the second like a description.)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resurrecting this thread because I still have writer problems!

Such as: Dear brain, why, as I have four files open, can you not summon enthusiasm for any of them? In some of 'em you know what's going to happen! You just have to put words on the page! But no, nothing. All of my projects are totally unwriteable right now. :mad:

Such as: Dear brain, why, as I have four files open, can you not summon enthusiasm for any of them? In some of 'em you know what's going to happen! You just have to put words on the page! But no, nothing. All of my projects are totally unwriteable right now. :mad:

I have the opposite problem at the moment. I would bottle some of the over eager words and send them to you if I could. :(

Sorry, Bright-- I do know how you feel. Sometimes I have a file open and write a couple of sentences at a time, then go back hours later and revise them. Remember, it's a process. I'm sure you'll figure out how to say what you want to say, you're just that good :D

Bright,

I know how you feel there is nothing worse than having that disconnect between your head and your hand, I don't think there is anything more frustrating.

Now I am not claiming to be a writer or anything, I honestly doubt my ability to write my way out of a paper bag, but a creative block is a creative block.

Don't know if any of these might help you, they have helped me in the past. Do mundane house stuff, like mowing your acreage or weeding the veggie garden, sometimes boring things can help break down that barrier. Try writing on something that is not a computer, hashing it out by hand. Or doing something on the creative side that isn't writing. Once, during my live model drawing class, I started writing in the sketchbook during poses I was not to thrilled about, ended up being a great night, had some nice sketches and the beginning of the story of the extremely inebriated Cathar outside the cantina. Totally not what I was wanting/expecting to write but it got the creative juices flowing again.

Don't know if it helps, but aside from what others already mentioned and what you posted in the Short Fic thread, sometimes just let your characters get their crazy ideas out of your head. Once that's out of the way, they might settle down and play nice. Occassionally they even give you workable ideas.

I have a bunch of stuff that's not ready for prime time and probably won't ever be, but its good idea and/or rework fuel.

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure nobody remembers me. D: D: D: That is my rant.

EVERYBODY remembers you! *massive huge overwhelming hugs OF DOOM* :p

You're one of the ones that got this whole shebang started! And you STARTED the Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread, and its twin AU sister.

Meyali and Zash's business.... Meyali and Ayang....

Of course we remember you, my dear. :D

I'm pretty sure nobody remembers me. D: D: D: That is my rant.

I squee'd out loud when I saw your Short Fic post. Well, "eee"d, if you're going to go strictly phonetic. You're the one who lured us all into that wonderful thread to begin with. And I love all your brave vivid characters.

I bet no one remembers me, though.

You are most assuredly not forgotten. Not even when Rochester, Broan and co. take a break.

I think anyone that frequents the SFC thread would remember you both. I also loved that one-off you wrote on Zash, elliot, and I always enjoy Broan and Rochester :)

As for the overall topic, I am having a harder time writing my inquisitor story than I thought I would, I guess that's the problem with loving the character but not really loving the in-game story :rolleyes:

Edited by Lesaberisa

Of course I remember you both! I just revived the Lucky story for you, elliotcat, not too long ago. And Tatile, I always look forward to your Rochester and Broan stories. You guys rock! Edited by Magdalane

@ Tatile and Elliotcat - do not bet unless you know you're going to win. In this case you both lost since all remember you :)

And, of course, my rant:

So, I'm to write a story involving two characters. Ok. So far, so good. What are they like? How do they interact with each other? Do they interact? Why? Let's answer all of these questions but then...more questions. Are they alone? No, they are surrounded by people....ooooooh, wait....interesting companions. Brain takes over:

"Hey, why don't you write about their backstory?"

"No, Brain, I can't. Too much"

"Come on, you know you want to..."

"Fine, only one companion then."

"Nope. Not fair. You have two characters, you need to write about at least two companions. One each"

"Oh, come on, give me a break!!"

"Also, there was that other companion that could be interesting....not to mention that you need a bad guy"

"Stop. Now!"

"And leave the story incomplete? NEVER!!!"

"Stop Brain, knock it off!! I need to write about my characters."

"Yes, and their companions, bad guys, mothers, fathers, grandparents. sons and daughters. They all made your characters what they are now. CREATE MORE STORY THREADS!!!"

"Shut up Brain. Stop churning out ideas....I said stop!!"

"Nope. Sorry. Can't do that."

"I'm doomed...."

Why not mention the times where you have lots of lovely ideas and the entity known as Brain does not want to cooperate:

"Hey Brain, let's write about all those nice ideas you had some time ago"

"Sorry, can't remember"

"Oh, well, how about trying to access your archives and find them for me?"

"Nope. Today I just want to watch you stare at a blank page for three hours"

"Ok, I'll put some music on, to inspire you"

*Brain takes control over music choices* "Yes, do that...how about you listen to some DEATH METAL DUBSTEP TECHNO RAVE!!

"aaaaarrggghhh.......!

Edited by Selentar

Part of me doesn't feel like I can even *post* here because I've been gone for awhile. *grumble*Real Life Problems*grumble*

But, I am back now, so...

Rant= I. Have. So. Many. Possible. Ideas.

... and I feel like trying to choose *just one* to write is more complicated than the actual writing process...

In example? I mainly wrote about my Miraluka Knight (and to a degree I still write about her here and there.) But now? I'm dabbling in trying to write generalized (to a degree) SWtOR short stories and fics, featuring outside POVs who deal with the Class Characters.

For some reason, the prospect of my random OCs meeting/dealing with canon-esque established OCs and characters (the canon OCs being the Class Characters themselves alongside companions and in-story NPCs) is uber exciting. Because within the setting of an OCs personal short story, a reader can read up on the Class Character through the lens of someone else, instead of purely 1st or 3rd Person.

(For example; an OC twi'lek bartender serves up the Smuggler and a fight breaks out- we see it happening through the bartender's eyes.)

I thought maybe writing in those perspectives would be an interesting pursuit and allow me to expose the Class Characters' in new ways...

... but the gosh darn writing.

It is determined to fight me at every turn.

*le sigh*

I am practically doomed before I even begin.

I've been away for a while... a month I think... had to let my sub lapse. Well, now that I'm back, I have absolutely no desire to write and I didn't write much while I was away. Having a new job might have something to do with it.

I'm hoping the urge comes back soon.

I miss it.