Writer's Rant Thread

irishfino

At least you have someone IRL who reads it. I ask my husband and he says "I don't want to".

My husband mocks me mercilessly for writing fanfic at all. The day he looked over my shoulder and found out I had named one of my ships after the Avengers' S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, he threw up his hands and dramatically stormed out, exclaiming something about what an irredeemably awful human being I am.

...and yet once a week or so, when I ask him to help me come up with a word or some specific type of daycare idea, he takes a moment to think about it and then suggests the perfect thing.

Then makes fun of me and storms out again. :rolleyes:

A critique thread sounds very constructive, but I would be terrified of participating. It'd be a "tremblingly observe from afar" kind of good idea.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you have someone IRL who reads it. I ask my husband and he says "I don't want to".

Hahaha....same boat here. :mad:

I don't know how well a critique would work, or maybe it's because I would suck at it, I know what I like and what I don't like and read stories accordingly. Ask my why, and I couldn't tell you.

I do know Ties that Bind did get at least one critique (I think) and while it stung the first time I read it, it really caused me to re-examine what I wrote, and how I wrote it. I think he (she?) had valid points and once my pride was finished being a baby, I tried to address those points, and be more careful in future chapters. That's what's frustrating about a forum, I feel strange pulling something down, after it's been posted.....like a dirty delete, where in reality, anything that is written and hoping to be published would go through a TON of editing...and I don't know what my point was.

Rant of the day: Sith romance is creepy and obsessive and trying to make it even somewhat healthy is not going to happen. I'm looking at you Scourge!!

I'd be happy to participate in a critique thread, as I am one of those people who has no one irl who can look over their stuff. My writing isn't that great, so I could really use the advice.

Rant: Characters, why can't I write you with distinctive voices? You sound so different in my head, but so similar on the paper (computer, webpage, whatever.)

Once there was a thread where you read someone's work and comment on it in a thread. Then you make a link to your story and the next person who posts reads, comments, and links their story. I guess if they didn't have a story or work (from the short fic thread for example) then they would read someones story/chapter and do a critique (repeating step one I suppose).

I would gladly support a thread like that though.:)

Rant: So much work, so little time till sub ends.... 11 days left.:(

Edited by SveinEternity

We could make a critique thread. Post a snip of anything and have everyone to take a hard look at for, ideas, execution, wording, etc. Maybe you we could have a format like:

Post excerpt/summary/thing of max words (500? 1000?)

Ask for critique with focus on (literary things that I can't remember the name of)

Problem is, doing a critique is hard, takes time, and confidence in the idea that you know enough about writing to critique someone else, but I'd be interested in something like that if other people are.

it's probably a dumb idea, i'm going to get back to work now.

Sorry for the double posts ,but I think that it would be a good idea to brush up on our critquing skills. I think that it would be good for all of us so we could give eachother positive feedback and constructive feedback. I think that critiquing is very important in writing (though I get scared to hurt someone's feelings or somethin) but it would be useful for all of us.

I'm a little leery of a critique thread. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and it's easy to hurt someone's feelings even if you didn't mean to. I probably wouldn't participate, 'cause I kind of take things personally and I would worry a lot about hurting someone's feelings. But, I could offer grammar advice! My junior high English teacher was insane so now I have mad grammar skillz.

My husband doesn't know I write fanfiction still. He'd mock me mercilessly if he knew, even though we met in online fandom.

I'm a little leery of a critique thread. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and it's easy to hurt someone's feelings even if you didn't mean to. I probably wouldn't participate, 'cause I kind of take things personally and I would worry a lot about hurting someone's feelings. But, I could offer grammar advice! My junior high English teacher was insane so now I have mad grammar skillz.

My husband doesn't know I write fanfiction still. He'd mock me mercilessly if he knew, even though we met in online fandom.

Same here though. I don't normally give critiques because I am worried about hurting someone's feelings mostly. I do like to receive constructive comments but if it will hurt someone I wouldn't critique.

Also huge rant incoming.... I SHUT OFF MY COMPUTER BY ACCIDENT AND ERASED HALF MY NEXT POST FOR THE CODES: EVOLVING! I was on a roll too...... I think I'm just going to post it tommorow but I think I will get a post in for New Conflicts just to get my mind off that disaster that happened a couple moments ago and I am really excited about it now...

Edited by SveinEternity

My husband reads mine. Gets indignant when I forget to tell him I posted something, points out when he notices I forgot a word or made a mistake, then says what part he liked or what part didn't make sense.

He thinks Quinn is a loser toolbox, that Scourge is pretty cool, and my Scourge is even cooler. He puts up with my crush on Scourge and Pierce but not my first crush on Corso, my first 50 was a Smug, he's like "I dunno that guy's kinda weird", eventually after playing I started to agree with him. When I played through my SI he teased me about Andronikos because it's the voice actor for Wolverine in the Marvel fighting game (forget which one) so everytime he hears Andronikos say something he yells "DRILL CLAW". He likes my comic book attempt so far, puts up with my dirty drawings of Scourge that I don't post and the mushy ones that I do post, and he wishes the game was more like the stories in this forum.

My husband kicks a*s in ways that are indescribable .... and he's moved on to GW2 :(

Edited by kabeone

[quote=kabeone;5151401. and he's moved on to GW2 :(

So has mine, he got me a copy too, and it's a lot of fun!! I also just got a new time card for here, I'm playing both, although part of me re-subbed so I could keep posting here. I seriously love this little home we have here on the forums, it's cozy. I'll keep playing, because of all the characters that are begging to be made real in game, I'm also guild hunting cause dammit I want to raid!! When? no idea, but I want to.

So has mine, he got me a copy too, and it's a lot of fun!! I also just got a new time card for here, I'm playing both, although part of me re-subbed so I could keep posting here. I seriously love this little home we have here on the forums, it's cozy. I'll keep playing, because of all the characters that are begging to be made real in game, I'm also guild hunting cause dammit I want to raid!! When? no idea, but I want to.

Oh I am so with you on this.:D The forums, I think, is one of the best things ever created by this game.:D I really love posting on them. I actually have'nt played in like 3 days because I love reading everyone's stuff.

I also really want to raid.:D

My husband reads mine. Gets indignant when I forget to tell him I posted something, points out when he notices I forgot a word or made a mistake, then says what part he liked or what part didn't make sense.

He thinks Quinn is a loser toolbox, that Scourge is pretty cool, and my Scourge is even cooler. He puts up with my crush on Scourge and Pierce but not my first crush on Corso, my first 50 was a Smug, he's like "I dunno that guy's kinda weird", eventually after playing I started to agree with him. When I played through my SI he teased me about Andronikos because it's the voice actor for Wolverine in the Marvel fighting game (forget which one) so everytime he hears Andronikos say something he yells "DRILL CLAW". He likes my comic book attempt so far, puts up with my dirty drawings of Scourge that I don't post and the mushy ones that I do post, and he wishes the game was more like the stories in this forum.

My husband kicks a*s in ways that are indescribable .... and he's moved on to GW2 :(

*Turns into Aurai* So... he got a friend?

*bats Aurai-ness away* Uh so... if I pm you my email can I see dirty Scourge pictures you drew? *looks around* I guess Aurai didn't go that far.

I do want to put out to you people that I love to write with, if you ever have a piece you want looked over before you share it, (I'm more than decent at grammar, honestly) pm me and I will give you my email. I can usually get to stuff the same day because I'm sick and have no life.

I wonder if, rather than a critique thread, it would be helpful to have a master post (maybe in this thread or in the weekly challenge thread? idk) of people who are willing to beta and how you can contact them. I would definitely be willing and it sounds like others are too.

I'd love a critique thread! Part of my frustration with the internet right now is I post up stories and the most people do is favourite them. No comments, no compliments, no room for improvement, just faves. But a critque thread where I could see where I need to improve... That'd be perfect! I'm also more than willing to return the favour :D.

So, I was thinking about the idea of a beta thread and I'd be happy to set one up, although I don't have a clue how to create delightful indexes (indices?) so I might have someone else organize it.

I was thinking maybe a thread where you post who you are, the kinds of stories that you're able/willing to beta for (i.e. what class stories you're familiar with, what genres you'd rather work with), a link to some of your stuff to provide credentials of a sort, and contact information, as well as whether or not you're already occupied. I got the idea from fanfiction.net's beta reader pages.

For example:

Name: Vesaniae

Availability: Free

Classes: SW, SI, IA

Genres: Anything goes

Cred: <link to Afterimages>

Contact Info: PM or send an email to <anonymous email address>

So anyone who wants to make themselves available as an editor could post their info and someone who knows how to make indexes/indices/whateverthehellthey'recalled could make a page sorting by class. So if you wanted to get a beta reader for say, a SW story, you'd look at the people listed under SW and get in touch with one of them.

Thoughts? :)

So, I was thinking about the idea of a beta thread and I'd be happy to set one up, although I don't have a clue how to create delightful indexes (indices?) so I might have someone else organize it.

I was thinking maybe a thread where you post who you are, the kinds of stories that you're able/willing to beta for (i.e. what class stories you're familiar with, what genres you'd rather work with), a link to some of your stuff to provide credentials of a sort, and contact information, as well as whether or not you're already occupied. I got the idea from fanfiction.net's beta reader pages.

For example:

So anyone who wants to make themselves available as an editor could post their info and someone who knows how to make indexes/indices/whateverthehellthey'recalled could make a page sorting by class. So if you wanted to get a beta reader for say, a SW story, you'd look at the people listed under SW and get in touch with one of them.

I think this would be an excellent thing that I would participate in. I would also index it for you if you like, I hesitate to encourage people to post an email address even a brand new anonymous one but I don't check PM's too often either so it might be best.

For example:

I like this:). It would be awesome to know who you could get an honest opinion from. If it gets up I'll gladly participate.:)

Rant 1: Sometimes I feel invisible on this forum. It sucks when people say they admire someone, and I realize no one has said that about me. I wonder if maybe I'm just not a good writer, and then I feel sad. :(

Rant 2: I really want to write about certain characters but I can't seem to come up with a good plot to stick them into. Everything I think of is just super boring.

Rant 1: Sometimes I feel invisible on this forum. It sucks when people say they admire someone, and I realize no one has said that about me. I wonder if maybe I'm just not a good writer, and then I feel sad. :(

Rant 2: I really want to write about certain characters but I can't seem to come up with a good plot to stick them into. Everything I think of is just super boring.

Rant concerning rant 1: Yes! I HATE it that I put my heart and soul into these stories and no one even gives me an 'Atta boy!' I know people are kind of leery about commenting on my massive messes of text, but sheesh... I get sad too.

Non-Rant concerning Rant #2: My best advice, write it anyway. Many of the things I have managed to get down have been the second or third iteration of what I started them as. The way to write exciting stories is to practice writing them. (Trite, but true)

Personal Rant: I HATE dentists. I hate teeth! I hate it when the pain in my teeth keeps me from sleeping, thence keeping me from writing well.

I love your characters and stories (Latest Zash and Meyalli is awesome):D. The only way I can read those stories is if you post them!:) I love your ideas and I think you should share your ideas with us (like your idea for Zash and Meyalli misadventures;)) But, get out and share!Please!

I love your characters and stories (Latest Zash and Meyalli is awesome):D. The only way I can read those stories is if you post them!:) I love your ideas and I think you should share your ideas with us (like your idea for Zash and Meyalli misadventures;)) But, get out and share!Please!

Oh, don't worry, I definitely want to write more of those two. It'll be like the Odd Couple on crack.