keep on dying/ leveling help

xbang

A few questions to be able to help you out.

What is your class? And advanced class?

What level are you right now?

What skills have you selected? Post a link to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc with your current skill tree

What planet are you on?

Which companion are you using?

The gear you have, is it greens, blues or purples? What level is that gear?

A few questions to be able to help you out.

What is your class? And advanced class?

What level are you right now?

What skills have you selected? Post a link to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc with your current skill tree

What planet are you on?

Which companion are you using?

The gear you have, is it greens, blues or purples? What level is that gear?

He wasnt asking for an interagation sorry I would help but too tired now I'll help you out tomorrow.

He wasnt asking for an interagation sorry I would help but too tired now I'll help you out tomorrow.

I apologize if my post came off sounding agressive -- it was my intention to give help.

It's just that the OP says their gear is up to date and they're playing the game right yet they keep dying.

There are a number of reasons this could be having troubles, and there is advice that can be given. But without more information it's hard to say anything useful ...

I think the questions asked above are certainly valuable in getting help however one suggestion would be to make sure you are getting your skill rotation in - read what your skills do and perhaps look at a spec for your class to see what works.

For me it took a while to get used to having to use so many different skills (not like wow) however i started to impove when i started to change my key bindings around to get easy access to certain skills.

to go along with asking which companion is he using would be:

Is the companion you are using as geared as you currently are?

Are you sending in your companion first before you start attacking?

If you are at the level to CC, are you using that CC on the stonger mobs while killing the weaker ones in the area?

While engaged in combat, are you keeping an eye out for pats?

Tactics depend on your characters skills, abilities and companion at lower levels.

Make sure your Abilities are up-to-date. Open the Abilities panel and check that none say See Trainer, there are separate tabs for Base Class (i.e., Smuggler) and Advanced Class (i.e., Scoundrel).

Ensure all skill points are used.

Try not to engage more than one mob at a time. Check for 'roaming' NPC's so they don't surprise you.

Have your companion attack first (unless they are healing). This will cause the npc's to target your companion first. You can revive them after the fight if they die. Also, companions have Stances which determines how they act in a fight (Offensive, Defensive, healing, etc...) Look at the Companion tab on the Abilities panel.

I've learned to die as a travel technique. I mean there is no real penalty in dying like there was when I played Asheron's Call, you'd have your skills diminished by a % until you earned experience enough to recover and you'd have to go back and recover your corpse because you'd lose your best equipment on death. Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons why we don't have that in this game. But I never viewed death here as a bad thing necessarily... when leveling up an alt I would fight until I died, no rest between kills and no wasting healing kits either. Just run around and knock everything out... but that was on Tython with a new Jedi/knight/consular.

I can't imagine what's going on with the OP unless we do know those questions asked... class/gear etc... we are all willing to help.

Edited by joenewbie
Typo correction

Today , 03:21 PM | #11

REPORT POST QUOTE

I have a friend who got to about level 25 before I realised she hadn't a clue about the skill tree, she said she wondered why it was always flashing.

Classic...Im sure she drives her car around with the change oil light on too.

I've learned to die as a travel technique. I mean there is no real penalty in dying like there was when I played Asheron's Call, you'd have your skills diminished by a % until you earned experience enough to recover and you'd have to go back and recover your corpse because you'd lose your best equipment on death. Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons why we don't have that in this game. But I never viewed death here as a bad thing necessarily... when leveling up an alt I would fight until I died, no rest between kills and no wasting healing kits either. Just run around and knock everything out... but that was on Tython with a new Jedi/knight/consular.

I can't imagine what's going on with the OP unless we do know those questions asked... class/gear etc... we are all willing to help.

You should have tried Runescape. You lose all but 3 items, and there was no way to get back to most areas before the loot pile despawned or other players snapped up your gear. :eek:

• 2 months later...

This is actually a great question. I'm struggling too.

I've been playing MMO's for a long, long time and I have died more in this game than any others. I'm at level 28, Jedi Sentinel, full combat tree, mostly strength based gear. So why in the world do I keep dying?

It just feels like I can't kill NPCs as fast as they can kill me. Very limited defensive and healing capabilities while soloing and if I'm taking on 1 npc, I'm fine. But an elite npc, 1 on 1 even with companion, or mobs of 2 or 3 I die most every time. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.

are you and your companion equipped properly?

do you have the proper prioritization of your skills (which one to use first when it's available, what skill to use when staring the combat)?

I don't play a sentinel so I would not know but I found this topic in the sentinel forum (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=513319). It's for the watchman tree spec, but it gives you an general idea of what I meant by prioritization of your skills. Maybe there is a guide for combat tree, or you may want to try out watchman if it helps you.

This is actually a great question. I'm struggling too.

I've been playing MMO's for a long, long time and I have died more in this game than any others. I'm at level 28, Jedi Sentinel, full combat tree, mostly strength based gear. So why in the world do I keep dying?

It just feels like I can't kill NPCs as fast as they can kill me. Very limited defensive and healing capabilities while soloing and if I'm taking on 1 npc, I'm fine. But an elite npc, 1 on 1 even with companion, or mobs of 2 or 3 I die most every time. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.

In your situation, I recommend as Watchman build as well, at least until you get your healing companion as you can spec your burns to provide you with heals when they crit. Otherwise, perhaps use the ship droid (you will probably need to invest in some gear for him) instead of using Kira or T7, so you will have some healing at least. Other than that, make sure you're using Rebuke as often as you can along with Saber Ward to reduce the damage you're taking from mobs.

I'm at level 28, Jedi Sentinel, full combat tree, mostly strength based gear. So why in the world do I keep dying?

As a sentinel, your gear should be all strength based. Aim/Cunning give you no benefit at all, willpower gives much less than strength does. Anything other than strength-based gear is a major drop off in effectiveness.

The only time it is okay to use gear that isn't strength based would be before ~L10 when you've not seen any other piece for that slot (e.g., headpieces are rare early game so you take what you can get).

I'm dumbfounded by how often I see players running around with weapons over ten levels below their own character. ... I can't help but wonder how they're even surviving? I literally discover players like this several times each every time I play. Truly unbelievable!

Your mainhand and offhand should be updated priority one over other items. Then go for armouring in the head, chest and legs, because these offer the biggest payoff in terms of protection.

The GTN is a great way to find equipment upgrades cheap if you just keep an eye on it.

Like others have said, you should devote a portion of your gaming time to researching your advanced class online.

In your situation, I recommend as Watchman build as well, at least until you get your healing companion as you can spec your burns to provide you with heals when they crit. Otherwise, perhaps use the ship droid (you will probably need to invest in some gear for him) instead of using Kira or T7, so you will have some healing at least. Other than that, make sure you're using Rebuke as often as you can along with Saber Ward to reduce the damage you're taking from mobs.

Definitely go watchman for leveling. The survivability is significantly better than either of the other trees because of the 1% healing from your bleed attacks. Use cauterize whenever it is off cooldown to keep the DoT going as well as overload saber to keep those DoTs going. There is also a talent in the tree to make slash finish the CD on cauterize to give you more uptime on DoTs. Then when you have 30 stacks of Centering, you can pop Zen to get more health back for both you and your companion from bleeds. Regardless of spec, use rebuke often. It has a 1 minute CD, but will last up to 30 seconds as long as you are being attacked. With this spec and a healer companion, you are pretty much invincible. You'll be able to solo any champion within 3-5 levels of yourself, but it is tougher to clear larger low level mobs since it is a more 1v1 focused spec. If you're clearing a lot of trash, then Rage is the way to go. Build up singularity stacks through force choke and zen (force exhaustion later on), leap to a mob and you get an automatic crit smash that deals 100% more damage to 5 NPCs. If they manage to survive, they will all be stunned anyway.

I was fully watchman spec, I just switched to Combat because I felt I wasn't strong enough with watchman. Now that I've tried Combat, in my opinion, it's about the same. I want to believe that all of my gear and lightsabers are up to level and full strength so I should be getting the most out of my dps.

I don't know what else to try. In my head, I feel as if I should be doing more damage then I'm doing. It's pretty frustrating.

I was fully watchman spec, I just switched to Combat because I felt I wasn't strong enough with watchman. Now that I've tried Combat, in my opinion, it's about the same. I want to believe that all of my gear and lightsabers are up to level and full strength so I should be getting the most out of my dps.

I don't know what else to try. In my head, I feel as if I should be doing more damage then I'm doing. It's pretty frustrating.

I'm not as familiar with combat/carnage. Try out this guide.

When in doubt, group with someone else to help you finish up if there is just one quest holding you back.

Most mobs don't live long enough against a Sent to really get the benefit out of all the burns in Watchment. It's easier in general to level as Combat. Sent's can dish some damage, but sure drop fast. You need to either be sending Kira in first or using T7 and making sure his tank abilities are in. No matter who your companion is, make sure you've got their abilitiies toggled on (open their bar with ~ key) Use your agro drop to balance damage between yourself and companion on elites. Use your interrupts to stop enemy abilities with longer cast times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.