The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

CoH players coming to TOR

Tickdoff-Tank

Chyll from Justice Server here.

Gonna miss that game, lumps and all. Outstanding fun play and community.

My KotOR love drew me in to check out this when CoH got the axe. I love the story and cutscene/voice work here - won out by a hair over The Secret World.

Alot oculd use some tweaking to be better, but, that said, I am enjoying myself for now.

This is so true:

You might also look at hiring some of those CoH devs. :D Their work over the last couple of years has been exceptional.

And,

I guess I just expect more from an MMO now than I did six years ago. I'm of the opinion that every new MMO simply must incorporate all of the features of previous ones, as well as adding new ones, in addition to having its own unique look-and-feel.

This is so incredibly true, TargetOne. The entire game development community should constantly be striving forward, and never settling. Each game should be reaching for the next generation graphics and presentation, with at a minimum all of the last generations QoL feature sets.

Edited by Bydandii

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 Mill per year is not enough!?!? The greed of the human being never ceases to amaze me.

COH sucks and is in the negative, your estimation is wrong, its closing because it makes no money, period. The majority of COH fans will not come here, a few at best, its not their type of game. Its like saying TOR fans will go and play WOW when it goes F2P, simply ridiculous.

Actually, the Free to Play model that CoH was using was doing very well. More people were playing, lots was in development and the game was in better shape than ever before. The decision to close the game came from NCsoft, not Paragon Studios, the Devs that ran the game were as suprised as the playerbase.

NCsoft said that they were re-focusing on other markets, most likely meaning the east Asia markets instead of the US. But poor performance was not listed as a reason for closing CoH. I am sure if it was doing *better* then it would not be closing, but that does not mean it was doing poorly. It was making money, estimates show a profit of about 11,000,000 per year. Apparently that was not enough.

This is why I will never play a NCfail game again. Yes even GW2. Because NCfail is well known for dumping games. As the news with COH proves it doesn't matter who developed it or even if it's successful.

Edited by TheRainstater

COH sucks and is in the negative, your estimation is wrong, its closing because it makes no money, period. The majority of COH fans will not come here, a few at best, its not their type of game. Its like saying TOR fans will go and play WOW when it goes F2P, simply ridiculous.

False. Patently false, by all published cash flow numbers and the statements of CoH employees pre-announcement and post.

NCSoft the parent company, OTOH, has a cash flow problem.

I suggest that you do a little research into the topic before you post. Ever heard the old saying "It is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"?

CoH was making money, was expanding, introducing new content and getting even better with each issue. It may not be a game that you enjoy but it was doing well.

Many CoH players are already here, there were quite a few posts on the CoH forums about people coming to TOR, which is why I posted this thread. One of the best parts of CoH was the community and I would love to see more of those types of people in this game.

As to WoW, many WoW players came here at launch and I can easily see some of them going back to WoW when it is F2P, even if they are not a full time WoW player. I am not a big fan of WoW, but it can not be denied that it is the most popular MMO out there, so they must be doing something right.

False. Patently false, by all published cash flow numbers and the statements of CoH employees pre-announcement and post.

NCSoft the parent company, OTOH, has a cash flow problem.

Exactly. It appears that NCSoft has decided that they will recieve a better return on their investment by shutting down CoH and putting that money elsewhere. That does not mean that CoH was doing BAD, it means that it was not doing well ENOUGH. (by their metric at least)

NCfail is well known for dumping games.

True, for major MMO producers, they definitely have a repuatation for unplugging games that are below some threshold of business level.

Koreans are smart business people, so it's a little amazing to me that they don't understand the impact this approach has on western player loyalty to the the brand. I get that it does not affect Aisa players much (they just move on), but if they want to be a strong and growing label in the west they need to fix this blind spot in their thinking IMO.

Honestly, this decision reads more as some form of business disagreement between NCSoft and the CoH studio. So they lopped the head to end the disagreement. But it still has a bad flavor to western players who sometimes become very attached to an MMO.

Edited by Andryah