The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Matt Brobmerg interview on free-to-play

vandana_

I'll say it again, read the article. EVERY single mention of who they want to target is specifically Star Wars fans. Not gamers, not Star Wars fans that are gamers. Their words, not mine.

Judging by their actions they're not pursuing it in that way.

Your original complaint was that they did not show at Star Wars con, and you later brought to our attention they did have a presence, making our debate moot as you said, w/e its fun sometimes to debate things anyways, and I believe their actions do not show them targetting the Star Wars fans demographic(i.e. everyone who is a Star Wars fans) but to me they appear to be aiming primarily at the Star Wars fans who are gamers demographic(which I judge based on their larger presence at gamescom).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, a limited fan gathering of 30,000+ people, even if they were to ALL buy the game and play it for months, isn't enough to carry this game.

Celebration VI would have been a poor investment of marketing dollars. They apparently agreed.

I never said it would be enough to carry the game. Again, you completely miss the point.

And apparently they did not agree. As I stated, as reported on these forums by people at Celebration, they did in fact have a presence there.

They are so smart that I was reading an article about how they used the hero engine so multiple people could add objects and change the environment and those changes would be seen by the other people instantly. Well it didn't work that way and so it ended up being a dev mess and that might shed a little light on why content release is at a snail's pace.

I need to post the article where I read that because I was shocked that they kept trying to develop this game with a problem like that.

I'll try to find it.

I thought they choose the Hero Engine for 2 reasons

1 - Because it was a pre-built engine that could allow them to focus the majority of their time on content creation. Which would in turn allow them to churn out update after update at an INCREDIBLE speed. Sadly incredible speed must mean an update every 2-3 months.

2 - Because it would allow them to add content to the game without having to take the servers 'offline'. Which would keep downtime to an EXTREME minimum as well as allow them to do fun things like Live Events or even just random Boss spawns throughout the world to spice up leveling and world pvp.

In my eyes they have failed on both accounts. . .Although I guess they're able to add the live events whenever they want. But I think it's more like they're adding the code in a previous downtime update and then 'turning it on' at the appropriate time :/

Hahahah right. They basically had a convo like this:

"Look we are bleeding subscriptions what can we do to stop this?"

"we can go f2p, and keep the subscription model at the same time!!! our content updates will continue to be mediocre at best"

"that sounds great, will that really work?"

"i just don't know..."

hahahahahaha

It really was a horrible horrible interview lol I hope they dont let that guy do interviews in the future. He could at least have been optimistic and said 'yes! this new model will bring in so much more revenue and let us create so much more content even faster than we said last time. . .which is faster than we said at launch. . .which as it is now is so FREAKING slow lol

I mean, even then, it would have read like a standard PR interview. . .but at least it wouldn't make him look like he doesn't know what he's talking about

It's like he was reading from a piece of paper to answer half of these questions, and when a question came up that wasn't on his piece of paper he froze like a deer in headlights xD

I never said it would be enough to carry the game. Again, you completely miss the point.

And apparently they did not agree. As I stated, as reported on these forums by people at Celebration, they did in fact have a presence there.

Also there was a dev post saying they would not in fact be at Star Wars Celebration. Its quite possible the minor presence there was due to reaction from a few forums members.

Judging by their actions they're not pursuing it in that way.

On this I agree with you. And I can freely admit that my ire at them not attending Celebration was misplaced. As I said, I do enjoy this game. I've re-subbed for the next six months. I just want them to do all they can to help it succeed.

It really was a horrible horrible interview lol I hope they dont let that guy do interviews in the future. He could at least have been optimistic and said 'yes! this new model will bring in so much more revenue and let us create so much more content even faster than we said last time. . .which is faster than we said at launch. . .which as it is now is so FREAKING slow lol

I mean, even then, it would have read like a standard PR interview. . .but at least it wouldn't make him look like he doesn't know what he's talking about

Last time they gave a standard PR answer like that, from James Olhen in fact, the forums bashed them repeatedly for breaking promises. Lots of people remind us every day on these forums that James Olhen(in a PR style answer) implied we'd have content updates every month.

Last time they gave a standard PR answer like that, from James Olhen in fact, the forums bashed them repeatedly for breaking promises. Lots of people remind us every day on these forums that James Olhen(in a PR style answer) implied we'd have content updates every month.

Promising an update once a month is not an PR answer. That's just a flat out lie. If he would have said 'we have lots of updates planned and will roll them out as fast as possible' then that's a PR answer.

Even if they had planned to do an update once a month, at the first hint of this becoming untrue, the really should have come out and told us.

Developers think that if they publicly apologize for something they said or do wrong then the player base will hate them for it and then bash them. It's actually the opposite, the playerbase will respect he devs a hell of a lot more.

I just saw this happen with Anet, they accused the first level 80 character in GW2 to have cheated to get to max level so quickly. Then 12 hours later the guy in charge over there, Mike something, not even a CS rep, the head honcho made a formal apology to him on Reddit. You should see the kind of praise given to Anet because of this. And it's true, I respect them so much more because they're able to do this.

Edited by FourTwent

i am actually happy that the game is going F2P.

let me explain:

i remember one of the biggest gripes with SWTOR was that it felt too much like a single player game with mmo features thrust on top of it.

well. . . most of us dont pay more than the box price for a single player game. this way, causal folks can actually experience the awesome storylines and really play the single player like aspects of the game, at no cost.

its ingenious if you think about it.

when those people wanna start playing an mmorpg, they subscribe, simple.

Promising an update once a month is not an PR answer. That's just a flat out lie. If he would have said 'we have lots of updates planned and will roll them out as fast as possible' then that's a PR answer.

He didn't promise an update once a month.

Well, Star Wars: The Old Republic is already out so I wont plug the gameplay because I am sure everyone already knows what that is. For 2012 we really want players to, going back to the subscription model, feel like they're getting their money's worth. So the scope of our game updates in 2012 is going to be unimaginable. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe, it's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting.

There's the text. Standard PR answer. The word "it" is a vague pronoun to use there, but nowhere is it explicitly stated that Bioware would be releasing new content every month. In fact, the word "continue" implies that his words simply refer to patches being rolled out at the current rate.

Well, Star Wars: The Old Republic is already out so I wont plug the gameplay because I am sure everyone already knows what that is. For 2012 we really want players to, going back to the subscription model, feel like they're getting their money's worth. So the scope of our game updates in 2012 is going to be unimaginable. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe, it's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting.

There's the text. Standard PR answer. The word "it" is a vague pronoun to use there, but nowhere is it explicitly stated that Bioware would be releasing new content every month. In fact, the word "continue" implies that his words simply refer to patches being rolled out at the current rate.

Grasping at straws man. You know damn well what his statement implied and what he was talking about.

continue to roll out month after month

Using the verb 'roll out' means they will be releasing

Month after month means every month! I'm sorry if you dont feel that way but here's a link for you

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/month+after+month

there's a casual definition at the top that says 'You have to pay for Internet access month after month.'

and also references in classic literature at the bottom of that page.

'Look how she kept me alive in you all the summer; how she gave you no peace; how month after month she became more eccentric and unreliable.'

do you think that example means that in January she gave them no peace. . .yet in February she left them alone, and then again in March she was giving them no peace again? lol

i mean i hate to be pedantic, but that is what he said. when a company like bioware gives us so little information(and on top of that bullcrap PR answers) we as a playerbase HAVE to obsess over the minor details JUST so we can actually see the truth behind it

continue to roll out month after month

Your own quote, continue to roll out month after month. The game did not having content rolling out month after month, so it is therefore impossible for such to continue. Its clearly PR, and James Olhen's statement is clearly unintentionally misleading, as it must be an exaggeration of the content pace. You can hold Bioware accountable for not delivering Terror from Beyond in August, but not for your misunderstanding of their statement.

Your own quote, continue to roll out month after month. The game did not having content rolling out month after month, so it is therefore impossible for such to continue. Its clearly PR, and James Olhen's statement is clearly unintentionally misleading, as it must be an exaggeration of the content pace. You can hold Bioware accountable for not delivering Terror from Beyond in August, but not for your misunderstanding of their statement.

"We have our update 1.2 coming in the next week, and then after that, it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting,"

It seems to be worded that they are continuing from 1.2 with monthly roll outs not from previous monthly roll outs.

I think that depends on when he said it. Update 1.1 was a month after launch. So if he had said it then, I would say it's save to assume that's what was intended.

in any case, you dont say month after month unless you mean once a month lol that could totally be my understanding. . .and I may be mistaken. . .but look at the thread, I'm not the only one who confused it to be that way. if a developer has given the wrong impression to the playerbase, it NEEDS to be corrected. They NEED to apologize for releasing updates at a snails pace.

EDIT - after re-reading it, I have to agree with the above poster

It seems to be worded that they are continuing from 1.2 with monthly roll outs not from previous monthly roll outs.
Edited by FourTwent

"We have our update 1.2 coming in the next week, and then after that, it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting,"

Different interpretations of the same sentence. Too much outrage in the world comes from misunderstandings. Unless we have clarity that a particular objective was not upheld, I believe we should avoid being accusatory or angry. Again I mention, there are other things that Bioware has been slow to deliver, such as TFB in August or the long wait on Nim Denova. These are valid points which we can and should bring up to let the developers know that we won't sit around and accept whatever things are given to us. We can and should hold the developers accountable for content that has been long promised (SGRAs, Chat bubbles, etc.). We should not get angry about misunderstandings in communication between developers and consumers. This only serves to discourage more communication from the developers, and serves no real purpose in ensuring accountability.

We should not get angry about misunderstandings in communication between developers and consumers.

then good game bioware. they tricked us with your word play. instead of talking to us like human beings and giving us respect, instead they use vague phrases that give the impression of one thing, yet mean something entirely different

you know my parents used to do this to me when I was growing up. it's nice to think Bioware is treating their customers like kids and not like adults who are paying for a product

Different interpretations of the same sentence. Too much outrage in the world comes from misunderstandings. Unless we have clarity that a particular objective was not upheld, I believe we should avoid being accusatory or angry. Again I mention, there are other things that Bioware has been slow to deliver, such as TFB in August or the long wait on Nim Denova. These are valid points which we can and should bring up to let the developers know that we won't sit around and accept whatever things are given to us. We can and should hold the developers accountable for content that has been long promised (SGRAs, Chat bubbles, etc.). We should not get angry about misunderstandings in communication between developers and consumers. This only serves to discourage more communication from the developers, and serves no real purpose in ensuring accountability.

There was no "misinterpretations" from the players. They know what was said. And it was not a statement which was subject to interpretation, but one which was simple..to the point and clear. If anyone is not understanding it, it is you. The players are not at fault here. :cool:

then good game bioware. they tricked us with your word play. instead of talking to us like human beings and giving us respect, instead they use vague phrases that give the impression of one thing, yet mean something entirely different

you know my parents used to do this to me when I was growing up. it's nice to think Bioware is treating their customers like kids and not like adults who are paying for a product

Well that is typically what a PR response means. You were asking for a PR style response just a few posts ago.

PR=lots of encouraging fluff that seems to promise the world but never really promises anything

Thankfully their interviews seem to be less controlled by the marketing team now then before. The very fact that the interviews are not PR glossy responses show that the developers are being allowed to answer with their own personal thoughts and knowledge to some extent.

Edited by Vandicus

There was no "misinterpretations" from the players. They know what was said. And it was not a statement which was subject to interpretation, but one which was simple..to the point and clear. If anyone is not understanding it, it is you. The players are not at fault here. :cool:

So players are defined solely as the ones who use your interpretation? Lovely argument that. I'm not the only one to have the interpretation that I used. I'll even dig through a couple days of threads to find that person and quote them to you if you call me a liar on this.

So players are defined solely as the ones who use your interpretation? Lovely argument that. I'm not the only one to have the interpretation that I used. I'll even dig through a couple days of threads to find that person and quote them to you if you call me a liar on this.

"players' was used as a common reference for people who play TOR. Humans...comrades...etc etc. Get it? And no, you are not a liar. I never said you was. But you are wrong in your opinion on this, as is the others who agree with you is all I am saying. :)

Edited by Valkirus

Let's be honest here, nobody on this forum has the data needed to make ANY interpretations as to what/why with any degree of accuracy.

That leaves you, once again, with opinion, presented as fact. Which, puts you on equal footing with the entire forum membership, myself included. The difference in our posts being, some of us enjoy the game and don't share your need for what is IMO an ongoing series of non-constructive (and sometimes hyperbolic) criticsims of the game and the game producer.

Besides, this entire thread is largely a rehash of a developer bash fest from last week, isn't it?

I can compare to "that game we should not name" and say it still has 9 mil folks paying a sub. Or about 5 in the West only, according to mmodata.net. Those players believe, somehow, that the game is worth 15 a month.

So, no, I don`t believe anyone that says "I can`t play SWTOR because of the sub". 2.4 mils were more than willing to pay it, from which 1.7 actually did. And it`s really hilarious that BW does.

I can believe, however, the ones that say this "isn`t worth one", for ANY reason... but every single of those reasons lies in Bioware`s backyard - because, ultimately, they developed the game.

Edited by Styxx

I can compare to "that game we should not name" and say it still has 9 mil folks paying a sub. Or about 5 in the West only, according to mmodata.net. Those players believe, somehow, that the game is worth 15 a month.

So, no, I don`t believe anyone that says "I can`t play SWTOR because of the sub". 2.4 mils were more than willing to pay it, from which 1.7 actually did. And it`s really hilarious that BW does.

I can believe, however, the ones that say this "isn`t worth one", for ANY reason... but every single of those reasons lies in Bioware`s backyard - because, ultimately, they developed the game.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to us since we're probably somewhat more rational about our purchases, but there's a huge new market of gamers out there who won't pay for subscriptions but will spend huge amounts in cash shops. Farmville is one of the most popular games in the world and people spend stupid amounts of money in their cash shop. League of Legends subsists entirely on their cash shop. A game in the same genre, MMOs, called GW2 just released within the last week that intends to make lots of money off the cash shop, all the while not having a subscription.

Does their daily spending practice in video games make sense to me? No, so I can understand why you find the survey answers hard to believe. That doesn't change that these extreme impulse buyers are the new generation of gamers, the Facebook generation of gamers as it were.

Pretty much. And argue it all you want. The Unsubscribers Thread (all three iterations of them) all tell the story of why the game is failing and why we went from 1.7 mil to 500-999k subs. Those aren't up for misinterpretation and can't be skewed by the TOR apologists.

Edited by DarkSaberMaster

It doesn't necessarily make sense to us since we're probably somewhat more rational about our purchases, but there's a huge new market of gamers out there who won't pay for subscriptions but will spend huge amounts in cash shops. Farmville is one of the most popular games in the world and people spend stupid amounts of money in their cash shop. League of Legends subsists entirely on their cash shop. A game in the same genre, MMOs, called GW2 just released within the last week that intends to make lots of money off the cash shop, all the while not having a subscription.

Does their daily spending practice in video games make sense to me? No, so I can understand why you find the survey answers hard to believe. That doesn't change that these extreme impulse buyers are the new generation of gamers, the Facebook generation of gamers as it were.

We`re in for strange times, indeed...