The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cathar Playable Species

aabcdow

With the addition of the Cathar species being playable in the near future, will there be the ability to change species of any or all current characters on an account? Just to make this crystal clear, if I have already leveled a cyborg, can I switch that cyborg to Cathar? My initial choices in character creation would have been significantly different if Cathar would have been available at the start, and I have a feeling that others would probably agree. If this isn't an option, what will result is all of us Cathar lovers creating new characters (if we have slots available) as soon the option is available, and the starting planets will be flooded with Cathar running around - it will look like that is the only species on the planet.

I for one would love the option to switch species of a current character(s) to be Cathar. Not sure it is achievable, but if so, Devs could even limit the number of species changes or make it only an option for paying subcriptions, to limit chaos or whatever,.

Would love to hear if others would like this option as well, and WOULD REALLY LOVE IF A DEV CHIMED IN WITH THEIR INPUT.

Thank!

With the addition of the Cathar species being playable in the near future, will there be the ability to change species of any or all current characters on an account? Just to make this crystal clear, if I have already leveled a cyborg, can I switch that cyborg to Cathar? My initial choices in character creation would have been significantly different if Cathar would have been available at the start, and I have a feeling that others would probably agree. If this isn't an option, what will result is all of us Cathar lovers creating new characters (if we have slots available) as soon the option is available, and the starting planets will be flooded with Cathar running around - it will look like that is the only species on the planet.

I for one would love the option to switch species of a current character(s) to be Cathar. Not sure it is achievable, but if so, Devs could even limit the number of species changes or make it only an option for paying subcriptions, to limit chaos or whatever,.

Would love to hear if others would like this option as well, and WOULD REALLY LOVE IF A DEV CHIMED IN WITH THEIR INPUT.

Thank!

Lol I highly doubt you'll be able to switch your character's race. The Cathar are pretty much going to be available for any new character you'll want to make.

If they do decide to do it, I wouldn't be surprised to see it initially pop up as a store option. I believe that allot of their "cosmetic" changes were put on hold with the f2p....why give them to us now for free, when they can nickle and dime us with them instead?

...on a more reasonable note...it's probably easier for them to push changes through with the store then it was without. So I'm hoping to see many more things like this available once f2p hits the game.

I like this idea but if not I would like more slots per server. I have all but one slot full on my main server and i am saving that slot for a twi'lek sith juggernaut, so I have no room for a Cathar. I guess it could work, though, if they allowed free transfers for subs of any character to any server then I could have some of the characters that i have on my main server on a different server to save space and not lose them.

I'd love to be able to change my Agent into a Cathar! He's not that high level but he's got some perks unlocked and I spend a good amount of time getting him social points. Other games offer this as a paid service, and I would certainly pay for a race change in this game if the price wasn't too steep! I've just stopped playing him for now though, as if I have to reroll I don't want to put in more effort that will be wasted. :(

It is not as though race in this game is any more complicated than the game categorizing you as a certain "type" (ex: human/pureblood, chiss, alien scum) for the select few conversations where your race/species status is even alluded to.

Legacy unlocks could be an issue, but if they allow you to pay for race unlocks with cartel coins (which I hope they will, if you have the required legacy level), they could just price a race change the same as or slightly higher than the race unlocks. That would prevent people from getting "cheap" race unlocks by leveling a character as a race they wanted for a different class, then buying a race change for that character after getting the unlock.

... Other games offer this as a paid service...

What other games offer a race change? I can't think of a single one. Oh, EQ, that super old game that no one plays any more. Well, go figure they would add something like that to keep the few players they still have.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

What other games offer a race change? I can't think of a single one. Oh, EQ, that super old game that no one plays any more. Well, go figure they would add something like that to keep the few players they still have.

:cool:

Wow does. They also let you change your gender.

I actually don't have a lot of MMO knowledge but I was thinking of World of Warcraft and TERA (I haven't played those, but I did look into them briefly). If two that I can think of provide it, I figure it can't be a rare and strange thing to offer.

Some games do allow it, though. However, because species can be important to storylines, that creates a problem.

I don't recall any species specific aspects to storyline, with the exception of Sith Pureblood....

Granted I haven't played every species but I have human, cyborg, miraluka, chiss, and sith pureblood.

Do any other species affect storyline options?

• 3 weeks later...
I don't recall any species specific aspects to storyline, with the exception of Sith Pureblood....

Granted I haven't played every species but I have human, cyborg, miraluka, chiss, and sith pureblood.

Do any other species affect storyline options?

My Twiliek Sith Sorcerer gets called a slave by other Sith (not sure if pure blood does or if human does) and when officers insult aliens then often times they apologize.

• 3 weeks later...

Totally support race change.

How do we make it fit with lore? How bout this:

--The Gree have a technology for uploading consciousness and all mental data to a holding database and imprinting it on a new body.

--Or how about the Rakata? These guys have teleportation technology for goodness sake, so I would imagine they have a way to "hold" and "copy" atomic information and transfer it to a new body.

--For general face/gender changes, we have an underground network of plastic surgeons (there's even a "Face Merchants" quest on Coruscant I think).

If the devs really wanted to get fancy, they could have our companions comment on our appearance/race change, but even that isn't necessary. Really, in a galaxy with advanced technology, I don't see this as a problem.

Unless they make it an option only available to toons that have finished the story questline and are level 50?

Good point!

Edited by Stenrik