Leveling bodyguard before Tatooine

Quething

I've got a vanguard already, so I thought I'd go heals with my bounty hunter just to see the class from the other side.

And then I got Mako, and learned that she's my only companion until four planets in. :i_frown:

I really wanted to level as a healer, so I could learn as I go and heal flashpoints on my way up. But halfway through Balmorra I'm already finding it totally... not helpful to have both Mako and I healing, and she doesn't seem to make a particularly good makeshift DPS. So, should I suck it up, use a free respec and DPS until I get another party member? Or is there a trick to this I'm not seeing?

I never tried putting her in her dps stance. Does she actually do decent damage or is it a mix of healing herself still and off dps lol

She can't even hold aggro against you dropping one Unload between heals. So mostly it just means she heals you, but slower. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm thinking I'll swap over to Pyro for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Tatooine is when you get your next companion. It is slow to level as Bodyguard until then, but it's certainly doable. What I recommend is leveling DPS until level 30, then respec to healing. Bounty Hunter healing is extremely slow until then, but once you hit level 30, it picks up like crazy.

So does it get better at level 30 for sure? Or should I make sure I am at level 30 and have the next companion.

I hate switching when I queue for sub-50 WZs and people see merc and get pissed when you really are not healing them; but doing some of the quests on Tatooine and running into a gold that would heal themselves took forever to fight. Ran into another gold and switched Mako to offense and healed her and it took forever for one fight. I just don't feel I had a choice and went Pyro for now.

BTW. When you have to do damage as a bodyguard spec, what priority/rotation do you use?

Another question.

Gault. Sniper Mode or Assault when running bodyguard spec leveling?

Hmmm good question, ive never really taken any notice! Only just got Gault but seem to be doing pretty well against golds while healing him and letting him take them down.

You could also try and find a friend to run with you, that tends to make life much easier!

I myself am actually looking for people to lvl up with on my 6 alts :jawa_angel: although i haven't had much success finding people willing to play with me for more then 1 day lol Any chance your on The Harbinger sever?

I'm on Pot5. I am on just whenever I get a chance anyway which is sporadic to say the least.

As for leveling; I PvP enough to keep up valor to level as well as make sure I do my daily (even if thats all I get in for the day) and it seems I am more useful there as a bodyguard. In PvE though; even with the DPS companion, it makes for slow progress through areas.

Now that I am level 33, I think I am going to just run with Mako and go with the hybrid PvE bodyguard leveling build I found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=279723

Then I can still heal while in PvP and when I need to if I get in trouble going through the quests with Mako. I will see how that goes, or I might try to run with Gault and go on attack, using the healing when needed.

I have found BH to be a bit slower than some other classes. I am leveling Merc in the arsenal tree as well. Thorsblood I am on Harbringer, currently lvl. 19 and finishing up with Balmorra.

coolness my Bh is still only 8 lol, but i spose i can power lvl her next monday when i have free time :p

• 1 month later...
You could also try and find a friend to run with you, that tends to make life much easier!

I myself am actually looking for people to lvl up with on my 6 alts :jawa_angel: although i haven't had much success finding people willing to play with me for more then 1 day lol Any chance your on The Harbinger sever?

I am. Character name budiabo whisper me or friend me to communicate and I will lvl with u whenever im on :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.