OPEN WORLD PVP, how to implement it ATM

DarthAgonny

come to my server "nightmare lands"

join the nightmare lands face book group, there is 2 of them that i know of

they always orginize open world PVP events

please remain on topic, we are discussin the existence of a new OPEN WORLD PVP planet

Ill agree with no more ice, however we do not all love barrens or STV. :D

I love ice and would love to see some areas added to Hoth for PvP. I also don't know what barrens or STV are.

Makeb as the opportunity to be a good open world PvP planet as long as it's designed properly. BioWare has a clean slate with an unknown planet, so it can design it as it sees fit. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by flyersfan

Personally, as long as it doesn't affect my pve gaming, i don't care if there is a open world pvp or not, if it forces me into it, then i do NOT want it in the game at all.

Not sure why anyone would want open world pvp in the first place, the whole pvp concept is so primitive, why people would need to compete with other players to get a sense of achievement, i will never understand.

Yes it makes you wonder why theres any sports at all, or games such as chess, checkers and tic tac toe..

As opposed to PvE of course, where people are looking to get the "world first" of the latest instance, or standing around the bank showing off their latest epic purple drop like some new pair of expensive loafers... no competition there with others at all. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tic-

Well look at fleet sometimes well over 225 people with npc's in a contained area what's the difference if we're all swinging our light sabers?

Fleet lags with those numbers. My CPU is and AMD X4 925 @2.8 GHz and my gf is and ATI HD6850 and my FPSs there are never above 17 (average) but I know they could be higeher since at fleet my GPU is at 30-35% usgage and 2 cores of my processor under 70% usage, and people in fleet just runs around, they don't do anything special.

Onley when there's less than 30 players in fleet my fps are above 30 (average) and is still clearly too low for my hardware.

Seeing how the engine uses my hardware at fleet I know world PVP would be unplayable for me in this game.

Edited by Diktat

Need more feedback, do you think a planet made like this (minimun storytelling, just pvp) in a small area with bosses with FAT loots and the incentive that killing the other faction gives points, would be enough?

Yes, a zone with a purpose is enough to get people there. Again, this is why I have very high hopes for Makeb. If BIoWare designs Makeb in a way that the factions' questing areas overlap, then we'll get some fun PvP. This is also be in a purely high level zone, so ganking will be virtually non-existant (according to my definition of ganking).

There needs to be a good reason to go to whatever zone it is whether it's Makeb or something different. BioWare could implement it now by adding things to the Black Hole, even though the area's a bit small. Add a nice boss that respawns somewhat quickly. Add more of those Enriched Durasteel nodes and comparable nodes for other Crew Skills to the area. Most importantly, add something unique to it. Make it the only place to get the materials to make orange crystals or something like that and keep that unique to the area. That will make sure that people are always in the area.

Also, add a goddam cantina that is worth a damn. Seriously. So many of the higher level planets have nothing doing for cantinas. We need nice social spaces to bring people out. Sh*t, BioWare. Get it together.

The old-outdated game engine cannot support it. This is why Illum failed.

There is no way they can impliment this to work. Not unless they switched out the game engine for one not 8-10 yrs old... Then, what rewrite all the code... wait for another 6 yrs. You get the point.

They can only optomise it so much. it's like taking a 10 year old computer and trying to get everything you can out of the 486 with windows 95. Tweaks will only get you so far. You need new hardware and software.

Illum was a disaster for more reasons than that. The whole open-world PvP experience at launch came down to people grabbing the daily/weekly and taking turns standing next to each other flipping the points. Empire and Republic flagged for PvP not 2 feet from each other thinking nothing but happy, happy thoughts.

If you want people to engage in open world PvP 2 things need to happen:

1: You need to provide incentives for people to actually engage in the activity. At launch the only incentive was to stand around and take turns doing your daily/weekly and it was very poorly thought out. Things are pretty poor on the open world PvP end of PvE servers at the moment as well (yes, PvE servers do like a little open world PvP at times too).

2. Your engine needs to be better optimized as pointed out above. I recently had to build a new computer and it's on the upper end of the spectrum as to where my older one was more middle-ground. The difference is rather staggering performance wise.

Now one suggestion that I would make for improving open world PvP is this - You can make Illum work and here's one idea of how. Take Illum's PvP and make it an open style event that happens every few hours or such. The faction at the end that gains control of Illum will gain its resources thus providing a faction-wide buff that adds (and spitballing a number here) +10%XP to all activities and +10% earned PvP-based commendations while it's in effect. You could even go one further and hit the losing side with a 5% penalty the other way (it's a light touch). That's all just subjective to design choice but there's the idea.

Is it perfect? Hardly. Is it the right way to do it? It's a start. Is everyone going to like it? Doubtful. Will I get flamed? Most likely. :p

This is just one suggestion that could benefit all servers, and provide a little incentive to fight for your faction when that window opens with added bonus of providing an open area PvP event on a regular basis.

Edited by Kratuk

They just need to copy one of the MANY Warhammer Online RvR basins. Same rules, use the 1.3.6 population balance system.

Done and dusted.

This. The most recent release compared the new pvp map to Khaine's embrace from Warhammer, so it's possible that they finally have a clue and we will see more pvp maps based on Warhammer's. Why the ToR developers chose to completely ignore all of the great things that Mythic did with Warhammer PVP is one of the mysteries. Arrogance? Ignorance? Complete blind-sightedness?

Ilum failed because of the huge faction imbalance that Bioware did nothing about.

This contributed, no doubt. But it was mainly because the engine sucks, and becomes a slideshow with too many people fighting at once. If it was just faction imbalance, all they would have to do is make the hutt cartel faction or something. Now, whoever has the smallest faction, gets together some some of the people from the 3rd faction to boost their numbers, and fight in OWPVP.

But even if they did make a 3rd faction, it would still suck because the game engine sucks. I'd say faction imbalance was probably 30% of the reason. The remainder, 70%, is just because the engine fails. :)

Ilum failed because of the huge faction imbalance that Bioware did nothing about.

In that video the big fail was how easily they could march into your base and lightning camp your a spawn point. That does seem like a no brainer when you think about it. Not sure how that one slipped by the dev team. But yeah, imbalance was a pita too.

Edited by Kratuk