Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Top 3 Authors

BrandonSM

Timothy Zahn. That's it. The Thrawn trilogy is the best set of books in the EU imo.

The only post movies novels that I consider canon are those written by Zahn.

1-3 Karen Traviss

trollolololololololol

Nah, it's Drew Karpyshyn.

OLOLOLLOTROLLOLOLOL!!!!

Edited by yoomazir

Pretty much the whole reason the EU is as big as it is.

I think Thrawn is the greatest military leader in history. The way he got killed was fitting. Pretty much unbeaten in battle, he had to get killed by a noghri. The books were the most well written books I have ever read. I wish Zahn wrote more EU material, but I only know the Thrawn trilogy from him.

I think Thrawn is the greatest military leader in history. The way he got killed was fitting. Pretty much unbeaten in battle, he had to get killed by a noghri. The books were the most well written books I have ever read. I wish Zahn wrote more EU material, but I only know the Thrawn trilogy from him.

His single books are pretty cool. Bet he wasn't happy when Mara died...

His single books are pretty cool. Bet he wasn't happy when Mara died...

I know I wasn't. I think he was working on another Mara book when Traviss killed her off. Then he was forced to scrap it. Do you think she even told Timothy she was going to do... it?

I know I wasn't. I think he was working on another Mara book when Traviss killed her off. Then he was forced to scrap it. Do you think she even told Timothy she was going to do... it?

Doubt it. I do know most writers look at him as the "idol" for a good SW writer. Guarantee you KT didn't care for him..

Doubt it. I do know most writers look at him as the "idol" for a good SW writer. Guarantee you KT didn't care for him..

It's disappointing. I liked the RC books, but I think Traviss really lost touch of what matters. But the RC books don't come close to the Thrawn books.

Zahn takes top spot for me as well, don't think anything else needs to be said, except that he's probably my favorite author of any genre.

Allston is a solid second, I love his work, always a fun read, and I must say that Mercy Kill is another solid novel of his.

For third, I'd have to say....Luceno, I really liked his YV work, and Millennium Falcon and Plagueis cemented that.

Honorable mention would have to be a tie between Stackpole for his X-Wing novels, as well as his work on the comics, and the Perry/Reaves duo, I enjoyed the Medstar books, as well as Death Star and the Coruscant Nights(And yes, I know Nights ifs just Reaves, but it builds on their collaboration)

Edited by iprovoast

General authors? Scifi authors? Star Wars authors?

If the first 2, then I wouldnt have any Star Wars writers in that list.

I guess people can't read in what forum (STAR WARS DISCUSSION) they are, or are they trolling? Can't really tell the difference these days.

Edited by yoomazir

I guess people can't read in what forum (STAR WARS DISCUSSION) they are, or are they trolling? Can't really tell the difference these days.

Like that best rpg thread really meant best Star Wars rpg, even though not the subject or the actual text mentioned that? Plenty of threads in these forums dont actually talk about the game or Star Wars, since these forums lack off topic area. You on the other hand are making an assumption you shouldnt be making with the facts you have.

1: Timothy Zahn

2; Michael A. Stackpole

3: Aaron Allston

The first EU novels I read were Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, as I recall an old mate's little sister had them and said I should check them out. Best thing she ever did for me. ;-)

Stackpole's I, Jedi was great, and so were Allston's X-Wing series contribution.

Those three make the EU bearable. Many others are cheap hacks as in so many other licensed book series.

It was a book about the Skywalker family.

It's like someone says she's "borrowing" your Ferrari and then intentionally crashes it, knowing you weren't going to stop driving it anytime soon.

Edited by Captain_Zone

1. Michael A. Stackpole

2. Aaron Allston

3. Tim Zahn

X-Wing series FTW! Dark Horse comics AND novels.

Zahn comes in a very close third. Also, we KNOW he wasn't happy about what The Witch With a Capital B did to Mara.

Basically this except they're all tied for first.

1) Timothy Zahn - Introduced me to the EU back when I was about 12 after stumbling across Heir to the Empire in my dads flat and reading it then demanding he buy Dark Star Rising and The Last Command. The books were a great read and still fun to go back to now. I remember being so excited when I heard about the Hand duology and then later Outbound Flight and Survivors Quest. Outbound was brilliant for learning more about the origins of Thrawn and one of the few books set in that era that I enjoy.

2) Aaron Allston - I've enjoyed most, if not all, of his novels and really enjoy the way he plays his characters off of one another and humanizes them in certain ways, especially in the little jokes they toss toward one another like Tycho and Wedge do. Generally tend to find that it's much easier to read his entries in LotF and FotJ than it is the others. In particular I enjoy the way he writes both Ben Skywalker and Wedge Antilles and still enjoy reading his entries in the NJO, in fact I just finished re-reading Enemy Lines: Rebel Dream the other day.

3) James Luceno - Probably in the top three purely because he ended the NJO as best as it could be despite the series having wandered off in multiple directions that had become confusing to read. His books are always enjoyable and rarely have any issue finding parts of them too slow to get through.

Sadly when I think back to Denning's first Star Wars book he could have easily placed in my top three. I really enjoyed Star by Star for what it was despite the criticism it received from some fans, and have re-read it a fair few times on long journeys ect and still get straight into it, but almost each of the novels since seem to be one step down from the previous with the Jedi in them becoming more and more overpowered to the point that they only ever seem to be able to be defeated by his own overpowered characters (Tresina Lobi/Alema Rar.

Luceno and Stackpole tie for my 3rd

Luceno is an amazing writer, his work on Darth Plageuis and Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader was simply amazing.

But I havent really read anything else besides that so I cant really list him. Because he has about 5-8 SW books and I've read 2 of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.