BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk has resigned

Hunny_Bun

Its kinda sad. With EA buying out BW, the chances of us getting a new KOTOR dropped significantly. Now with pretty much the entire company having been ripped to shreds, the last glimmer of hope we had left has all but died.

If we do get something new I expect it will be like Hellgate: London was to Diablo II. A rip off of the original idea, meant to be an expansion upon the story, made by "some of the same developers" in a new company, but changed just enough (as to avoid copyright infringement) to make it rubbish, killing the new company.

Edited by Blaac

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kinda sad. With EA buying out BW, the chances of us getting a new KOTOR dropped significantly. Now with pretty much the entire company having been ripped to shreds, the last glimmer of hope we had left has all but died.

If we do get something new I expect it will be like Hellgate: London was to Diablo II. A rip off of the original idea, meant to be an expansion upon the story, made by "some of the same developers" in a new company, but changed just enough (as to avoid copyright infringement) to make it rubbish, killing the new company.

The 2nd Deus Ex *shudders*.

I don't get this, ideas like these..... these two guys sold out: period. They saw the $$ and here we are......

I wouldn't touch anything they do with a 10 foot pole ......

C'mon now, it's not easy being an independent studio especially when you start trying to do triple A, original IP. Jade Empire, Mass Effect... published by MS and were X-Box exclusives for a while before being released for PC. They were also putting work into Dragon Age and everyone was looking forward to that - their return to a BG style game. They were probably running low on funds for that since I never heard of anyone agreeing to publish (at the time) a PC exclusive title. Whether that means they sold, depends on your POV then, but here we are.

Personally I was disappointed by their recent games. I was looking forward to C&CG2 before ME3 was released, but I'll probably skip it now considering the state of game development in Bioware.

Except that the video game industry is in a huge decline. I don't think investors are going to be willing to sink their money in it.

As long as video game developers insist on doing the exact same things as their predecessors, I expect decline to continue.

In my eyes this piece of news has next to nothing to do with anything, but its also not a positive thing.

Edited by Karkais

The similarities of the fail and fall of Warhammer Online and the fail and fall of SWTOR are very similar.

Anyone, who was good or decent at their job at Bioware Austin has already jumped ship or been let go. We are left with the folks like Jeff Hickman running the show. That is a scary for what little future SWTOR has left.

Aw Christ almighty, he didn't resign, he's been relocated from Bioware Austin now that Old Republic has been out for over half a year and is probably currently setting up a new development team for the next Bioware game. He hasn't left Bioware, just left the studio developing SWTOR so he can work on something else, you think all the creators of Jade Empire sat in their studio twiddling their thumbs six months after release?

Honest question here dude... you have been COMPLAINING hard about this game since February, about how much you hate it and how you're quitting and all that. Nearly every single post, including your very first one 6 months ago is about how you hate this game and how you're so glad you're quitting it.

Why haven't you quit yet?

And don't cop out and say "I had a 6 month sub" because in another thread you said you were still here because you had a three month sub which means you HAD to have renewed it at some point.

And even if someone GAVE you the game time so you could still post on the forums WHY would you be here if you hate this game and everything about it?

You really need to reevaluate your life decisions man.

Maybe he was hoping that Bioware would figure out a way to improve things. Same thing happened with SWG. People kept holding on to hope that things would improve. I was one of them up until the NGE. Then I bailed. I'll probably hang out here and see how the F2P thing goes. If it gets too bad after that, I'll probably cancel myself. Too be honest my lack of playing also has to do with my busy work and family life now days as well. It's not all Bioware's fault. Though from the beginning I've questioned a lot of their decisions (Like 100% voice over).

Aw Christ almighty, he didn't resign, he's been relocated from Bioware Austin now that Old Republic has been out for over half a year and is probably currently setting up a new development team for the next Bioware game. He hasn't left Bioware, just left the studio developing SWTOR so he can work on something else, you think all the creators of Jade Empire sat in their studio twiddling their thumbs six months after release?

Really wish you would read the entire thread before responding. Even HE SAYS he didnt plan on leaving this early. They cannot fire him I am sure its in his contract. So they say he is taking a vacation. Like you cant take a vacation and work at your job. He was the manager of bioware austin he didnt just sit on his hands while there. The buck stops with him since he is the manager. The game has majorly tanked losing over 1 million subs since launch.

Someone at EA replaced him. Of course this thread has mentioned that now about 10 times to people like yourself who cannot be bothered to read and just yell at people instead. I dont expect you to read this either or do anything but just blindly believe what EA says. I mean EA has never lied to us before right?

Honest question here dude... you have been COMPLAINING hard about this game since February, about how much you hate it and how you're quitting and all that. Nearly every single post, including your very first one 6 months ago is about how you hate this game and how you're so glad you're quitting it.

Why haven't you quit yet?

And don't cop out and say "I had a 6 month sub" because in another thread you said you were still here because you had a three month sub which means you HAD to have renewed it at some point.

And even if someone GAVE you the game time so you could still post on the forums WHY would you be here if you hate this game and everything about it?

You really need to reevaluate your life decisions man.

I kept thinking is this the same person I remember from back in winter posting how he quit lol. It is :)

Really wish you would read the entire thread before responding. Even HE SAYS he didnt plan on leaving this early. They cannot fire him I am sure its in his contract. So they say he is taking a vacation. Like you cant take a vacation and work at your job. He was the manager of bioware austin he didnt just sit on his hands while there. The buck stops with him since he is the manager. The game has majorly tanked losing over 1 million subs since launch.

Someone at EA replaced him. Of course this thread has mentioned that now about 10 times to people like yourself who cannot be bothered to read and just yell at people instead. I dont expect you to read this either or do anything but just blindly believe what EA says. I mean EA has never lied to us before right?

He hasn't been fired. He's still at Bioware and EA. He's simply stepped down from Bioware Austin.

Read the artical again :)

He hasn't been fired. He's still at Bioware and EA. He's simply stepped down from Bioware Austin.

Read the artical again :)

Again in the very first paragraph I mention he most likely cannot be fired. It was I am sure part of the deal. They can however remove him from any day to day. Hence the extended vacation.

Does anyone actually read what they are responding to in this thread?

Again in the very first paragraph I mention he most likely cannot be fired. It was I am sure part of the deal. They can however remove him from any day to day. Hence the extended vacation.

Did you read the artical?

UPDATE: Greg Zeschuk's role as General Manager at BioWare Austin was "always planned to have a finite endpoint", the company co-founder has explained to Gamasutra, addressing speculation around his departure.

"With regard to BioWare Austin, I handed off the leadership of the studio to Matthew Bromberg quite some time ago (back in May). Ray [Muzyka, BioWare co-founder] and I picked Matthew to take over and he's been doing a great job with the studio."

Zeschuk also affirmed his continued presence within BioWare as a whole.

"Ray and I picked Matthew". "Zeschuk also affirmed his continued presence within BioWare as a whole". Not "Extended vacation". Not "fired". "Continued presence".

What those that aren't official representivies of Bioware have said in this thread doesn't matter. It only matters what Zeschuk said himself. And he told Gamasutra that he's still working at Bioware. Just not Bioware Austin. I believe him.

No he just isnt in austin, work it out already, he is still a co founder and in charge at Bioware. His whole family are still in edmonton so what does that tell you.

Guys, come on. Stop being ridiculous. Everyone knows that all of those CEOs and politicians who resign in the midst of scandal really do just want to spend more time with their families.

And everyone knows that companies always give (very well-)salaried employees all the time they want to just not work and think about what they maybe want to do in the future. It's common practice.

What I find rather funny is that history keeps repeating itself.

Origin Systems - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out, closed down.

Mythic Entertainment - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out., merged with Bioware.

Bioware - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out. ( I don't buy the vacation bull)

Westwood Studios - Company bought out, closed down.

That is from the ones I know, I wouldn't doubt there are others.

Mythic Entertainment - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out., merged with Bioware.

Bioware - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out. ( I don't buy the vacation bull)

Looks like everything else in corporate America. Mega-corp buys awesome business, destroys it, looses money. Rinse, Repeat. Mega-corp fails, gets government bailout. Rinse, Repeat. Seems to be a trend, just stay away from super studios...Were all better off that way

You missed Bullfrog Productions - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out and later made his own studio , other members of the studio left and created their own studio, in the end was merged with EA UK effectively closing the studio.

Everything EA touches cease to exist and is milked as long it can be till last penny.

Edited by Lunablade

Did you read the artical?

"Ray and I picked Matthew". "Zeschuk also affirmed his continued presence within BioWare as a whole". Not "Extended vacation". Not "fired". "Continued presence".

What those that aren't official representivies of Bioware have said in this thread doesn't matter. It only matters what Zeschuk said himself. And he told Gamasutra that he's still working at Bioware. Just not Bioware Austin. I believe him.

Higher ups sometimes get a damn good severance package to resign peacefully. Usually agreeing to a fake statement and signing an NDA.

You missed Bullfrog Productions - Company bought out, Company Creator forced out and later made his own studio , other members of the studio left and created their own studio, in the end was merged with EA UK effectively closing the studio.

Everything EA touches cease to exist and is milked as long it can be till last penny.

Thats the point, they want those companies out of the market. Less competition.