The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Immolate vs. TD

NoTomorrow

How do these compare in terms of damage? This is prohably one of the most beautiful animations in e game. I wish the overal focus in AP tree was on immolate instead of PFT :(

Immolate procs your next Rocket Punch for free, so you should have 2 points in Iron Fist to make Immolate shine. The focus /is/ on Immolate as a heat management tool. It does a lot of damage, only costs 8 heat and makes your next Rocket Punch free.

PFT is the bread-and-butter of AP, just like Rail Shot is the bread-and-butter of Pyro.

Just because you get Thermal Detonator as your keystone skill in the Pyro tree, doesn't mean the entire spec is built around TD - it's just for setting up stupidly massive burst every 15 seconds...which is exactly what Immolate does for AP - it sets up a lesser series of burst abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

TD wins with range 30 versus immolate 10.

Immolate passes armor, TD does not.

TD does more dmg on a crit tho.

TD is on a timer, so it allows you to do more burst. Then again, it gives the oppontent time to pop up his defensive CDs as well.

Immolate looks cooler.

That's like saying 'Sofia Vergara is more attractive than Joan Rivers'. It's true, but it doesn't come close to conveying the scope of how much better it looks.

That said I do like to imagine to the look of panic on an opponents face as he realises he has just been stuck with a TD and is waiting for the famous PT surge.

Immolate is easily one of the best animations in the game. People don't see it often because AP isn't very popular, and it still makes opponents scatter in PvP because they think it's an AoE. That aside...

As a standalone 31-point talent, Immolate is a better point investment in my opinion. You can have an effective Pyro build without TD (and some argue a better build), but AP without Immolate would be pretty gimped. Immolate pulls everything together and rounds out the spec. TD has a huge heat cost and because it's kinetic damage, is mitigated by armor. Immolate on the other hand, is pure awesome.

Immolate is easily one of the best animations in the game. People don't see it often because AP isn't very popular, and it still makes opponents scatter in PvP because they think it's an AoE. That aside...

As a standalone 31-point talent, Immolate is a better point investment in my opinion. You can have an effective Pyro build without TD (and some argue a better build), but AP without Immolate would be pretty gimped. Immolate pulls everything together and rounds out the spec. TD has a huge heat cost and because it's kinetic damage, is mitigated by armor. Immolate on the other hand, is pure awesome.

^ Low heat cost, 100% chance to proc free RP, ****tons of dmg, PFT.

NUFF SAID.

TD has a huge heat cost and because it's kinetic damage, is mitigated by armor. Immolate on the other hand, is pure awesome.

Has a huge Heat cost compared to what? TD only costs 16 Heat, which is the same as Flame Burst, Rocket Punch, Rail Shot, Unload, and Retractable Blade. Plus, when I set up my TD + RS burst with a PPA proc, I actually vent 8 Heat and get a free GCD to disperse more Heat after the 8 is subtracted. Even if I don't set up the burst on a PPA proc, I'm still only actually spending 40 total Heat on 3 GCD's. In reality, without the PPA proc, I'm really only ending up with 30 Heat on my bar after doing 13.4k damage (if FB, CGC, RS, TD and SHR all crit), in 3 GCD. Keep in mind, I don't actually build 40 Heat, because the Heat is actively lowering through normal timed dispersion, as I trigger each sequential ability.

And just because Thermal Detonator is kinetic damage, doesn't mean the damage is bad; I regularly crit 4k+ with my TD.