Downgrading to Free-to-Play Account

omNOMNOMinator

If I as a subscriber with 6 characters, 1 of them a level 50 with full BH and some campaign, were to decide to become a Free-to-play player, please tell me that I don't lose items like the FAQ suggests! I don't know of any other MMO that makes you lose items when you unsubscribe, this would be the first and it's an awful idea.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of the FAQ says this? It is probably just a general use of the term, but what it means is that if you go from paying to free you will lose access to the pay stuff, like unlimited flashpoints and warzones, or some of the content like new warzones or flashpoints. In which case you would just have to pay for access to whichever you wanted while you play for free. I don't know what else you think you might lose (nothing in the membership comparison is detailed enough) but I also don't know which games that let you drop to free let you keep perks that are meant for paying players.

If I as a subscriber with 6 characters, 1 of them a level 50 with full BH and some campaign, were to decide to become a Free-to-play player, please tell me that I don't lose items like the FAQ suggests! I don't know of any other MMO that makes you lose items when you unsubscribe, this would be the first and it's an awful idea.

Free-to-play players won't have access to as much credits, or bank tabs, or character slots, etc. as paid players. By downgrading you lose your current access to those things. But, they're not gone. You can always sub again for access, or likely buy access through the cash shop. Also, keep in mind that you can rearrange the things you want to use before downgrading, so that you don't lose access to important things.

Edit: From the dev tracker

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Hope this helps clear it up a little!

Edited by MillionsKNives

They FAQ says :

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access.

I have no idea what to make of that though, "need to choose what items to keep" ? :rak_02:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access.

http://www.swtor.com/FREE/features

"Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters. "

Unfortunately, they have not even stated any item restrictions, so we have no idea other than less credits, storage, and character usage. Similar to LotRO, except that you can pay to permanently unlock those in LotRO. Since we already paid full price for the game, those things should be unlocked already, but they aren't doing it that way.

Edited by Kourage

Since we already paid full price for the game, those things should be unlocked already, but they aren't doing it that way.
I won't hold my breath, but there is time for more details. Keep in mind though that we are getting cartel coins for buying and subbing, and I'm sure part of the reason is for people who want to go F2P can buy some of the perks if they want to keep them. Edited by ripster

Pretty much OP, like others posted in links, you will lose things, which makes sense to me. Otherwise we have another STO with 1 month subscribers who cap level and bank slots, then go F2P until they make a new character, rinse repeat.

EDIT: Though I do believe there should be a "storage hold" for the items one chooses to "lose" when downgrading to F2P.

Edited by Eillack

I won't hold my breath, but there is time for more details. Keep in mind though that we are getting cartel coins for buying and subbing, and I'm sure part of the reason is for people who want to go F2P can buy some of the perks if they want to keep them.

I just think that if you paid $60 or more for the game and have been paying $15 a month for the last 8 months, you should at least be able to unlock some things with the Cartel Points you will get. I know even a new F2P player will have to buy the game for $15, so it's not entirely free as LotRO did it.

Edited by Kourage

Pretty much OP, like others posted in links, you will lose things, which makes sense to me. Otherwise we have another STO with 1 month subscribers who cap level and bank slots, then go F2P until they make a new character, rinse repeat.

EDIT: Though I do believe there should be a "storage hold" for the items one chooses to "lose" when downgrading to F2P.

You'll have your own banks??

You will lose nothing, it'll just be greyed out.

Example, you have 2 bank tabs. Let's say F2P keep 10 slots of Bank tab 1. You decide what 10 items you want to keep whilst F2P. Everything else is moved to the other slots of tab 1 and tab 2.

=> you still see the items, but you cannot use them

If you decide to re-sub, you have immediate access to those items.

Same for credits, gear, characters etc.

Let's say you have 8 characters. F2P might only be 2 slots. You decide which two you want. If you want the others, you'll have to sub, or pay a one-up fee to unlock another (or all other) slots.

It's not too difficult a concept to grasp, there is more than enough information around on this site alone (http://www.swtor.com/free , http://www.swtor.co/m/free/features) as well as on affiliate websites.

Edited by lualar

What part of the FAQ says this? It is probably just a general use of the term, but what it means is that if you go from paying to free you will lose access to the pay stuff, like unlimited flashpoints and warzones, or some of the content like new warzones or flashpoints. In which case you would just have to pay for access to whichever you wanted while you play for free. I don't know what else you think you might lose (nothing in the membership comparison is detailed enough) but I also don't know which games that let you drop to free let you keep perks that are meant for paying players.

Funny, I thought Flashpoints and Raids were part of the stuff we paid for with the box game itself. Now if you don't maintain a sub, they will take away what came in the box. Classic EA all the way and why they have gained the stellar reputation as the Worst Company in America. They certainly do a good job trying to maintain that wonderful reputation.

Funny, I thought Flashpoints and Raids were part of the stuff we paid for with the box game itself. Now if you don't maintain a sub, they will take away what came in the box. Classic EA all the way and why they have gained the stellar reputation as the Worst Company in America. They certainly do a good job trying to maintain that wonderful reputation.

Right now if you stop paying do you not lose access to everything? How is them letting you stop paying and still giving you some access worse than if you stop paying you get no access?

Like Leggomy says, going F2P isn't about making the current service free and now adding a new premium service, it is about opening up a lower tier service. If you bought a box, paid a sub and keep paying a sub, nothing is being taken away.

Like Leggomy says, going F2P isn't about making the current service free and now adding a new premium service, it is about opening up a lower tier service. If you bought a box, paid a sub and keep paying a sub, nothing is being taken away.

They took money you paid that was to include development of content to turn around and build in f2p. In exchange they are offering you the ability to buy things on the shop at a discount by using cartel coins.

That isn't exactly a fair deal.

Add in the real fear its P2W and bam. Anger subscribers.

They took money you paid that was to include development of content to turn around and build in f2p. In exchange they are offering you the ability to buy things on the shop at a discount by using cartel coins.

That isn't exactly a fair deal.

Add in the real fear its P2W and bam. Anger subscribers.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Your monthly fee goes to access to the game. It doesnt include new content unless they decide to give it to you.

I just think that if you paid $60 or more for the game and have been paying $15 a month for the last 8 months, you should at least be able to unlock some things with the Cartel Points you will get. I know even a new F2P player will have to buy the game for $15, so it's not entirely free as LotRO did it.

I agree. However LOTRO treated the old subbers who wanted to only go FTP better than what BioWare is suggesting for TOR. And no, I think another comment from BW said the game would be downloadable for free once they switch to FTP model.

Edited by Valkirus

I agree. However LOTRO treated the old subbers who wanted to only go FTP better than what BioWare is suggesting for TOR. And no, I think another comment from BW said the game would be downloadable for free once they switch to FTP model.

Wrong. F2P players need to pay $15 for the game but they get free access to the most basic of content in the world. The game download is ALWAYS free, but you need to pay $15 for the key.

They took money you paid that was to include development of content to turn around and build in f2p..
I think debating whether resources were spent on the F2P conversion that should have been spent on improving the game is fair, but they could just have easily spent that money on anything else, or done a poor job at what to focus on (seen lots of games spend more time in class balance and lack any content) but that wasn't the argument. There are a lot of aspects of this F2P conversion, I was only talking about the idea that we'd lose anything we 'paid for with the box'.

Eh the fun of this game has just about run its course with me anyway.

Time to move on to the next diversion for 8 months or so.

Kind of sad because I looked forward to this game living up to the hype. In the end it is a fun game, but nothing to play for years as some of the other MMO's drag you in to do.

Wrong. F2P players need to pay $15 for the game but they get free access to the most basic of content in the world. The game download is ALWAYS free, but you need to pay $15 for the key.

Then there is another reason it is not as good as the model LOTRO went with. :cool:

The game will not cost $15 after the f2p switch. You will be able to download and play the game for free. It only costs $15 now.

Right now if you stop paying do you not lose access to everything? How is them letting you stop paying and still giving you some access worse than if you stop paying you get no access?

It's really amazing how many can't grasp that simple concept.

Actually, no it's not. As a subscriber, you are "renting" access to that. You stop paying rent, you loose access to the extras. The way to avoid that is to purchase, what will likely be 4 character slots, the bank tabs, etc., which will be yours to keep.

So, my character is in Full War Hero. Does that mean if I go F2P I lose access to my WH gear? I mean, I dont care if they dont let me raid. (I never do.) Or if I cant queue for fps's or if they limit the number of warzones I can do a week. (Hell, I already have the gear.) But F2P sounds good for me, just to log in once and a while and do a couple wz's. But why should I lose access to the gear I aleady grinded out??

But why should I lose access to the gear I aleady grinded out??
We have not heard any details that suggest gear restrictions, although I do know EQ2 limits gear level but also sells tokens that let you use an item above your access level. So if EA/BW want to go that route (it gives a value to subscribers) then they can sell stacks of these tokens too for like 10 for a $1 or something. If you are looking at a final set like WH it is pretty cheap deal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.