Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

F2P Can't Invest in the game like Subscription (BW VP Quote)

DarthTHC

This is from an interview with Dr. Z in joystiq in late December 2011:

"I'm not saying it's better or worse. It just doesn't supplant the other things. 'Cause we can do some things no one else can," Zeschuk added. In his eyes, a free-to-play dev isn't able to throw the same amount of resources and time at an MMO project, and that marks a big differentiation between the two business models. "The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create," he said. The idea that free-to-play will take over all other MMO business models, he said is, "from a business perspective, ridiculous."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera

Predicting thread closure for excessive truthiness in 3... 2.... 1....

It's right, every p2p that goes f2p has an increase dev time on 'fluff' content. Emotes, pets, cosmetics, store usability etc and the actual core content quality usually drops dramatically.

LotRO for example is now below perfect world in quality content to play but has tons and tons and tons of awesome fun fluff to play with.

Here's my issue with what they're doing.

They're giving too much away for free!

Instead of allowing a couple of WZs and FPs per week they should allow a couple per month.

And 39 up to level 15 character slots, but only 1 level 50 character slot. Plus no GTN access.

They should introduce a cash shop that ONLY sells things that the subscribers get via their sub. That way the shop is completely irrelevant for anyone who subs, and if you actually want more than half the stuff in the shop, then it's cheaper to sub.

He is 100% right. And anyone with any bit of mmo knowledge and experience knows he is right. F2P games are for games that people wont pay for, if you release a good game then make people pay 15 bucks a month for 6 months before you start to get a handle on bugs and start adding in industry standard features you are going to lose most of your playe base. That isnt a theory or an opinion its what has happened to almost every mmo that has launched since wow.

Theres 3 kinds of people who think F2P is the way of the future, devs who made bad mmos and poor people. Oh and the fools who think Gw2 is a great game.

Here's my issue with what they're doing.

They're giving too much away for free!

Instead of allowing a couple of WZs and FPs per week they should allow a couple per month.

And 39 up to level 15 character slots, but only 1 level 50 character slot. Plus no GTN access.

They should introduce a cash shop that ONLY sells things that the subscribers get via their sub. That way the shop is completely irrelevant for anyone who subs, and if you actually want more than half the stuff in the shop, then it's cheaper to sub.

You have no clue how this model works? It has to appear to a certain degree fair and that one can enjoy the game without paying, so that the players trust you enough to think it is worth to pay for some convinience and cosmetic stuff (especially for the cosmetic stuff, it has to feel like you don't have to spend your money to enjoy the game, so that people give them money to just look nice).

He is 100% right. And anyone with any bit of mmo knowledge and experience knows he is right. F2P games are for games that people wont pay for, if you release a good game then make people pay 15 bucks a month for 6 months before you start to get a handle on bugs and start adding in industry standard features you are going to lose most of your playe base. That isnt a theory or an opinion its what has happened to almost every mmo that has launched since wow.

Theres 3 kinds of people who think F2P is the way of the future, devs who made bad mmos and poor people. Oh and the fools who think Gw2 is a great game.

I'm totally stealing that line. That is the best way to phrase it EVER!!!! SPOT ON!!!!

Of course it couldn't launch as F2P and gotten the investment it did. Let's see, how are you going to tell people to give you the biggest budget in MMO history and then say you are going to give the game away for free at launch. Most of the things that you would want to subscribe for wouldn't even be a factor at launch so they would be hoping to make some sort of income off the cash shop alone? Tough sell.

This is from an interview with Dr. Z in joystiq in late December 2011:

"I'm not saying it's better or worse. It just doesn't supplant the other things. 'Cause we can do some things no one else can," Zeschuk added. In his eyes, a free-to-play dev isn't able to throw the same amount of resources and time at an MMO project, and that marks a big differentiation between the two business models. "The free-to-play people can't invest to the level we can invest, and can't create something of the size and scale of something we can create," he said. The idea that free-to-play will take over all other MMO business models, he said is, "from a business perspective, ridiculous."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/bioware-docs-defend-subscription-model-tease-free-to-play-itera

Predicting thread closure for excessive truthiness in 3... 2.... 1....

Too bad they aren't implementing some sort of hybrid subscription model... Oh wait

That's a really good summary and well worth a read. But it's still :(.

Amazing how quickly they shifted from "We're subscription and we're going to make that worthwhile with a highly polished game and frequent content releases" to "Meh, we can't be troubled to do that let's just make it free and nickle-and-time our players for pretty lightsaber color crystals."

It's almost as if they're turning SWTOR into SIMS... :rolleyes:

Too bad they aren't implementing some sort of hybrid subscription model... Oh wait

Let me know how that "hybrid" feels 3 months in, sport.

Edited by DarthTHC

That's a really good summary and well worth a read. But it's still :(.

Amazing how quickly they shifted from "We're subscription and we're going to make that worthwhile with a highly polished game and frequent content releases" to "Meh, we can't be troubled to do that let's just make it free and nickle-and-time our players for pretty lightsaber color crystals."

Let me know how that "hybrid" feels 3 months in, sport.

Sure thing, champ. I assume that means you'll maintain your sub so you can continue to be a champion of the people on the forums?

Sure thing, champ. I assume that means you'll maintain your sub so you can continue to be a champion of the people on the forums?

Not a chance. The people who are worth championing have already made the right decisions for themselves.

Love how these threads always come from the same handful of poster too. Speaks volumes.

We're the 6 month subscribers who've already cancelled but stuck around for whatever reason (mine: guild + get through stories). When mid August hits, we'll be gone too, just like so many others. Then you can have the cartel coin shop and all the pay-to-win that will become all too quickly, all to yourself.

Edited by DarthTHC

We're the 6 month subscribers who've already cancelled but stuck around for whatever reason (mine: guild + get through stories). When mid August hits, we'll be gone too, just like so many others. Then you can have the cartel coin shop and all the pay-to-win that will become all too quickly, all to yourself.

Guess I'd be b*tt hurt if I got a 6 month sub to a game before playing it too - only to find out I didn't like it. Never could have seen that coming. At least you found a healthy And productive outlet for your jadedness.

It's right, every p2p that goes f2p has an increase dev time on 'fluff' content. Emotes, pets, cosmetics, store usability etc and the actual core content quality usually drops dramatically.

LotRO for example is now below perfect world in quality content to play but has tons and tons and tons of awesome fun fluff to play with.

Yep, their next expansion is going to have the instances + raids released months after the actual release of the expansion. I am sure all the fluff for the expansion will be at the store in time :Z

Guess I'd be b*tt hurt if I got a 6 month sub to a game before playing it too - only to find out I didn't like it. Never could have seen that coming. At least you found a healthy And productive outlet for your jadedness.

I actually liked the game. I was ready to renew my subscription (month-to-month this time) until F2P was announced. I don't like F2P/Microtransactions and I especially don't like them in EA's hands.

I actually wonder how long BW/EA have known that they would commit to a F2P system? As a purchaser of the CE (which wasnt cheap) I do feel cheated, lied to, & deceived. So many promised additions (llike dual spec) were never delivered 8 months post launch.

I can honestly say that I will never trust BW/EA again to deliver on what is promised, and feel absolutely gutted that SWTOR which I believe had incredible potential will never achieve it's position in the MMO market. With so much effort going into developing micro transactions end game will move at a snails pace like other F2P games.

BW/EA this is one consumer that will never place faith in your ability to successfully manage an MMO ever again.