Why do people hate SWTOR, really?

darthspaz

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame the mind-set of modern gamers and the saturation of MMO games on the market. Hell... you can't even find a good turn-based RPG anymore because people want action action action. ToR, like many MMO's, harbored people that bought the game, rushed to the level cap, and then whined about lack of content. I've been doing each planet's story-line thoroughly for about 8 months and I think it's an incredible game. People are just impatient and want it all here and now.

^ This. Quoted for being spot on.

I see a lot of comments about how people rushed through the game, straight to the end and got to 50 and were disappointed. Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't rush to the endgame in a fledgling game. I won't say the oft quoted "give it time" but what I would point out is that if a lot of the player base did just this then quit? Might explain the initial downturn.

SWTOR has always been about the story. It could be that they were banking on players wanting to, instead of complain that there was nothing left for their toon to do at level 50, start up another one on the opposite side and experience that while they got new stuff sorted. That way when you came back, there would be good stuff for your original to do?

Pretty much like any console based RPG anyway. It's just they were the first ones to try fitting that to an MMO format.

Edited by Silkule

^ This. Quoted for being spot on.

I see a lot of comments about how people rushed through the game, straight to the end and got to 50 and were disappointed. Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't rush to the endgame in a fledgling game. I won't say the oft quoted "give it time" but what I would point out is that if a lot of the player base did just this then quit? Might explain the initial downturn.

SWTOR has always been about the story. It could be that they were banking on players wanting to, instead of complain that there was nothing left for their toon to do at level 50, start up another one on the opposite side and experience that while they got new stuff sorted. That way when you came back, there would be good stuff for your original to do?

Pretty much like any console based RPG anyway. It's just they were the first ones to try fitting that to an MMO format.

Rushing to the level cap is no excuse. The game has been out 8 months. BW gambled on everyone wanting to reroll to do 90% same content and 10% different story. They lost that gamble.

You can claim that I, and players like me, rushed. I listened to all the story, I did every quest on every planet. I did all the flashpoints, I did all the space missions atleast once. I did and saw everything the game has to offer. It still took under a month to get to cap. No, I didnt play 10 hours a day while sitting in my mommies basement either. It is not the players fault that it is so easy to level in this game.

If BW wanted to bank on people wanting to level alts then there should have been more leveling paths along the way. As it stands, I cannot tolerate doing the same content over and over again. Its not entertaining to me. Im not the type that watches the same movie over and over and then watching the deleted scense to get that extra 10% content.

Rushing to the level cap is no excuse. The game has been out 8 months. BW gambled on everyone wanting to reroll to do 90% same content and 10% different story. They lost that gamble.

You can claim that I, and players like me, rushed. I listened to all the story, I did every quest on every planet. I did all the flashpoints, I did all the space missions atleast once. I did and saw everything the game has to offer. It still took under a month to get to cap. No, I didnt play 10 hours a day while sitting in my mommies basement either. It is not the players fault that it is so easy to level in this game.

If BW wanted to bank on people wanting to level alts then there should have been more leveling paths along the way. As it stands, I cannot tolerate doing the same content over and over again. Its not entertaining to me. Im not the type that watches the same movie over and over and then watching the deleted scense to get that extra 10% content.

I do have to disagree with the variances in the story - Republic to Empire isn't quite as similar as 90% of the game. If you're looking at it purely from a gameplay wise thing then yeah, it would get repetitive (Because that's what RPG's are. People give you quests, you do their quest, come back and get rewards) but between Republic and Empire, at least from a story/narrative view, the different attitudes, etc, should be what the differences are. Not the gameplay. So I do understand what you're saying with regards to it being similar, but then is that down to the story or the actual gameplay?

I'll be the first to admit the action does feel samey after a while, but as far as I understand it, that's what all MMO's are like. I'd probably not want to repeat a Republic story after a Republic story, but that is what the alternate side is for.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you run the game into the ground and don't want to switch to the other options available, then of course it's going to get boring. That said, it also shouldn't limit players to doing it only certain ways on something like this. So it wasn't squarely putting the blame on the shoulders of "rushers", honest. I just feel this is what might have caused the initial downturn and then as bad press got out, it picked up steam.

I do have to disagree with the variances in the story - Republic to Empire isn't quite as similar as 90% of the game.

You do have a point there... But that only holds true once. The first time you try the opposite faction it does feel kind of new.

But after that...

I do have to disagree with the variances in the story - Republic to Empire isn't quite as similar as 90% of the game. If you're looking at it purely from a gameplay wise thing then yeah, it would get repetitive (Because that's what RPG's are. People give you quests, you do their quest, come back and get rewards) but between Republic and Empire, at least from a story/narrative view, the different attitudes, etc, should be what the differences are. Not the gameplay. So I do understand what you're saying with regards to it being similar, but then is that down to the story or the actual gameplay?

I'll be the first to admit the action does feel samey after a while, but as far as I understand it, that's what all MMO's are like. I'd probably not want to repeat a Republic story after a Republic story, but that is what the alternate side is for.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if you run the game into the ground and don't want to switch to the other options available, then of course it's going to get boring. That said, it also shouldn't limit players to doing it only certain ways on something like this. So it wasn't squarely putting the blame on the shoulders of "rushers", honest. I just feel this is what might have caused the initial downturn and then as bad press got out, it picked up steam.

No, I am talking about the story content itself. I guess you do have a valid point, if you play opposite factions.. however, that would only =2 stories and about 2 to 3 months of gameplay at most.

Why do people hate SWTOR? Well,i'm sure that most of the people who left the game doesn't *hate* it,but more like disapointed/burned out,me included ( although i didn't unsbed yet)

Why? well,i'll say here what i'v said in diffrent threads:They failed at the basic design of the game.

Watch

and go to 4:10

"Out ideal situation is for people to enjoy a class all the way through (untill you finish the story,hit 50) and then GO BACK and open another class as there is an entierly another story there"

While this concept could be perfect for a SINGLE player game - it failed BIG time in TOR as the game was an MMO.

But that's not all of it.

A lot of people said that they left the game beacuse there was "nothing to do at level 50".This is NOT true.There are two main things that you can do when you hit 50 : do instanced PvP (WZ) and do instanced PvE content (Operations)

The problem?

BioWare just copypasted the very same end game from WoW,a game from 2004,with a few small changes.That's why people got boredVERY FAST from the level 50 content and felt like there was nothing they could do.It had the feeling of "Been there,done it" all over.

And this is not just the high end content.It 's also the combat AND the crafting system,which are also based on WoW with a few small changes.

For a triple A MMO which being released in 2012,this is just NOT enough.Look at The Secret World with it's new combat system,look at GW 2 with it's new combat system and in depth crafting system (and the WvsWvsW),heck - look at Age of Conan ! A game from 2008 who brought both new combat system and nwe things to do at the high end,such as building you're guild town and attacking you're enemy guild towns.

So what do we have here? TOR,being released in 2012 with 2004 standarts.

Now,if that wasn't enough,we also got the HUGE technical mistake that BioWare made - choosing an UN-optemized engine to run the game.

An engine which couldn't handel Open World PvP.An engine which had A LOT of FPS problems during the launch and even now days (altough smaller ones).

An engine,who CAN NOT handel the game's High Res Textures ....

The funny (or sad) thing is that BioWare actually choose this kind of GFX beacuse they wanted the game to run well on low-end spec computers ... turned out they got it the other way around.

I don't hate this game.I'm just disapointed.

I'v been following it since 2006,when it wasn't even annoucned and was under the title of "a ground braking project".

I was just expecting MORE from BioWare.No,not more Operations,not more Warzones and no more planets.I was just expecting them to creat a "ground braking" game.A game which will take the MMO's into a NEW level.

Insted,all I got was a Star Wars MMO with WoW high end.

Funny.Remamber those DOOM threads post-launch? Where people called this game "WoW in space" and complained about lack of things to do at level 50? I was one of the people who thought those threads were total BS.

I guess i was wrong...

Edited by March

"Out ideal situation is for people to enjoy a class all the way through (untill you finish the story,hit 50) and then GO BACK and open another class as there is an entierly another story there"

To be fair this was my plan.

Then I found out that 85-90% of the quests were the good old "kill 10 boars"-kind only with voiceovers.

Don't really care how much they messed up the rest of the game, but they promised to "remove the grind" and then made it ten times worse by dangling awesome class quests in front of you, but sticking hours of grinding between them.

Its crazy because the game has so much potential to be good but fails at many aspects

1) more levels for each type of warzone(not new warzone mechanics) to make warzones less boring. Aka map packs.

2) Fix legacy(see my sig)

3) Add more tiers to high end raiding content to keep people playing

4) correct the god awful armor.

If these 4 things arent fixed, swtor will fail

Edited by thomasmeadows

Hate is a strong word, I just dislike it enough to unsub. It is a great single player game and the class and world stories are awesome. That said I could only get through 2 class quests because I had to deal with the world quests again. One, maybe two times is all I plan to play any content in most games.

Ask someone from every MMO, there are always droves of people who hate the developer and nothing that they do will ever change it. The thing is that many of them will continue to pay their monthly fee so that they can play and complain on general fleet chat about the game, imps or reps cheating, poor item drops, bad crit rates, op classes, up classes...see where I am going? I have had friends that have quit because of the cost of the game even though they liked it, then started bashing the game and where it was going just because everyone else was.

If you want to like it, you will find plenty of reasons to do so, if you don't want to like it, you will find plenty of reasons not to.

Edited by Hyryu

I think that it's a wonderful game! Fantastic stories, voice acting and art design.

However...

- The content updates haven't come that fast.

- Some of the game systems should've been there from the start - cough - cough - LFG tool. At least that they're there now

- Some of the classes and talent trees feel like they're from WoW around WOTLK - they feel dated.

- That '90% finished' feeling. Hard to put my finger on it, but there's lots of places in the game where it still feels rough around the edges. That extra 10% is incredibly important.

one word Illum.

I beleive that Illum was supposed to be the big thing that was at the end, during you class quests at the end the war has restarted yet now after you do corellia andthe chain quest leading up to the battle of Illum FP it does fell a little like, then nothing.

I never got the chance to experance Illlum before it was shall we say nerfed but i feel that biowares ace in the hole for endgame was Illum, the planet sounded like it would be the bettlefront to the mmo genre but it failed, and bioware instead of focusing there entire effot into fixing it made the legacy new FP and warzones which ones they have been done once loose their appeal.

If they had focued there entire effot into fixing it then mybe we wouldnt be at the FTP stage less than a year down the line.

Edited by Kaisernick

Look, it'd be wrong to say that I hate SWTOR. Now, Bioware/EA... Maybe....

I *want* to like this game. The problem is that no matter how much I want to like this game, Bioware/EAA has dropped the ball. I have played MMOs for 10+ years. I can live without high-end graphics. I can live with limited animations. It'd be nice, but it's not what I want from a game... I want something to do. I want to log in for a few hours and actually feel like I have accomplished something. SWTOR does not deliver that....

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things you can do in a few hours in this game. They just have zero replay value. Even if you buy into the argument that you should have alts and do all the storylines that means that you also have to do enough other things to level so that you can continue to the next step of the storyline and that's just painful. By the time you have finished two or three 50s you have already done every planet quest and all the space missions and you have to begin repeating content to get through the next storyline.

Assume you *aren't* into alts and want to be able to do something to improve your main. You can get in an go run instances (FP or OP) to get more gear... First you do your HM FPs and see all the content you have already seen (yes, the same cut scenes and dialog) with the same fight or something close to it. There are exceptions where a new mechanic appears but these are rare. No new content here. Then you go run Ops. These are new content and in some cases even innovative. The Soa encounter was actually kinda cool. And it only bugged out 20% of the time (not including the reset bugs that we knew how to trigger and hence how to avoid reliably)....

And once you got a fight down the loot flowed like water. Never mind that there were multiple sources of gear at the same tier (e.g. Rakata in HM Ops and then in EC Story plus crafted plus dailies). Just doing Ops was enough to gear a full raid in a month. The additional difficult of HM or NiM? Why bother doing it again? You don't see anything new. You don't need the gear and you certainly don't need to deal with the headaches from the bugs.

This might be forgiven if there'd been any sign that they were working on the bugs or even new content but their patches showed little or no promise in this direction. New operations were slow out the door. Bug fixes were slow and not particularly directed. Bugs which had been reported prior to launch were still in the game.

I do ponder what this game's "legacy" will be. How will it be thought of a few years from now or will it not even register? Its not like TOR was as bad as Vanguard. Nor did it crash and burn like Tabula Rasa. It was more successful than WAR. So how will TOR be remembered? Edited by SirRobin

I think people can't get it through thier heads this is only the begining...They are spoiled in thinking that the "whole game" should be delivered to them on a silver platter... All you critics out there, this game is still in it's infancy... WoW was the giant in MMO's and believe me, It was anything but glorious in the beginning and it took years of fine tuning to make it into a giant. This Game hasn't even been rolling for a year yet and has already by far exceeded all expectations to the "true" star wars fans. In my Opinion, I think they should focus on just that, the loyal custumers and all the cry baby's can go Play a Panda on that other MMO. For all those Bio Ware folks working hard to make this game exciting for Us to enjoy "THANK YOU!", but to all the cry babys, wanting the impossible. Just do us a favor and go play Panada's cause we are tired of hearing you complain... :)

:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah... :rolleyes:

Sorry, but as someone who remembers watching Star Wars on the big screen back in '77. As someone who even had the first X-Wing and TIE Fighter toys, though I lost the springs for the TIE Fighter. I'm not sure where you are pulling that "true fan" stuff from.

Though I've got an idea... ;)

Edited by SirRobin

I truly believe no one hates the game itself, rather what potential it has/had, and how it's fallen WAY short .....

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=514291

That fits me but I do think a small minority do hate the game!

For those that truely hate the game, I think you will find they mostly come from 1 of 2 camps

SWG players (not all) who convinced themselves despite being told flat out this wasnt SWG2, that this game would be the recreation of SWG modernized. The sandbox players bitter at the world that they and their 5 buddies are not enough of a player base to give them the type of game they demand.

Hard core PVPers. TOR simply doesnt deliver for hard core PVPers. Never has and I doubt ever will. Its kinda a shame to as of all the games since DAoC was released. This game has the setting to do RVR the proper way. But it didnt and no way no how hard core pvpers stay in TOR. For them, GW2 really is something to look forward to and not just mindless hype of the next big thing mentality.

I beleive those 2 camps hate TOR with a passion

For the rest, its not that they hate TOR. They hate how it didnt deliver what was promised. Hate EA/Bioware (same thing now). Hate how badly they missed the potential of the setting and game. And finally hate the BS PR statements blaming the subscribers for TORs failings. Hate the lack of action taken on the obviously trolling fanboys of the forums who attack anyone with a differing opinion and almost never actually say anything (fanboys that is) about the actual game.

Im still playing TOR but Id be lieing if I said TOR hit the mark on anymore then 20% of its full potential.

EA simply didnt deliver the game they advertised, promoted, and made us all want so badly.

Whats there is ok (tho some areas like Stun Wars in PVP is beyond stupid), but it could have been and should have been so so so so so so much more if EA had done its homework, taken time to understand the genre and why copying WOW in many ways wasnt the answer, it was the problem.

I expected more from TOR and dont appreciate EA mouth peices blaming me the subscriber for their stupidity and lack of proffessional and intelectual creativity when TOR failed.

PS: I just want to add Ive been in MMOs for 21+ years so those of you calling people MMO newbs (Its MMORPG btw, if you were half as educated in the genre as you claim you would know that) dont understand the game needs to grow. And those saying TOR in its infancy and this just the begining. Maybe you all should stop posting and putting words in others mouths cause this OLD TIMER is telling you EAware dropped the ball and this game will forever be known as a commercial failure and disappointment!

Its going F2P and contrary to your claims that F2P doesnt indicate failure, YOUR WRONG. This game was promoted and sold and advertised as a SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAME that should be supporting multiple millions of subscribers. And 2.1 million people bought the game with intentiopn of subscribing (so NO ONE was scared off by a subscription model as the false tale being spun by EA and fanboys).

This game FAILED OUTRIGHT. Heck Rift lasted a year before going limited F2P. TOR is going F2P (many people will play the class stories 1-50 and not care about ops and fps and pvp while never paying a dime to EA) in under a year time. THATS FAILURE, OUTRIGHT FAILURE.

They could get 20 million sign ups for F2P and the report card will always read

TOR, not being able to hack it in the subscription base market of the high end MMORPGs has carved out a respectable share in the F2P market. But the failure in the subscription based market will always hang over their head as a failure to live up to its potential.

Thats the reveiw you will read about TOR in 5 years if they do carve out a following in the F2P market!

TOR is not going through growing pain. TOR is not only disappointing to new players. TOR MISSED EVERY TARGET THEY HAD, excluding early sale figures that exceeded initial projections.

Spin all you want, insult anyone that disagrees with you all you want. TOR is now a MMORPG failure and will always carry that tagline next to its name.

Edited by Kalfear

Its cause they need to put more addiction into the game.

1) Pazzak : with rare cards that can be found from anywhere and you can play against other people.

2) free Flight Space PVP Warzones : new custom ship slots and items followed by more crafted items for the ships.

3) Free Flight Space PVE Operations : Operations that not only has you fighting bosses on ships but taking down large ships in epic space battles.

4) More Costom options : Barber shop to change your charaters look and hairstyles. Space Ship Cutoms shops that Change the way your ship looks. More Costumes for people to play with that look more like starwars. adding more hairstyles ( long hair , TY )

5) Monthly Events that repeat yearly. maybe using their last event for holloween month and build off that.

6) Release alot more pvp warzones maps

7) Guild Objectives : give more reasons to be in a guild and be apart of it.]

i could keep going for days but i dont get paid for it