I urge people to calm down about F2P, and check out DDO

ZionHalcyon

The OP has a point.

As much as I don't like f2p, I can still have a sub and people who don't want to pay a sub have options now too. If it helps save the game then great. I'd rather they do this now then when it's too late.

really?

just look at the EQ2,

is it comparable to the same period game, the WoW?

no, it is just barely alive.

how a BW+SW combination become to this?

the famous blackisland has long gone from BG1 to DA2,

that time when EA bought them.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm a snob, but while a very few F2P have some okay content, I consider them failures, and they'll never improve.

Well I think some are OK like LotRO but STO has taken a turn for the worse since it went F2P, they even charge for boxes now which only have a chance of containing an item. Every new ship is charged for and not added as content. The whole store idea is getting out of control.

What? The game ends when it goes F2P. How is it that no one understands that a F2P model means no new game development. No expansion. No new races. Just a bunch of fluff that you have to pay for. I would rather play Minecraft all day

DDO is getting ready to release their first expansion, ever.

LOTRO is getting ready to release a new expansion.

Both F2P.

You hope.

We have no idea what the prices in the cash shop will be yet. Please don't fool yourself into thinking that Bioware isn't going to try and get $$ (besides your subscription), from you, too.

Yeah but whats important is the content.Do you have access to it or not?Everything else is fluff.Since my guild runs content 4 times a week, we in general will be unaffected.In other words if you dont have a sub you cant do the content, youll get bored real quick.

As a sub i wont need to pay for anything ,unless i REALLY REALLY want an item from the shop.Then i do pay for it.Not our fault you cant afford such things.

Well I think some are OK like LotRO but STO has taken a turn for the worse since it went F2P, they even charge for boxes now which only have a chance of containing an item. Every new ship is charged for and not added as content. The whole store idea is getting out of control.

lotro has the lootboxes too. They set it up in such a way where it just barely avoids being considered online gambling

Yeah but whats important is the content.Do you have access to it or not?Everything else is fluff.Since my guild runs content 4 times a week, we in general will be unaffected.In other words if you dont have a sub you cant do the content, youll get bored real quick.

As a sub i wont need to pay for anything ,unless i REALLY REALLY want an item from the shop.Then i do pay for it.Not our fault you cant afford such things.

Again, you won't know this until F2P is launched. Until then, it's wishful thinking.

Edited by Skoobie

lotro has the lootboxes too. They set it up in such a way where it just barely avoids being considered online gambling

Ah, I haven't played there some time. It sounds very much like STO where it is basically like buying a lottery ticket. I'm amazed they can get away with it really.

That system is coming here.

THe EA confernece call for this said that 40% of the people who left said it was because of the monthly sub.

F2P brings 40% of the lost population back.

IMHO ppl left the game because we didn't get new content for a long time.

And btw who cares about 40% of these players come back if they can ONLY do story mode.. if you are a subscriber you will not have interest in playing with them, because you will be doing operations in hard/nightmare mode.

So it will be a bunch of ppl rambling across the server, without any use for you, remember that they will have a very limited Galactic Trade Network acces and without entering in operations it will be very dificult they can sell something interesting.

Oak

Pretty much but hey the masses want free software so thats what they get.I for one dont work for free.Neither do the devs for Bioware or ANY company out there.

On the other hand you dont NEED those locked boxes to play the content.Theres a big difference.So dont be giving the wrong impression here.The locked boxes are fluff.Not compulsory to play the game.

If the game store is gonna be like in for example EQ2, namely fluff items and exp/rest(vitality potions), then people gonna throw money after Bioware. Seriously, the day they announced the cash shop in eq2 with appereance items, mounts and fluff items, they threw money at SoE. I just hope they stick to fluff/appereance items, pets, mounts and potions. If they do, its gonna be a win for Bioware. If people are even half as vain, and appereance crazy as eq2 community its gonna rake in huge amount of money for Bioware.

As to comment to the F2P model, EverQuest 2 did just the same thing, the same reaction was in the community. 1 month into it was introduced and in place atleast my server had a huge influx of new players. However, that said, Bioware need to hasten and get A LOT of content out there, otherwise the new players gonna lose interest very quickly. I can understand the anger and disappointment for what Bioware is doing by introducing F2P, but really, what are the alternatives? Really? In a worst case scenario, which this is, Bioware probably did the right choice.

EA practically called SWTOR a huge failure and threw the game under the train and watched it get ground to mincemeat. As it stands now Bioware is alone, EA has turned their backs and has practically given the game up.

Guild Wars would be a better example for everyone.

No its not comparable, since SWTOR is a hybrid F2P/P2P

Meh this was a long ramble, this was supposed to be 2 lines long but it turned out to be longer. Sorry about that.

Edited by archeraplyxa

I'm only aware of one top tier P2P MMO, and that's WoW. The rest are going the F2P model, or dying slow deaths. And Panda's are going to ruin WoW to the point where it's also going freemium. It's the future for this genre.

i have to agree, I played WOW for years and cata was my last straw. when i heard that pandas was their Xpack i knew that they hit a new low.... i might and i mean might have gone back for emerald dream or for seragas but pandas..... that is just terrible.........................

Again, you won't know this until F2P is launched. Until then, it's wishful thinking.

I can talk from experience.I had a year sub to AoC.I let it go F2P.

My inventory got cut by one quarter.My gold limit was set to 2 g.the rest go into your account if you ever sub again.

My access to high end content was completely cut off.

My character limit went from 8 to 3.I have 8 but only have access to 3.

So im left with a handful of dailies in the original release game zone and no access for high group content aka raids.

In essence im left with the original release of AoC.Is that wishfull thinking enough for ya? :D

I can talk from experience.I had a year sub to AoC.I let it go F2P.

My inventory got cut by one quarter.My gold limit was set to 2 g.the rest go into your account if you ever sub again.

My access to high end content was completely cut off.

My character limit went from 8 to 3.I have 8 but only have access to 3.

So im left with a handful of dailies in the original release game zone and no access for high group content aka raids.

In essence im left with the original release of AoC.Is that wishfull thinking enough for ya? :D

THat was your choice - you could have paid your sub and kept things as they were, no?

THat was your choice - you could have paid your sub and kept things as they were, no?

Correct.In the end its cheaper to pay for a sub than to add inventory space- cha-ching, add more content-cha-ching, add access to the rest of my characters- cha-ching....

See what i mean?

And i can speak from experience with friends who still play DDO and they agree.Theyve told me they have spent more without a sub than with the sub.Its basic math.They of course went back to re-subbing ,LOL!

Edited by Akomo

THey are using a variation of the DDO model, not the STO model.

From everything I have read that does seem to be the way its going and frankly I'm fine with that. If it changes though I'll decide accordingly. I'm not going to pass judgement until I have more than an FAQ to pass judgement on. It would be nice if others did the same instead of looking for the nearest roof to jump off of.

DDO is getting ready to release their first expansion, ever.

LOTRO is getting ready to release a new expansion.

Both F2P.

You do know that LOTRO already had all their expansions pre packaged right? Also how long did it take DDO to release its so called expansion? Both are total failed projects. Very few people actually play those games. Also why would you pay for content. Basically they can set any price they want on stuff. With a sub you know you are paying a set price for material. Oh but the thing is you need to produce material that isnt garbage like this game.

You do know that LOTRO already had all their expansions pre packaged right? Also how long did it take DDO to release its so called expansion? Both are total failed projects. Very few people actually play those games. Also why would you pay for content. Basically they can set any price they want on stuff. With a sub you know you are paying a set price for material. Oh but the thing is you need to produce material that isnt garbage like this game.

Yet you are here.Go try immortal online or Darkfall both pvp oriented games and youll see a new low to garbage games.

DDO wasn't a true MMO. It was ok and the reason it went F2P is because it was missing a great deal when compared to the competition. TOR's issues all came from development errors...like destroying the classes people were enjoying to make the lackluster content more of a challenge. To much put into end game raiding rather than 50+ planetary content. No support for PVP...a development team that was "suprised" that people were PVPing. A focus on metrics outcomes over class design. The list goes on but the developers had a chance to bring the game back around...instead they give up. It takes a great deal of failure to go from nearly 2 million subs to 300k or less in 6 months. Mudflation was to fast in this game..1.2 was a terrible patch and they have not gotten better since.

I don't really get the f2p rage either, at this point it can only help increase pop and those who continue to sub will get everything. I think people are just venting because, like me, they wanted this game to be so successful, it really could have been, and they feel like with f2p, it failed.

It's not really the case though, I believe things can still come around.