The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

Can i ask why are they adding FREE2PLAY to star wars the old republic at this time?

Because they keep loosing subs and because other games have profited from going to this so called fremium model (offering both F2P and a subscription model).

Lets see if they will do it right.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok just to clarify I read some on the matter. What happened was they (SOE) had a license going out in 2012 and decided not to renew it. Both LA and SOE agreed upon that. In any case my original point stands that BW had nothing to do with the decision. It was purely an SOE/LA matter. I think we can all agree to that.

Besides this thread is about TOR going F2P not about why SWG was canceled so let's not go way off-topic here.

Edited by dosadnik

I think I'm being trolled. :confused:

Oh so someone asking you to even show 1 single article stating that SWG was ordered closed by lucasarts is trolling you now? I showed you an article disproving what you claim. You have no basis for your claim and cannot even find a single article backing you up.

Simple fact is as I stated SOE made the decision based on the fact it figured noone would be playing SWG if a new star wars game came out. I personally think they should have left it up. In no way did lucasarts kill SWG. You are simply mistaken.

Oh so someone asking you to even show 1 single article stating that SWG was ordered closed by lucasarts is trolling you now? I showed you an article disproving what you claim. You have no basis for your claim and cannot even find a single article backing you up.

Simple fact is as I stated SOE made the decision based on the fact it figured noone would be playing SWG if a new star wars game came out. I personally think they should have left it up. In no way did lucasarts kill SWG. You are simply mistaken.

We got that. Can we please stay on topic here? If you two want to continue arguing please make a new thread or do it in private messages. I will report this for being off topic if you guys continue. Read my last post.

Edited by dosadnik

We got that. Can we please stay on topic here? If you two want to continue arguing please make a new thread or do it in private messages. I will report this for being off topic if you guys continue. Read my last post.

Report away. Remember they will look at your posts too. Yours are rather rude too. So be careful what you wish for.

Report away. Remember they will look at your posts too. Yours are rather rude too. So be careful what you wish for.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/07/11/219257/why-soe-decided-to-cancel-star-wars-galaxies

http://tagn.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/star-wars-galaxies-to-close-in-december/

Also, woohoo F2P. Can't wait for it and all the goodies etc and coins.

This was inevitable a long time ago, not because SWTOR failed, but because Free2Play represents the future of the industry. Instead of being a bunch of old farts, more conservative gamers need to wake up and realize that gaming just became a little bit more of what it already is: too good to be true. Edited by Jjix

This was inevitable a long time ago, not because SWTOR failed, but because Free2Play represents the future of the industry. Instead of being a bunch of old farts, more conservative gamers need to wake up and realize that gaming just became a little bit more of what it already is . . . too good to be true.

another fanboi ? ill ask u this why is rift not f2p tera WoW ? o thats right they decent enough games that didnt cost 200mil to make

another fanboi ? ill ask u this why is rift not f2p tera WoW ? o thats right they decent enough games that didnt cost 200mil to make

Rift has a small but profitable subscriber base and Trion isnt money hungry. WoW has millions of subs. Tera was just released and is doing fine as is.

If you knew me you'd know I'm definitely no fanboi of SWTOR. All of those games will be f2play in a couple years. You can quote me on that.

Well thats it for me I"M OUT. Augest 28 for the new game!

Yep yep. Don't forget the rip in swtor 12/20/2011 - 8/28/2012 ;)

I fixed that for you. Enjoy yourself. I'll be playing both.

Well some games have people wanting to actually buy them instead of them having to give them out to people to play. ;)

Edited by LordKOLZ

Rift has a small but profitable subscriber base and Trion isnt money hungry. WoW has millions of subs. Tera was just released and is doing fine as is.

Thing is, Rift and Tera did not cost as much as SWTOR and they can live with a much smaller subscription base.

Tera is not doing so well though.

I'm not saying F2P for SWTOR will be a good thing, but I just won't get upset about it either.

Both articles prove my point thanks. This quote in particular says EXACTLY what I said.

"We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts. And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game."

They figured it was not worth it to renew the license. It says nothing about Lucasarts. In fact the article's title says "SOE decides to pull the plug".

Not sure if this was asked, but I didn't see an answer on it from a dev so I'm assuming it wasn't. There's a bonus on Cartel Coins for those who bought the Collector's Edition, but will there be any recognition along the same lines for those who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition?

Not sure if this was asked, but I didn't see an answer on it from a dev so I'm assuming it wasn't. There's a bonus on Cartel Coins for those who bought the Collector's Edition, but will there be any recognition along the same lines for those who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition?

There's a thread to ask questions like these if you wish..

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=513528

Edited by ScarletBlaze

They also shouldn't be allowed ANY access to their class story. None what so ever. They want to know what's up with their toon, they have to pay a sub. Really, Bioware. Don't do this. Yeah you might get more people playing, but I would rather have 5 people total in this game with TONS of new voice acting and such, then tons of people and no NEW voice acting. I could give a toss less about people in this game. I want MORE story and companions.

You realize the idea is to bring new players in (and give them ways to pay BW money) not preserve your right to be a special, special snowflake, right? :rak_02: