Broken Promises or Unrealistic Expectations?

Gersidi

no offense but thats like saying, "you still have a grandma, she's just in the grave"

I don't know if it was on the side of the engine or the netcode, but this game cannot support a large ammount of player so world pvp on Ilum was pretty much shut down, now you can play devils advocate all you want and dont forget to send my regards to grandma

Large Scale world PVP is impossible, True, however World PVP is possible and exists, I see it all the time, On tatooine, Hoth, even Nar Shadaa, and of course the broken Illum. Its more like Grandma was born deformed, but you still have grandma, and when she takes her meds, you might even get a ****** batch of baked cookies.

The Game doesnt have the World PVP most players wanted or expected, but to say they lied and didnt deliver, is a bit strong, because it IS there.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, why did I come back here again? I stopped playing for a long while partly because I couldn't stand all the inane drivel, both on the boards and in the chat. It just got too much. I mean, people complaining IN THE GAME WHILE PLAYING THE GAME just got to be too much. I bounced. I come back, and it's like I never left. The SAME complaints, the SAME arguments, and the SAME people saying the SAME things. Idiots, the lot of you. I would like to see some examples of other MMO developers who said they were going to do one thing, and than did another. There would be a lot, methinks. Topic is dumb, people are dumb, SW:TOR boards are Gamefaqs level. Congrats.

To be fair, in EC, we beat on 2 giant mobs :D

Im not disputing that, what Im saying is ridicuous is that you guys are pulling quotes from the early phases of development, like 4 years ago, and say "look, they lied James Olhen lied!!!" I mean grow up people. Personally I dont raid and dont care about it, endgame for me was PVP and maybe do dalies once in a while, maybe even do a Flashpoint if one of my friends needed help.

perhaps you missed the part about hundreds of thousands of subs cancelling every quarter?
Well - gee now. I heard about the 400k decrease in subs from 1.7M to 1.3M as reported in April. At least I think it was reported in April... Not exactly every quarter unless we are supposed to take your word for it. Edited by GalacticKegger

Perhaps. But when you keep repeating over the years how heroic is this and how heroic is that... and how some things aren`t possible because of Lore... only to come year 2011 and say "We got some good news and some bad news about Raids.. the good news is that they`re called Operations! The bad news is that you need 8 and 16 heroic people to beat down on a single Boss, because it isn`t heroic for 8 or 16 people to beat on one Boss" ; or making Pureblood or Miraluka available for sides that they aren`t normally available in the Lore... then it`s lying.

Why? Because their tune never changed since then. It was the same crap about feeling heroic and how they`ll bring MMO to a new level.

When did they say they were going to bring MMOs to a new level? I remember them saying they WERENT re inventing the wheel, they were just adding the Story pillar. I know this for a fact,because since 2008 all the way up until about a year to release, story was ALL they wanted to talk about.

The sad truth is that BW is not only developer with unrealized promises to their community.

Maybe they wanted best and wanted to implement most of those promised things but time worked against them and EA pressure on them to push the game out for Christmas release so that many features which they originally planned for the game where cuted from release.

MMOS are type of games which are constantly in development and in which are constantly added new things during their lifespan so maybe some of those features will come in the future updates.

Edited by Lunablade

If that is true then it's because most are actually playing the game or doing RL stuff (Olympics come to mind.)

You just put an image of all of the forum posters competing in the Olympics, it is a very funny picture :D I can't stop laughing.

When did they say they were going to bring MMOs to a new level? I remember them saying they WERENT re inventing the wheel, they were just adding the Story pillar. I know this for a fact,because since 2008 all the way up until about a year to release, story was ALL they wanted to talk about.

at 0:55

Well - gee now. I heard about the 400k decrease in subs from 1.7M to 1.3M as reported in April. Not exactly every quarter unless we are supposed to take your word for it.

Dont take my word for it. Just watch man... its happening all around you. Just because the die hards dont see it, does not mean it isnt happening. Ive been in enough MMOs to see it happen and I know what I see.

Man, why did I come back here again? I stopped playing for a long while partly because I couldn't stand all the inane drivel, both on the boards and in the chat. It just got too much. I mean, people complaining IN THE GAME WHILE PLAYING THE GAME just got to be too much. I bounced. I come back, and it's like I never left. The SAME complaints, the SAME arguments, and the SAME people saying the SAME things. Idiots, the lot of you. I would like to see some examples of other MMO developers who said they were going to do one thing, and than did another. There would be a lot, methinks. Topic is dumb, people are dumb, SW:TOR boards are Gamefaqs level. Congrats.

Then you just don't get it, the complaints wouldn't exist in this volume if the Devs did something.

Edited by Tuscad

The sad truth is that BW is not only developer with unrealized promises to their community.

Maybe they wanted best and wanted to implement most of those promised things but time worked against them and EA pressure on them to push the game out for Christmas release so that many features needed to be cuted from the game.

MMOS are type of games which are constantly in development and which are constantly added new things during their lifespan so maybe some of those feature will come in the future updates.

Id say it was more the Testers than EA. Alot of stuff got cut during the testing phase. Killing companions, Meaningful Choices. Hell that whole kill the captain thing, made alot of players angry.

Alot of choices in the game were supposed to open up more content later on, but players didnt like that they would miss out on content because of their choices. For example they even showed a video one time of the Jedi knight sparing the Sith's life on tatooine, and then later in the game you got to see the sith again and here about how his jedi training was going.

That got cut during testing, along with how if you let the captain live you could get quests from him later on. Had nothing to do with EA. Alot of this stuff got cut during testing, by player feedback. So did crafting, and Modding.

at 0:55

"We're going to MMOs to a new level in the way the combat unfolds in The Old Republic"

Okay...well they delivered that we have the cinematic like combat. How does this have anything to do with Raids, or PVP?

Alot of choices in the game were supposed to open up more content later on, but players didnt like that they would miss out on content because of their choices. For example they even showed a video one time of the Jedi knight sparing the Sith's life on tatooine, and then later in the game you got to see the sith again and here about how his jedi training was going.

I happen to have that video right here:

Id say it was more the Testers than EA. Alot of stuff got cut during the testing phase. Killing companions, Meaningful Choices. Hell that whole kill the captain thing, made alot of players angry.

That got cut during testing, along with how if you let the captain live you could get quests from him later on. Had nothing to do with EA. Alot of this stuff got cut during testing, by player feedback. So did crafting, and Modding.

I'd agree with you somewhat, however I remember the testing forums being littered with hundreds of posts about how the game was too linear, lacked innovation, customization was horrible, what choices? (even before we even knew about gifts). We can't even begin to tackle the whole combat issue because they didn't even let us test endgame, it was all done by their "secret" team.

Dont take my word for it. Just watch man... its happening all around you. Just because the die hards dont see it, does not mean it isnt happening. Ive been in enough MMOs to see it happen and I know what I see.
What I see is RWZ pops in less than 15 minutes, FP queues that take maybe 10 minutes at the most, making 50k a day on the GTN and more players grouping up than not. That's on 3 of the 12 servers: Jedi Covenant, Begeren and Drooga's. If the 12 current servers is enough to sustain development then the game's sub base has solidified. Whether or not it becomes the best selling game of all time makes no difference to the die hards you speak of.

Then you just don't get it, the complaints wouldn't exist in this volume if the Devs did something.

LOLOLOLOL. Is this your first freaking day on the Internet?! All people DO on the Internet is complain. They complain about Apple, they complain about Kim Kardashian, they complain about the price of tea in China and they complain about video games. Get a grip there, Tuscad. There's a thread here that actually complains about having to choose, 'Environment: swtor1' on here. ONE EXTRA BUTTON CLICK. Yet, it exists. You people are stupid.

That is when it is on the devs and the people in charge of making the game have to know what is best for the game then.

Testers are really good for finding bugs and glitches. Testing out the game and not making such large decisions on the game like that.

Haha he even used the exact words "take it to a new level" lol.

"...in the way that combat unfolds in the old republic"

But hey, dont even bother listening to the rest of the freaking sentence, you guys remind of religius zealots misquoting Darwin for some reason.

That video was actually talking about combat and how they plan to take it to a new level, etc.

I'd agree with you somewhat, however I remember the testing forums being littered with hundreds of posts about how the game was too linear, lacked innovation, customization was horrible, what choices? (even before we even knew about gifts). We can't even begin to tackle the whole combat issue because they didn't even let us test endgame, it was all done by their "secret" team.

I just gave you two examples of the choices. Also there was alot more to modding, and gear customization then what everyone got in the open beta. Yeah Character customization really kinda sucks. But when they said there was going to be hundreds of customizeable options they were talking about gear, not character creation, in fact character creation was one of the very last things they talked about...in fact I dont think they ever talked about it really, just let it leak out lol.

The moddable gear was really awesome because you could really make a unique look for your character, didnt matter what you looked like UNDER the Armor. However alot of that stuff got changed too in testing, because players didnt like how moddable gear made gear grinding pretty much obsolete.

LOLOLOLOL. Is this your first freaking day on the Internet?! All people DO on the Internet is complain. They complain about Apple, they complain about Kim Kardashian, they complain about the price of tea in China and they complain about video games. Get a grip there, Tuscad. There's a thread here that actually complains about having to choose, 'Environment: swtor1' on here. ONE EXTRA BUTTON CLICK. Yet, it exists. You people are stupid.

Ah, yes, Bioware Fanboys. The immensely stupid race of non-sentient tard's allegedly defending Bioware. We have dismissed that claim.

That is when it is on the devs and the people in charge of making the game have to know what is best for the game then.

Testers are really good for finding bugs and glitches. Testing out the game and not making such large decisions on the game like that.

I agree. However when your player base whines **** gets changed. Hell it happens in WOW all the time. They just have 10 million subs so anyone who complains about the changes can be shunned. Unlike here.