Community Q&A Thread Blog Discussion: July 27th, 2012

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-.-

Hello everyone - we appreciate your feedback on the Q&A and have read this thread, but ask that you continue providing your feedback in the discussion thread for the Q&A post http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=511491). We'd like to remind you to be respectful of other community members, even if you disagree with them, and avoid the "hater vs fanboy" arguments that tend to drag threads off-topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

This stupid message ^ brought me to this thread.

Forum police are out in full force as usual. Here's my OP from my thread.

Link To original thread "Bioware's Q&A - What a Joke (14 pages of posts relating to this topic to read) here -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=511673

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, they have time to answer questions that no one could give a flying **** about, but when it comes to answering real questions, Bioware is nowhere to be found. The lack of 'news' in this game is appauling. The fact that Bioware's management team cant seem grasp that keeping secrets is detaching their community from the developers.

People only really come to the forums to post negative feedback now, with one to two posts occasionally being a positive note - how about you LEARN from this bioware, people want more then an occasional response from a Moderator saying "this is an known issue, i'm going to close the thread you spent time out of your day making"

It's becoming clear that people are responding to this topic without realising the kind of crap we're being fed by bioware. Here are 2 out of 5 of the questions they answered this week for your enjoyment.

Char_Ell:

What is the backstory of the seven pillars on Corellia commemorating the heroes of The Jedi Civil War in BTC 303 (Revan, Bastila, Carth, Canderous, Juhani, Mission, Zaalbar)? How did the people of Corellia arrive at the decision to build the pillars?

Hall Hood (Lead Writer): Monuments to these great heroes who saved the entire Republic were constructed on multiple Core Worlds after the war’s end. The motivations behind these memorials differed from planet to planet. Some were built by politicians cynically displaying their patriotism, while others were created by artists and refugees seeking to honor their saviors. Corellia’s pillars, like its many museums, were built as much for tourism as a sincere display of Republic solidarity. Trivia note: a beautiful monument to the heroes stood outside Coruscant’s Galactic Senate building for nearly three centuries, but was destroyed by Sith Empire forces during the planet’s sacking.

(Apparently this stuff is important in relation to the future of the game ^ which has had a lot of doubt cast towards it lately)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skendra:

Question about Legacy! Under Character Perks -> Travel, at 1.2 there was buff for Sprint Speed but locked and now in 1.3 it was changed to Priority Transport. Why?

Will Wallace (Senior Designer): There were both internal and external balance concerns about allowing players to purchase upgrades to Sprint speed, especially as it related to advantages in Warzones. We don't want someone to feel like they have to have an optional purchase to be competitive in PvP. The Priority Transport perks were created as a replacement since they are beneficial for all players without upsetting the balance of the game.

Apparently here, common sense couldn't just prevail for this one user ^ - Hmmm why did they take out a feature they intended on releasing, and replace it with something more balanced.

Edited by Nanglez

Invalid lock/referral.

We weren't discussing THIS particular Q&A, but Q&As in general, but whatever. >_>

Exactly, the closest you could come is the fact we used this most recent Q&A as a example... Possibly to relate best the community who tends to keep up with this sort of thing. Bioware you're going to have to start hiring people who's job it is, to sit on the forums all day and post fluff threads about how the games doing great and the communication between the dev's and the community is excellent.

I still enjoy this game and after all its the people and the content that make this game....

But come on what a waste of time... this was

I really enjoy this game but silly QA like this just add fuel to the fire that . this game is dragged in to the ground

News on Content !!!

" if u build it ( content ) they will come"

=P field of dreams

There were both internal and external balance concerns about allowing players to purchase upgrades to Sprint speed, especially as it related to advantages in Warzones. We don't want someone to feel like they have to have an optional purchase to be competitive in PvP. The Priority Transport perks were created as a replacement since they are beneficial for all players without upsetting the balance of the game.

AND YET, they have Legacy Class buffs THAT HAVE BEEN affecting balance in warzones, without allowing players a way to purchase these upgrades, or remove them from warzones.

I know you only want to be "vague" about the future, but even a vague answer is better than no answer. I looked over last week's "many pages" of questions and there were numerous questions asked over and over by many people and none of those "hot topics" were addressed (not just the "hood" question). The quesitons that did get an answer were rather obscure and were only asked by one person. I'd think you'd want to cater to the majority of those that bothered to ask at all, even if the answer is, "We don't know yet." :confused:

The game is great, but having some sort of "roadmap" for the future would be nice to see. You know what we want to know, we ask it over an over (just look at last week's posts again). Hopefully next week's Q&A will have more in it that matches the questions we are actually asking.

I didn't know that you worked in the accounting department at EA | BW Deewe? So you're saying that subscription fees are the only source of income that EA | BW has diverted to the team working on SWTOR. You don't think they might be getting income (transactions in the black) from anywhere else that might also contribute? You don't think that EA is using other non SWTOR related resources to continue (transactions in the red) working on a project that they believe in (either financially or on principle)?

If the amount of resources, financially or other, devoted towards SWTOR shifts, then as a company, EA | BW will have to address that internally. I doubt that they want to lose subscribers, and I bet they want you to enjoy yourself. But if you are not happy, don't ruin it for those out there who actually do want to know more than just when is this happening and when is that happening.

To be fair: Touche.

But let me retrace my steps a bit to look at your thoughts on this weeks Q&A. According to Deewe:

-It would not have been hard to code in that sprint boosts cannot be used in warzones. (As if he/she knows anything about what it takes to do anything related to develop for the game, also neglecting the fact that this design could give QQ'ers more ammunition to QQ about.) I personally like the choice. On my way to 50 I was able to quickly QT to the Outlaw's Den to loot some Recruit Gear on a daily basis. At 50 I'm able to quickly QT to the BH for dailies. What's not to like?

-The Rakghoul Outbreak event was a failure, and no-one at EA | BW has any idea how to handle making use of the DNA Samples. (Really? If you Google "Rakghoul Outbreak" there is page after page of people commenting on how great the event was. The TorWars crew or the TORked crew, cannot remember which one it was, noted how cleanly it was done compared to other MMO's in one of their podcasts. While there is most likely an equal number of negative pages on this, I am inclined to believe that they revolve around not being able to turn in our DNA Samples (which they did cover, to the best of their abilities at this time), or having invisible companions, as if it is that big of a deal.) I for one, enjoyed the heck out of the event, it brought our guild closer, and I cannot wait for the next one. Oh, and my Crimson Rakghoul takes offense to you comments, and wishes you to retract them.

-Paid character transfer is a must, or people will unsub. (I do agree that I am anxious to get micro-transactions for character transfer, but everything I have witnessed thus far is leading me to believe EA | BW are really putting a lot of effort into server balancing. While I believe the MT character transfer will affect their research, they will work it out. It's not a deal breaker tho. When we want to do that we all just re-roll together, and have a blast earning social along the way.)

-Deewe is angry about crashing. (It was all right there in the A to the Q. They are aware that with the advent of 1.3 uptime has increased but there has been a rampant (maybe too strong) issue with disconnects. If it has happened to you, then you know what is happening when it happens, and he said they are working on it.)

Ha, looks like my post that generated this aggro was removed. Oh well.... "Submit Reply"

Few things: first I'm impressed that my 5 lines generated this wall, no kidding!

It's not that complicated to exclude sprint buff from WZ as they already created the function for say relics or adrenals or even better some skills that doesn't work in WZ either.

Here's a few things that went wrong with the event:

1. Setting a Wowish / horror movie event as first event in a SW game
  2. Not even setting it in a good time frame like around Halloween (for a horror event)
  3. Not advertising long enough before the start
  4. Not sending emails to the players
  5. Telling players to avoid Tatooine (I know people who avoided it because BioWare told them to... )
  6. Making it so you have to start day one and keep playing every next day if you wanted to get the rewards
  7. Obliging players to go to external web sites to be able to finish the scavenger hunt as players had a very short time frame to complete it.
  8. Forcing players to be tagged PvP on non PvP servers
  9. Setting the vendor in a non neutral spot preventing some players to cash in and making others ganked
  10. Not allowing players to choose the companions kits rewards regarding the short time frame
  11. Tagging players with the plague when many low level felt it as a girefing
  12. Encouraging players to mass group in the fleet and stand afk while waiting to die
  13. Making crystal colors supposedly limited to Razer owners when there were many other color combination available
  14. Only advertising the vendor would be removed a couple of hours before the end of the event

Re-roll isn't an option for everyone. Many players't don't want to go again through the same V.O. story or simply don't have the will or time for it. They don't want to redo all the crafting leveling, datacron hunting and so on.

Yet they want to play with their friends who moved on other servers.

Either they get a way to transfer with their friends or they might more than probably move on and leave TOR>

BTW you didn't read well: I don't crash at all. I just get hit by lag spikes which wasn't the case before the "improvements"

Was the answer long enough ;)

Edited by Deewe

I agree the companion is a bit confusing. Once you reach 50 you really don't do much with your companion. Just dead weight in your ship.
We run HMs with ours and are learning how to micro them in 4-player SMs. Most insane challenge in this game imo. Edited by GalacticKegger

LNSSnorkle: We know players that don't migrate by themselves will have their chars automatically moved. The thing is, how can we know where they will end up?

Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer): Once we do automatic transfers, we will be doing everything possible in order to maintain the basics of the current ruleset as possible - PvE vs PvP, regional choice, language (for Europe); so in many cases, you should have a good idea of which populations you are likely to end up with. Another top concern is trying to help the populations that result have a good factional balance. We will give out a specific list once we are closer to implementation of this plan - watch for more info soon!

this statement seems to verify that server merges will eventually be forced or autmated

If i have 8 characters on server A and 4 on server B and 3 on C

then what will happen when A, B and C become one?

Will i have 15 character slots?

What if i only have characters on one server and the server merge happens will i still be limited to 8?