People Need Some Perspective

Jabadehutt

there are 2 comparisons people need to take into account when doing so between games.

swtor vs games presently - completely subjective, however, in my opinion no other game is "leaps and bounds" ahead of ToR. Everything is functional, endgame content is engageing, more story driven content then ANY other mmo...i could go on. The thing you have to remember is people will be compareing whatever diffrent avenue's of intrest are of their own personal intrest.

swtor release and progress vs other mmo's release and progress - few things to take into account here. WoW upon its release, did not take the percentage of the players from EQ (only major competitor of the time) and other mmo's on the market that swtor has taken from the current mmo market. WoW didnt even become popular until the first expansion "The Burning Crusade" even then, the majority of subscribers where in asia. Also, one thing i would point out is SWTOR has released more new content in 6-7 months then wow has in the past year.

I realize ive only pitted the 2 games against each other, but, to be honest i dont have the patience to include the rest of them. To be frank, noone cared about them and even fewer do now.

Sure, ill agree Swtor should have stayed in the oven another 5 months. I'm personally glad it didnt. I've enjoyed myself.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR didn't launch at the same point in time as WoW. It should not be compared to WoW's launch technoligically to which you are trying to equivivate. SWTOR needs to be compared technologically ( hence FEATURES) with WoW today as the Top Dog in the hunt. SWTOR should have had all the convenience features that WoW had AT LAUNCH. You and SWTOR cheerleaders (aka Fanboiz) give EA/BW a pass. EA/BW hyped the game for years and they underwhelmed with what they delivered.

Is the game fun to play? Sure if all you want to do is play it as a SINGLE player RPG and level Alts. SWTOR delivers on that. But as far as being a full blown MMORPG, it undewhelms.

equivivate is actually equivocate but that's beside the point. Yes I agree they should have had the tools that wow created at launch but like I said in my last post . . they had to get player data for group finder to work properly and consolidate their servers and what not they didn't want people complaining about not being able to find a group because their server is to low blah blah. And endgame not being relevant? how is it any different from wow? you have rated bg's and ops in normal hm and beyond wow . . . nightmare . . . you have 3 tier sets of gear (now4 even tho black hole has no set bonus i dont think its really a tier) however the ops . . . are more divers than wow's you actually have puzzles, tools, richer environments to fight in. PVP yes needs work but they are working on it.

equivivate is actually equivocate but that's beside the point. Yes I agree they should have had the tools that wow created at launch but like I said in my last post . . they had to get player data for group finder to work properly and consolidate their servers and what not they didn't want people complaining about not being able to find a group because their server is to low blah blah. And endgame not being relevant? how is it any different from wow? you have rated bg's and ops in normal hm and beyond wow . . . nightmare . . . you have 3 tier sets of gear (now4 even tho black hole has no set bonus i dont think its really a tier) however the ops . . . are more divers than wow's you actually have puzzles, tools, richer environments to fight in. PVP yes needs work but they are working on it.

Head your own request or I will tap dance on all of your errors:

p.s. for the grammar police, sorry if I made some mistakes and missed some commas.

Sue me I didn't proof read. I extended the same courtesy to you.

Rated should have been in at launch as well as all the other features added after launch. They KNEW their playerbase because they had OTHER competitors to analyze and the chances were high that they were going to pull from that customer base. It was FOOLISH of them not to have added all the TOP MMORPG Theme park features AND exceed them.

They didn't. This game is a disapointment as a MMORPG. It's absoultly GREAT at being a single player RPG for leveling ALTS.

Edited by Urael

SWTOR didn't launch at the same point in time as WoW. It should not be compared to WoW's launch technoligically to which you are trying to equivivate. SWTOR needs to be compared technologically ( hence FEATURES) with WoW today as the Top Dog in the hunt. SWTOR should have had all the convenience features that WoW had AT LAUNCH. You and SWTOR cheerleaders (aka Fanboiz) give EA/BW a pass. EA/BW hyped the game for years and they underwhelmed with what they delivered.

Why should it not be compared? There were games before WoW that had features WoW didn't have. Nobody said "WOW SHOULD NOT BE COMPARED TO THEM BECAUSE IT IS 2005 AND BLIZZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER". No, it was buggy and problematic and missing some things people wanted, and Blizzard slowly fixed the problems and added them.

Just because it's 2012 doesn't mean a new piece of software has to be identical to one that has been worked on for almost 8 years. Yeah, it's 2012, but yeah, this is still a new product.

1 million subs? really? why do you think are they panicking? why the restructure of the team? the last official announced subscriber count was fake as they gave every1 a free month at that time. I guess subs are down to less than 500k, that's for sure. just take a look at the amount of servers left, go count people at prime time and do some math.

Head your own request or I will tap dance all of your errors:

Rated should have been in at launch as well as all the other features added after launch. They KNEW their playerbase because they had OTHER competitors to analyze and the chances were high that they were going to pull from that customer base. It was FOOLISH of them not to have added all the TOP MMORPG Theme park features AND exceed them.

They didn't. This game is a disapointment as a MMORPG. It's absoultly GREAT at being a single player RPG for leveling ALTS.

You still haven't explained why its a disappointment as a MMORPG

As far as we know BW doesn't listen because they never respond and when they do it's to completely irrelevant questions. BW adding what should be a standard mmo feature, lfg, doesn't mean they are listening it just means they did something that obviously needed to be done.

if they didn't listen then why did they add group finder, ranked warzones, server transfers, color match armor, harder pve like Lost Island and Explosive Conflict?

all of those things where things the players asked for.

Seems to me they do listen they just dont respond directly to you

if they didn't listen then why did they add group finder, ranked warzones, server transfers, color match armor, harder pve like Lost Island and Explosive Conflict?

If I could upvote you I would

But I'm sure hes going to say it should of been in the game at launch

Someone doesn't have to tell me to breathe for me to know to breathe. It's like 'Oh hey should we add the ability to move in this game or should we just wait for people to ask for it?' Edited by DarthCDiv

Someone doesn't have to tell me to breathe for me to know to breathe. It's like 'Oh hey we should we add the ability to move in this game or should we just wait for people to ask for it?'

+10 So much win here.

That analogy sums up the argument perfectly.

/thread.

I like the game, personally. Some don't like it, and that's ok, too. Why do we need to go on and on with endless threads regarding who likes what? Look at the forums/comments for any game/product out there, and you will read complaints and good reviews. Read Goldilocks for that matter - "This porridge is too hot. This porridge is too cold. This one's just right". I'm sure she got on the forums and complained a blue streak about the inconsistent porridge and sleeping accommodations at the three bears house, and then the three bears ranted on how unforgiving Goldilocks was for not allowing them some more time to get it right.

Enjoy or unenjoy, but stop trying to convince each other to switch sides.

Server transfers shouldn't have been necessary in the first place and they were handled fairly poorly.

Color match armor is a great addition and I'll give them that but honestly if I had been looking at the game before they released that it would've seemed like an obvious addition.

Harder PvE, Ranked Warzone and Group Finder...lol seriously? Group finder? That's the sort of thing that should be standard in an MMO and the fact that most don't launch with it is just ridiculous. Spamming LFG is inefficient. Ranked Warzones is filling a gap. There's no high end PvP in this game so they had to add something.

Did they implement those things that the community asked for? Yes. But I don't clap when Honda puts an air conditioner in their car and I sure as hell aren't going to clap when BioWare adds group finder and server transfers.

WoW definitely had its issues at launch, but it was always moving forward with patches - in my humble opinion, many of the TOR patches were one step forward, two steps back.

Really no need to compare as what WoW did is moot - it really comes down to what the player population wants and feels and as much as everyone wants to say stop complaining, its the very fact that there is so much complaining that is important. I have always been a big supporter of Bioware so it saddens me to say in my 10+ years of MMO experience I have only seen this much player outcry with such titles as AoC and WAR.

Cry not true all you want, but (in answer to the post earlier in the thread which stated Bioware needed to start a new public ad campaign), the professionals have spoken - the executive producer is now gone and there are layoffs. Not exactly the kind of press Bioware wanted.

Honestly, I have enjoyed much of what Vogel (the XP) has done, but this was not one of his finest hours. At the end of the day, it just seemed there were many management decisions to rush things - the launch, patches with bugs, features not completely thought out - lots of great ideas, just the delivery suffered. Was it Vogel's fault - not for me to say, but the truth is, the almighty dollar has a way of screwing up many things, including a managers ability to make good decisions.

Good luck to everyone affected - truth is, they will all most likely end up on their feet with all this behind them and a few beers to kick back with, thinking... "In a Galaxy Far Far Away we once worked on a Star Wars MMO"...

Edited by NoxMaelstrom

Head your own request or I will tap dance on all of your errors:

No, it shouldn't've been.

How much more development time would you want them to take? They could add all of the features of other games (which added them after the fact, too for the most part), or they could've made a game that takes 3-4 years, like other games, and added them afterwards like other games did. Just because it's 2012, you can't expect a game to have all of the features of another game from 2012. The other game added those things slowly and NOT just because they were new ideas, but because they took TIME to implement. If they wanted to add every feature that people whine and complain about, that might've pushed it back another 18-24 months.

yeah I haven't had AC in any of my past 3 cars . . the windows roll down perfectly

And in 1990, when your car was new, it was optional. These days, it's standard, just like side-curtain airbags that I assume you probably don't have either.

Server transfers shouldn't have been necessary in the first place and they were handled fairly poorly.

Color match armor is a great addition and I'll give them that but honestly if I had been looking at the game before they released that it would've seemed like an obvious addition.

Harder PvE, Ranked Warzone and Group Finder...lol seriously? Group finder? That's the sort of thing that should be standard in an MMO and the fact that most don't launch with it is just ridiculous. Spamming LFG is inefficient. Ranked Warzones is filling a gap. There's no high end PvP in this game so they had to add something.

Did they implement those things that the community asked for? Yes. But I don't clap when Honda puts an air conditioner in their car and I sure as hell aren't going to clap when BioWare adds group finder and server transfers.

people forget that the wow group finder didn't come about until 3.3

people forget that the wow group finder didn't come about until 3.3

What does that have to do with anything?! Is there a mandatory waiting period on good MMO features that I'm not aware of?