Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware decides to make SWTOR free to play...

Dedline

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, remember the 21st of November

A day when The Old Republic seems to blunder...

Remember, remember the game as it was

for it is about to be a scrub, free for the cause...

What is this cause you shall ever so ask?

Tis the cause of moaning and nothing less

Remember, remember the 21st of November...

A day renowned by the great coming of winter

Will be a day long time coming for the fools who surrender

Who is surrendering you ask?

They are the former workers at Bioware...how many shall ever last

The day when the dogmatic machine of EA makes us free

The day when the trolls shall have their moment of glee

Remember.....remember....the 21st...of November....

I thank you and goodnight!

:p

Those of us who about to unsubscribe, salute you!

Source, yes. Reliable? Like hell. Some of that 'insider' stuff's English comes across as the kind of stuff you find in a dodgy phishing attempt to hack your account. "but buying the unlock, it will cost 10$ US" There's some great Google translate right there.

That's not to say that it isn't impossible that F2P is happening; but cm'on. How convenient is it that some 'annoymous' (on the Internet, no less) can call themselves a Bioware Insider and post a poorly worded article that just about confirms all the fears of the community?

Man, it's like anyone could do that.

That's not to say that it isn't impossible that F2P is happening; but cm'on. How convenient is it that some 'annoymous' (on the Internet, no less) can call themselves a Bioware Insider and post a poorly worded article that just about confirms all the fears of the community?

Their "source" is a comment from another site's article. Because just reporting on somebody else's report wasn't quite pathetic enough for gaming "journalism" anymore.

Edited by Liokae

It does not surprise me that Swtor is going free to play by November 21st. They have stopped caring about their subscribers and continue to lose them with consistant server downtime, no cross server pvp, they won't even release their current number of subscribers because its dropped so low. Don't get me wrong, I do love this game, when its actually online to be able to enjoy it...

Where is the link/proof?

Either way don't care I will still play. So many doomsayers these days, if you don't like easy stop playing...

Maybe the Blizz CEO wasn't being resentful when he scoffed at SWTOR's projected impact, and said EA would never make money off the game.

I thought it was funny that Blizzard was shaking in it's boots when TOR was released. It obviously didn't have the impact that their doomsayers predicted but they still have their eye on it's progress. So they don't see it as a threat at the present time, but could potentially if Bioware plays it's cards right in patches/ expansions.

So in other words, yet another pointless doom/naysayer thread by some random nobody who's just mad about feeling "cheated" out of money despite anyone who's been playing MMO's at all should know that new MMO's tend to be somewhat lacking when first released, particularly in a market this overinflated.

Nothing more to see here folks.

PS: Hey OP, no ones forcing you to stay subscribed, please by all means quit and see if anyone misses you at all.

So in other words, yet another pointless doom/naysayer thread by some random nobody who's just mad about feeling "cheated" out of money despite anyone who's been playing MMO's at all should know that new MMO's tend to be somewhat lacking when first released, particularly in a market this overinflated.

Nothing more to see here folks.

PS: Hey OP, no ones forcing you to stay subscribed, please by all means quit and see if anyone misses you at all.

2 months ago people were really missing the 500 thousand people who took your advice. Do you really want to keep going down that road until there are 300 people left? I dont agree with the OP's rants in various threads, but everything we are seeing across the forums and in-game general chats is a result of a complete and utter lack of a community team, worthless Q and A, lack of substantial updates with repeatable non-grinding content. Constructive criticism you say? Guild ships you earn by leveling up a guild and gathering resources and high level crafters, mini-games like Sabaac, Pazaak and swoop racing with customizable swoops and pazaak decks, a true Open World PVP experience with benefits for victory and defense, like a form of castle conquering/defending gameplay that doesnt lag like Launch ilum, and more social activities.

Those items should be a PRIORITY for bioware because they offer repeatable content that is genuinly replayable and can hold over people for longer periods and even form the basis for communities that keep people in this game for YEARS. Continuing the treadmill of raids and "story content" is a path for failure, and should only be done AFTER and in ADDITION to the repeatable and social content. Customer service is also severely lacking in this game.

Until bioware gets its act together, COMMUNICATES with its players and releases some better repeatable content in order to retain players, it is going to continue rapidly bleeding subs.

:/

iv`e already figured this...there are only two possibilitys and no others

1.this is not true and thus boring,more trolls....where is my energy drink?

2.this actually is true (though i doubt the date a little).....abunch of anti f2p people will unsub....it will be cold for awhile....then it will rubberband back with the force of a hydrogen bomb....and the ones who stick to the game even when they implement f2p...will basically be kings of a pretty messed up world....then the rebuilding starts...7 years on down the road,ill be 30 years old by that point (few months from 23 atm)...so ill be a mildly old person telling people enjoying the lavish features how messed up it was in the early days

I thought it was funny that Blizzard was shaking in it's boots when TOR was released. It obviously didn't have the impact that their doomsayers predicted but they still have their eye on it's progress. So they don't see it as a threat at the present time, but could potentially if Bioware plays it's cards right in patches/ expansions.

You really think with Bioware's current history of patches and updates they will ever get their act right. The game should be stable by now, and it is having heaps of network issues. Content is very light, especially once you reach level 50.....so I am not counting on them getting it right.

The truth will come out next week as on July 31st will be EA's investor call. Everyone left playing will find out (hopefully) what IS going on. Either way, it's a joke that a company like EA yet again leave their player base in limbo. Typical.

I suggest to those left working, start looking for another place to work, somewhere they look after you.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

The truth will come out today. July 26th is EA's investor call. Everyone left playing will find out (hopefully) what IS going on. Either way, it's a joke that a company like EA yet again leave their player base in limbo. Typical.

I suggest to those left working, start looking for another place to work, somewhere they look after you.

Stockowners meeting is 26 th, the earnings conference call (4 times a year) is 31th. I am not sure which one should show the plans for future, possibly both? Anyway last time (may) it was the earnings call when they gave the player amounts.

The truth will come out today. July 26th is EA's investor call. Everyone left playing will find out (hopefully) what IS going on. Either way, it's a joke that a company like EA yet again leave their player base in limbo. Typical.

EA is the reason why I almost stopped buying Bioware games at all. as for the layoffs, EA has always had mass layoffs after a game , especially big name big dollar ones, in order to try and maximize they profits. this doesn't work in an MMO format as we as paying subscribers expect and deserve a continued feeding of new content. EA needs to smarten up. I hate to use it but WoW didn't get to the size it was by slashing staff. they added. brought in new ideas and even hired the artists who submitted some of the best fan art to work in their design dept. EA really needs to take a look at Blizzards business practices and see how to keep subscribers subscribed and add new customers. I love this game and I think it has made decent progress thus far but cutting jobs and going F2P is going to hurt that progress big time.

Population is still dropping. The company is going to have to change their plans if they want to continue to make money. I know we have a lot of people who won't believe it until Bioware comes right out and makes an announcement but lets be honest here, the way things are heading is to free to play. Swtor was supposed to be the next big mmo and they have utterly failed at that. They can still condense it down and make it a decent game but it's not going to be like everyone thought it would be. Edited by LordSkyKnight

2 months ago people were really missing the 500 thousand people who took your advice. Do you really want to keep going down that road until there are 300 people left? I dont agree with the OP's rants in various threads, but everything we are seeing across the forums and in-game general chats is a result of a complete and utter lack of a community team, worthless Q and A, lack of substantial updates with repeatable non-grinding content. Constructive criticism you say? Guild ships you earn by leveling up a guild and gathering resources and high level crafters, mini-games like Sabaac, Pazaak and swoop racing with customizable swoops and pazaak decks, a true Open World PVP experience with benefits for victory and defense, like a form of castle conquering/defending gameplay that doesnt lag like Launch ilum, and more social activities.

Those items should be a PRIORITY for bioware because they offer repeatable content that is genuinly replayable and can hold over people for longer periods and even form the basis for communities that keep people in this game for YEARS. Continuing the treadmill of raids and "story content" is a path for failure, and should only be done AFTER and in ADDITION to the repeatable and social content. Customer service is also severely lacking in this game.

Until bioware gets its act together, COMMUNICATES with its players and releases some better repeatable content in order to retain players, it is going to continue rapidly bleeding subs.

Very true. Nothing worse for letting these type of rumors continue than for BioWare to do nothing to refute them. Just a simple post on what thier furture plans are in requards to FTP rumors and it would atleast let the player base feel more at ease. Never seen a MMO company with such horrible communication skills with it's player base.

Very true. Nothing worse for letting these type of rumors continue than for BioWare to do nothing to refute them. Just a simple post on what thier furture plans are in requards to FTP rumors and it would atleast let the player base feel more at ease. Never seen a MMO company with such horrible communication skills with it's player base.

This! Why the hell can't you come out and just bloody say what the plan is. geez! makes it look like your going to go the usual EA way of milking it out, with your silence on the issue. Bioware really needs to preserve their integrity by standing up to EA. but I guess most of those that did have been laid off.

Why is it if you talk about anything about gameplay it will be consolidated in to a thread with 200 pages but they can make 10+ F2P the game is ending the sky is falling posts a day and no one does a thing about them?