2859 RWZ Rated Juggernaut PvP Movie

selimonengut

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just blows my mind how universally terrible the majority of SWTOR players are. This is a game where it is WIDELY accepted to Backpedal. No other MMO has as many players that defend s keying.

Hell, the guy who CREATED the video's guildmate commented on how terrible the video really was, and how he wished he would stop backpedaling, and yet people in here are STILL defending it. LKSDFKLJ:SDJKFS:DKLF

You will never be considered good by any means if you choose to backpedal over strafe. In fact it makes watching PvP videos unbearable for any GOOD player.

You aren't a good player if you don't use it in certain situations. A good player uses everything at his disposal, including this. Sure, 99% of the time it is useless I agree, but I will use it in an extremely situational place if it is viable. There are times when you do not want to give your back to an opponent, for one. If you have a ledge on one side, and opponent on the other; or in a narrow place, it can be tactically useful. Tanks in many games keep people in front of them for their shielding, and strafe+walking backwards again, can be used tactically. Yes, in general use and constant use, it is the sign of a bad player; but it can be situational. Writing someone off because of specific instances where it was completely viable is dumb. You can easily see the difference between a good player and a bad player that use them, do not be so blindly foolish like the rest of the masses.

That still doesn't make any sense, you cover the .2 meter in almost twice the time you also start moving immediately versus having your middle finger travel from forwards to backwards. It just isn't.

Ahh you keep delaying my lunch Q_Q

A / D moves left right. we want to move back to cover 0.2m for Charge. Thus 2 options:

S moves backward = Charge

A / D + mouse turn reposition camera angle moves backward = Charge

0.2 m backwards = using strafe and to get back to your original camera angle requires more actions per second than a simple tap to BP

QOL preference.

Greetings everyone,

I actually feel so proud of myself that my post went outside of being about the movie and became something about game mechanics, it even passed the level of SWTOR and it is currently at somewhere else; we have a good group discussion going on. Thanks a lot for constructive/destructive criticisms. As I have pointed out earlier, I appreciate them.

I would like to tell once again, backpedal key can be used for strategic play, such as having an accurate force push or switching your targets (tab system works differently than wow). As some forum posters pointed out, I don't always backpedal, I use strafe, and I'm happy having them both.

Lately there was some crazy math formula going on calculating etc. I appreciate that and thank for the effort provided. About the positioning of middle finger pinky finger and how fast it is traveling on the keyboard etc. Please keep in mind that even if you are Flash Gordon you are also restricted by a factor called "Latency". Some calculations or estimations might become useless at that point :)

About Dmasterr, well I just wouldn't like to speak about it here and some smart forum posters have already pointed out this not to place to talk about it since we are from the same guild, I have to admit, I laughed when I saw his comment here :)

There is a specific person who is trying to get some views or hits just by posting his link here. Cmon dude, show some respect :)

THANKS a lot for keeping a tremendous discussion going on, feel free to ask anything, I'll gladly help.

As I said, flaming is free, but supporting is ofc more appreciated. I honestly thank to all of those who are showing their support. You made me happy.

Cheers.

Edited by selimonengut

Speed is not the only thing that matters in this game. Precision matters a lot too when you consider there are 5 very closely separted ranges that matters: 4 (melee), 5 (smash), 8 (big pbae), 9 (about furthest you can be to not get charged into) and 10+ (charge).

If your goal is to get from point A to point B in the shortest time possible of course it'd be fastest to simply run that way and then turn around immediately even over strafing (running forward is faster than strafing). But a lot of the time you're trying to get exactly one more meter of space and hitting your 'walk backward' key once is a lot more reliable than strafing at some angle for 0.65 seconds and then stop and turn back because nobody is that precise.

i enjoy S-keying while holding a beer with my right hand, and spamming flame burst on my OP pyro, face rolling sorcs into the ground.

that's how PT pyro works, i'm told. :p

Doing it right.

Thats why we love Pyro.

you can hold a beer in your left hand and move/push 3 mouse buttons with your right and be at 99% effective damage.

Doing it right.

Thats why we love Pyro.

you can hold a beer in your left hand and move/push 3 mouse buttons with your right and be at 99% effective damage.

Drinking beer with your left hand; that's an exploit or an OP tactic for sure.

That still doesn't make any sense, you cover the .2 meter in almost twice the time you also start moving immediately versus having your middle finger travel from forwards to backwards. It just isn't.

"moving immediately" = we dont want to just move immediately, we want to "move immediately towards the back to get in minimum charge range of the target in front of us.

1) ----(you) - - - - - > (target) = no charge

2) ----(you)

-------------- - - - - - > (target) = A / D = still no charge

3a)-(you) - - - - - -> (target) = A / D + simultaneous mouse turn for forward facing camera angle = CHARGE

3b)-(you) - - - - - -> (target) = S = CHARGE

not to mention one simply needs to move 0.2m or the distance taken by one fast light hit of the BP key for the Charge ability to lighten up.

3b) has the advantage of QOL and could also simply merely be a QOL preference for the OP. This thread has gone on a roller coaster ride because a small number from the community (myself and the nickelback g uy) decided to defend the OP from the flamers who would flamingly impose their own preference unto other people's beliefs. (oops i segway'd into religion lol)

"Moving immediately for any other purpose other than the Goal above which is to move 0.2m / 0.1m / 0.01m BACKWARDS to get the Charge to lighten up... = then yes strafe / W is the way to go.

In my humble opinion:

o - - - - -> x ====== Charge

o - - - --> x ====== BP + Charge (one tap of BP required to get in range of Charge)

o - - ---> x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o - ----> x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o -----> x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o ---> x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o --> x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o ->x ====== Strafe + mouse turn + Charge

o-x ====== marauder u ded

okayyy letting it rest now. almost half hour till off work! raid time!

Edited by paowee

His own teammate is DMASTARR, the Anti-Christ of Backpedaling who wages crusades on a daily bases through the PvP forum declaring his superiority over all the evil beings who backpedal. Nuff said.

This is an epic quote which deserves to be immortalized. Any takers?

This ridiculous argument is still going on?

I've been playing fps games for 15 years, using WASD for movement. It's second nature to me and I'm not gonna unbind it just because I can achieve the same result a fraction of a second faster by strafing in a situation where it really doesn't make a single bit of difference.

Keyboard turning is bad. It severely limits your ability to play effectively.

Clicking is bad, it severely limits your ability to play effectively.

Backpedaling once in a blue moon when speed is not a concern is MEANINGLESS and has no relevance to a player's skill level.

Let me reiterate, I realize strafing does the same thing and does it faster, but in any situation where I do choose to backpedal, it makes ZERO difference at all in regards to the outcome, because if the situation had called for strafing, then I would have *********** strafed. Now for the love of god ****.

This ridiculous argument is still going on?

I've been playing fps games for 15 years, using WASD for movement. It's second nature to me and I'm not gonna unbind it just because I can achieve the same result a fraction of a second faster by strafing in a situation where it really doesn't make a single bit of difference.

Keyboard turning is bad. It severely limits your ability to play effectively.

Clicking is bad, it severely limits your ability to play effectively.

Backpedaling once in a blue moon when speed is not a concern is MEANINGLESS and has no relevance to a player's skill level.

Let me reiterate, I realize strafing does the same thing and does it faster, but in any situation where I do choose to backpedal, it makes ZERO difference at all in regards to the outcome, because if the situation had called for strafing, then I would have *********** strafed. Now for the love of god ****.

You keep telling yourself that. This isn't Counter-Strike, this is an MMO, and backpedaling limits you, period. There is nothing you can achieve by limiting your movement speed via backpedaling that you couldn't achieve strafing, which doesn't limit your movement at all.

There is no situation where backpedaling is more efficient than Strafing. None. It is slower. "He only had to backup 3 steps", well he could have backed up faster if he strafed instead of pressing the "S" key.

There was also nothing truly impressive about this video, most good players who don't click/backpedal/keyboard turn do more amazing things in their average game than he showcases in the entire video.

Backpedaling will NEVER be as efficient as strafing as long as you move nearly 40% slower than if you were to strafe.

EDIT: It's obvious the only people defending backpedaling are the ones who do. It is and will always be wrong, no matter how you attempt to justify it.

Oh yeah, you save a lot of time when TOR's camera starts having a seizure, when the whole time, you were just waiting to catch a guy running across a fire trap anyways. lol.

99% of the time, the dude was strafing, whenever it was most appropriate. In a few isolated incidents, where situational awareness mattered more, he took his time to aim a leap or shove perfectly.

Those who are seizing on the backpedaling thing in this thread are mostly mediocore PvPers, and 'backpedaling' is like the one thing they can harp on, cause they know jack-all about true situational awareness and positioning.

Edited by clearsighted

You keep telling yourself that. This isn't Counter-Strike, this is an MMO, and backpedaling limits you, period. There is nothing you can achieve by limiting your movement speed via backpedaling that you couldn't achieve strafing, which doesn't limit your movement at all.

Spoken like a true forum warrior who has never had to time a leap or intercede just right, while wrestling with TOR's stupid camera and tab-targeting. lol.

Forget backpedalling! What amused me - are there REALLY so many recruit geared noobs in rateds, or the op just picked out the biggest hits on them to look cooler?

If there are REALLY so many recruit geared noobs in rateds, imma be farming them like crazy starting today!

Spoken like a true forum warrior who has never had to time a leap or intercede just right, while wrestling with TOR's stupid camera and tab-targeting. lol.

Not only is your statement untrue, it also makes you look like a jack a s s. I've had to time numerous leaps and Guardian Leaps, it's just that I don't suck hard enough to have trouble doing those things WHILE maximizing my movement speed in all situations.

Edited by cs_Kimmo

Learn to read.

There are situations where it DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE whether you backpedal or strafe.

Pressing S for half a second is a lot more comfortable to me than holding RMB + turn quarter circle + D + hold LMB + turn camera quarter circle.

Why would I make the extra effort to back up 2 steps when the situation doesn't warrant it? Just so I can feel awesome about myself for being a non-backpedaler like you?

Learn to read.

There are situations...

Name one.

If you're already at 10+ meters from the enemy, ready to leap, then no movement is required, instead of pressing the S-key for 0.5 seconds, you can just give yourself a quick w a n k while waiting for the GCD. If you are at less than 10 meters from the enemy and the situation requires a leap, then you're limiting yourself by maximizing the time it takes for your character to run into suitable range.

The first step of defeating a problem is admitting it. You're limiting yourself, period. If strafing and rotating the camera is too much for you to handle in addition to spamming your rotation and being aware about the flow of the match, then I have no clue why you're playing ranked PvP in the first place.

Edited by cs_Kimmo

Whats more pathetic?

That a dude backpedaled in his PVP video for a few seconds

OR

That numerous people are willing to spend over a dozen forum pages arguing about the pros and cons of backpedaling and its merits in pvp.

People will argue over anything on the internet.