"because your bad"- it's not an argument

FodderofCannon

Also it's spelled : hypocrisy

Pretty substantial difference between making a typo and error of a single letter while thinking of something else and not knowing the difference your and you're.

Also a pretty substanial difference between you and i given that you are calling people uneducated and then showing yourself to be. Whereas i have not done the same.

Edited by Gidoru

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spelling and grammar are things someone who is educated and has gone to college should quite adept at. Particularly given that the difference between your and you're is something you should have learned before high school.

Please continue thinking yourself brilliant because you have taken possible 1 or 2 Philosphy courses. Judging by the fact you cannot spell, it must not have been a very good college.

How am I somehow thinking myself brilliant because I know about arugment ad hom??? Did I say this?? Like ever?? lol. Dude, just relax.

I am not brilliant, but I do know about a BASIC fallacy. Why isn't it that you don't agree with me?

I don't get it.

Edited by FodderofCannon

Pretty substantial difference between making a typo and error of a single letter while thinking of something else and not knowing the difference your and you're.

Also a pretty substanial difference between you and i given that you are calling people uneducated and then showing yourself to be. Whereas i have not done the same.

Who have I called uneducated?

People in general?? lol. Fair much?

Even if I fail at one argument (who hasn't failed in one argument?) which I did not here, would not mean I fail at argumentation in general. This is equivalent to saying if someone makes a mistake they always make mistakes. This would be another fallacy called: slippery slope fallacy.

See no Latin.

I always thought the slippery slope fallacy was that "if you allow X then this will lead to Y" in situations where X does not lead to Y.

Specifically when X is something unimportant or acceptable and Y is something much more important and less acceptable.

I do however accept your OP as replying with L2P is lazy. The reply should of course be pointing out the abilities available to avoid getting roflstomped.

Edited by mortatoe

No this far worse, you called me out for hypocrisy for not spelling something in quotes right, and then you mis-spelled hypocrisy.

That is pretty funny man. Take it easy, this is not personal.

Who have I called uneducated?

People in general?? lol. Fair much?

I understand a lot of you kids have never gone to college or studied any form of logical thinking, so maybe you think this is actually a reasonble argument.

This statement comes off as veiled insult suggesting that others are less educated or intelligent than you are(those using because you're bad as an argument). It is also comes off as quite arrogant, in that you are clearly suggesting, and quite unnecessary so, that you have gone to college as a boastful remark.

Edited by Gidoru

"because your bad"- it's not an argument

Correct because to be a proper argument it has to make grammatical sense, and therefore the argument would be "Because you're bad" (notice "you're" meaning you are, not "your" the possessive case of you)

And in rebuttal to the proper argument yes you're bad is a proper argument and is the solution to many of the QQing that can be found in the PVP forums, including the gem of a post i have seen this week about the Gunslinger who tried to solo 2 Pyrotechs alone and got bursted down in a matter of seconds

Put simply if you use your brain in most situations you will find yourself doing a lot better (i.e. no trying to solo cap nodes vs 3 enemies, no complaining that you're a Sage who can't take out a Marauder in a 1 vs 1 fight etc)

Think logically

I always thought the slippery slope fallacy was that "if you allow X then this will lead to Y" in situations where X does not lead to Y.

Specifically when X is something unimportant or acceptable and Y is something much more important and less acceptable.

Well if you make a mistake, it would lead to always making a mistake. Or in this case failing at one argument leads to failing at all arguments. A error in argument would be unimportant, and always failing arugments would be much more imporant. Seems to fit the way I see it.

Edited by FodderofCannon

No this far worse, you called me out for hypocrisy for not spelling something in quotes right, and then you mis-spelled hypocrisy.

That is pretty funny man. Take it easy, this is not personal.

And the relevance of it being in 'quotes' would be? You wrote it did you not? No one directly spoke it or wrote it for you to quote. Therefore it is clearly your error.

Once again, you are suggesting others are stupid while failing at spelling and grammar, i did not.

Edited by Gidoru

And the relevance of it being in 'quotes' would be? You wrote it did you not? No one directly spoke it or wrote it for you to quote. Therefore it is clearly your error.

Once again, you are suggesting others are stupid while failing at spelling and grammar, i did not.

Come on dude, you lost this one. I never called ONE person stupid. Your just not being fair.

Come on dude, you lost this one. I never called ONE person stupid. Your just not being fair.

Since you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension in additon to spelling and grammar i will post it for you again.

I understand a lot of you kids have never gone to college or studied any form of logical thinking, so maybe you think this is actually a reasonble argument. I mean the motivation for someone posting is imporatant right?

This is clearly meant as an arrogant and boastful remark suggesting that those using "because you're bad" as an argument are uneducated and have not gone to college.

Edited by Gidoru

This statement comes off as veiled insult suggesting that others are less educated or intelligent than you are(those using because you're bad as an argument). It is also comes off as quite arrogant, in that you are clearly suggesting, and quite unnecessary so, that you have gone to college as a boastful remark.

How it comes off, and what was ACTUALLY said are two very different things. The reality is people that haven't gone to college, and people that can't by virtue of them being too young, don't often know about the rules of logic. Do you deny this? Is this false?

Usually "Because your bad" means: "it is obvious that a thorough explanation would require a lot of time explaining fundamentals and I either don't understand them well enough myself to articulate them properly or don't want to or don't think it would help you if I did. Also, I can not properly use a contraction and am not 100% sure what that word means, and I enjoy being mean to people."

I can't explain why someone in that situation would bother saying anything at all, unless they simply enjoy being mean to people. I usually just think it.

Edited by Roycerson

How it comes off, and what was ACTUALLY said are two very different things. The reality is people that haven't gone to college, and people that can't by virtue of them being too young, don't often know about the rules of logic. Do you deny this? Is this false?

The reality is you do not need to go college in order to learn about logic or argument.

Furthermore, it is completely unnecessary to have posted the quoted sentence. The fact that you went out of your way to do so suggests arrogant intent. It is also phrased in a potentially insulting manner. As i have clearly said multiple times, it suggests people using the argument are uneducated and have not gone to college. If they have, then clearly you are suggesting they are stupid, because only those that have gone to college and are as smart as you should know the rules of logic right?

Once again, keep thinking you're a genius because you posted something any random person could find on the internet with a 5 second google search.

Edited by Gidoru

Since you seem to have trouble with reading comprehension in additon to spelling and grammar i will post it for you again.

Again personal attack. Your just mad cause I caught you red-handed.

This is clearly meant as an arrogant and boastful remark suggesting that those using "because you're bad" as an argument are uneducated and have not gone to college.

No, to you it's arrogant and boastful. I read nothing of the sort there. Just facts as I see it.

Once again, keep thinking you're a genius because you posted something any random person could find on the internet with a 5 second google search.

Show me where I have stated that I am a genius because I know about one basic fallacy??

Again personal attack. Your just mad cause I caught you red-handed.

When the shoe fits. Also you're not your. Once again you demonstrate it was clearly not a typo or an error but rather a lack of knowledge on your part.

No, to you it's arrogant and boastful. I read nothing of the sort there. Just facts as I see it.

There are many facts, but we do not go around listing them all especially when they are unnecessary. What does college or going to college have to do with knowing the rules of logic? A simple internet search can tell you all that you need to know. If you are trying to inform others about a logic fallacy, then i fail to see how college is relevant, other than in what is clearly an arrogant remark and slight at those who are using the 'because you're bad' argument.

Show me where I have stated that I am a genius because I know about one basic fallacy??

You dont not have to explicity state that you think of yourself as a genius when your writing is riddled with a pompous and arrogant tone.

Edited by Gidoru

Well if you make a mistake, it would lead to always making a mistake. Or in this case failing at one argument leads to failing at all arguments. A error in argument would be unimportant, and always failing arugments would be much more imporant. Seems to fit the way I see it.

Would that not be more properly described as ad-hominem?

My understanding of slippery slope revolves around the "thin edge of the wedge". The Y can not be in the same league as the X. X is minor, Y is major (and doesn't actually follow). Such as "He made a grammatical error, next he will use unsound logic in his arguments."

Although there may be a loose association between X and Y there must be a degree of difference before it falls into the slippery slope fallacy.

When the shoe fits.

Little bruised ego?? ;)

There are many facts, but we do not go around listing them all especially when they are unnecessary. What does college or going to college have to do with knowing the rules of logic?

Um people aren't exposed to them unless they are forced too. Right?

A simple internet search can tell you all that you need to know. If you are trying to inform others about a logic fallacy, then i fail to see how college is relevant, other than in what is clearly an arrogant remark and slight at those who are using the 'because you're bad' argument.

How many people look up something on the internet that they don't know about? lol.

You dont not have to explicity state that you think of yourself as a genius when your writing is riddled with a pompous and arrogant tone.

This is totally subjective. This is text on a forum, your reading into it what tone you want. Your "tone" was that you could discount my argument because I made a supposed grammar error, then you made them yourself. If I was making a critique on peoples ability to spell or do grammar that would be different, but I a was talking about logic. Some of the most brilliant professors I know can't spell or do grammar to save their life.

Also the quoted grammar error might just have been intentional, to highlight the certain "vibe" of those who make such arguments. Or maybe I just made a mistake. Either way it has nothing to do with the OP.

Edited by FodderofCannon

Would that not be more properly described as ad-hominem?

My understanding of slippery slope revolves around the "thin edge of the wedge". The Y can not be in the same league as the X. X is minor, Y is major (and doesn't actually follow). Such as "He made a grammatical error, next he will use unsound logic in his arguments."

Although there may be a loose association between X and Y there must be a degree of difference before it falls into the slippery slope fallacy.

Well if your definition of the fallacy is correct I could see how you could make that minor distinction here. But I think it would still fall under the "spirit' of the fallacy. Also according to this definition I think it still applies:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html

Um people aren't exposed to them unless they are force too. Right?

How is the fact that those who take Philosophy courses in college are likely to know about the rules of logic relevant to knowing about the rules of logic?

As i have already stated, one does not need to go to college in order to know or learn about the rules of logic. Therefore the fact that one might learn this by going to college is hardly relevant to this dicussion when your intent as you have stated, was only to inform people on this forum of their error.

How many people look up something on the internet that they don't know about? lol.

You are clearly ignoring significant portions of my reasoning without cause. What does going to college have to do with looking up something on the internet? Surely you could provide a link without mentioning that you learned about this in college or that those who have not gone to college are unlikely to know about the rules of logic.

This is totally subjective. This is text on a forum, your reading into it what tone you want. Your "tone" was that you could discount my argument because I made a supposed grammar error, then you made them yourself. If I was making a critique on peoples ability to spell or do grammar that would be different, but I a was talking about logic. Some of the most brilliant professors I know can't spell or do grammar to save their life.

Also the quoted grammar error might just have been intentional, to highlight the certain "vibe" of those who make such arguments. Or maybe I just made a mistake. Either way it has nothing to do with the OP.

This is the third time that i have noticed you using your instead of you're. Funny how even when i point it out you do not understand the difference.

Even funnier is the fact that you now fail to grasp the rules of argument and logic you proclaim to know so much about. I have not discounted your argument on the basis of you making a spelling or grammatical error. My issue is clearly with the one sentence i have repeatedly referenced that as i mentioned is quite hypocritical.

This sentence as i have already pointed out is not part of your argument. It is an unneccesary addition that is both arrogant and insulting.

Unless you argument is that only those with a college education know the rules of logic i have discounted nothing. Not once in what i have written have i challenged the assertion that 'because you're bad' is not an argument. Rather i am challenging your credibility as one who is clearly suggesting that they possess greater intelligence than others on this forum.

Surely one was brilliant as yourself should know the difference.

Edited by Gidoru

When the shoe fits. Also you're not your. Once again you demonstrate it was clearly not a typo or an error but rather a lack of knowledge on your part..

I admit to making the your/ you're mistake quite often. Sometimes I spot it sometimes I don't. Happy?

The point remains: we all make spelling/grammer mistakes, this has nothing to do with the OP, or with any persons argument in general. Your using the same fallacy that I pointed out, to discredit the truth of the fallacy. I dint make this fallacy up. It's not MINE.

You seem to take exception that people with education are more likely to know about logic. Although there are many people without college education that know about logic, wouldn't you agree that most don't?

How is the fact that those who take Philosophy courses in college are likely to know about the rules of logic relevant to knowing about the rules of logic?

You're just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Would you say it is more or less likely to know about logic if you do not go to college?

As i have already stated, one does not need to go to college in order to know or learn about the rules of logic. Therefore the fact that one might learn this by going to college is hardly relevant to this dicussion when your intent as you have stated, was only to inform people on this forum of their error.

Is more or less likely to know about logic if you do not go to college?

This is the third time that i have noticed you using your instead of you're. Funny how even when i point it out you do not understand the difference.

Off topic. How is this related to the fallacy? Even if you are right, and I am a moron, it is still not relevant to the topic.

Also it's an example of the fallacy. Now that's irony.

Even funnier is the fact that you now fail to grasp the rules of argument and logic you proclaim to know so much about.

How so? Since I have only pointed out ONE fallacy in the OP this remark is utterly disingenuous.

I have not discounted your argument on the basis of you making a spelling or grammatical error. My issue is clearly with the one sentence i have repeatedly referenced that as i mentioned is quite hypocritical.

It's not hypocritical because I was talking exposure to the rules of logic. How is this so hard to grasp? Also remember when you misspelled hypocrisy? LOL ;)

As Jesus would say "he who is without out sin, let him cast the first stone"

Surely one was brilliant as yourself should know the difference.

You keep saying this. I don't get it. Oh wait sarcastic ad hom....tricky guy. :rolleyes:

Edited by FodderofCannon

Since when have forum discussions actually mattered whether someone had a legitimate argument or not? Last I checked, nobody cared if someone "fails" at a forum argument, because most of the forum content isn't comprised of intelligent thought in the first place.

Logic rarely has any place on a gaming forum, especially when the forum is in regards to player-based PvP issues.

Edited by olagaton