Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is TOR on an upward trend?

Sarfux

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like Activision/Blizzard? Vivendi has been trying to sell it and no one will bite even though the price includes the most successful MMO of all time.

Don't want to derail the thread talking about other games but Blizzard really blew it, and most (if not all by now) of the developers over there who actually cared about their integrity are long gone.

Don't want to derail the thread talking about other games but Blizzard really blew it, and most (if not all by now) of the developers over there who actually cared about their integrity are long gone.

Point is why would Vivendi be looking too off-load it if the game is so successful? This crappy economy is hitting everyone.

Point is why would Vivendi be looking too off-load it if the game is so successful? This crappy economy is hitting everyone.

Did it ever come to your mind that maybe Vivendi did come to some troublesome situation which is totally unrelated with Blizzard and WoW but with Vivendi itself and some project of Vivendi alone and that they are trying to cover it by selling their part of Blizzard.

Edited by Lunablade

Is TOR on an upward trend?

Not at all. They still have a lot of work ahead of themselves to turn this ship around.

You look at other games and they don't have as many features as TOR. Companions, Crew, Crew Skills, Quick Travel, Space mini game

Other games do have mini games, other games do have quick travel (hearthstones, portals, etc.) other games do have crew skills (aka professions) and other games do have companions (companions aren't much more than pets).

Sorry, but nothing you listed there is really unique to this game.

This game will continue to gain steam and get very nice updates and additions. It is a very fun, exciting, great game. Overall I think most people like it.

The steam has been wearing off, updates are coming more and more slowly each time, and there is seemingly less content added each time as well. I don't see how you've come to the conclusion that this game is "gaining steam" when all indications would point the opposite direction. They just went through a second round of lay-offs, the exec producer quit, and you'd be hard pressed to find a completely positive article that wasn't blatantly biased or simply blindly foolish in regards to this game.

There is no indication that this game is gaining steam, it's being butchered in the press, it's being butchered on the forums, and it's being butchered in game as well. Even the people actively playing the game are typically ************ about something in general chat.

In short, I don't agree with you, most of your points are either clearly wrong or simply misinformed opinion.

It's not though. Indie developers are doing great right now. Passionate developers who don't outsource every component of their development, cut corners at every turn, and make barely functional reskinned WoW knockoffs are doing great.

Edited by Taurusaud

It's not though. Indie developers are doing great right now. Passionate developers who don't outsource every component of their development and cut corners at every turn are doing great.

Thats great but Bioware isn't one of those.

Thats great but Bioware isn't one of those.

Who are you kidding? Look at how much Bioware bragged about all their outsourcing post-release. (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/#/0)

As if you couldn't see it in the final product. Everything is so disjointed and so many corners were cut to save costs. All races use the same body model, because they were too cheap to make unique races. 95% of the mobs are unscripted and just sit there waiting for you to come mow them down. I could go on but it's so obvious just looking at how static the gameworld is.

Who are you kidding? Look at how much Bioware bragged about all their outsourcing post-release. (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/#/0)

As if you couldn't see it in the final product. Everything is so disjointed and so many corners were cut to save costs. All races use the same body model, because they were too cheap to make unique races. 95% of the mobs are unscripted and just sit there waiting for you to come mow them down. I could go on but it's so obvious just looking at how static the gameworld is.

Bioware is not an indie developer. They are owned by EA. Thats what I meant.

just wait until the raise of the lvl cap,the adding of makeb and hk 51,and so on...also the advertising to match...

the increase will be phenomenal

The question is how long will take for Bioware now to develop any new content and make new updates when EA continues to fire their staff and how the things are looking right now I wouldnt be surprised if this game goes into maintenance mode and on the game keeps working only skeleton crew, you know the thing which happend with most MMOS under EA belt because EA is so famous with the way how they support their MMOS after the release.

Besides havent EA suit already stated how this game is less important for them in terms of priority than Madden and SimCity :eek:

Oh yeah he did....... http://tor-talk.com/storm-preparation/ :(

Edited by Lunablade

yeah coz ppl weren't saying the same thing about tera and D3. and look pop seems to be increasing

Yeah well those games ended up sucking. TERA had good combat and bams, but other than that it was crap imo. I played the demo/beta and knew I that I would not be purchasing it Diablo 3 is not an mmo but I think that game also turned out rather poorly due to poor game design choices and they seem to be just screwing the game up even more with every update. GW2 looks promising and a lot more than these two games mentioned - they put a lot of innovative things in the game. Many people want something new and fresh and GW2 is offering that. I love this game and I think its good by itself - but it does strictly adhere to the traditional mmo game play and offers nothing new aside from the excellent story and cutscenes that every other Bioware game usually has.

@Sarfux,

While I hope SWTOR is on the uptick, it's a bit to soon to tell.

Some of what you are witnessing could be due to the server mergers and the "invite a friend" promotion. We still need to see EA/BW 2nd Quarter investor report to get any real sense if SWTOR is springing back to life.

SWTOR did reach WoW's level of numbers when you look at WoWs first year for the NA and EU servers, it took WoW 6 months to reach 1.5 million. However SWTOR will never approach WoWs numbers unless it also expands into the far east markets.

You donot challenge a game's success based on how it was over 7 yrs ago. Even Rift and other MMO's have beat WoW's record for initual subs. You have to compare numbers with other MMO's as they are "now". There can be some references to the two based on historical trends, but not total sub numbers as a single factor. And that was my point. TOR in NA alone, did not beat WoW's sub numbers ( present at that time ) in NA at launch.

Edited by Valkirus

Or it means that population is still decreasing.

Number of concurrent users has been steadily rising since 1.3. There are numerous threads and external sources showing this, go read them. The server cap WAS increased with the initiation of mergers. My server has had over 4k people concurrent which would have been WELL over the initial cap, go figure...

Pithy little one liners like yours when they are not based on empirical evidence don't prove anything. Go read the actual stats before making baseless assumptions.

Number of concurrent users has been steadily rising since 1.3. There are numerous threads and external sources showing this, go read them. The server cap WAS increased with the initiation of mergers. My server has had over 4k people concurrent which would have been WELL over the initial cap, go figure.

Nothing to do with Trials or Mergers or anything? :o

In fact, that could be the name of the next expansion... "Trial and Error!" ...As we got lots of both atm. Lol. :D

Nothing to do with Trials or Mergers or anything? :o

In fact, that could be the name of the next expansion... "Trial and Error!" ...As we got lots of both atm. Lol. :D

Eh, do you have any idea what I was responding to? Your statement is complete nonsense in the context of the conversation I was having with someone else.

They said that the server cap had not been raised, there were simply fewer log ins and that's why there were no q-times.

I pointed out that concurrent population numbers based on crowd-sourced data and third party sites verifies concurrent number of users are rising and that the average number of concurrent users on MY server is higher than the previous cap proving caps had been increased... I'm not actually sure what you think you're arguing but you're talking about something completely different than I am.

As time goes on I just have more and more fun! It was pretty fun to start, and now with all the new content being added at a pretty good clip, plus the changes they've gone through to make it better for players, I don't see running out of things to do. I love having alts, too, so getting to play 8 storylines is pretty fantastic. My server is packed, but I've never had to wait in queue to get in, PvP pops within 5 minutes, group finder places me in any type of group within 10 minutes. Last night I easily got in a group that got the +10 datacron! HK-51 is coming, Makeb is coming, Cathar are coming, better space is coming...legacy, pets, companions! I only see good things.

@Durasturan.

Granted. And apologies if needed, but do we really know if the cap was raised? We get little to zero information from those upstairs calling the shots.

I was merely pointing out that a lot of the people believing their server is "Steaming ahead!" is really being propped up by mergers/transfers and free trials, they then come here telling everyone with an issue that it's "all okay, were on top on the world!", some are here with lots of sub time left, a half empty promises and a lot of "nothing to do". It sure makes for not much fun! Serves me right for trusting EA/BW I guess. :o

Edited by Sporin

This game has definitely stabilised on MY server, The Red Eclipse, it has definitely increased in numbers, I cannot say whether this is due to free trials or not, but given that I saw IMP Taris with nearly 200 people on it night before last, that has to be a good sign, a lot of my IRL friends have been joining up, given some persuasion on my part after being disappointed by first Diablo 3 and now TSW. ( Get a free 110% drive through mobs mount at level 10 with my legacy perk? hell yes.)

As far as Guild Wars 2 goes, looking passed the hype machine, I have heard both bad and good things about the game, I only played it myself on a weekend and PvP was enjoyable, reminded me of WAR, but the AoE spam grinded on my enjoyment and the lag spikes due to the AoE spams ticking off everywhere, it wasn't as good for me as it could have been, but still a great game, but unfortunately, just like ALL the other MMOs, it has been hyped into high heaven, the disappointment ensued shortly after their asinine expectations weren't fulfilled, they flamed the game as much as possible, hyped the next big MMO, rinse and repeat.

SWTOR will do just fine if they keep a steady pace of updates up and don't mess up to much.

Number of concurrent users has been steadily rising since 1.3. There are numerous threads and external sources showing this, go read them. The server cap WAS increased with the initiation of mergers. My server has had over 4k people concurrent which would have been WELL over the initial cap, go figure...

Pithy little one liners like yours when they are not based on empirical evidence don't prove anything. Go read the actual stats before making baseless assumptions.

Concurrent users =/= subscriptions.

Guys. It isn't uncommon for developers to lay off staff after a game is released.

I will give the detractors a point that this wasn't as planned; but the idea that there'd be as many people working on the game a year after release as to a year before release was a pipe dream.

Outside of MMOs, layoffs are usually much, much more intense after game releases. Even for successful games.

- Arcada

When I read most of the replies in these threads I just imagine kids covering their ears and screaming "SWTOR is dying! SWTOR is dying! Ignore the statistics, ignore the data from Scorpienne, I have napkin math from my anecdotal evidence! And the internet agrees with me!" :rolleyes:

I guess they could throw the word "fanboy" in there a few times to further invalidate their arguments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.