Remove all the pointless travelling.

Daezihang

I do not like having to return to the fleet having completed quests lines, and then having to return back to my quest giver. This includes other annoyances like having to travel from Dromund Kaas, then to Hutta, then to Dromund Kaas.

Games are supposed to be fun, not tedious.

It's about time MMOs took a page out of single-player RPGs books and removed the stupid cooldown on fast travel abilities - why do they have long cooldowns? Look at Skyrim's system.

Convenience is not a bad word.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is such a thing as an arm chair MMO..

If you don't like getting quests, doing them and then returning.. Perhaps MMO's are not for you.. Travel is a large portion of an MMO.. Not everything can be in the same place and in reach from your arm chair..

And yes.. To some extent.. Convenience is a bad word.. The entire point of an MMO is that we have something to do.. If we have nothing to do because everything is convenient, then we stop playing..

It's time MMOs went back to being RPGMMOs and stopped turning everything into queues and waiting rooms with teleports in instances, it's like playing Quake Rocket Arena Death Matches.

You can't have both convenience and vibrant populated worlds as populated worlds require people to travel to them, it's either or.

I disagree that travelling is pointless. For me, one of the best things of swtor is the fact that the questline makes you go back to planets you have already been on. Makes the game more immersive, instead of just doing "ok, cleared balmorra. Goodbye forever."

In my opinion there should even be space travel between planets like there is on STO and single player space XXXX games (X3, freelancer, and others).

Then again, i'm a rper, so maybe thats why i like immersion in a game.

I do not like having to return to the fleet having completed quests lines, and then having to return back to my quest giver. This includes other annoyances like having to travel from Dromund Kaas, then to Hutta, then to Dromund Kaas.

It's about time MMOs took a page out of single-player RPGs books and removed the stupid cooldown on fast travel abilities - why do they have long cooldowns? Look at Skyrim's system.

Nope. Disagree. There is nothing, and I mean nothing tedious about travel in this game. It is fast and still remains immersive. Go play a shooter if you want instant gratification. This is an MMORPG where community, travel, interaction are the mainstays of the game.

heh. someone clearly never played lotro a few years ago ... while no hunter was around to play taxi for you.

(and i'm sure there's worse examples. I remember traveling in FFXI to be a minor annoyance back when, too)

Traveling could use some optimizing to be sure, but traveling back and forth from a quest giver is something that you will see in every mmo. I do wish bioware would boost mount speeds by 3X the worlds are pretty huge. Also it would be nice if we didn't have to hit a load screen every 5 feet in game.

the worlds are pretty huge.

Sorry but no they aren't. They are tiny compared to many many mmos I have played. I remember literally travelling from one point to another on foot for 2 hours at times to get from place to place. Without a map system.

Edited by Inokis

I wish alot of you people would open your eyes and realize mmorpgs just aren't your type of game.

Travelling goes way too fast...I remember playing another mmorpg where you had to wait for a ship to arrive, walk 20 minutes and take a flight just to travel between different cities, I kinda miss it :(

It's just more realisitc if travelling times take longer, I mean you don't just teleport yourself to work in real life, do you?:eek:

What's wrong with using holonet to "deliver" a quest?

As it stands now, it's pretty pointless in it's current state.

Travelling goes way too fast...I remember playing another mmorpg where you had to wait for a ship to arrive, walk 20 minutes and take a flight just to travel between different cities, I kinda miss it :(

It's just more realisitc if travelling times take longer, I mean you don't just teleport yourself to work in real life, do you?:eek:

Well you certainly don't summon a speeder out of you *** in real life either.

Edited by cotheer

Phoning in a quest completion seems alright, but how are they supposed to give you your item rewards over holo? Choosing it and them having to hunt down a mail box out in the wild, or are we just going to hand wave that too?

Laziness.

Phoning in a quest completion seems alright, but how are they supposed to give you your item rewards over holo? Choosing it and them having to hunt down a mail box out in the wild, or are we just going to hand wave that too?

Laziness.

Dude, we have a "spawning out of thin air mounts", carrying around a minimum of 50 pieces of gear and other sh*t with no visible bag or anything whatsoever, companions popping out of nowhere at your request... and you worry about the way quest rewards would be handled?

Laziness? No, just a little thing to consider if nothing than as another multi-million credit legacy perk since we already have perks that have no logical connection to the word "Legacy".

Edited by cotheer

Phoning in a quest completion seems alright, but how are they supposed to give you your item rewards over holo?

Delivery probe?

Screen could fade to black for a second indicating time passing ( like in some cutscenes) while the probe delivers the items or whatever, then you make the holocall to the npc who sends stuff back.

I wish alot of you people would open your eyes and realize mmorpgs just aren't your type of game.

Really? Disliking travel time means mmorpgs aren't your type of game? Give me a break. People play MMOs for the consistent world that is constantly updated, and the community that develops, not for the cross-map hikes to the missions.

Travelling is not an essential part of an MMO experience. It's simply the way most MMOs are developed. The community will not self-destruct if you can turn in your quest remotely, and teleport directly to the quest door. If it breaks immersion for you, simply ignore the option.

There seems to be a mentality around here that things are the way they are because that's the way they always have been, and any deviation from that is a bad thing. That's a mentality that really needs to be left behind.

Delivery probe?

Screen could fade to black for a second indicating time passing ( like in some cutscenes) while the probe delivers the items or whatever, then you make the holocall to the npc who sends stuff back.

Traveling probe is nice.

• Another way UPS galaxy, delivering items to your house (space ship)
  • Or: companion pick up package mission (for a fee + companion time sink)

Really? Disliking travel time means mmorpgs aren't your type of game? Give me a break. People play MMOs for the consistent world that is constantly updated, and the community that develops, not for the cross-map hikes to the missions.

Travelling is not an essential part of an MMO experience. It's simply the way most MMOs are developed. The community will not self-destruct if you can turn in your quest remotely, and teleport directly to the quest door. If it breaks immersion for you, simply ignore the option.

There seems to be a mentality around here that things are the way they are because that's the way they always have been, and any deviation from that is a bad thing. That's a mentality that really needs to be left behind.

The biggest factors that created community in an MMO used to be...

Downtime: Dead and buried.

Grouping: Almost dead and buried.

Travel: Almost dead and buried.

The result is community and world "feel" that is a few nails short of a sealed coffin.

TSW tried to do an MMO where you get the reward and xp for quest complition without going back to the quest giver. It actually sucks, it does not feel like have compeleted a quest or that anyone cares I have done it.

That said there are a number of minor things. I actually like docking my ship and getting a shuttle down to a planet but I hate all the loading screens. If they could improve them it would help a lot. I would like multiple landing sites on the lv 50 dailies missions, I want to go straight to black hole not have 4 loading screens to get there. I want to go straight to dominon outpost on Balsavivs not 3 loading zones and a long speeder ride to get there. I have explored the words seen them great now I just want to get to the zone I want to be in.

Still I like a lot of the progress feels better than strange teleports all over the place this isn't Star Trek.

Quit then....

Edited by Ganhob

I enjoy the travels, after you complete a set of missions, then travel around and tie up lose ends, to me it's part of the immersion of the game and I find it fun, not everyone has the same view of what's fun../shrug

I wish there was more, I would like to see my companion's story lines increased and more involved, thats one of the reasons I enjoy this game and it sets it apart from others is the depth of the story lines, I think I did allot of traveling in Bioware stand alone games as well. There are plenty of small world games out there with just point and click play, for those that don't like to be immersed in thier games..:)

Edited by kevlarto