What level do Scoundrels get good at PVP?

Mardalador

As a Scrapper you really come into fruition when you get Back Blast, Shoot First and Flechette Round. That would be level 35 if you put all your points in the Scrapper Tree.

You can't get flechette until 40 :p.

For healers, hehe, it gets awesome at lvl 30 when you get your instant heal. Its really awesome. ^_~

And even awesome-ER at lvl 31 when you get the next talent which lets you stack UH to 3 and cast your instant heal for free on targets with < 30% max hp.

Level 10? With the exception of Inquisitors/Consulars, Smugglers generally have enough abilities from level 10 to hold their own.

No, they really don't. You're thinking of Snipers.

Edited by Daiyukie

Its level 36 when you get shoot first. And dont play it like some people do. I see some that go in guns ablazing trying to be a PT. No....pick and choose your fight. You are stealth. Make the fights happen on your terms. Not on everyone elses.

We are good 30-49. Once you hit 50 it's a crapshoot on how good you will be until you get full WH gear. I was doing pretty good playing scrapbones but I ended up healing my teammates more the I was actually DPSing. I tried switching to straight up scrapper for a bit and even though my burst was ok, I found myself dying a lot.

I haven't pvp'd in a couple weeks, lost interest because expertise in its current form is absolutely retarded. I have yet to figure out why the damage boost modifier against other players on it is higher then the damage reduction modifier. I can understand why the healing modifier is the lowest, prior to 1.2 my sith sorcerer healer was almost unkillable.

36, when you get your opener from stealth. Gets better when you get 40 and Flechette Round. After that, enjoy 9 levels of dominance where you can basically kill who you want when you want, then hit 50.

Things are not so good for you there until you get gear

Once you get your gear, you'll enjoy picking and blowing up almost any target you'd like again. Unless it's a tank. Man, I hate fighting tanks... sadly after you've killed everyone else, that's just all that's left.

Level 10? With the exception of Inquisitors/Consulars, Smugglers generally have enough abilities from level 10 to hold their own.

Yeah, no. At that level operatives/scoundrels aren't good at all compared to some other classes. 20+ is when they start to become capable and high 30s is when they start to shine.

...I have yet to figure out why the damage boost modifier against other players on it is higher then the damage reduction modifier...

Because they need to be different to balance out due to the nature of increasing and decreasing by percentages. Example:

Two players equally geared; their expertise gives both 25% damage boost and 20% damage reduction.

Player A does 100 damage base.

+25% boost

100 x (1+0.25) = 100 x 1.25 = 125 damage

125 damage received by player B

-20% reduction

125 x (1-0.2) = 125 x 0.8 = 100

so the damage received by B is back to 100. Which is what you'd want, with them being equally geared.

If damage reductions were the same flat percentage as increases everyone would do progeressively less damage as general expertise levels went up, unbalancing combat.

With regard to OP:

As people have said, scoundrel PVP in the lowbie bracket is fun once you get your main tools, Shoot First and Flecehtte Round.

In real lvl50 PVP, you'll have a tough time until you gear up. Our basic modus operandi is to do a burst then finish off whatever the enemy has left. Without good gear, the burst leaves too much to overcome (and the sustained damage is of course lower too). On the positive side, I feel the few scrappers who stick it out can do a good job - they had to learn to play the class well to survive getting geared up without giving up.

Edited by Wainamoinen