Fighting Valis

Vazorath

When i first encountered him,I had a Guardian I got rolled like everyone else.I kept trying of course,and after a while got better and better at fighting him.I eventually beat him after I came back and was 2 levels higher than he was.

When I took him on again with my sentinel,I took him on at the same level and beat him my first try.I had learned so much about interrupts and Force Stasis, that second time around it was easy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk where people get the impression that he's bugged. Fought him on 4 different toons so far and just watched several Youtube videos of peeps fighting him and I never noticed a difference - that being said, he is one of the harder story bosses (at least for anything but Watchman Sents) in the game but still perfectly beatable even on level 24/25.

Many players tend to make the mistake of seriously neglecting their companions equipment-wise and I guess that's more of an issue than actually making big mistakes during the fight - f.i. if you have a decently equipped Kira you can trade Aggro with her as a Vig Guardian without any problems.

Other than that pretty much everything you have to do is position yourself for his knockback.

I'd say the fight is hardest for Combat Sents and Focus Sents/Guardians but if you spec Focus on that level, you're practically choosing a hard mode.

EDIT:

I'm not even sure what the problem is tbh. I went in with good gear and specced as a tank. Between Kira and I we completely dominated him. Guard Kira and keep sunders on him. Should be pretty simple past that. Kira got kind of low, but I never dropped below half.

THAT makes absolutely no sense. With you being tank specced, why would Kira ever pull aggro in the first place? Especially with Guard on her.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're a sentinel or dps guardian and not using a geared t7 with his guard on then that's your 1st problem. Kira is not a tank, she only dps'. That may work on regular mobs, but when going up against a boss, you need balance. dps/tank or dps/heals combo. Possibly a tank/heals combo, but that would make a 2 minute fight turn into an 8 minute fight.

If you're a sentinel or dps guardian and not using a geared t7 with his guard on then that's your 1st problem. Kira is not a tank, she only dps'. That may work on regular mobs, but when going up against a boss, you need balance.

As already said many many times before: wrong, wrong, wrong. This fight is all about interrupting - if you manage to interrupt every single Energy Blast (which is entirely possible) it's a walk in the park and even winnable with no companion at all. So using T7 just gives Valis more opportunities to cast it in the first place.

Besides, Kira has Blade Ward while T7 has nothing to compensate damage on that level, making her nearly as tanky for longer fights.

People really need to stop recommending T7 to new players. There's only one way for him to be better or more useful than Kira at any given moment in the game: when you neglect your companion/s equipment/mod-wise.

So the best solution is to just NOT neglect your companions and pay attention.

Edited by jupezz

Level 26 when i faced valis. Jedi Guardian with Kira. Saw the thread topic prior to the fight but I didn't read it as I didn't want to know. Walked in, spanked him and walked out not even sure it was a boss fight? I have my interupt and my stun break mapped and just used them both liberally. Anybody having trouble I would suggest mapping them to the Q & E keys for quick reference. Makes many fights easier if you can interrupt their 'main' attack.

It really wasn't that tough a fight.

• 3 months later...

I am a Jedi Sentinel. Here is how I beat Valis. The first two times that I fought Valis I was counting on losing. I had no idea what kind of powers he had and didn’t know what to expect so I needed to feel him out. I surprised myself in those first two fights I almost beat him but I did not think I could push it over the top at level twenty-four so I did what I had to reach the next level.

I noticed that Valis wants to battle Kira; so I thought that I would use that against him. My plan was to get Kira in a position where she was fighting him from the front and I would attack from the rear. Before I went in I used and might stim and force might. The plan did not work the first two times but we really wore him down. The last time I went in I did not use the force leap to begin my attack I saved it for when he threw me using the dark side of the force. I noticed he could not throw me as far if I positioned a wall or something behind me and the faster I could get back to the fight the more damage I could do. In the third fight my strategy paid off. He looked so nice there at my feet.

The trick is to keep powered up (use med packs & stims) and keep attacking quickly; really unload on him. You will not win 100% of the time but eventually you will win once and that is all that it takes.

• 1 month later...

I am having the hardest time beating Valis. I have tried at at least six times now and I can only get him down to half health before he uses he cheap moves to kill me. I am level a 27 Jedi guardian so I figured it would be a walk in the park but a walk in the park it is not.

I have done everything that people have said in this thread. i have used skill stims, I have used Interrupts, i have used my companions wisely. every time I interrupt him he uses an attack that lifts me into the air and then drops me on the ground and by the time I get up he is able to do his other attacks before I can interrupt him again.

This is when a game stops being fun for me. I don't mind a good fun challenge but this isn't a good fun challenge. This is an annoying difficult challenge that made me throw a glass against the wall in anger.

A good fun challenge was the fight against Lord Sadic. I died once and I knew what the problem was so i fixed that problem and after that beat him easily.

First off like many of you here SWTOR is the first MMO I have ever played. In the beginning on Tython I thought to myself hey this is easy, I picked my advanced class and the game progressed and I developed new skills it started to get more complicated. I wasn't investing my skill points wisely, I didn't pay attention to my equipment or the equipment of my companion, and I lacked awareness. But just because this is the first MMO played by many of us including myself that doesn't make it a valid excuse. It's up to the player to learn and read the information available in game through the codex, from other players, and on the forums. Now I don't want anyone reading this to think I'm trying bash or give new players a hard time, that's not why I'm writing this. I'm doing this so that hopefully other new players will have a better understanding. Also I'm not trying bring up a dead post, two years after this was posted on the forums, people are still coming here and talking about how difficult this fight is when, it really isn't.

Now in my opinion again I state my opinion the problem is people forget about upgrading their equipment and the equipment of their companions, not understanding the skill tree they are investing points into, not knowing what all of their abilities do, a lack of situational awareness, and rushing through therefore being under leveled.

Equipment pretty simple keep it updated, you earn commendations for completing quests save them and buy upgrades for your gear and your companions gear. Shop on the Galactic Trade Network (GTN) for new equipment. It's not a good idea to use gear that is 3, 4, 5 levels below your level. You won't do as much damage, your health will be lower due to the lack of endurance (remember that 1 point of endurance increases your health by 10 points roughly), and you will take more damage if you have a lower armor rating. Also each class has their main stat which increases both forms of damage for a Jedi Knight that would be melee damage and Force Damage. A Jedi Knights main stat is STRENGTH , meaning use equipment that has strength (armor, mods, hilts, implants, ear pieces, & stims use either strength endurance, possibly the command stim it increases your presence which increases your companions health and damage). A Jedi Knight doesn't need armor with cunning, aim, or will power these attributes are the for the other classes. Just because you can equip a piece of armor doesn't mean you should equip that piece of armor (medium armor with cunning=smuggler, heavy armor with aim=trooper). Also if you are a DPS guardian you should equip a strength focus because it will increase your force bonus power more then a shield generator will. If you are tank spec'd make sure you have a shield generator equipped because if you don't you loose all the shielding benefits of your tank stance. Your companions have a main stat just like the character you created so make sure that the equipment they are using is really meant for them. Kira for example, her main stat would be will power, she's pretty easy in the gear department because only light armor has will power. So just make sure you give her a will power focus for her off hand and use will power armoring pieces, mods, and hilts. Again all of those items listed can be purchased from the commendation vendors or through the Galactic Trade Network (GTN). If you are ever unsure as to what a companions main stat is press the "L" key and open up your codex, find the character and there you go.

Now the skill tree, as I stated earlier with this being my first MMO I was putting my skill points all over the place which I thought would be helpful. It had the reverse effect, by level 25 I unlocked the entire bottom row of all the skill trees for the Guardian missing out on some abilities I would have gained by investing all or most skill points in one tree. Some of the abilities are activated, others are passive and some enhance abilities you have. For example in the Vigilance tree for Guardians there is an ability linked to the Shien form called unremitting which grants a 20% damage reduction and immunity to interrupts and controlling effects for 4 seconds. But this ability is only granted if you are using the Shien form. So make sure that the skills you're investing are for the stance you're in. Now you do get a few extra skill points that allow you invest in some of the other areas just make sure that you're paying attention to where there going. Check torhead's skill calculator or other similar sites or look at the builds other people have posted on the forums. Each of the trees have key abilities only useable or beneficial in the correct lightsaber form. Pay attention to what you investing in, open up the skill tree and read each of the abilities so you know what they do it's as simple as pressing "K" and holding your mouse over the skill and reading the description box that pops up. You can do the same with your activated combat abilities, press "P" to open up the abilities menu and select the tab that says Jedi Knight see shared abilities or select the tab that has Guardian or Sentinel to see class specific abilities. Read them, then read them again, and again. That way you'll know what they do and have a better understanding of how to use them.

Now situational awareness, knowing what your enemy is doing, what your companion(s) are doing, what you should be doing in a given situation, your surroundings, and knowing when to use certain abilities. This in a way ties into rushing through content because if you're rushing through things there is a good chance that you're not paying attention to what you are supposed to be doing because you're focused on finishing quickly and that tends to lead to mistakes happening. Even if you only do group missions a few times it will help you with your awareness because you are forced pay attention to whats going on around you, what the group is doing, your positioning in a fight, and what other npc's are doing. Doing group content will also help you knowing when to use your interrupts, CC (crowd control), and other abilities. It also allows you to see how other players play their character. You could kind of think of it as hands on learning. But the tactics you learn while doing group quests will carry over and make you a better player as you are questing on your own. Group quests are also a good way to get new equipment, extra $, exp, and commendations. Even if you don't want to do Flash Points group up for the planetary heroics, it may take you a little longer to the planet you are on and some may say "I'm f2p I can't do flash points" or "as a f2p player I don't gain exp as fast". That would make it more important to do as much content as you possibly can so you are leveled appropriately and f2p can complete Flash Points they are just limited to a certain number per week.

I know that there are other guides and that's not what this was meant to be, just some helpful advice. All of the things I mention anybody can do and it's not difficult, the more you learn about the class you are playing the more competent you will become and you won't be posting on the forums about not being able to Valis. :D

Edited by Destroy_Apollo
addition

I am having the hardest time beating Valis. I have tried at at least six times now and I can only get him down to half health before he uses he cheap moves to kill me. I am level a 27 Jedi guardian so I figured it would be a walk in the park but a walk in the park it is not.

I have done everything that people have said in this thread. i have used skill stims, I have used Interrupts, i have used my companions wisely. every time I interrupt him he uses an attack that lifts me into the air and then drops me on the ground and by the time I get up he is able to do his other attacks before I can interrupt him again.

This is when a game stops being fun for me. I don't mind a good fun challenge but this isn't a good fun challenge. This is an annoying difficult challenge that made me throw a glass against the wall in anger.

A good fun challenge was the fight against Lord Sadic. I died once and I knew what the problem was so i fixed that problem and after that beat him easily.

I am not 100% sure what you are doing, what build do you have? I personally went with the Defense build and was lvl 25 or 26, can't remember, but I used Kira and with the interupts and attacks, I owned him, never went below half my life. I had Kira start the attack and I jumped in right as she started losing life, I try to wait for the chance to use the force leap as an interupt but either way I had no real problems. I use the stamina stim but again no real problems.

• 4 weeks later...
I remember Valis very well, I first faced hm at level 24(I think) and was shocked by how fast he killed me. I read some of the other posts on this page and saw some very interesting suggestions such as leveling myself up to 27 or getting my back to a stack of crates so I couldn't be pushed back, however, I have a different suggestion (valid as the others may have been). Get as close to him as you can running into the fight. Send Kira in slightly ahead of you and then close the battle to melee range and finish him quickly. Valis is most effective at a long range where you cannot hit him. If he charges up for an attack, use force kick or stasis. The Knight (Sentinel especially) is effective at fast, strong attacks. With master strike and saber ward, you should have no problem. I killed him with ease second try, I lost less than half my health and never healed. My companion also survived. No need to stress or overthink this fight so long as you keep your attacks up and use interrupts...

• 4 weeks later...

You are absolutely right !

This mission (Defeat Valis) should not be so difficult at level 24 !

SWTOR CUSTOMER SERVICES ! Please note that complaints !

This game is losing its fun !

I am Jedi Guardian, level 25 but I can't beat him no way.

I have used Force Statis, Force Kick, Force Leap, stims, medpacks, saber ward, gears .... ext.

Now I will try to be level 26. I will try to use "Force PUSH" .

It is a terrible situation :(

FINALLY ! I beat him at level 25,5. I am very happy :) It was a very hard combat !

I want to help those like me !

IMPORTANT ADVICES : (FOR JEDI GUARDIANS)

BEFORE COMBAT :

-You must be level 24 at least

-Buy Mods equipments for your & Kira's lightsaber from Vendors (IMPORTANT)

-I recommend Planet Commen. Vendors (Especially Tattoine Planet)

-Buy medpacks, stims, implants (ear)

-Buy light armor (high willpower) for Kira

IN COMBAT :

-Use Heroic Moment Form

-Use Soresu Form

-Use Force Mİght Form

-Use Kira's "BLADE WARD" form

-Let her jump in first with Blade Ward

-Wait a moment (3 -4 sec.)

-If she gets too low on health USE TAUNT

-DO NOT USE Force Leap first , RUN !

-STAY side of the Valis's Ship

-Pop Saber Ward.

-USE FORCE STATIS & FORCE KICK (VERY IMPORTANT)

-USE FORCE LEAP When Valis throws you

-Finally USE Master Strike - Strike - Blade Storm - Sundering Strike - Slash

-DO NOT LOOK Combat, LOOK your Quickbars

I hope These infos are useful !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was able to beat Valus at lvl 23. I accomplished this by using force kick interrupting his biggest attack force blast I think its called. After that he goes into using force lighting I ignore those attacks and just manage my life as best I can and while pounding him with as much dps as I could. I found that if you let him complete force blast he will be more likely to use is other attacks that keep you off the correct timing but if you focus on disrupting his force blast and stay close to him he just uses the lightning strike which is manageable.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried him at 23 Sentinel and no luck. Tried again at 24 after doing all the bonus missions on Taris and it seems even worse.

Not sure where else to go to get another level or two? Done all except maybe some Heroics on Taris. Should I move on to wherever the Navigation screen on the ship says is next for levels or back to Taris? :confused:

Edit - Just tried again as level 24. Tried with Kara and with T7. No luck - not even close.

I will just have to find some where to level up a couple of levels and come back :(

Edited by GefjonAsgard
Update

Tried him at 23 Sentinel and no luck. Tried again at 24 after doing all the bonus missions on Taris and it seems even worse.

Not sure where else to go to get another level or two? Done all except maybe some Heroics on Taris. Should I move on to wherever the Navigation screen on the ship says is next for levels or back to Taris? :confused:

Edit - Just tried again as level 24. Tried with Kara and with T7. No luck - not even close.

I will just have to find some where to level up a couple of levels and come back :(

Level 24 should never be "worse".

Force Stasis should outweigh any diminishing returns from level 23 to 24.

I'm not saying you should absolutely be able to do it...since I don't know any of your gear...but you should definitely have a much better shot at level 24 than level 23 from Force Stasis alone.

Anyways...if you read through this thread...you should find tactics that are great to use...not only for this fight...but any hard boss fight.

I "try" to stay three or four levels ahead of my quests (to make the questing easier). As a result I did Valis around level 27. At the time I was wearing a lot of FP gear with the best available mods (purchased with comms) for my level.

The trick?

1. Interrupt his Energy Blast whenever you can.

2. Have at least one med-pack.

That was really all it took for me.

Mostly it's about interrupting him.

• 2 weeks later...
What do I use to interrupt that please?

I tried again this morning after levelling up in Warzones - still no luck. Kara dies, I die, end of story :(

Force Kick and Force Stasis to interrupt.

Force Leap also interrupts...but you obviously have to be a certain distance away to use it.

Anyways...between Force Kick and Force Stasis...you can definitely interrupt it 3 times in a row. He should probably be dead by then.

• 3 months later...

23 Tank spec Guardian and took him pretty easy. Ok, thats not quite accurate. Tried several times with Kira and just about did it once.

Finally put Kira away and brought out Treek. I've been keeping up on Treeks mods and the fight was pretty easy.

I'd imaging that Kira is needed to get started, but when you get ready for the actual fight, dig out you're best equipped companion.