The Darth Maul bashing

Darth_Dae

So its the norm for myself to get bashed for liking the fellow.

I usually get bashed for the reasons like "Over-rated" "Its just the double-bladed saber isn't it...." "Horns and tattoos look cool don't they...." "Died in his first major battle"

Ok so I'll take some of those but really?? I mean ok, he was made to look completely bad *** than the rest, and I'll admit, it worked on me. That attracted me and is that so wrong? Darth Maul was god damn cool, his fighting abilities were amazing and he was the apprentice of the best. I hate being bashed for reasons like that for chosing Maul, if I was told reasons like his immaturity then hands down that is a reason not to like him but damn I liked that about him too, made him cocky, I like that.

What are your opinions on him? Do ye guys agree with not liking him for the double-saber and all which was clearly made just to attract?

Hes a fine character, in fact all characters are good. Its just when the obsessed fans think that their character can do whatever the hell they want, is where the line is drawn.

I agree with that, Maul was great and all but Maul as an Emperor is just something I could never see....

I don't remember him dying in his first major battle at all. If anything, people should think that he is awesome. He killed Qui-Gon Jinn, he would have killed obi wan and he was cut in half yet he managed to crawl through a vent and get off world and get new legs. If you ask me that is what you call an iron will.

I don't remember him dying in his first major battle at all. If anything, people should think that he is awesome. He killed Qui-Gon Jinn, he would have killed obi wan and he was cut in half yet he managed to crawl through a vent and get off world and get new legs. If you ask me that is what you call an iron will.

I call it the power of the darkside, it was so stressful on Maul that he went insane for awhile.

Not a fan of him. As I recall when Phantom Menace came out people were in awe of the guy because of his double bladed saber and the fact he appeared to be the main villain as far as the trailers went.

Frankly, he was a one note character with all the staying power of a eviscerated squirrel.

I don't care what he did or did not do in some comic or TV series since I don't pay attention to them. Why on earth he stayed so popular after the film I have no idea.

That said if people like him, good for them. I can respect that, I can't understand it but I can respect it.

Not a fan of him. As I recall when Phantom Menace came out people were in awe of the guy because of his double bladed saber and the fact he appeared to be the main villain as far as the trailers went.

Frankly, he was a one note character with all the staying power of a eviscerated squirrel.

I don't care what he did or did not do in some comic or TV series since I don't pay attention to them. Why on earth he stayed so popular after the film I have no idea.

That said if people like him, good for them. I can respect that, I can't understand it but I can respect it.

Same reason why Boba Fett was so popular, he was....silent for the most part.

Same reason why Boba Fett was so popular, he was....silent for the most part.

I was going to say, Boba Fett seems crazy popular but as far as the movies go he accomplished even less than Darth Maul did. So why the hate towards one and love for the other?

I was going to say, Boba Fett seems crazy popular but as far as the movies go he accomplished even less than Darth Maul did. So why the hate towards one and love for the other?

I agree completely. As a fellow Darth Maul fan its crazy how people don't know the story but that's them. Bobba is the exact same way.

Well, he was defeated in his first major battle, but did not die. As revealed in the new animated movie that is to become official canon, Maul is still very much alive. The trouble with liking the villians is that they are going to lose. That's what they are designed to do. I thought he was a great concept for a villian and I hope that do alot with him as a villian in future storylines.

....but he'll probably just get "killed" again.

So you are trying to get people to hate him OP? I'm a tad confused on what you are trying to say. :confused:

I honestly loved Maul. The first shown Double-Bladed Saber made me have a "HOLY S@$% !" moment when Ep 1 first came out. I only disliked how he was killed in his first screen appearance. Yes, he had many missions beforehand....but we never saw them. I'm not too happy that he was brought form the dead ot be put on TCW...that show is just killing canon left n right.

But overall Maul was an insane character, and the actor who played him was cool to meet too!

Edited by Eillack

For me, I disliked him from the first time I saw him

Why?

Because he looked too much like the devil. I remember thinking "what the heck is this, the bad guy is the devil".

Just did not seem very creative IMO. The bad guys dont have to look like bad guys all the time

(though in starwars it seems they all too often do)

He was kind of like a precursor for the entire prequels.

He has grown on me a bit over the years, but still not my favorite.

For me, I disliked him from the first time I saw him

Why?

Because he looked too much like the devil. I remember thinking "what the heck is this, the bad guy is the devil".

Just did not seem very creative IMO. The bad guys dont have to look like bad guys all the time

(though in starwars it seems they all too often do)

He was kind of like a precursor for the entire prequels.

He has grown on me a bit over the years, but still not my favorite.

and ironically, it doesn't matter how bad they make the bad guy look. as you just pointed out, they can say hey look here this is the bad guy the one that looks like the devil. and you still get ppl asking the question "are the sith really evil"

anyway the thing that disappointed me about maul other than the bringing him back in TCW, as much as i like maul, that was just stupid, but what really got me, was when i set up my marauder, i found out it was assassins that got the maul look

I remember that I didn't really have much of an opinion on Maul from the film - there wasn't really much to build an opinion on, to be honest. He says 'yes, my master', smirks a lot whilst fighting Jedi and has bad teeth.

However, I found the 'journal' novel for Darth Maul in the school library a little while later, and read it, and found him really interesting :) The back story was intense. It was just a shame the same level of depth couldn't be applied in the film. In any way, shape or form. At all.

In terms of Saber skills, Maul was unmatched. Sure,Obi-wan beat him, but not because he was a better duelist. Also, Maul had to die early, Anakin and his ***** *** wouldn't of beat Maul. Edited by cool-dude

In terms of Saber skills, Maul was unmatched. Sure,Obi-wan beat him, but not because he was a better duelist. Also, Maul had to die early, Anakin and his ***** *** wouldn't of beat Maul.

Everyone and their brother is "unmatched" in saber skills in the SW universe.

Just sayin'.

He tracked the Millenium Falcon to Bespin by its trajectory, then notified the Empire so far in advance, they were waiting for it when it arrived. The movies didn't portray him that well, since George thought he was "just another bad guy". George is to blame for that. Not Fett himself.

And as far as Darth Maul bashing goes, I actually liked the character. Obi-Wan just had better plot armor. As is the case with most of George's characters, he even makes the "minor characters" so interesting, we sometimes can't help but like them.

Boba Fett. Darth Maul. Wedge Antilles. Kit Fisto. Shaak Ti. Aayla Secura. etc. etc.

He tracked the Millenium Falcon to Bespin by its trajectory, then notified the Empire so far in advance, they were waiting for it when it arrived. The movies didn't portray him that well, since George thought he was "just another bad guy". George is to blame for that. Not Fett himself.

And as far as Darth Maul bashing goes, I actually liked the character. Obi-Wan just had better plot armor. As is the case with most of George's characters, he even makes the "minor characters" so interesting, we sometimes can't help but like them.

Boba Fett. Darth Maul. Wedge Antilles. Kit Fisto. Shaak Ti. Aayla Secura. etc. etc.

Except at that time, Boba really was just another bad guy. So its not really anyone's fault.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Except at that time, Boba really was just another bad guy. So its not really anyone's fault.

Yet, in the Marvel Star Wars comics, he was a complete BAMF already. Yes, I know most of them are N-Canon now, but that's where people first saw what he could do with that arsenal he was wearing. lol