The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Expertise Points

LasOlas

This is probably a stupid newbie question, but how do I earn expertise points?

I am a level 35 sniper and play often in PVP and yet I have 0 expertise points.

Expertise is a gear stat. The only way to get it is to get gear that has it.

It is also only available to level 50 characters.

Expertise is a stat found on pvp oriented gear. It doesn't really come into play until you hit 50 and start acquiring pvp gear. You'll want to get above 1000 as quickly as possible (can buy recruit pvp gear from npc in combat section of Fleet). Then use commendations to buy Battlemaster gear, and then finally War Hero gear.

Or you can just roll a Marauder/Sentinel and burn everything down so fast it won't matter much.

You don't earn it, its a stat found on level 50 PvP gear. Right now that is recruit / battlemaster / Warhero

There were also some pieces like weapons around level 47 -49 which you could remove the expertise mods and slot them into other gear. But much of the expertise comes from hitting 50 and then its kinda easy to "accumulate " expertise considering nowadays it only takes a 1 -2 weeks to be BM geared.

Edited by Stovokor

Expertise stats are tied to gear. You can get a small amount of expertise from the pvp weapons vendor pre 50 but those arnt really worth wasting commendations on. At level 50 you will get a quest that gives you a token for free recruit gear which has expertise attached to it. The next step is battlemaster gear which requires warzone commendations to purchase so save up those commendations as you level up (the cap is 2k commendations).

When you reach valor 40 (if you pvp as you level you should have it by level 40) start converting your warzone commendations into ranked commendations. It is 30 warzone commendations for to get 10 ranked commendations. If you do everything right you should have 2000 warzone commendations and 3500 ranked warzone commendations which will get you a few pieces of battlemaster right off the bat.

At 50 you can group up and do ranked warzones which aware ranked commendations instead of warzones or you can continue to do normal warzones and convert those commendations into ranked commendations. Eventually you will move onto war hero gear but you need a battlemaster piece + ranked commendations to get the war hero piece (minus the relics, implants and earpiece).

Edit:

I see a bunch of people beat me to my reply lol.

The pvp weapons vendor, next to the pvp daily quest terminal will sell weapons that have some expertise in them (I think the highest is ~25 points for a lv. 48 weapon). Now, you don't HAVE TO BE lv. 50 to get expertise and start reaping the rewards from expertise, since you can rip the enhancement (which is what has the expertise) out of the weapons and throw it in all of your custom gear (I've had several guildmates do this, I think the most you can get to is ~150-175 expertise as level 47 - which happens to be the required level to wear anything with the mods/enhancements/hilts/barrels/crystals that come on the lv. 48 weapons, so you can actually throw all the mods/enhacnements from those weapons into gear and use them one level earlier than the level requirement for them - this is true for ALL those weapons - the weapons themselves have the higher level restriction for some reason).

BUT... it's debatable as to whether or not using gear with such a small amount of expertise outweighs the benefits you would gain by using gear that would have far more stats in 10-49 pvp. One guildie swore that his expertise gear was best, and another swore that his purple crafted gear was best. They were the same level/class/spec and their values were almost identical every match, so I personally don't think it would be worth the effort (900 wz comms per weapon to strip and place into helm/chest/gloves/legs/boots/weapon/off-hand weapon -if applicable- which is 5400 or 6300 WZ comms) + credit cost to remove the enhancements, from each piece.

But hey, at least you now know that you have options you can try out with expertise prior to lv. 50.