The lack of my Twi'lek having a hood is disturbing...

DeathMagician

im suprised theres actualy 3 people playing twi'leks.... i dont think ive seen any at all in game :p

My only reason for not making one is that female twi'lek makeup and complexion choices look terrible. The makeup was obviously not designed for someone with blue skin and the complexions all make you either have bizarre eyebrows or look like you have some kind of skin disease. I didn't want weird eyebrows, clown makeup and blotchy skin.

Edited by Game_Hermit

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support this movement, I keep sending in tickets wanting to know if this will ever be fixed.. Yes it is gamebreaking for me, I play on an RP server I love the twi'lek species and I WANT to be represented the way Everyone else can choose to be. It isn't fair they took it out last second. I wouldn't care if they clipped through I'd just pretend there were holes there for my leku. At least make the leku drape over the front of our shoulders with a hood on or something it can't be that hard. SWG had several options on how we wanted just our leku placed. If they can do it, bioware can..

I just want confirmation that this will be eventually fixed. If not I'll have to play another race because I just cannot play my character without a hood it would never look or feel right.

The silly thing is, as a Sith Sorcerer I got a head armor quest reward that covered my whole head (including lekku).

So they coded the ability for this one specific helmet to cover them but they can't figure out a way to give us hoods?

this. I could see if it just wasn't possible to do this, but its clearly been done with some helmets in the game.

What they should do is just make an option for ALL races who can wear hooded armor that allows you to hide your hood like you can hide your helmet, because some people would like to have their hood down while still showing their crown/helm, even non-twilek, Im sure. So in the end, this wouldn't be JUST a fix for twilek, but a feature given to ALL hooded classes.

This way, if you want to show your lekku, you can hide the hood. If you want to have the hood up, they just disappear (atleast until they can implement some kind of over the shoulder model for the lekku, even if they were static it would be nice).

References:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lueaes85w01qiwlodo1_500.jpg

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrz82xEosX1qc44j1o1_500.png

http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/skinnerman02/a3fbb892a474e9cf9545881320ccaaba.jpg?v=170550(blurry, sorry)

Edited by ShadedFlash

Created a Twi'lek not long ago... Why? Why wasn't there a big red label at the character creation screen saying "Our designer team lacks ideas, this race has no hoodies, sorry" ?

And yes, I'm being childish. I'm Sith Sorcerer without a hood. My kid dreams of becoming something like an emperor are falling lower and lower...

Twi'lek lekku are called Brain-tails for a reason. If manipulated, the lekku have the potential to be life-threatening to any Twi'lek.

The reason the Twi'lek force-users remove the hoods is so their lekku are able to actually have the space they need to not seize up the Twi'lek, and potentially kill him/her.

Maybe not canon, but its a good interpretation of the reasoning behind the hood-less Twi'lek.

I highly doubt it was the lore behind the Lekku that stopped BW from putting hoods on Twi'lek. And there is art of hooded twilek out there (shown in my post).

Either way, it should be up to the player whether or not they want their hood shown or not, for their own individual reasons.

Also, as far as I can tell, from a programmers point of view... It would be a VERY easy fix.

I think the reason the character-creation screen headpiece for Twilek becomes hidden despite there being no hood shown is that by default, the hood graphic uses the same attachment point as the twilek's headpiece, and (for other races) would be covered over anyway.

Now we already have existing code for hide helm, show helmet. This would be a simple change over of replacing the code for hide/show from the helmet attachment point to the headpiece attachment point that the hood uses. Copy and Paste of existing coding with a simple replacement of variable names.

As for the lekku, this would also be a copy and paste code job. The code already exists to hide the lekku, as proven by the all-encasing helmets that cover the lekku. This code would simply be added to the show-hood portion of coding to not have clipping lekku.

Finally, the front/over the shoulder lekku would use the existing lekku attachment point, just for the sake of clarity, if they ever decide to change this and add in lekkus while wearing hoods.

Has anyone seen a blue post about this yet? Has anyone heard anything from Bioware about it?

It's aggravating that hoods are cannot be worn by my Twileks, but I'd be easily able to cope with it if it didn't kill the head decoration. That's got to be a tiny, easy fix really. It'd be adequate for me.

The only thing I've seen is moderators consolidating other Twileks want hoods threads into this one. Nothing to actually address the issue.

To show headpiece, they'd have to add an exception line for twileks when equipping hooded robes that does not allow the hood graphic to take the headpiece slot, if thats how it is coded.

Id rather them just make a show hood option though that allows people of both preferences to be happy.

This is getting stupid, I've put in multiple petitions etc trying to just get an answer on if its a bug they are fixing or they are working on moving the leku to make it look proper.. I wouldn't care if I had a hood that my leku clipped through at least I'd have a hood, i'd just pretend there were very tight holes that my leku was sitting through. I just want an answer because I haven't been playing and lvling my character because of this.. It is game breaking for me "yes I know it sounds stupid but it really is" Twi'lek is the only race in the game that I love and to NOT have a hood as a jedi consular is just UGH to me. Especially since it makes my headband disappear as well.

I've just sent a few PM's on the forums to some of the dev people or whatever that post on the forums maybe I can get an answer from them, if I do i'll post results here. But so far it isn't looking too good for us twi'lek jedi/sith

You know how hard it would be to do this? VERY hard. they would basically need a separate texture model of armor duplicated just for a twi'lek. They didn't do this at by end of beta, so pretty sure its on the back burner until more pressing matters are addressed. Like med rez textures being called hi rez textures, for example. I agree that this issue is supported and strong enough to at least be dignified with an acknowledgement. Hears to hoping. Edited by HomeSlixe

You know how hard it would be to do this? VERY hard. they would basically need a separate texture model of armor duplicated just for a twi'lek. They didn't do this at by end of beta, so pretty sure its on the back burner until more pressing matters are addressed. Like med rez textures being called hi rez textures, for example. I agree that this issue is supported and strong enough to at least be dignified with an acknowledgement. Hears to hoping.

How do you know? Prove it.

When you take something like a characters head, there is not a single graphic for every single hood/headpiece/helmet combination possible, it would be so exponentially consuming, its rather impossible.

So new armor JUST for Twilek would NOT have to be made.

Instead, 3D Models typically use "attachment points" to connect armor to a characters body. What this means is you have a base model structure, being the characters head. And on this structure, there are anchor points. These anchors are what attachments are set to to display new models over the basic structure, such as helmets, hoods and headpieces.

From what I can tell so far, Twilek have 3 anchor points... Helmet anchor, headpiece/hood anchor, and lekku anchor. I am yet unsure if other races have an extra anchor where Twilek's lekku attach to. This 3rd anchor could be used for some races as an "accessory" slot like Cyborg's face tech, facial hair for humans, horns on the sith, or jewelry for other races, etc.

So all they would have to do is re-enable hoods for Twilek (a simple variable switch) and then either turn lekku off (another variable switch), or switch the 3d model of the lekku out with an over the shoulder variant of the lekku while hoods are enabled (yet again, another variable switch, with a new 3d model to be created). This is an unbelievably easy process in coding.

I don't see anything complicated about what I've mentioned.

As I've said already...

Also, as far as I can tell, from a programmers point of view... It would be a VERY easy fix.

I think the reason the character-creation screen headpiece for Twilek becomes hidden despite there being no hood shown is that by default, the hood graphic uses the same attachment point as the twilek's headpiece, and (for other races) would be covered over anyway.

Now we already have existing code for hide helm, show helmet. This would be a simple change over of replacing the code for hide/show from the helmet attachment point to the headpiece attachment point that the hood uses. Copy and Paste of existing coding with a simple replacement of variable names.

As for the lekku, this would also be a copy and paste code job. The code already exists to hide the lekku, as proven by the all-encasing helmets that cover the lekku. This code would simply be added to the show-hood portion of coding to not have clipping lekku.

Finally, the front/over the shoulder lekku would use the existing lekku attachment point, just for the sake of clarity, if they ever decide to change this and add in lekkus while wearing hoods.

Edited by ShadedFlash

Also to note, Bioware's other MMO (since they absorbed Mythic), Warhammer Online (now down to a single NA server) ALSO had (and still has) MANY, MANY "copy and paste" code fixes from existing code that could of been (can be) done within minutes, that would of gone a long way to help the game, but they simply denied its possibility, ignored it or just flat out refused to do it.

Heres to hoping the team working on SWTOR (that includes people that worked on WAR) does not follow the same illfated path that the team working on WAR did.

Edited by ShadedFlash

You know how hard it would be to do this? VERY hard. they would basically need a separate texture model of armor duplicated just for a twi'lek. They didn't do this at by end of beta, so pretty sure its on the back burner until more pressing matters are addressed. Like med rez textures being called hi rez textures, for example. I agree that this issue is supported and strong enough to at least be dignified with an acknowledgement. Hears to hoping.

Considering other "high priority" issues like emoting while mounted has been fixed, i don't see why the Twi'Lek Hood issue is less relevant.

It's beyond me minor issues like this was not fixed prior to release, considering the already limited customization options this MMO offer.

How do you know? Prove it.

When you take something like a characters head, there is not a single graphic for every single hood/headpiece/helmet combination possible, it would be so exponentially consuming, its rather impossible.

So new armor JUST for Twilek would NOT have to be made.

Instead, 3D Models typically use "attachment points" to connect armor to a characters body. What this means is you have a base model structure, being the characters head. And on this structure, there are anchor points. These anchors are what attachments are set to to display new models over the basic structure, such as helmets, hoods and headpieces.

From what I can tell so far, Twilek have 3 anchor points... Helmet anchor, headpiece/hood anchor, and lekku anchor. I am yet unsure if other races have an extra anchor where Twilek's lekku attach to. This 3rd anchor could be used for some races as an "accessory" slot like Cyborg's face tech, facial hair for humans, horns on the sith, or jewelry for other races, etc.

So all they would have to do is re-enable hoods for Twilek (a simple variable switch) and then either turn lekku off (another variable switch), or switch the 3d model of the lekku out with an over the shoulder variant of the lekku while hoods are enabled (yet again, another variable switch, with a new 3d model to be created). This is an unbelievably easy process in coding.

I don't see anything complicated about what I've mentioned.

As I've said already...

I don't know about you but I would rather see the hood on but down as opposed to lekku cutting through the hood. The only other option is to have a remodel on lekku placement with a hood and possibly a hood re texture to accommodate this. The latter being a big job and probably not a top priority considering all the lekku problems they had in beta.

Considering other "high priority" issues like emoting while mounted has been fixed, i don't see why the Twi'Lek Hood issue is less relevant.

It's beyond me minor issues like this was not fixed prior to release, considering the already limited customization options this MMO offer.

You should check out the developer tracker sometimes. The way fixes are rolled out are explained quite thoroughly there. Bug fixes are prioritized by complexity and many major bug fixes need testing where as emoting while mounted probably doesn't need as extensive testing and can be implemented sooner due to the simpler nature of the fix.

Edited by HomeSlixe

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not, but in beta, hoods WERE visible for Twi'leks. I had a hood on my Jedi Knight Twi'lek. The lekku cascaded out the back of the hood... basically it just looked like there were two holes cut into the back of the hood to accomodate the lekku. I thought this looked awesome!! I wish they would bring this back!! I would NOT want my toon's lekku hidden by a hood either, but I WOULD love to see the beta version of the Twi'lek hoods re-implemented.

Please bring back the Twi'lek hoods from beta, Bioware!!! *pleads on bended knee*

I too chose a Twi'lek thinking that bio ware would have done something creative with the hoods/helmets for the Twi'leks... I am very disapointed and almost ready to reroll.

I mean sure being a Twi'lek it's nice to show off the alien head. but I'd still like the option of the hood.

It would not be difficult to make the lekkus go towards the front if you have a hood on.

(also would be nice to hide the hood with settings... Currently only helmet is able to be hidden)

You should check out the developer tracker sometimes. The way fixes are rolled out are explained quite thoroughly there. Bug fixes are prioritized by complexity and many major bug fixes need testing where as emoting while mounted probably doesn't need as extensive testing and can be implemented sooner due to the simpler nature of the fix.

I read the explanation on why the mounted emotes were fixed and how bugs are prioritized. However i still question why other non gamebreaking bugfixes can be adressed, when something like this is ignored.

BW deliberately allowed Twi'Leks to become SI, by doing so they left a halffinished job.

Since enforcing other iconic appearences like lightsaber colors (I fully support this) seems like a big deal, it's just odd that the iconic hood or lack thereof is not addressed.

Guess it's all about numbers, Twi'lek players are just a minority.

Bumping this thread for justice.

This problem isn't only for hoods but also for helmets.

My level 40 Twi'lek Smuggler has his lekku clipping through every helmet. The worst I have seen is when a Scoundrel Twi'lek is wearing the PvP "cowboy hat" where the lekku stick right through the brim and looks horrible.

Eventually when I acquire that helmet I am going to have to disable helmets altogether which I have already done a few times due to how bad some of the helmets look with my tentacles clipping right through them causing very unappealing aesthetic looks.

Part of the reason I rolled a Smuggler was because of how they look, including their helmets. Similar to how anybody would roll a Jedi for the hoods. If they wanted to add the Twi'lek as a playable race then create models that work for us OR have a Twi'lek mod vendor that can change any helmet / robe into a model that works for Twi'leks.

As it stands now I want a race change. I would RATHER play Twi'lek but Bioware's blatant racism against our race is super lame. The fact that we don't even figure this out until we get a few helmets after 10-20 levels is also extremely stupid. Add a disclaimer at the very least that says "You are rolling a class with bugged helmets / hoods due to your lekku/tentacles, please consider rolling another race if this bothers you".