Leveling...

Sarfux

Bash the game all you want haters. But it is simply THE BEST "leveling experience" and journey with an ACTUAL story in an mmorpg EVER. For the few shortcomings this game has, you have to at least admit that.

Unfortunately that's all the game has going for it.

1-49: "Wow this is awesome."

50: Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Boring Operation, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Imbalanced PvP, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies...

other mmos 1-before level cap "this blows...but i guess my gear will be good at level cap though!!!!"

ya know...at least TOR gives you an EXPERIENCE throughout leveling that others don't do. That's a step in the right direction. You have to admit...

Bash the game all you want haters.
Any thread starting like this deserves all the jacking it gets.

SWTOR does have a leveling experience. I wasn't aware that was a rare phenomenon in the MMO industry, but yes, it has leveling. Whether it's the BEST experience depends on a few factors. Do you find yourself skipping entire planets because you did some side missions? Do you wake up and realize that a couple of days of Taspan Ambush and Skaross Fortification made all your quests con gray? Do you find yourself dazedly pewpewing through an old Flashpoint every day to grind Side and Affection? If so, you might conclude it's not the BEST leveling experience this side of the galaxy. Just a decent one.

It's certainly the first mmo where I have actually rolled multiple alts and have not gotten bored. Most mmo's I just stick to one character. This one I ahve 4 50's already one of which is completely decked out in WH gear and mixed Rakata/Campaign gear. The other 3 are mostly BM gear with a few pieces of WH.

It's certainly the first mmo where I have actually rolled multiple alts and have not gotten bored. Most mmo's I just stick to one character. This one I ahve 4 50's already one of which is completely decked out in WH gear and mixed Rakata/Campaign gear. The other 3 are mostly BM gear with a few pieces of WH.

Yeah, this! But I recognise that they should give out legacy perks to enable not getting experience, so people could do space combat or what they like without waking up on a grey galaxy!

I agree that 1-49 is the best MMO experience out there. That alone, however, is not enough to warrant a subscription. Many games out there offer a comparable story driven leveling experience without a subscription.

Very true although first time around I was surprised about how fast I got to the cap.

The stories do have different qualities though. The JK story still really stands out for me. It had a great end-game story in chapter 3, definitely compared to the (predictable) SW ending.

Having leveled a bunch of toons in AoC and SWG that were all basically the same experience, I can appreciate the different class stories. However, the class story is just a small part of leveling and everything else is about the same. Worse yet, they won't allow us to switch Advanced Class so I'm stuck leveling a 2nd Bounty Hunter which has proven to be very boring, and is going to prevent me from having 8 different class bonuses. Edited by Kourage

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. I've been playing MMOs for 10 years and I've had a hard time sticking with 1 character. With SWTOR I feel the storyline behind my class is the factor that keeps me playing. Its like reading a good book you don't want to put down.

Pac-man is harder to clear levels in, than this game.

The story is cute, but I didn't think an MMORPG was supposed to put the entire game/story on rails and run you through it. There isn't much sense of adventure, or exploration, just hitting play on a DVD player and watching the story go by.

It is fun, I don't mind rolling through things as a pass-time. And I don't begrudge folks really really loving it. But if asked for a point of view, that is one of mine. Not the greatest. But it is more enjoyable than some other games for button mashing. If they finally do shift the development of the game, into a more traditional MMORPG format, it will do much better.

Bash the game all you want haters. But it is simply THE BEST "leveling experience" and journey with an ACTUAL story in an mmorpg EVER. For the few shortcomings this game has, you have to at least admit that.

this +10

Pac-man is harder to clear levels in, than this game.

The story is cute, but I didn't think an MMORPG was supposed to put the entire game/story on rails and run you through it. There isn't much sense of adventure, or exploration, just hitting play on a DVD player and watching the story go by.

It is fun, I don't mind rolling through things as a pass-time. And I don't begrudge folks really really loving it. But if asked for a point of view, that is one of mine. Not the greatest. But it is more enjoyable than some other games for button mashing. If they finally do shift the development of the game, into a more traditional MMORPG format, it will do much better.

The idea of the story in a game is to take you through a story you love, letting you be the person in the story. The reason people love video games is that they get to be their own hero. This sort of storyline lets you do that. You can choose to be good or evil in a storyline that propels forward either way.

People already have a life to live. What they want is a chance to be the hero of a story. In that, SWTOR succeeds greatly.

The idea of the story in a game is to take you through a story you love, letting you be the person in the story. The reason people love video games is that they get to be their own hero.

Uhhh... I like video games because I like to game.

Story is for books and movies. If you want to serve story along side my game, great. But when you make the sole focus to the virtual exclusion of everything else, especially end-game, then you've failed to make an MMORPG; you've simply shoehorned one of your KOTOR games into a different genre.

50: Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Boring Operation, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies, Imbalanced PvP, Dailies, Dailies, Dailies...

IKR, unlike every other MMO made...oh wait...

Uhhh... I like video games because I like to game.

Story is for books and movies. If you want to serve story along side my game, great. But when you make the sole focus to the virtual exclusion of everything else, especially end-game, then you've failed to make an MMORPG; you've simply shoehorned one of your KOTOR games into a different genre.

Wow, im glad you told us, alot of us have spent years playing through the stories of multiple video games....and to think we were doing it wrong all this time.....

IKR, unlike every other MMO made...oh wait...

The difference is, this MMO poured a ton of resources into the leveling experience, the part we abandon. If those resources went into the end-game where they belonged then this game would be a lot more compelling.

Saying "But everyone else makes this stupid choice, too," doesn't make the choice any less stupid.

Wow, im glad you told us, alot of us have spent years playing through the stories of multiple video games....and to think we were doing it wrong all this time.....

You played those games. They're games. Where could I possibly be losing you?

Games are things you play. Story is fine, but you have to have your game-play in order first. If you put story above game-play, then you've done it wrong.

Pretty much how I feel in a nutshell.

Leveling in SWTOR is awesome. It's the first MMO where I feel a very strong connection to my character and feel like they are a CHARACTER and not just an avatar to slap gear on. That being said reaching 50 can be a little of a let down. You go from having so much to do and see to really just standing on the fleet dazed and wondering what next?

For me what's next is:

1) Dailies. 1.3 kind of made those 200 comm relics useless, but the Rakata stuff is nice. I mostly do them for the cash which I use for....

2) Gear customization. My Merc Healer has had his eye on a nice RD-15b set and I'm working towards getting the WH mods to make it happen. It's a damn long grind, but I don't mind the BALANCED PvP to get there.

3) PvP - Ranked and otherwise. Despite the QQ claiming PvP is an unbalanced mess I find it top notch. My Merc can outheal anything except the best geared Maras/Sents and 1v1 any tank class if need be. Getting into ranked games with a good team is just amazing and the class balance that exists when playing with a well-oiled group starts is great.

4) PvE Ops. I raid twice a week for 1.5-2.5 hours. It's the perfect length that I can get the kids to bed and finish a raid without having to sacrifice sleep. Our guild is filled with retired hardcore players and we all find it refreshing to be playing a game instead of having a second job.

5) Level my alts. If I don't feel like spending my 2-3 hours of nightly playtime doing 1-4 I can return to the excellent leveling experience. Maybe eventually I'll get bored once I'm on my 3rd or 4th 50, but I find it hard to be disappointed in a game that gives you 500-700 hours of playtime. And if I do I'll just play something else and log on twice a week to hang out with the guild and raid.

I disagree, I could remake characters quit a bit on WoW and it kept feeling fresh and fun.

But it doesn't really work with SWTOR. The talking and just the game in general feels like a single player game.

SWTOR would be a great RPG. It just fails as an MMO.