Could the Emperor be Palpatine?

Shotgonius

The Emperor has the ability to jump from body to body. So does Palpatine.

Both were very manipulative and plotted for a veeeery long time.

We don't know anything of Palpatine's birth, childhood, etc.

The Sith Emperor could have went back to the unknown regions, plotted for a long time. Bane comes along and makes the Rule of Two. Sith Emperor adjusts his plan accordingly. Works towards control rather than just the extermination of life. Maybe at some point he loses some of his power and needs to relearn how to stay alive for long periods of time so he learns from Darth Plagius, etc. He changes his name from Vitiate to Palpatine to avoid suspicion. Keeps plotting, kills the Jedi, etc.

Quote from Star Wars wiki:

"Eventually, Vitiate passed away, and thousands of years later, Darth Plagueis–himself obsessed with achieving immortality–mused that Vitiate was the only Sith Lord in existence who had come close to achieving the secret."

Maybe this was why Palpatine (if he was Vitiate) learned from him. So he could keep one body for a long period of time and not have to change hosts so often.

I think it is quite possible.

Discuss

Edited by Shotgonius

I hope to god that isn't the case, Sidious is so much more than Sidious 2.0 could ever be. Sidious was the benchmark of the Sith, don't drag him down to Karpyshyn's level.

I also imagine they'd never be allowed to do such a thing because of Chee and the like.

The Emperor has the ability to jump from body to body. So does Palpatine.

Both were very manipulative and plotted for a veeeery long time.

We don't know anything of Palpatine's birth, childhood, etc.

The Sith Emperor could have went back to the unknown regions, plotted for a long time. Bane comes along and makes the Rule of Two. Sith Emperor adjusts his plan accordingly. Works towards control rather than just the extermination of life. Maybe at some point he loses some of his power and needs to relearn how to stay alive for long periods of time so he learns from Darth Plagius, etc. He changes his name from Vitiate to Palpatine to avoid suspicion. Keeps plotting, kills the Jedi, etc.

Quote from Star Wars wiki:

"Eventually, Vitiate passed away, and thousands of years later, Darth Plagueis–himself obsessed with achieving immortality–mused that Vitiate was the only Sith Lord in existence who had come close to achieving the secret."

Maybe this was why Palpatine (if he was Vitiate) learned from him. So he could keep one body for a long period of time and not have to change hosts so often.

I think it is quite possible.

Discuss

Impossible, would contradict every other source of Palpatine's backstory and training including the novel Plagueis.

Also, the Emperor does not body hop like Palpatine, the Emperor simply projects himself onto a body from his main body so he can control and use it as he sees fit such as through the Voice and, to a lesser extent, the Hands. His main body is still alive and is the only immortal body but I do not think any one has seen it.

I'm not as lore knowledgeable as others about SWU lore, but don't we know about Palpatine's birth and family, contrary to what the OP says?

I remember something like him being born is 80ish BBY on Naboo to noble parents of House Palpatine. His father was a noble and a d-bag and Plagueis manipulated Palps into killing his father and becoming the new head of the House and having access to the family fortune,then he wiped out the rest of his family(mother and a sister ,I think).

If I am remembering that correctly it pretty much tanks the Vitiate is Palpatine theory, not that I would have put much stock in it anyways. If Vitiate was indeed Palpatine why would he sit back and watch his first Empire eventually crumble, allow Ruin to create his own Empire from the ashes of Vitiate's without trying to worm his way into power, allow Bane to create the Rule of Two Sith without killing Bane and taking power and so on and so on.

Edited by Temeluchus

I'm not as lore knowledgeable as others about SWU lore, but don't we know about Palpatine's birth and family, contrary to what the OP says?

I remember something like him being born is 80ish BBY on Naboo to noble parents of House Palpatine. His father was a noble and a d-bag and Plagueis manipulated Palps into killing his father and becoming the new head of the House and having access to the family fortune,then he wiped out the rest of his family(mother and a sister ,I think).

If I am remembering that correctly it pretty much tanks the Vitiate is Palpatine theory, not that I would have put much stock in it anyways. If Vitiate was indeed Palpatine why would he sit back and watch his first Empire eventually crumble, allow Ruin to create his own Empire from the ashes of Vitiate's without trying to worm his way into power, allow Bane to create the Rule of Two Sith without killing Bane and taking power and so on and so on.

Yea we know all of it.

Can't see Bioware being given permission to make such a change in the story/EU or whatever.

It's too much and I can see a lot of already written novels taking a hit and contradicting them, it doesn't work and as it might satisfy a lot of the movie fans it doesn't satisfy the story in general justice. So many other options like the option of just making a new character for the Emperor, is that so bad? Do we really need to bring back some character we've already met before to make the story more juicy? I don't think so, I think a new character works just fine.

Sure hell, it could be Darth Maul......;)

I hope to god that isn't the case, Sidious is so much more than Sidious 2.0 could ever be. Sidious was the benchmark of the Sith, don't drag him down to Karpyshyn's level.

I also imagine they'd never be allowed to do such a thing because of Chee and the like.

It might not be fair to blame Karpyshyn for this one. I can't find a creator listed for Tenebrae/Vitiate. If Drew didn't create the character, he may have been using established lore from the actual creator for Vitiate's character when he wrote the novel.

Not totally impossible, concerning the concept of the new emperor. But I doubt it - Darth Sidious has a total different vision of the empire, and it would not explain, why the Sith still seek for immortality in his time or later.