In the grand scheme of things...it's not that big a deal

MegaBubble

Let's set aside the fact that all of us had the equal opportunity to pre-order on day one, right when pre-orders were announced. Ignore the fact that BioWare has been saying all along, "the order in which you redeem your pre-order codes is the order in which you'll be granted early access". And give no heed to the truth that rewarding loyal customers is not only a good idea for a company, it's an often-used and generally accepted tactic to encourage players to be "brand loyal". (Many games have a "veteran reward" system for example, and Planetside 2 is even granting first rights to beta access to those who are currently subbed to the original Planetside.). Let's just sweep all those hard facts under the rug for a moment.

Now, I know we're all eager and anxious to play TOR - I certainly am. But if you're anything like me, you play your MMOs anywhere from 3 to 5 years. That said, is a few days - or in the case of some of the complaints I've seen, a few hours - of missed playtime really that big of a deal? Even if you're nothing like me, you'll still probably play the game a good six months or so. (And if that's all you play them for, a few days missed should be even less of a deal to you due to your limited investment in the game.)

So some other guys hit 50 before you? So some other guild gets that "server first" on downing a world boss? Frankly speaking, if you're that obsessed over the idea of being first, then you should have been, well, first. the only person you've got to blame for the fact that you aren't playing right now is yourself, so grow up and own that fact and stop pointing the finger at everybody else.

The reality of the matter is, a year from now its not going to make a sniff of difference in your character's progression that someone else has played 368 days and you've only played 365.

Edited by MegaBubble

All that said I suppose it is a little easier for me to preach patience since I got my invite already (though I'm stuck at work. :( ) But even without it - I'd be annoyed and frustrated sure, but blaming BioWare? It would be my own fault for not pre-ordering sooner. The early bird catches the worm and all that.

You had me all the way up to the point you said you had your code already, then it just seemed like a Nelson Muntz "Ha Ha!" moment.

I would tell you to check my posting history to verify the fact that I tend to usually be level-headed regardless whether things are in my favor or not, but alas, they've all been wiped with the forum change.

At any rate, the validity of my point still stands; I don't have to be standing in a long line at the supermarket to know that it isn't worth throwing a tantrum over.

Perspective and patience!!! To bad people are so short fused these days. can you imagine what these people would of done before cell phones and internets? when you had to send a physical letter or call a house phone?

Good days though. Just me and my Colecovision.

Getting a high bloodpressure due to a serious need to play a game does not bode well for the future.

Actually you couldn't be more incorrect. Let's try a thought experiment for a moment. Do you remember what launch week was like in WoW? Anyone who was there does, they remember it vividly. Do you remember what week 8 of WoW release was like? What zone you were in? Who you were playing with and meeting? No you don't.

The launch of an MMO in the grand scheme of things is a very big deal.

I was in a coma for the last 2 weeks of July but that aside it is not a big deal. Release day this will all be forgotten about, and we'll probably have some new drama to complain about.

Yikes. Well that'll give you enough perspective on life to appreciate that a few days of lost playing time aren't a big deal for sure. My father-in-law was just in a diabetic coma 2 weeks ago; after 45 minutes of working on him the paramedics were able to bring him back. When you reflect on how badly that day could have turned out, when I get into early game access pales in comparison. Anyway, glad to hear you came out of it alright, mate.

This stagger approach to letting people into an mmo is a bad idea. I planned to play with my friends and now they're going to be hours ahead of me. So if i wanna catch up i have to either make them stop or neglect other things.

You are right, of course. Its just a game and it isn't a big deal. However that doesn't mean the people who are upset don't have a right to be upset.

Its not a big deal when your cable service goes down. You may even be asked to wait a day or two because its a busy time of the year and you will be serviced in the order you called. It is not acceptable for a cable company to call you and say...."Well, we'll get to you between 4AM pacific and.....the 20th of December. I don't mind waiting my turn. What I do mind is not being told even in the most broadest of terms when my window is going to open. That way I

,m not chained to this fu*()#$ computer waiting for an invite that may or may not come in an hour or 3 fricken days. I don't have a week to waste waiting patiently. I have a life and in order to play I have to clear my schedule. I can't clear a phvcking week. And while its no big deal in the grand scheme of things because there are people getting killed in Africa for no better reason that being the "wrong" religion. There are children starving to death in third world countries and small kids getting abused by parents. That doesn't mean this is right just because we atempt to minimize this. And if this control freak like way of d1king over joe consumer because you are too incompetetant to just use simple addition, count preorders and then estimate bandwidth needs accodingly. I fear for the future of this game when decisions like this are considered "ok".

Your first thirty days are crucial for MMO releases. It often determines the long term success or failure of a new mmo for the simple fact that there are too many alternative games to play and people don't need to put up with being put in a 5 hour que to play your game. They will leave and play something else. And to those that say, "Good. Leave then". Keep in mind your 15 a month will not float this game alone. They need those subscibers as they fund future content.

Again to be clear because I know there are morons here who can't read very well. I don't mind waiting. I mind being told my wait is a week long window that can open at any time. I hope the "genius" who hatched that brain child gets a taste of his own medicine. I know my review of this game is going to suffer because of it.

Actually you couldn't be more incorrect. Let's try a thought experiment for a moment. Do you remember what launch week was like in WoW? Anyone who was there does, they remember it vividly. Do you remember what week 8 of WoW release was like? What zone you were in? Who you were playing with and meeting? No you don't.

The launch of an MMO in the grand scheme of things is a very big deal.

Your logic here is flawed, mate. Whether or not you "remember what it was like" isn't the barometer that shold be used to determine how big a deal it is. Whether you get early access on the 13th or the 20th, you're still going to remember your personal launch experience. You don't lose out on that just because you weren't the first one to play.

If anything, the impact that missing out on a few days has on your character, and your overall enjoyment of the game is what should be used to gauge how big of a deal it is. Do you look back on launch week of WoW and think, "Boy, I'm sure glad I was there on week one or my character would be all messed up now"? Or, "If I hadn't gotten in on day one, I wouldn't be enjoying this game as much as I am now". Nope, you don't (unless you have issues.). Do you know why?

Because being the "first" isn't a big deal. Whether you get in today, tomorrow, or Friday, you're still "in at launch". Its your personal experience with the launch of the game that "matters" to you (if THAT even matters) not that "I got in on the first wave of the first day".

You are right, of course. Its just a game and it isn't a big deal. However that doesn't mean the people who are upset don't have a right to be upset.

Its not a big deal when your cable service goes down. You may even be asked to wait a day or two because its a busy time of the year and you will be serviced in the order you called. It is not acceptable for a cable company to call you and say...."Well, we'll get to you between 4AM pacific and.....the 20th of December. I don't mind waiting my turn. What I do mind is not being told even in the most broadest of terms when my window is going to open. That way I

,m not chained to this fu*()#$ computer waiting for an invite that may or may not come in an hour or 3 fricken days. I don't have a week to waste waiting patiently. I have a life and in order to play I have to clear my schedule. I can't clear a phvcking week. And while its no big deal in the grand scheme of things because there are people getting killed in Africa for no better reason that being the "wrong" religion. There are children starving to death in third world countries and small kids getting abused by parents. That doesn't mean this is right just because we atempt to minimize this. And if this control freak like way of d1king over joe consumer because you are too incompetetant to just use simple addition, count preorders and then estimate bandwidth needs accodingly. I fear for the future of this game when decisions like this are considered "ok".

Your first thirty days are crucial for MMO releases. It often determines the long term success or failure of a new mmo for the simple fact that there are too many alternative games to play and people don't need to put up with being put in a 5 hour que to play your game. They will leave and play something else. And to those that say, "Good. Leave then". Keep in mind your 15 a month will not float this game alone. They need those subscibers as they fund future content.

Again to be clear because I know there are morons here who can't read very well. I don't mind waiting. I mind being told my wait is a week long window that can open at any time. I hope the "genius" who hatched that brain child gets a taste of his own medicine. I know my review of this game is going to suffer because of it.

You've missed the entire point of the OP. I'm not saying it isn't a big deal in the "grand scheme" of life in the world, although obviously it isn't. It isn't even a big deal in the grand scheme of TOR's lifespan. Let's say you don't stay chained to the"fu*()#$ computer" waiting for your invite. Let's say you check your emails twice a day, and do whatever else in the meantime. ...So now you've potentially missed out on a whopping 12 hours of gameplay, in a game that you'll probably be playing for at least a full year.

THAT'S why it isn't a big deal. Not because people are starving and dying, but because like I said in the OP - a year from now it won't make a bit of difference that you've only played 365 days and some other guy that got in before you has played 368. You weren't given a window of "maybe now, maybe next month", there's a small window of a few days, and you're being emailed when you can play. If the logic of all that I've said escapes you then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but in the grand scheme of the life cycle of an MMO, it REALLY isn't that big of a deal.