Sorc/Sage heals need to be returned to pre 1.2, other heals need buffs

BurnsTwoThree

What needs to be done immediatly is all three healers need to come closer together in survivability so they are all equally good choices for rated. Thing is if they do it for healers who is to say they shouldn't do it for tanks or DPS? They do need to do it for all the roles.

Rated have become about who can bring more or less of 2 classes. Don't bring them and suffer a loss. If the game is about objectives then why does the presence of certain advanced classes have such a profound and consitent effect on the outcome of ranked WZs?

I see people lamenting they are loosing rated warzones because they are undergeared. It's not primarily because you are undergeared , it's primarily because you are going into rateds with either less DPS classes or no healers. By no healers I mean that if the healer types you brought are getting destroyed instantly then they are not healing you and it's the same as not bringing any healers at all.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 50/50 BM and WH gear.

I have no problem being good.

I eat sorcs/sages for breakfast because most are bad, but rolled it at launch because they expected them to be the most OP, when in reality they are one of the best balanced..

Sure, we enter a match and I need a guard + 2 people trying to peel **** off me...... But hell, that lets our scoundrel free cast and noone to guard their healers while our dps rolls through.. I kite as long as I can... I die, I sprint right back into combat before they decide to look for a non sage to kill.

I'm about 50/50 BM and WH gear.

I have no problem being good.

I eat sorcs/sages for breakfast because most are bad, but rolled it at launch because they expected them to be the most OP, when in reality they are one of the best balanced..

Sure, we enter a match and I need a guard + 2 people trying to peel **** off me...... But hell, that lets our scoundrel free cast and noone to guard their healers while our dps rolls through.. I kite as long as I can... I die, I sprint right back into combat before they decide to look for a non sage to kill.

so what youre saying is being good at our class is being a meatshield?

yah, kiting and dying is part of our strategic moves. We are great at luring people away so they can get their easy kill, iits too damn tempting for them. It looks like this (new sorc rotation):

/wave

/resurg

/sprint

(get rooted)

/release

(run behind obstacle)

/cast heal (you hope)

/resurge

(make comment about how terrible the dps is that he has to stun you)

/heal

(continue kiting away from node)

/sprint

/resurge (desperate)

/pot

/stuck (so he doesn't get credit for the kill and you get back faster?

There you have it, the life of a sorc heal one v one.

Healers have it the hardest in this game right now. Period.

Expertise favors DPS classes giving the most scaling to PvP damage boost. (24.48% damage vs 13.57% healing boost @ 1332 expertise).

Main Stat scaling favors DPS classes (859 Bonus Damage vs 655 Bonus Healing)

Healers have to work against the 30% reduced incoming healing debuff known as Trauma.

If there is a mara/sent add another 20% trauma debuff on top of that.

And on top of that healers have to try to keep themselves up along w/ the rest of their group.

The deck is stacked largely against healers right off the bat.

Our defensive abilities arent that great guys.

Our defensive utilities include a shield which absorbs ~3k damage with a 20 second CD.

A sprint on 30 second cooldown which does not remove roots, is subject to snares and slows, and can be stopped with charges, and pulls.

Our knockback does not have the root unless we drop the AOE heal which no sorc in their right mind will do. Its the most powerful aspect of our class along with our friendly pull. The knockback is really only useful in hutball where u can get people off the ledge your on. The breathing room it provides on mostly level surface maps like civil war, novare coast, and voidstar is honestly not good at all. It not enough time to even get a fast cast dark heal off.

Then we have a slow 50% for 6 seconds lasts for 12. Can be purged, can be negated by leaps, pulls or by applying your own slow.

Our stun is good its from range but can be CC broken like any other classes.

Our whirlwind is a single target long duration CC that breaks on damage and again...has a gosh darn cast time. Unlike an operatives AOE INSTANT cast long duration CC that breaks on damage.

Edited by TheLordMaster

Expertise favors DPS classes giving the most scaling to PvP damage boost. (24.48% damage vs 13.57% healing boost @ 1332 expertise).

Healers have to work against the 30% reduced incoming healing debuff known as Trauma.

And on top of that healers have to try to keep themselves up along w/ the rest of their group.

Our defensive utilities include a shield which absorbs ~3k damage with a 20 second CD.

A sprint on 30 second cooldown which does not remove roots, is subject to snares and slows, and can be stopped with charges, and pulls.

Our knockback does not have the root unless we drop the AOE heal which no sorc in their right mind will do. Its the most powerful aspect of our class along with our friendly pull. The knockback is really only useful in hutball where u can get people off the ledge your on. The breathing room it provides on mostly level surface maps like civil war, novare coast, and voidstar is honestly not good at all. It not enough time to even get a fast cast dark heal off.

Then we have a slow 50% for 6 seconds lasts for 12. Can be purged, can be negated by leaps, pulls or by applying your own slow.

Our whirlwind is a single target long duration CC that breaks on damage and again...has a gosh darn cast time. Unlike an operatives AOE INSTANT cast long duration CC that breaks on damage.

Great post, highlights all the disadvantages

Watching you clueless bads discuss balance hurts my head.

Healers do tank a lot of damage. Why? Because they are extremely powerful. This is not a sign of weakness, this is a sign of strength. You are important. The only way you're going to ever get less focus, the only time when your whines about being interrupted and dogpiled will end, is when you contribute less, instead of more, than the rest of the players on your team. Then I will be taking them out first instead.

As a DPS, my job is to take down important targets. Ball carriers, door cappers, other DPS shredding my teams healers, and yes, you. In a team scenario, you have many defenses against me. You can cc, you can cross heal, you can receive guard, many classes can taunt off of you, or peel off of you, I can be pulled, knocked back, or your dps can just kill me first.

Healers aren't supposed to tank. Spamming self-heal is a narrow minded 1v1 irrelevancy. You should be trying to escape your attackers. And if you're failing, it's probably your teams fault, not yours. YOU are not the one that needs the buff. That will just make you an even more important target. If anything needs a buff, it's the ability of the team to protect you.

The level of play at the ranked WZ level is very high. I expect the L2P debate will die a long-overdue death shortly, as we see what compositions dominate. For my part, I put my money on literally every team including a mix of healers, tanks, and dps.

Edited by Ahhmyface

To all the people saying Sorcs are fine...

If sorcs are so good, why do you see so few DPS sorc/sages in rated?

More like why dont they shelf their classes and roll one for rated?

I was in lowbie zone other day and every new guy was a Sorc... honest. :rolleyes:

Good post. I'd add to it though:

- Our knockback is 8 metres only and telegraphed with stupid animation like a drunk aiming a punch. Give me commando knockback any day please. Even melee have 10m range hits (like vicous throw) that will crit me for 4 - 5k.

- Our HoT is weak sauce, the heal can be negated from 30m by an operative healers auto attack damage

- Our DoTs are weaker than marauders and last too long, too easlly purged so in a 1v1 I might as well throw marshmallows at true DPS classes.

- There is so little chance I'm fighting a class that doesn't have leaps, pull, roots, multiple snares, multiple stuns that kiting is virtually impossible UNLESS I have every cool down available to me and have specced away from AoE heal to get extra utility

- I'm unlikely to have most of my cooldowns though as even outside of rated sorc/sage healer might as well be permanently marked with "free kill" in red neon

Healers do tank a lot of damage. Why? Because they are extremely powerful. This is not a sign of weakness, this is a sign of strength. You are important. The only way you're going to ever get less focus, the only time when your whines about being interrupted and dogpiled will end, is when you contribute less, instead of more, than the rest of the players on your team. Then I will be taking them out first instead.

Watching this clueless bad discuss healers hurts my head. The issue isnt the fact we get dogpiled we never said we wantt o be gods its 1v1 we are still gwetting rocked. So maybe ahhmyface you should read the whole thread instead of 3 posts on the second to last page and think you have anything to contribute

Healers aren't supposed to tank. Spamming self-heal is a narrow minded 1v1 irrelevancy. You should be trying to escape your attackers. And if you're failing, it's probably your teams fault, not yours. YOU are not the one that needs the buff. That will just make you an even more important target. If anything needs a buff, it's the ability of the team to protect you.

Once again you fail to see from the healer perspective and reading the thread for this has already been discussed. We simply cant get away the majority of the time for reaosns already stated but of course you missed them

Edited by IsletsReborn

Seriously this is an ENTERTAINMENT service. Why is it so hard to understand being completly dependant on others is no FUN.

What do these preconceptions of how things have to be balanced have anything to do with what they are selling us?

We are not playing D&D and have to follow soem predetermined rule set of DPS classes that anhillate everyone else.

If we were staying true to Star Wars lore Sage/Sorcs are Jedi/Sith and should destroy everybody not be owned by everybody.

Good post. I'd add to it though:

- Our knockback is 8 metres only and telegraphed with stupid animation like a drunk aiming a punch. Give me commando knockback any day please. Even melee have 10m range hits (like vicous throw) that will crit me for 4 - 5k.

- Our HoT is weak sauce, the heal can be negated from 30m by an operative healers auto attack damage

- Our DoTs are weaker than marauders and last too long, too easlly purged so in a 1v1 I might as well throw marshmallows at true DPS classes.

- There is so little chance I'm fighting a class that doesn't have leaps, pull, roots, multiple snares, multiple stuns that kiting is virtually impossible UNLESS I have every cool down available to me and have specced away from AoE heal to get extra utility

- I'm unlikely to have most of my cooldowns though as even outside of rated sorc/sage healer might as well be permanently marked with "free kill" in red neon

on the knockback, it is telegraphed and the attacker just leaps/charges right back in our face

As a DPS, my job is to take down important targets. Ball carriers, door cappers, other DPS shredding my teams healers, and yes, you. In a team scenario, you have many defenses against me. You can cc, you can cross heal, you can receive guard, many classes can taunt off of you, or peel off of you, I can be pulled, knocked back, or your dps can just kill me first.

The level of play at the ranked WZ level is very high. I expect the L2P debate will die a long-overdue death shortly, as we see what compositions dominate. For my part, I put my money on literally every team including a mix of healers, tanks, and dps.

Thanks for outlining how completely dependent we are on others to babysit us. Your perspective as a dps really helps our argument. Bravo sir.

Thanks for outlining how completely dependent we are on others to babysit us. Your perspective as a dps really helps our argument. Bravo sir.

I don't believe that he understands that we can (from time to time) get away from people. We can get time to cast.

The issue is when we do take damage and by chance get away from a DPS our heals are too slow and too weak to get us to a relatively safe amount of health.

We should not EVER get hit instantly to near 30% health, get away... cast 2 spells that unless they crit will only bring us back to 50% health just so another DPS can get on us and blow us up. The issue has nothing to do with peels.

I seem to find DPS just do not want to go back to the days when they actually had to be good to kill a good heals. They always have some idea or thought as to why healers are dying quickly and most of the time it could not be any further from the reality of it all which sort of bothers me.

To all the people saying Sorcs are fine...

If sorcs are so good, why do you see so few DPS sorc/sages in rated?

We're not discussing DPS Sorc/Sage. This is purely about how incredibly underpowered we (healers) are compared to the damage that can be put out.

Edited by BurnsTwoThree

Healers end up tanking in pvp because we're the first priority to kill, over even the tanks. Tanks in pvp are only debuff machines, and in SWTOR dps can do so much damage that even debuffed they can pretty much safely ignore the tank and go kill the healer first.

There is no escaping dps in rated...if they are focusing you then you are going to die.

basically our job is to get as far away from the objective so atleast our teammates will one less dps for a second.

I have been nick named sage tank by my guildies because I seem to have the best agro abilities in the game.

Now I just need cool downs and defense stats and we are good to go.

Not sure bw gets it. they keep listening to dps about how are healer is op.

If they would have listened to what the healers were saying this wouldnt have happened. So basically we just have to hope the devs get a clue and help make pvp more enjoyable by all classes.

There is no escaping dps in rated...if they are focusing you then you are going to die.

basically our job is to get as far away from the objective so atleast our teammates will one less dps for a second.

I have been nick named sage tank by my guildies because I seem to have the best agro abilities in the game.

Now I just need cool downs and defense stats and we are good to go.

Not sure bw gets it. they keep listening to dps about how are healer is op.

If they would have listened to what the healers were saying this wouldnt have happened. So basically we just have to hope the devs get a clue and help make pvp more enjoyable by all classes.

Problem is- most DPS are so terrible they don't even want to learn how to focus healers, they aren't in WH gear and they don't have augments. It's the good DPS, in top gear who are doing 5k+ crit on 3-5 different abilities, who can kill you in seconds by themself- even with four healers cross healing, two or three WH dps who focus will kill a healer because there simply isn't enough time for our small hots and long cast heals to actually take effect.

Even in full BM, I am now seeing multiple classes who in full WH are able to kill me in the length of a CC lock- whether that be stun, roots, snares and/or leap combos and that's even with my CC breaker up to use on one of them. Average TTK time on well geared players should never be less than 10 seconds- it's now ALWAYS less than 10 seconds.

Yet- our bubble and heals don't scale very well, we still have that trauma debuff gobbling up a massive percentage of what we can heal despite DPS continuing to skyrocket unchecked- and in the end it doesn't really matter because you won't get off a heal, and those you do like our HoT are simply weak- sorry, but 200 healing every 3 seconds on a hot with a CD? You can auto attack twice per tick, both times for more than that.

Simply put- pvp is NOT fun when you are completely nullified the moment anyone decides to look at you. You shouldn't be effective in PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER only when you are not facing any PLAYERS- I've never seen an mmo where healers were so massively disadvantaged in every way.

-30% healing debuff

-extremely limited healing choices (you will spam one heal, because it's the one effective thing)

-zero defensive CDs

-all enemies have multiple CC, perma snaring ability, and extremely low CD interrupts

-TTK for geared DPS on an 18k health player is around the time it would take for that player to get off two or maybe even three 3.5k average heals, if they weren't interrupted (which they will be)- good luck surviving that burst

The problem with this game is Weapon Damage. It's scaled so far ahead of pure force damage (Sage/Sorc) that it's not even funny. Then when you combine it with another type of damage, it's pure Over Powered.

Take for example a Knight/Warrior using Sweep/Smash. It states it's "Force Damage" but in reality it's based off of Weapon damage (because the weapon has to be swung) combined with Force damage. Resulting in crits for almost 7k in rated on up to 5 targets (personal experience from a Rated match. I have 1200+ expertise in WH gear as a Sage).

Take the example of BH/VG dps. It's ALL weapon based damage in reality because they technically have to "Shoot" you to do the damage. Again, this shows, weapon damage is so far ahead pure "Force" damage. The same can be said for Scoundrel/Operative damage as well.

Throw in the fact that none of it is hard cast, can be done instantly, and while on the move and you start to see where and why pure Force users are at disadvantage.

BW is double dipping damage for weapon users. There seems to be additive stacking of Weapon damage + Force/Kenetic/Internal/Tech damage resulting in excessive dps for classes that actually use their weapon. Throw in the fact that it's all instant with no hard casting and you have what we currently have for balance.

We haven't even thrown defensive CDs into the picture.

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded - PM'd

The problem with this game is Weapon Damage. It's scaled so far ahead of pure force damage (Sage/Sorc) that it's not even funny. Then when you combine it with another type of damage, it's pure Over Powered.

Take for example a Knight/Warrior using Sweep/Smash. It states it's "Force Damage" but in reality it's based off of Weapon damage (because the weapon has to be swung) combined with Force damage. Resulting in crits for almost 7k in rated on up to 5 targets (personal experience from a Rated match. I have 1200+ expertise in WH gear as a Sage).

Take the example of BH/VG dps. It's ALL weapon based damage in reality because they technically have to "Shoot" you to do the damage. Again, this shows, weapon damage is so far ahead pure "Force" damage. The same can be said for Scoundrel/Operative damage as well.

Throw in the fact that none of it is hard cast, can be done instantly, and while on the move and you start to see where and why pure Force users are at disadvantage.

BW is double dipping damage for weapon users. There seems to be additive stacking of Weapon damage + Force/Kenetic/Internal/Tech damage resulting in excessive dps for classes that actually use their weapon. Throw in the fact that it's all instant with no hard casting and you have what we currently have for balance.

I think BW just got logic'd

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

... I actually hadn't even thought about it- I was thinking it seemed like weapon users scale abnormally in this game, but now it makes perfect sense why they do.

You might actually get BW on the double dipping thing- I mean, when it comes to double dipping, BW comes out in force to smash it into obliteration and then piss on whatever's left..

Oh force bending double dips, why'd you have to be fixed by removing my 1.5 second DI altogether?.... oh, right, you had to because BW couldn't figure out how to give us a 1.5 second DI without it double dipping, so they fixed it by breaking it entirely.

Edited by Sireene
quote of edited post

@OP very good post but it will fall in deaf ears, only people playing healers at the top level understand the problem and most have been so far shielded by the fact we always play on premades and more often than not come against less than perfect opposition.

This has all changed with 1.3, now there are no horrible pugs that don't focus fire or ignore the healers, even with a guard the effect of 3 or more DPS on you with stuns and interrupts is pretty much instant death.

We knew this was coming as we all have come up against that when by luck we used to get 2 premades vs us, we lack utility and TTK is been designed around horrid pugs that can't focus fire, understand how to burst DPS or use their interrupts.

These are 2 distinct issues, and IMHO the TTK problem is more important to me as a healer and a player than the lack of healing utility.

You can make any changes to healing utility you want, make our heals instant cast, double the healing power, none of this would matter if you pretty much vaporize the moment 3 DPS in augmented Rated WH gear focus you.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need more utility, not more HPS but more utility, I think compared to a priest in that other game we have laughable variety in heals, we even have less useful heals than a holy paladin in TBC, maybe even vanilla!

This also impacts fun in PvE but that's a whole different topic, I don't feel healing is fluid enough in this game, in PvP this is very noticeable but it's specially boring for PvE, it reminds me of when CoH was overpowered and I was reduced to a CoH spamming bot during WotLK.

The problem with getting action is that there is an intense hatred of healers in this game, I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I have played many games in which PvP was the focus, many Korean MMOs in which PvP combat was the entire end game content and never I've seen anyone hate healers the way they do here, even when we were far more powerful there.

We have people like the extremely hateful and irrational professor welsh, who does nothing but spread lies and hate for our archetype. What motivates these people? Have they never played an MMO before and expect FPS like TTK?

A lot of my PvP guild friends were competitive CS players, yet I've never before heard them complain TTK was too slow or hate healers. What is different here?

Oh force bending double dips, why'd you have to be fixed by removing my 1.5 second DI altogether?.... oh, right, you had to because BW couldn't figure out how to give us a 1.5 second DI without it double dipping, so they fixed it by breaking it entirely.

Believe it or not that allowed us to be mobile. The numbers we're 2-3k higher in PvP before but it still gave us the chance to move a little and get a quick large cast off. Is it really going to hurt in Ranked PvP to give us one big fast heal that requires another heal to be cast preceding it? Especially when multiple people are taking a ton of damage. Come on now..

Believe it or not that allowed us to be mobile. The numbers we're 2-3k higher in PvP before but it still gave us the chance to move a little and get a quick large cast off. Is it really going to hurt in Ranked PvP to give us one big fast heal that requires another heal to be cast preceding it? Especially when multiple people are taking a ton of damage. Come on now..

... are you kidding?

Is it going to hurt us to have our good heal be able to proc every 6 seconds after an instant HoT for 1.5 second cast time rather than 2.5 second casttime?

Is that a serious question?

Is getting a 1.5 second heal off easier than getting a 2.5 second heal off, will it get the heal off faster on someone who is being focused?

I'd personally think that's a rhetorical question- but you seem to be honestly saying that by increasing the length of all our casts of DI we have become more mobile.

Can you explain that? 'We have to spend more time standing still healing so we spend less time standing still', I must be missing something.

@OP very good post but it will fall in deaf ears, only people playing healers at the top level understand the problem and most have been so far shielded by the fact we always play on premades and more often than not come against less than perfect opposition.

This has all changed with 1.3, now there are no horrible pugs that don't focus fire or ignore the healers, even with a guard the effect of 3 or more DPS on you with stuns and interrupts is pretty much instant death.

We knew this was coming as we all have come up against that when by luck we used to get 2 premades vs us, we lack utility and TTK is been designed around horrid pugs that can't focus fire, understand how to burst DPS or use their interrupts.

These are 2 distinct issues, and IMHO the TTK problem is more important to me as a healer and a player than the lack of healing utility.

You can make any changes to healing utility you want, make our heals instant cast, double the healing power, none of this would matter if you pretty much vaporize the moment 3 DPS in augmented Rated WH gear focus you.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need more utility, not more HPS but more utility, I think compared to a priest in that other game we have laughable variety in heals, we even have less useful heals than a holy paladin in TBC, maybe even vanilla!

This also impacts fun in PvE but that's a whole different topic, I don't feel healing is fluid enough in this game, in PvP this is very noticeable but it's specially boring for PvE, it reminds me of when CoH was overpowered and I was reduced to a CoH spamming bot during WotLK.

The problem with getting action is that there is an intense hatred of healers in this game, I've never experienced anything quite like it.

I have played many games in which PvP was the focus, many Korean MMOs in which PvP combat was the entire end game content and never I've seen anyone hate healers the way they do here, even when we were far more powerful there.

We have people like the extremely hateful and irrational professor welsh, who does nothing but spread lies and hate for our archetype. What motivates these people? Have they never played an MMO before and expect FPS like TTK?

A lot of my PvP guild friends were competitive CS players, yet I've never before heard them complain TTK was too slow or hate healers. What is different here?

I think this game has attracted the lowest common denominator- I think it's a bunch of CoD players who aren't used to not being able to kill everything in a few seconds. It is pretty bizarre- and you'll notice that none of them have anything logical to say.

I mean- you have Walsh who will in the same post continue his hate for healers, saying they should be easy to solo kill because their only purpose is to rely on others and keep DPS alive... that the TTK isn't bad at all... then he'll say 'every class, even DPS with immunity defensives dies in a couple seconds'.

If every class is dying in a few seconds that's a perfectly good reason to do something about the insanely low TTK- but, that would mean a nerf to damage- and that would be unacceptable.

Problem is that the devs share that- every time you see them asked about DPS their eyes grow wide with wonder and they have nothing but good things to say- ask them about healing and they get that look of loathing and redirect conversation to another topic. We're playing a game where the makers do not like the healing role- I mean, that should have been obvious the moment they put in the first ever permanent mortal strike debuff for healers in pvp- that is up no matter what, all the time.

If you told healers in WoW 'you get to have mortal strike on you at all times- and some classes can put a second mortal strike on you that stacks with that', they'd say you were joking because that's the stupidest thing ever... that DPS still cannot handle healers and ask for nerfs on this forum just speaks to how terrible the DPS players are in this game- you've had the game handed to you on a silver platter, and you're whining that it's not gold.

PvP in this game is done- it's not going to get better, BW doesn't make good decisions, it'll be f2p in a year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.