Loot Rules

Need (locked to class)

Companion (just above greed, lets people greed if they don't care whether their companion gets it or not so they don't have to pass if someone goes "can I have this for my companion?")

Greed (for everyone)

Which is what people have been saying since beta.

^This. "I need the cash I can get by selling it" should not be part of the definition of "Need" in a NBG loot roll.

IA slightly different example. I did a raid a while back. One of my guildies decided to gear up a bit one of his alts. But when the time came, oops.... no, the op leader told him that he couldn't roll on stuff because people's mains had priority. I understand the reasoning behind it, but that sucked regardless. He worked just as hard as everybody else and got shafted because some sort of arbitrary reason.

I think I would have left the raid immediately and then seriously considered a /gquit.

I would like to see a system to restrict the need button on items that are class specific. This game has smart loot, it will determine what drops based on the classes in the group - not their companions or alts. It is intended as a reward for members of that class. If they don't want it they can greed/pass and it is open to others via a normal greed roll. A seperate companion button might also make sense.

I had this happen on a final boss - lost a trooper helm to a sage. Up to that point everyone had need/greed/pass 'correctly' so there was no indication of a problem. OK +1 for the ignore list and move on, at least I still get BH comms and other rewards, but the game could prevent such issues.

• 3 weeks later...
I totally agree that the loot rules need to be changed. If ,say a token drops and it is for your class then fine need all you want. But if if you need it for a companion then you greed. It's not that hard. Need needs to be restricted to class only items. It took me 4 days to get a token for legs because the 3 times it did drop some ignorant moron just needed on it for whatever reason. This abuse of the system needs to stop.

I totally agree that the loot rules need to be changed. If ,say a token drops and it is for your class then fine need all you want. But if if you need it for a companion then you greed. It's not that hard. Need needs to be restricted to class only items. It took me 4 days to get a token for legs because the 3 times it did drop some ignorant moron just needed on it for whatever reason. This abuse of the system needs to stop.

I'm curious here (not trying to troll or anything).

Did you guys discuss loot beforehand?

After he needed on it, did you ask him about it? Was it by mistake? Was he being a jerk?

A little tip, the leader can change the loot mode from "threshold" to "master" which will require the leader to pick who the gear goes to of that class. If the leader isn't the same class as you ask them to switch the mode if you are playing for gear, this is generally only used in ops though.

I myself hate the threshold mode, there should be a default mode where the gear automatically goes to a random person of that advanced class, only being able to change it to threshold when the group agrees to it (for farming or comp gear etc).

Edited by FlyinSpaghetti

A little tip, the leader can change the loot mode from "threshold" to "master" which will require the leader to pick who the gear goes to of that class. If the leader isn't the same class as you ask them to switch the mode if you are playing for gear, this is generally only used in ops though.

I myself hate the threshold mode, there should be a default mode where the gear automatically goes to a random person of that advanced class, only being able to change it to threshold when the group agrees to it (for farming or comp gear etc).

This isn't an option with LFG - which is probably where 90% of these issues occur.

Anyway, locking people out from Needing non-class items isn't really a solution. Adding a 4th 'Companion' button would be if you combined it with a class restriction on Need. I'd rather something went to a companion than I vendor it for 8k or whatever...

The loot rules are fine. Either use master looter, or just chill out because the new campaign gear tokens are for all classes. The FPs are easy enough that you can run them a few times until you get what you need

This isn't an option with LFG - which is probably where 90% of these issues occur.

Anyway, locking people out from Needing non-class items isn't really a solution. Adding a 4th 'Companion' button would be if you combined it with a class restriction on Need. I'd rather something went to a companion than I vendor it for 8k or whatever...

That is a solution to the problem presented by the OP. It will stop people from needing on the tokens that they do not need. I do not understand how you can say that it is not a solution. I also like the idea of locking the need button and adding a 3rd button that says companion for the peeps that want to roll for companions but cant need on it. Possibly make the companion button slightly higher than greed on the priority list and gray the button out if there is no companion that can use the gear in your companion list. All of those ideas can help curb greedy people and help gear people that need it.

Edited by Dethblossoms
corrections

If you needed an item for your companions and you were in my group, I would put you on ignore (so I would never have to group with you again) and I would leave the FP/ OP so you would not get Credit for the BH comms. Then YOU and YOUR companions could go figure how to complete the dailies by yourselves.

I have done this. I will do this. Fortunately, I can say that I have not had to do this often. Strongly agree with OP. Bioware... make it happen.

What I do with needer spammers is simple put them on my ignore list. They will never be put into my group finder groups ever again, simple and permanent. Eventually they will have noone to play FP and Ops with.

This is why I roll greed on drops when doing missions in a group setting. I don't need all the drama in a game a play as a hobby.

People need to speak up. Group chat is great to clarify stuff. Been doing 2 or 3 HMs every day since it came out. I only have 1 player on my ignore list, and the problem wasn't loot related.....

I ussually never click need for anything unless it's a wicked bracer, earpiece, relic or nice looking piece of custom armor (if it already contains mods I only click need if it gives the stats I use).

Why I do not support this idea is because some peoples have multiple characters, and while they may not use an agent they might still have one. So unless the items binds to you, you should be free to click need if you have another character that can use the item. And even if you don't have a character that can use the item, you might still have a friend who has the same need of it.

And I see alot of peoples that selects need for an item they already have. Isn't this as bad? They obviulsy can't do anything else with the item than selling it. And if their is an Warrior that have an character who need that item, then I think it should be him/her that gets the item.

Edited by MachoLL

I ussually never click need for anything unless it's a wicked bracer, earpiece, relic or nice looking piece of custom armor (if it already contains mods I only click need if it gives the stats I use).

Why I do not support this idea is because some peoples have multiple characters, and while they may not use an agent they might still have one. So unless the items binds to you, you should be free to click need if you have another character that can use the item. And even if you don't have a character that can use the item, you might still have a friend who has the same need of it.

And I see alot of peoples that selects need for an item they already have. Isn't this as bad? They obviulsy can't do anything else with the item than selling it. And if their is an Warrior that have an character who need that item, then I think it should be him/her that gets the item.

No! You only roll need unconditionally when its an upgrade for the spec your currently in. If you want it for an offspec, companion, alt, RE, whatever and there is no one else in the group that can use it, its prob cool, but polite to let everyone know why you are doing it. If there is another player who might need it for a mainspec upgrade ( and its not a main spec upgrade for you) make sure he doesn't need it before you roll need. If you want the piece to rip out a few mods to better itemize your gear the decent thing to do is to make sure its not a big upgrade for anyone else in the group. None of the content you can access from the group finder drops super rare hard to get gear (and don't tell me the rakata chest piece in LI qualifies as this). Odds are if you don't get that piece this time you will get it next time. Don't be greedy, you are still on the same faction/ server, ppl who are asses with needing on everything will get a reputation fast. Piss enough ppl off and good luck getting into a group for the stuff you can't group finder que for (like HM kp/EV and EC).

Edit: MachoLL I'm not aiming this at you or accusing you of anything (you even stated you don't do this sort of thing) I am just putting up the general view most ppl have of rolling on loot in a pug dungeon.

Edited by Rompdomp

WoW instituted a 'cannot roll need on items you can't effectivly use' for a reason, because there ARE people out there (a large number actually) who will roll need even if they have exactly ZERO use for an item, just cause they can.

here's the thing, and whether you think it's a good idea, or a bad idea, the fact is that, with companions, you effectively have 6 characters to equip, not just one. So unless you know their companions have better gear, you cannot say that they have zero use for the item.

As long as any class can turn in the tokens for full pieces of gear, you're going to see someone rolling need on stuff that isn't for their class.

Speaking personally, I don't do that. I don't think my companions needs are more important than an actual player, and since companions don't get set bonuses, I'm perfectly happy equipping them with exotech and energized pieces.

If you're concerned about people rolling for stuff you need, ask about their intentions at the beginning of the FP. They may still lie to you, at which point you put them on ignore to make sure you don't group with them anymore. Or form your own groups of like minded people.

It's not Bioware's job to enforce morality. If you play with snakes, you're occasionally going to get bit.

here's the thing, and whether you think it's a good idea, or a bad idea, the fact is that, with companions, you effectively have 6 characters to equip, not just one. So unless you know their companions have better gear, you cannot say that they have zero use for the item.

As a matter of fact, in many cases I can.

For example all of troopers use Aim as their main stat, so if for example a light armor belt with willpower drops and there is a trooper in the group, I can say with absolute 100% certainty without even knowing anything about what gear his companions have, that he has zero use for the item, even if you counted equipping companions as a potential use.

Actually there is only one class in republic side and also only one class in imperial side whose different companions use all 4 main stats, and even they don't need all the different types of gear that exist in the game.

Edited by Eternalnight

Real simple, if gear drops and it's for your class go ahead and need. If it's for a companion you press greed. There is absolutely no reason for say a trooper to roll need on a columi token for sentinels or consulors. The only stat that troopers use is aim. a couple of their companions use cunning. Just because a player can roll need doesn't mean they should just because they want to be greedy. Why should the players that actually need and can use gear have to take a back step to the ignorance of other players. And this is not griping, it's addressing a legitimate issue.

Just a suggestion, putting in here since the problem is usually going to be seen in instances.

Can we please have some eligibility logic put into the loot system? To stop the following happening...

Last night I did a random HM. Me and another Inquisitor, a Warrior and an Agent. On the final boss an item dropped that was Inquisitor only (and the republic equivalent) - a bracers token I think it was. The warrior Needed and won it. I Greeded since it wasn't an upgrade but the other SI needed it. Now the warrior has a useless token that I'm not even sure is worth any vendor credits and the other SI is still in low level bracers.

This sort of thing is going to get a lot worse now that the finder tool is live. Same thing happened in WoW when they added the dungeon finder. People think they have a degree of anonymity so don't care about screwing people over.

Just something that auto-passes you if you're not the right class is all it needs. I'm only talking about the stuff that's actually locked to specific classes, not "that's a tank item not a dps item" or "you don't need crit" conflicts (which is another discussion for another day).

I hate ninja's, but I got to the unfortunate point of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em,

I think a lot of folks are giving up on civility in the FPs, and just needing on everything until bioware

puts in that exact system you are referring to.

With gear upgrades wanted for companions, etc, (the reasons are endless) I think we just have to give up

being civil and need on everything. YEs, it sucks, but I've found in last 30 runs or so if i don't need on stuff, i get nothing, and I mean 6 runs of need-ninja's. Until bioware puts in a system like you're saying (and they should, it works for WOW) I'm just going to need as well.

I hate it, but if i don't i get zip.