Why does everyone get so butthurt about language?

BurnedRemains

How I employ my language is up to me, my friend. Words are not ignorant and are not indicative of someone's mental abilities either. You are using another generalization to get a terrible point across. One, might I add, is riddled with holes.

I concur good sir! For the theory of these people is that a "curse word" can only be a negative part of a sentence. Though if you look at it through glasses that have not been fogged up by peer-pressure of your co-workers, family members etc, you'll realize a crazy word called "context".

Enjoy.

How I employ my language is up to me, my friend. Words are not ignorant and are not indicative of someone's mental abilities either. You are using another generalization to get a terrible point across. One, might I add, is riddled with holes.

It is still rude. Deny that fact, I dare you.

Swearing rarely leads to a civil argument. It turns things into massive arguments that can lead to even worse situations. People have been murdered over such things.

Swearing also does little to show maturity. If you want to discuss a situation, you can do so without swearing. A well thought out argument does far more to persuade those to your side than swearing every other word. Swearing only serves to have people look down upon you and make you seem like you're a mere child who got their favorite toy taken away.

Any sentence a person uses a swear (or curse word) in can be said without such words. Be an adult and use your head. You need to set examples for others and swearing only shows others it's okay to have an IQ of a rock as well as that it's okay to insult others. You went to school and learned to speak properly. Use what you were taught rather than devolving back into a toddler who can't speak more than a few words and most of those being swears.

Then of course, there's also the TOS. Swearing is not allowed so if you do swear, you should be reported.

All languages are incredibly expansive and vast with the number of words they have. There's so many words in it to express yourself that you don't need to resort to swearing to get that point across.

A game like this should be family-friendly - you can swear at your friends and people you want to insult in your own time, on your own chat.

Edited by jgelling

Why do you have to curse?

I have always thought that people who frequently use foul language are less intelligent.

Judging a book by it's cover eh?

Why what a lovely shade of black you have Mr Pot! Have you spoken to Ms kettle today, I've heard she has some steamy gossip *taps nose twice*.

Using curse words shows a loss of self control, a lack of discipline, and ignorance.

Everybody has different opinions about which words are offensive and which aren't. Maybe somebody who considers those words dirty, shocking, or wrong only use them when they lose self control, but not everybody marches to the same drum as you. To others, they are just colorful words used to accentuate a point made. I've known absolutely brilliant people make amazing arguments in debates and pepper them with words consider vulgar. yet the points made still stood on their own merit.

In my experience it's usually the people overly obsessed with the words others use that are a tad ignorant, not the ones using them.

A game like this should be family-friendly - you can swear at your friends and people you want to insult in your own time, on your own chat.

This is a Star Wars game.....do you even know what Star Wars is....?

Last I checked swearing was common in Star Wars. Oh you didn't hear any? Maybe that's because the swear words are all in the star wars universe's vocabulary.

http://yodasyarns.0catch.com/swearwords.htm

Your turn :rak_03:

Edited by Shikon_Hyoga

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_people_use_profanity

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/why-do-educated-people-use-bad-words/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/12/12/profanity-how-often-do-people-use-it-and-can-it-be-beneficial.htm

There are a few links that might be beneficial to you. There are many others but they contained foul language as examples so I cannot link them here. The last article is interesting as it shows that cursing and profanity can unite co workers when letting off steam, but it also lists how others view people who use profanity on a regular basis. A pity my psychology book links couldn't be used because they display the words. Perhaps you should research things before saying such ignorant comments, but I guess I should have expected this since you started off by saying you use profanity on a regular basis.

My issue with the filter is that it is Americanised and I play on an European server, speaking British English. I can say "arse" but not name a type of donkey...

I feel like they also filter British swear words - the ones they love on BBC - that don't mean anything to Americans, too.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_people_use_profanity

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/why-do-educated-people-use-bad-words/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-do-we-swear

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/12/12/profanity-how-often-do-people-use-it-and-can-it-be-beneficial.htm

There are a few links that might be beneficial to you. There are many others but they contained foul language as examples so I cannot link them here. The last article is interesting as it shows that cursing and profanity can unite co workers when letting off steam, but it also lists how others view people who use profanity on a regular basis. A pity my psychology book links couldn't be used because they display the words. Perhaps you should research things before saying such ignorant comments, but I guess I should have expected this since you started off by saying you use profanity on a regular basis.

A list of links to people making stereotypes, congratulations?

This is a Star Wars game.....do you even know what Star Wars is....?

Last I checked swearing was common in Star Wars. Oh you didn't hear any? Maybe that's because the swear words are all in the star wars universe's vocabulary.

http://yodasyarns.0catch.com/swearwords.htm

Your turn :rak_03:

That link contains info from an unofficial site. I think you are going to have to ask Lucas to find out if those really are swear words. Also a majority of the words listed there display emotions of frustration and anger which can be used to bully. They have no place in SWTOR which is not rated M.

If ANYONE has a problem with profanity in an online game they should take advantage of the language filter.

No one should be punished for using any type of language unless it's harassment.

There is no excuse for foul language. Punishments should be swift and strict.

[quote=guardian_titan;4723472

Any sentence a person uses a swear (or curse word) in can be said without such words. Be an adult and use your head. You need to set examples for others and swearing only shows others it's okay to have an IQ of a rock as well as that it's okay to insult others.

And you too, fall into the cliche verbage of every other person without a sense of context and perspective. Thing is, it is ok to insult someone. Are we all children here that cannot take a little critisizm? I thought not.

So, the OP got butthurt, because someone reported his improper use of language.

Sorry, but the people you want to talk to about this are all at BW, not here in forum. The reporters were just using the tools and rules supplied to them by BW.

If you get butthurt over that.. well seems appropriate.

And you too, fall into the cliche verbage of every other person without a sense of context and perspective. Thing is, it is ok to insult someone. Are we all children here that cannot take a little critisizm? I thought not.

Since when is it okay to insult someone?

There is a flaw with your line of reasoning. That flaw is that you are saying criticism and insults are one in the same which they are not. Insults are meant to hurt others while criticism isn't meant to harm it is meant to point out flaws and from there help someone to fix something.

That link contains info from an unofficial site. I think you are going to have to ask Lucas to find out if those really are swear words. Also a majority of the words listed there display emotions of frustration and anger which can be used to bully. They have no place in SWTOR which is not rated M.

It's a random website there hundred more; point being swearing is a common thing in the star wars universe. As a side note last time I check first degree murder (something that happens every second in swtor) is a crime, not swearing, a common thing for every species in the star wars universe. \

Your move. :rak_03:

It's a random website there hundred more; point being swearing is a common thing in the star wars universe. As a side note last time I check first degree murder (something that happens every second in swtor) is a crime, not swearing, a common thing for every species in the star wars universe. \

Your move. :rak_03:

One difference. You don't agree to the terms of service when you buy a book, comic, watch a movie in the star wars universe. You do however agree to it when you load up your game. Obey the rules or suffer the consequences it is that simple. Game, set, match.

Hello everyone,

Please be aware that profanity, or attempts to harass other players verbally or otherwise is not appropriate for the forums, or when playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. You can read a complete list of our Rules of Conduct that you agreed to when you created your account, here.

We're going to close this thread because it has become increasingly non-constructive, but if you have any questions regarding this, or any other forum policy, feel free to contact CommunitySupport@swtor.com to speak with one of our Community Coordinators directly.

Thank you.

Edited by Noviru