Unsubbed customers cannot reply/post new thread?

Ritsi

It's mostly a bug then because after the first free month is up you cannot post until you resubscribe to the game. Maybe you haven't logged out since you canceled?, that happened to me. Once you log out it should disable chat from you.

It isn't a bug. Session cookies have a TTL and can be resent by the browser. Once the TTL (Time to Live) expires you will be asked to log in again before posting. Until then you will be automatically logged in unless you manually log out of the forums.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non paying coustomers not being able to post, but still access the forums is a pretty standard method amoung P2P MMO's I don't see why this is any surprise with ToR.

For the people who are legitimtely considering playing the game, but are on the fence about dropping their $15 because they have questions there are new player guides and plenty player run websites with forums also free trials to the game are coming soon.

Although, there can always be exceptions I think most people who have unsubbed and seek to continue posting usually have negative intentions and seek to be disruptive.

Edited by Hardwear

Interesting. Logged out and back in. I thought I'd be locked out last week and I was prepared for that to happen, but it was a nice surprise that I can still post.

What games lock people out for not having a subscription? I can still log into the EQ2 boards and post as well and I haven't had an active account with Sony for over a year now. (note: before they went free to play)

Is it offically posted someplace that we're locked out without a subscription?

Its not offical but people whined about it at launch so they locked it into active or canceled subscriptions only. After your days run out you won't be able to post anymore. It only counts if you have days remaining in the account subscription page. You should check it. If it says you have (insert number days remaining) then you can still post.

It isn't a bug. Session cookies have a TTL and can be resent by the browser. Once the TTL (Time to Live) expires you will be asked to log in again before posting. Until then you will be automatically logged in unless you manually log out of the forums.

Well it happened to me at launch. After my free month and time ran out I was unable to post at all.

Its not offical but people whined about it at launch so they locked it into active or canceled subscriptions only. After your days run out you won't be able to post anymore. It only counts if you have days remaining in the account subscription page. You should check it. If it says you have (insert number days remaining) then you can still post.

Interesting you bring that up. As i mentioned i was preparing for being locked out and checked there.. On the 16th of the month it siad (0) zero days left though I still had access into the game till the 18th (the proper date).

I'm only asking if there was an offical posting becasue, perhaps, they changed it back? I have no clue. :-/

I have used many forums for MMOs and never came across one I couldn't use before I installed the frikkin game after I was already signed up and confirmed to the website for crying out loud, It is simply ridiculous. What do they think people not playing are going to come in and spoil the forums for everyone. I think it is a bit paranoid of Bioware to do this. Like myself, I wanted to ask alot of questions before commiting myself to buying the game and paying for a monthly.

I haven't bumped into one either. I have played quite a few mmos but I have not played WoW, Rift, Eve, FF series, Lineage and non of the Indy mmos out there.. Outside the ones I listed, I have not seen a single AAA MMO that locks people out of the forums. I could be mistaken..

but I have to ask others, what games lock people out? Sounds like a horrible company.

Not quite democratic eh?

Welcome to the current state of our society: Pay to talk and pay even more to be heard. And this is everywhere.

There should be a section of the forum where everybody, regardless of subscription should post. Giving voice to the people et al.

Bioware and EA are not democracies.

You want a voice, you pay. This stuff costs money, and if you are not contributing to the pool, you can't use the resources.

That's how it works. It's really quite fair.

You have some fantasy about a free forum where everyone can come together and solve all the worlds problems while playing a game then you are free to go out and start your own game and forums with your own money.

We'll see how much of your cash you feel like giving away to a bunch of trolls.

Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

I haven't bumped into one either. I have played quite a few mmos but I have not played WoW, Rift, Eve, FF series, Lineage and non of the Indy mmos out there.. Outside the ones I listed, I have not seen a single AAA MMO that locks people out of the forums. I could be mistaken..

but I have to ask others, what games lock people out? Sounds like a horrible company.

As I pointed out, SWG, run by Sony and which the previous poster lists in his sig, did not allow users to post on their forums if they did not have an active sub to at least one of their games. I know this for a fact from the time I let my sub to SWG lapse here and there. When it wasn't active, I could not post at all.

I agree that only active subscribers should be able to contribute to the forums. Allowing persons who are unsubbed or persons that don't even own the game to post makes way for spam, trolls and can lead to the spread of misinformation.

Once you unsub your not really part of the community anymore. Your not experiencing what others playing the game are experiencing. Yes, your not going to be out of date in a week but eventually it's going to happen at which point you'll have nothing to contribute. In any event, not being able to post on the official TOR forums doesn't prevent anyone talking/posting about TOR anywhere else.

For new players interested in the game, they can still read the forums, there are new player FAQs available to answer questions and there are also game reviews available. Coming to July there is even the free to level 15 game play. If a person can't decide whether the game is worth investing in after all that than I seriously doubt that they are able to make any sort of decision.

Not quite democratic eh?

Welcome to the current state of our society: Pay to talk and pay even more to be heard. And this is everywhere.

There should be a section of the forum where everybody, regardless of subscription should post. Giving voice to the people et al.

Guess what, the business of running a MMO company is not a charity. If you want to play you have to pay. Who in thier right mind would like to work for free.

a paying customer unhappy about the game or posting threads is a lot more credible than someone on "mmorpg.com" coming here posting threads and generalizing having never sub'd or played

it reduces the spam from people who talk out their ***.

Edited by tacoknite

So I'd like a decent answer on this. I unsub, for whatever reason, but I can't have a word with the community of the game or the CS via the forum? Are you serious? Why is that?

You are no longer a member of the community.

Edited by Blackardin

So I'd like a decent answer on this. I unsub, for whatever reason, but I can't have a word with the community of the game or the CS via the forum? Are you serious? Why is that?

Some ppl told me this is happening to keep out trolls/ppl who have no relation to the game but still....I think every1 should have access to the forums, regardless of the subscription status.

Am I wrong?

I'd like to hear your opinions (and a CS response but I doubt that) on the matter. I urge you to be constructive and avoid trolling/hating me :)

If you have ZERO stock in Walmart, should you reasonably have a say with how Walmart runs its company? Lol. Someone is surprised that bioware doesn't let him spew his potentially offensive and unwanted opinion for free on THEIR forums.

But honestly... What are you going to do about it, unsub?

Edited by BlazingShadow

I'd like to hear your opinions (and a CS response but I doubt that) on the matter. I urge you to be constructive and avoid trolling/hating me :)

I won't hate or troll, but I will be brutally honest. If someone is not actually playing the game how can they make a constructive post that actually brings something to, or benefits the forums in any way? Too many active players troll these forums with doom and gloom. The last thing needed is people who haven't been playing the game for however long trolling them as well.

If someone who is unsubbed is thinking of coming back if "X" problem is solved they can find that on the forums or any number of other ways without having to post.

Edited by Raila
spelling

If this is the case then about time to. I'm sick to death of all the self opinionated entitled unsubbed losers who post nothing but negative unfounded toilet on these forums .

At least it'll just be people who are paying for the game and deserve to give their opinions now. It might make this forum a better place.

If this is the case then about time to. I'm sick to death of all the self opinionated entitled unsubbed losers who post nothing but negative unfounded toilet on these forums .

At least it'll just be people who are paying for the game and deserve to give their opinions now. It might make this forum a better place.

Alas, the people who say that they have "unsubbed" and then post are referring to the fact that they have not RENEWED their subscription. They are free to post until their sub runs out, whether that is 1 day or several months, if they purchased a 6 month sub. So they are sadly free to come hate on the game for as long as their sub lasts, though they may indeed have stopped actually playing. They haven't stopped actually paying, though they might not be paying AGAIN. They don't make that distinction.

Edited by Ashlian

WTH is that? did u play UO or EQ b4? there is no forum.

but they r killed by WoW, wow has a forum, so .....

Some ppl told me this is happening to keep out trolls/ppl who have no relation to the game but still....I think every1 should have access to the forums, regardless of the subscription status.

Am I wrong?

Far as I know, long as you have time remaining you can post and respond on the forums!

I do agree they should have at least a public general forum.

But then agin I also think they should have sever specific private forums that the public cant see or read unless subscribed!

So they come up short in both really.

Am I wrong?

I like it the way it is. If you have an active account with time on it. You can post. You dont have to have an active sub. . .just time still remaining on your account.

The moderators have to get paid. It's only going to be that much more work for them if they have to moderate through that much more posts/threads/content from people who aren't subbed.

Plus it keeps the trolls out from other games. Which is a HUGE plus in my book