C2-N2 Crew Skill Sensors... do they really work?

Toogeloo

Buddy of mine bought the Repair Droid for his ship and invited me aboard to buy a Sensor for my C2-N2. I am Biochem, so I got the Medical Sensor that gives +10 Efficiency and +2 Crit to Diplomacy. I have my doubts as to whether it's actually working or not, if I am unlucky, or if I need the Repair Droid on my ship to cause it to work.

I send my C2-N2 out on Diplomacy Missions for only Medical Supplies pretty much on cooldown. He has NEVER gotten a rare in leveling the skill from 87 (when I bought the item) to 385 (it's current level). I'm not even sure how the Biochem efficiency is supposed to be helping either, but have noticed no significant change in his crafting except when I started giving him Cultural Artifiacts to boost him closer to 8k Affection, in which his crafting time started to diminish (as I expected it would as it does with other companions).

So what's going on with this, and is this normal?

EDIT: I also noticed that the bonuses aren't shown in the crew skill window, but I figure this is just more of a bug than anything else.

Edited by Toogeloo

With that sensor equipped on your companion you should have a better chance of critting on your diplomacy missions. It seems odd that you haven't gotten a single crit if you've run that many missions. Did you only level up your Diplomacy skill with C2-N2? I have a level 20 character that has gotten 3 or 4 crits on diplomacy missions with my droid companion. And that's without the skill sensor equipped. Right now it's diplomacy skill is still under 100. Maybe you really are just that unlucky or perhaps that droid sensor is bugged. I have bought the droid already so I don't know if you're required to purchase it for your own ship or not. I don't really know for sure, but if you've run that many missions with your droid companion it certainaly doesn't seem normal

I used C2-N2 for pretty much 95% of the diplomacy missions, and used a secondary companion if there was a second Dark Side Mission that also yielded Medical Supplies (C2-N2 was always given the priority of the higher yield). Since it's diplomacy, I only sent him out on Missions of my Dark Affinity, and only again on Missions that yielded medical supplies. He never once came back with rare crafting materials, I had to buy a few along the way in order to craft a couple reusable items. Edited by Toogeloo

With that sensor equipped on your companion you should have a better chance of critting on your diplomacy missions. It seems odd that you haven't gotten a single crit if you've run that many missions. Did you only level up your Diplomacy skill with C2-N2? I have a level 20 character that has gotten 3 or 4 crits on diplomacy missions with my droid companion. And that's without the skill sensor equipped. Right now it's diplomacy skill is still under 100. Maybe you really are just that unlucky or perhaps that droid sensor is bugged. I have bought the droid already so I don't know if you're required to purchase it for your own ship or not. I don't really know for sure, but if you've run that many missions with your droid companion it certainaly doesn't seem normal

This is the same case with me. I have a sniper that's only level 18, and her diplomacy is only level 100 or so, and I've critted on it a few times. Probably around 5, but that's sending Kaliyo and the Droid.

Perhaps your droid is bugged?

I send my C2-N2 out on Diplomacy Missions for only Medical Supplies pretty much on cooldown. He has NEVER gotten a rare in leveling the skill from 87 (when I bought the item) to 385 (it's current level).

Yeah... with enough missions sent out to get your skill from 87-385, he should have critted quite a few times, even without the upgrade thingy.

If I remember correctly, Efficiency only speeds up your crafting or harvesting. The +2 Crit should increase your crit chance by 2%. Every 2000 points of affection on a particular comapnion also grants +1 Crit if I remember correctly. Unfortunately I don't remember the base Crit chance for all companions, it might have only been 5% but I'd have to do some serious searching of the forums to find those values. I believe there were some other modifiers as well that were based on the mission level versus your skill (grey/green/blue/yellow/orange level missions). Again if I remember correctly, your best chance of critting on a mission is with grey missions but I don't remember the exact % boost based on the difference in mission color level versus your skill level).

Read this for how it works with crafting:

http://dulfy.net/2012/04/22/companion-gifts-and-crafting-bonuses-for-1-2/

I suspect the crit chance for diplomacy and what not is slightly different. If your droid has zero affection and you're doing nothing but fast orange missions then you're probably killing the crit chance.

That might have been the case.

It would be nice to see the sensor buffs in the crafting window like the other companion bonuses.

Absolutely. It is annoying to have to keep opening my droid's char sheet to see what bonuses he has on this character or another. Even worse when he's out on a mission and I'm trying to figure out which companion to send on a certain new mission that I just got.

I had this same problem when 1.2 came out. I sent a help request in about it and never heard anymore. I tested it out on my lvl 50 though and noticed that the time to complete missions does change from when the sensor is not equipped to eqipped. I'm sure its working properly, but it's still a pain that it doesn't show up on the crew window. Also like previously stated, you need to max out the affection with your droid to get the most out of the sensor. Buy some rank 1 gifts from the vendor and make a note as to which ones get you the most affection, then start collecting high rank gifts from the plethora of companion gift missions and max the droid out.