The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Healers are fine. Perfectly fine. In fact probably a little more than fine.

ProfessorWalsh

Really ... have you tried keeping a ball carrier alive whilst chasing after them with your predominant heals only possible whilst stood still with clear line of sight on a target that gets knocked back and pulled in many different directions?

Personally - I find its easier to turn the tide of a battle when healing around static objectives where you don't have to chase so i am keen to understand why you feel, in Hutball, of all scenario's, we are OP? Genuine curious question not an attempt to elicit a drama debate!

You are asking someone who has never actually done the role, who hates the role, and wants nothing more than for his own role to be the best. The concept of interruptable heals is foreign to him because he has only one ability that can be interrupted- rather than a vast majority like ranged classes.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are asking someone who has never actually done the role, who hates the role, and wants nothing more than for his own role to be the best. The concept of interruptable heals is foreign to him because he has only one ability that can be interrupted- rather than a vast majority like ranged classes.

There does seemt o be a lot of healer hate but it was ever thus. I saw it on my combat medic in SWG, my Disc/Holy priest in WoW and my Shaman in Warhammer Online. Healers heal and that just doesnt sit well with the button mashing zerg zerg classes in any game who judge the successful outcome of a PVP encounter on their damage done and killcount rather than their team winning ... and if you play that class well ... you are obviously OP.

Is this a joke? Obviously you have never played a Merc/Commando healer in pvp.

First off, You have 5 heals.

3 of them have a cooldown.

Rapid shots is almost a joke.

Kolto missile is only really good when supercharged and the 5% healing buff (5%<---lawlz)

Kolto Shell? lmao! with trauma, Kolto Shell is pretty much a joke.

I have full battle master and 4 pieces of warhero and I have to bust my you know what to keep people up (depending on what they are, gear, whats on them, yada yada...)

I didn't play Merc pre 1.2 so I cant comment on that, but I PVP everyday on my Merc for about 5+ hours because I do enjoy healing.

Normally I am at the top but I like I said I work my you know what off.

We need more +healing or another heal, maybe buff kolto missile or make it give 10% healing buff (for just the merc using is).

I get a lot of "Damn! your an awesome healer, how do you do so well on a Merc!" tells.

Grass is always greener my brothers, Merc/Comm healing is a hell of a lot harder then it looks.

It's a shame that you missed the days when Merc healers were unstoppable gods of healing prior to 1.2.

There does seemt o be a lot of healer hate but it was ever thus. I saw it on my combat medic in SWG, my Disc/Holy priest in WoW and my Shaman in Warhammer Online. Healers heal and that just doesnt sit well with the button mashing zerg zerg classes in any game who judge the successful outcome of a PVP encounter on their damage done and killcount rather than their team winning ... and if you play that class well ... you are obviously OP.

Well, I don't know about the others, but Disc/Holy priests were pretty ridiculous for a time.

/shrug

Edited by Varicite

It's a shame that you missed the days when Merc healers were unstoppable gods of healing prior to 1.2.

Well, I don't know about the others, but Disc/Holy priests were pretty ridiculous for a time.

/shrug

True - but a good Rogue would prove a decent fight and would certainly distract me from healing any of my teammates which is really all someone can do against a healer.

My SL/SL 'lock ... now that was ridiculous ;-)

Amusingly its rare I gain a guard in pvp and even rarer I gain support when in trouble. Those who do come to my aid gain my attention and certainly a little more love in healing because I know they are more than just kill chasers!

Edited by Wozz

True - but a good Rogue would prove a decent fight and would certainly distract me from healing any of my teammates which is really all someone can do against a healer.

My SL/SL 'lock ... now that was ridiculous ;-)

Amusingly its rare I gain a guard in pvp and even rarer I gain support when in trouble. Those who do come to my aid gain my attention and certainly a little more love in healing because I know they are more than just kill chasers!

My Carnage Mara can't guard, but even I still do my best to use my roots to peel for my healers, etc. Maybe it's a habit from the last character, which was a Tankassin.

People really need to learn how to peel correctly, it's really all a healer needs to stay alive a lot of the time and keep you both up. Just because you aren't a tank class and can't GUARD a healer does not mean that you cannot PROTECT them. : )

Also, yus and yus about the rogues and SL/SL. : P

My Carnage Mara can't guard, but even I still do my best to use my roots to peel for my healers, etc. Maybe it's a habit from the last character, which was a Tankassin.

People really need to learn how to peel correctly, it's really all a healer needs to stay alive a lot of the time and keep you both up. Just because you aren't a tank class and can't GUARD a healer does not mean that you cannot PROTECT them. : )

Also, yus and yus about the rogues and SL/SL. : P

It just takes that little bit of love for a healer to get back onto full health and get some breathing space. I am sure your healer colleagues appreciate it and repay it in kind with some extra healer attention.

The other day i was in a Double Premade vs Premade with good pugs match, and if Ranked is going to be anything like this then I want no part of it. No amount of healing can keep up with the amount of damage a organized team of very geared and very good players can put out. It isn't fun when you spend more time on speeder than on the ground.

They nerfed healers(Except Scoundrels) in changes while buffing some DPS in damage, and then nerfed healers again in the expertise changes, while also buffing DPS. Now there is a bit of a disparity, which should of been looked at a WHILE ago as it contradicts one of the design plans going in: Low TTK for drawn out tactical battles.

The other day i was in a Double Premade vs Premade with good pugs match, and if Ranked is going to be anything like this then I want no part of it. No amount of healing can keep up with the amount of damage a organized team of very geared and very good players can put out. It isn't fun when you spend more time on speeder than on the ground.

They nerfed healers(Except Scoundrels) in changes while buffing some DPS in damage, and then nerfed healers again in the expertise changes, while also buffing DPS. Now there is a bit of a disparity, which should of been looked at a WHILE ago as it contradicts one of the design plans going in: Low TTK for drawn out tactical battles.

TTK is supposedly going back up a bit in 1.3, at least according to players I've talked to who have played around on the PTS.

[...]

Trauma for Snipers/Gunslingers/Sentinels/Marauders needs a buff though because in PVP unlike every other ability they don't scale. I, for example, can't gear myself up and mitigate the effect knockback has on me, a Healer however can gear themselves up and mitigate the effect that Trauma has on them.

Care to explain what stats I should gear for that will mitigate a flat 30% reduction to my heals?

That's interesting to hear, I figured the Arenal / relic nerf would be counteract by the augments.

That's what I thought too. I would take that w/ a grain of salt, though.

I'm just going off of hearsay. They ARE on the PTS, but I would hardly call them paragons of PvP mechanical excellence. : P

Care to explain what stats I should gear for that will mitigate a flat 30% reduction to my heals?

Heh, I didn't even see that comment by Walsh. /facepalm

I don't know what stat you should stack, but I do know Walsh should start stacking accuracy and ditch a little presence.

That's what I thought too. I would take that w/ a grain of salt, though.

I'm just going off of hearsay. They ARE on the PTS, but I would hardly call them paragons of PvP mechanical excellence. : P

Hooooeeeeeee feller, that's a lot of them five dollars words you throwin around there. Most of these here forum dwellers is dumber than a jar of confederate nickels! Use gots to speak plainly: I dun know if those ptr people is right.

That's pretty much it. Being able to chain kill people as a DPS in record time is just fine- but being able to keep three people alive as a healer is broken?

No, wait, let's look at what the prof is saying.

That's right- being able to keep YOURSELF alive is overpowered as a healer. That's right- if you can stay alive as someone who's sole role is to keep people alive- you are overpowered according the the prof.

But he isn't unbiased, btw.

Heh, I didn't even see that comment by Walsh. /facepalm

I don't know what stat you should stack, but I do know Walsh should start stacking accuracy and ditch a little presence.

I never referred to the flat 30% I referred to the 20% that I can apply with one of my high end abilities. (Note: Also, according to delves this isn't actually a combined 50% this is actually 20% of the total after the 30% is applied.) This can be mitigated by Bounty Hunters, and Operatives, naturally. I don't think Sages/Sorcs can, but I might be incorrect on that, I think they can auto-crit but that is about it.

I never referred to the flat 30% I referred to the 20% that I can apply with one of my high end abilities. (Note: Also, according to delves this isn't actually a combined 50% this is actually 20% of the total after the 30% is applied.) This can be mitigated by Bounty Hunters, and Operatives, naturally. I don't think Sages/Sorcs can, but I might be incorrect on that, I think they can auto-crit but that is about it.

What do you mean by mitigate? I'm pretty sure all bonuses to healing are applied before reductions.

Vanish?? Vanish?? I can't "Vanish" on either my Sage or Inquisitor. Not all healers are Operative / Scoundrel. Operative / Scoundrel are not the ones that are having problems. The rest of the healers in the game are, unless you are 50 and in all WH gear. Then you might be doing fine with any class.

if you arent an op or scounrle you aren't a real healer.

I disagree. Link in sig.

I wouldn't even agree that Sages are the best of the three healers; all have their moments to shine. I play a Commando which a lot of people consider to be the 'weakest' of the three healers (which I'm not even completely inclined to agree on) and I don’t really think Sage/Sorc or Scound/Op are any better than me overall, they just have moments they shine brighter at. Albeit that they have a few more than us, I don't really think that makes them any better or worse per se.

I wouldn't even agree that Sages are the best of the three healers; all have their moments to shine. I play a Commando which a lot of people consider to be the 'weakest' of the three healers (which I'm not even completely inclined to agree on) and I don’t really think Sage/Sorc or Scound/Op are any better than me overall, they just have moments they shine brighter at. Albeit that they have a few more than us, I don't really think that makes them any better or worse per se.

Well, i admit claiming sages are the best is a bit of propaganda, but I certainly think that they are better than commandos. At least in the vast majority of situations.

Well, i admit claiming sages are the best is a bit of propaganda, but I certainly think that they are better than commandos. At least in the vast majority of situations.

Not going to disagree with you. The only time where a Commando healer can truly shine is that we can pretty much withstand being focused a little more and in-turn has a stronger healing output during times of being focused.

Of course this major benefit is pretty much negated when you have a good team behind you that is peeling properly. Though if you have that as a Commando, you can become near-immortal, which is always fun!

Edit: Not to put anyone off being a Commando Healer! We are a lot of fun and we do have our place in ranked warzone teams, we can pump out good numbers and like I said, we are very sturdy. We are also kind of a rare breed and it's nice to be an underdog :).

Edited by Adiari

This can be mitigated by Bounty Hunters, and Operatives, naturally.

As the above said, the world mitigated does not really apply, but... I am more interested in how you think the healing debuff applied by players can be negated by Commando/Merc and Op/Sco? It can't be dispelled or anything of the likes, so I am wondering how it is any different for us compared to Sorcs?

As the above said, the world mitigated does not really apply, but... I am more interested in how you think the healing debuff applied by players can be negated by Commando/Merc and Op/Sco? It can't be dispelled or anything of the likes, so I am wondering how it is any different for us compared to Sorcs?

Bounty Hunter - Power Tech - 4th Tier Talent Ability: Protective Shield - Increases all healing received by 10% with 1 talent point, 20% with 2 talent points.

Our trauma only does 20% thus they can mitigate Trauma by their Protective shield. To my knowledge Sorcerers can't do that.