Guesstimated Final Total for Destination Servers:

PvE-East: 4

PvE-West: 3

PvP-East: 2

PvP-West: 1

RP-East: 1

RP-West: 1

RP-PVP: 1

Like I predicted yesterday, they did open a second PVP-East, still waiting to see if they'll open further PVE Servers as destinations

----

Breakdown of Individual Servers by Name

PVE East To Canderous Ordo:

* Kathol Rift

* Krayiss Obelisk

* Master Dorak

* The Corsair

* The Courageous

* Whitebeam Run

* Zez-Kai Ell

* Kaas City

* Assassins of Sion

* The Constant

* Juyo

PVE East to Jedi Covenant

* Keetael

* Keller's Void

* Khoonda Militia

* Sedyn Kyne

* The Defenestrator

* Ki-Ta Kren

* Telos Restoration Project

* Axial Park

* Hanharr

* Fort Garnik

* Eidolon Security

* Nathema

* Shii-Cho

PVE East to The Shadowlands

* Krayt Dragon

* Grand Master Zym

* Dreshdae Cantina

* Giradda the Hutt

* Sith Meditation Sphere

* Elysium

* The Razor

* Shadow Hand

PVE East to Corellian Run

* Thana Vesh

* ICE Breaker

* Colonel Tobin

* Crevasse City

* Mind Trick

* Sith Wyrm

* Darth Bandon

* Tarro Blood

* Anturi Reach

* Firaxan Shark

PVE West to Drooga's Pleasure Barge

* Darth Xedrix

* Fa'athra

* Mask of Nihilus

* Master Zhar Lestin

* Perlemian Trade Route

* Master Gnost-Dural

* Lord Praven

* Zakkeg Beast

* Hyperspace Cannon

* Veeboo Lunx

* Darth Sion

PVE West to The Harbinger

* Empress Teta

* Gauntlet of Kressh

* Krath

* Namadii Corridor

* Soresu

* Wall of Light

* Zaalbar

* Kaiburr Crystal

* Space Slug

* Vornskr

* The Jekk'Jekk Tarr

PVP East to the Fatman

* Cho Mai

* Firkrann Crystal

* Hedarr Soongh

* Kinrath Spider

* Rwookrrorro

* The Deadweight

* Thendys Noori

* Darth Malak

* Belgoth's Beacon

PVP East to Prophecy of the Five

* Bondar Crystal

* Davik's Estate

* Gardens of Talla

* Infinity Gate

* Naddist Rebels

* Veela

* Saber of Exar Kun

* The Twin Spears

* Iron Citadel

* Death Wind Corridor

* Sword of Ajunta Pall

* Terentatek

* Helm of Graush

* Anchorhead

* Vulkar Highway

* Port Nowhere

PVP West to the Bastion

* Black Vulkars

* Daragon Trail

* Nadd's Sarcophagus

* Rakata Mind Prison

* The Crucible Pits

* Dark Reaper

* The Swiftsure

* Wound in the Force

* Warriors of the Shadow

* Shadowtown

* Mandalore the Indomitable

* Infinite Empire

* The Maw

RP East to The Ebon Hawk

* Kath Hound

* Lord Adraas

* Rubat Crystal

* Sanctum of the Exalted

* Shien

RP West to Begeren Colony

* Lord Ieldis

* Vrook Lamar

RP-PVP to Jung Ma

* Ven Zallow

* Ajunta Pall

Edited by DJB_Prophet
Updated Stats

Do you really think they're shuttering 90% of servers? If that's what ends up happening, BW is probably going to have to explain at some point exactly what happened with the mergers and what changes in capacity were made.

I honestly don't know what's going through their heads. I'm on Ebon Hawk, the 1 rp server in east that was the destination. It is INSANE now, 30 minute queues to log in, ULTRA laggy wz's, and, do yourself a favor and stay the heck away from fleet.

GG, BW, GG.

well see here's the thing... my server (Belgoth's Beacon) was peaking at about 80-100 people online for the Imperials in recent weeks. And that was prime time, 8pm, Weeknights.

Any time the subject of transfers was brought up on my server, the resounding response was "oh god, please soon!"

Not many people are going to be left after we finally get our turn on the merry-go-round.

So assuming a 75% (which I think is conservative) transfer rate, you're looking at having 20-25 people online at PEAK times. I was alone on planets levelling up alts before. After everyone leaves, you'll be lucky to see anyone, anywhere.

So all of a sudden you have this server, which costs a lot of money to own and maintain and keep online, to service optimistically 50 people. That's not Massively Mulitplayer, nor does it make sense. A vast, VAST majority of these servers will have to be scrapped and hardware sold off.

Which is good for everyone really, you'll have less downtime, EA will have less overhead for maintenance all the way down to power bills, and maybe they'll stop being penny pinchers and let BW continue to make this game awesome for us.

So all of a sudden you have this server, which costs a lot of money to own and maintain and keep online, to service optimistically 50 people. That's not Massively Mulitplayer, nor does it make sense. A vast, VAST majority of these servers will have to be scrapped and hardware sold off.

You're making an assumption here that simply isn't necessarily true. Given the leaps and bounds that have been made in virtuilization (Mainly by Oracle, but I digress...) in the last 4-8 years, It's entirely possible that the individual 'servers' that run SWTOR are actually on LESS physical components of hardware then there are servers. The cost savings may be... negligible, at best.

A lot depends on how they structured their internal database for tracking game transactions, and the specific architecture that they need for their servers to function. I mean, that's why we have weekly maintenance, mostly. Time for them to do fixed state backups, to keep log size down. It's actually and important thing, and there are simply too many different methodologies available at present for anyone without spesific insider knowledge (Which is LEGITIMATELY kept secret for competitive reasons) to make any sort of reasonable conclusions about how Bioware is running the server side software for SWTOR.

Hell, they may simply OWN the hardware outright, server side. Given the budget bandied about for this thing, and the ease with which they managed to open up all those new servers at launch, it's how I'd do it.

Sorry, I'm an IT guy, and this sort of thing... bugs me.

I honestly don't know what's going through their heads. I'm on Ebon Hawk, the 1 rp server in east that was the destination. It is INSANE now, 30 minute queues to log in, ULTRA laggy wz's, and, do yourself a favor and stay the heck away from fleet.

GG, BW, GG.

Servers are too empty!

*transfers allowed*

Servers are too full!

You people would whine if you were hung with a new rope.

Servers are too empty!

*transfers allowed*

Servers are too full!

And "you people" would misconstrue the meaning and intent of a post to spin it so that it turns into something suitable to fit your agenda.

And "you people" would misconstrue the meaning and intent of a post to spin it so that it turns into something suitable to fit your agenda.

Nah. I'm just making fun of the hypocrisy and whining. But do carry on with your outrage. :)

Servers are too empty!

*transfers allowed*

Servers are too full!

1 month ago

LOLZ Bioware is such a n00b! Servers are sooooo empty I iz unsubbiing!!!

Today

LOLZ Bioware is such a n00b! Servers are too full I iz unsubbing!!!

well see here's the thing... my server (Belgoth's Beacon) was peaking at about 80-100 people online for the Imperials in recent weeks. And that was prime time, 8pm, Weeknights.

Any time the subject of transfers was brought up on my server, the resounding response was "oh god, please soon!"

Not many people are going to be left after we finally get our turn on the merry-go-round.

So assuming a 75% (which I think is conservative) transfer rate, you're looking at having 20-25 people online at PEAK times. I was alone on planets levelling up alts before. After everyone leaves, you'll be lucky to see anyone, anywhere.

Which is good for everyone really, you'll have less downtime, EA will have less overhead for maintenance all the way down to power bills, and maybe they'll stop being penny pinchers and let BW continue to make this game awesome for us.

I'm on BB too. If there's 100 Imps on, why am I constantly doing same faction PVP? As it stands, I'm on Republic side and we usually have 30-40 in fleet and we still get two groups of 50 doing PVP. I'm not trying to be an *** here, just asking if that's really the imp population on BB. Maybe I should check myself and jump on my imp lol.

You're making an assumption here that simply isn't necessarily true. Given the leaps and bounds that have been made in virtuilization (Mainly by Oracle, but I digress...) in the last 4-8 years, It's entirely possible that the individual 'servers' that run SWTOR are actually on LESS physical components of hardware then there are servers. The cost savings may be... negligible, at best.

A lot depends on how they structured their internal database for tracking game transactions, and the specific architecture that they need for their servers to function. I mean, that's why we have weekly maintenance, mostly. Time for them to do fixed state backups, to keep log size down. It's actually and important thing, and there are simply too many different methodologies available at present for anyone without spesific insider knowledge (Which is LEGITIMATELY kept secret for competitive reasons) to make any sort of reasonable conclusions about how Bioware is running the server side software for SWTOR.

Hell, they may simply OWN the hardware outright, server side. Given the budget bandied about for this thing, and the ease with which they managed to open up all those new servers at launch, it's how I'd do it.

Sorry, I'm an IT guy, and this sort of thing... bugs me.

You're right, they could be doing any number of things to maintain servers etc, but no matter how you stick it, less servers means less resources tied up, whether it be virtual or hardware. Either way, my point was you're going to have a lot of damned near empty servers, and really... what the hell is the point of keeping an MMO server open to serve 10 people? Just my opinion though.

I'm on BB too. If there's 100 Imps on, why am I constantly doing same faction PVP? As it stands, I'm on Republic side and we usually have 30-40 in fleet and we still get two groups of 50 doing PVP. I'm not trying to be an *** here, just asking if that's really the imp population on BB. Maybe I should check myself and jump on my imp lol.

That's doing a /who with no search string, including all people levelling, in flashpoints, and raiding, not people on fleet.

Fleet usually never topped 30.

Lots of assumptions here. Especially because Canderous Ordo and Jedi Covenant have actually been bouncing back and forth. It's not going just "Everyone here. Okay, that's full. Now everyone over there."

Very hard to determine what's on bioware's agenda. I would say they clearly have a plan. They just don't want to tell us what it is.

The statistic that really matters now is total number of players playing, regardless of how BioWare has moved them around. That will take more work, but it is the life or death statistic. My hypothesis is that after a two week grace/curiosity period, the numbers will resume their decline until the game reaches its equilibrium population. But we shall see!

After the checking the updated list to see that, yes, I'm destined for Harbinger, I checked the status page to see that it and another were now "very heavy" with a 3rd server "full w/ 10 min queue", all the rest were "light".

Very clever BW/EA - jam us like sardines onto too few servers so that in a couple of months you can advertise your NEW!! PAID TRANSFERS!! NOW AVAILABLE!! service for those sick and tired of the long queue times. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Edited by tausser
more

I went through and tossed together some stats based off the current servers that have been opened for transfers, against the total server list, this is what I came up with, along with my guesses as to what we'll see in the coming days.

Current Stats:

PvE East

Total: 46

Destinations: 2

Origins: 12

Current Hypothesis: Since There are 34 PVE East Servers left to go, and both are at very heavy population way past peak time, I expect there to be at least 2 more PVE East Servers that will soon be opened to transfers

PvE West

Total: 24

Destinations: 2

Origins: 10

Current Hypothesis: I expect that one more server will be opened to transfers for this.

PvP East

Total: 27

Destinations: 1

Origins: 7

Current Hypothesis: Fatman was listed as full, and there are 19 servers still untransfered. I expect that another PvP-East Server will be Opened to transfers, and almost all of the remaining will be sent to there.

PvP West

Total: 14

Origins: 13

Status: All Western PvP Servers are transfered, Listed as Full 11pm EDT

Current Hypothesis: PvP West is finished, and it looks like they have their server for that, population seems high, and we can expect to see people complaining about queue times soon.

RP East

Total: 6

Origins: 5

Current Hypothesis: Transfers finished, those RPers will be shouting Lightning Bolt and throwing tennis balls with Glee for some time to come.

RP West

Total: 3

Origins: 2

Current Hypothesis: These RPers will not be quite as happy, but it's still better off. I think RP servers probably were never quite as bad as Belgoth's due to lower server totals in General.

RP-PVP East/West

Total: 3

Origins: 2

Status: Finished, unsurprisingly these servers are not very, standard pop at 11:30 edt.

Current Hypothesis: At least we're not on an RP-PVP Server.

----------------------

Estimated Final Transfer Stats:

PvE-East: 4

PvE-West: 3

PvP-East: 2

PvP-West: 1

RP-East: 1

RP-West: 1

RP-PVP: 1

Total: 13 Servers down from 123 in Total, a cut of 110 Servers. I think we can safely guess that most of the origin servers will be shutting down sooner, rather than later.

Sorry Europe, I didn't do any stats for you.

Very nice post of stats.

I'm also on belgoth's beacon and I can't wait to get transferred....dead server is dead.

After the checking the updated list to see that, yes, I'm destined for Harbinger, I checked the status page to see that it and another were now "very heavy" with a 3rd server "full w/ 10 min queue", all the rest were "light".

Very clever BW/EA - jam us like sardines onto too few servers so that in a couple of months you can advertise your NEW!! PAID TRANSFERS!! NOW AVAILABLE!! service for those sick and tired of the long queue times. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

A ten minute queue mere hours after such a huge influx of transfers is perfect. When today wears off, you will have a full server, but one that rarely has queues. Concurrent users will go down in the next couple days. A lack of foresight is what led to so many crying for more servers when the game launched. BioWare caved then, and when concurrent users went down, we were left with ghosttowns. This solution is perfect, and hopefully they stick to their guns this time. A small queue to play on a vibrant server is FAR more preferable to playing with nobody.

You're right, they could be doing any number of things to maintain servers etc, but no matter how you stick it, less servers means less resources tied up, whether it be virtual or hardware. Either way, my point was you're going to have a lot of damned near empty servers, and really... what the hell is the point of keeping an MMO server open to serve 10 people? Just my opinion though.

This is true. But it may not cost them anything to keep the stinkers open. Or not enough to matter, anyways. Once you're a certain size, shrinking down actually RAISES effective costs. Weird, but true. Now, they MAY do other things with those servers. Or they may make them... Idle. Or do something else entirely. But keeping them open likely has no, or only incidental, costs. While closing them... The screams of the pessimistic and the scandal seeking will rise from the rooftops. So, its a matter of if the PR hit is worth it.

Also, remember, that for some strange reason, some people LIKE deserted servers. I know of some raiding guilds that prefer them, so that they have less likelihood of ques, a server crash, or other shenanigans interrupting their raids. Once paid server transfers happen, the likelihood of them being utilized by the player-base for SOMETHING goes WAY up.

Servers are too empty!

*transfers allowed*

Servers are too full!

Correct. I never post, but I was going to post that I am sick of the constant whining.

This is true. But it may not cost them anything to keep the stinkers open. Or not enough to matter, anyways. Once you're a certain size, shrinking down actually RAISES effective costs. Weird, but true. Now, they MAY do other things with those servers. Or they may make them... Idle. Or do something else entirely. But keeping them open likely has no, or only incidental, costs. While closing them... The screams of the pessimistic and the scandal seeking will rise from the rooftops. So, its a matter of if the PR hit is worth it.

Also, remember, that for some strange reason, some people LIKE deserted servers. I know of some raiding guilds that prefer them, so that they have less likelihood of ques, a server crash, or other shenanigans interrupting their raids. Once paid server transfers happen, the likelihood of them being utilized by the player-base for SOMETHING goes WAY up.

There will always be some costs for keeping a server open be they enviromentals, license , backup etc etc. given that they've been told to cut costs e.g. staff layoffs, you can bet that these servers will be shutdown as soon as possible.

On another subject there is no evidence to support te current existence of 'mega/super' servers, given the current levels of population many of the dest severs had spare capacity, even the Fatman could take people from te really dead servers with 10's of .

GG, BW, GG.

I have characters on The Ebon Hawk as well, and I welcome the influx of players coming in. More chances to get groups for heroic quests on the lower level planets, more players to run flashpoints with. The server feels alive now. And honestly, I dont lag all that much. Given I do have my graphics set to low/medium range.