So, How Many Names Did You Lose?

Thaed

I don't get you people...

Let me put it this way: I lost no names. In fact, I have not been unable to use my name once in any video games i have ever played. Wanna know why? Because its my online indentity (as yall put it), so i put a lot of thought and effort into making it as unique as possible.

Hint: if you lost all your names, its because they were terribly boring and un-original. They were not your online identity: they were A online identity that you, along with countless others, associate to. It wasnt yours to begin with.

P.S. no its not Stonedsoul, thats just for forums. Ingame name is Nikijih

Edited by Stonedsoul

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None. I saved my mains name on every server of the same time (PvP West) a month ago when server merges were apparent.

Also took the opportunity to rename my legacy to something better.

Losing names does suck, but the game would die without the merges.

A name I spelled incorrectly at character creation got flagged as taken during character transfer. So I spelled it correctly this time, and it wasn't taken, hahaha.

So I really didn't loose a name...I actually gained one.

That's freakin awesome.

Let me put it this way: I lost no names. In fact, I have not been unable to use my name once in any video games i have ever played. Wanna know why? Because its my online indentity (as yall put it), so i put a lot of thought and effort into making it as unique as possible.

Hint: if you lost all your names, its because they were terribly boring and un-original. They were not your online identity: they were A online identity that you, along with countless others, associate to. It wasnt yours to begin with.

Nikijih seems to be a word in another language. Therefore, unoriginal.

You have no right to say whether or not someone elses name is unoriginal, let alone boring.

yes we do...

Sorry, allow me to rephrase.

You have no right to call someone's name unoriginal, let alone boring, without putting your own names on a platter for critiquing.

Whether a name is good or not is entirely subjective.

Nikijih seems to be a word in another language. Therefore, unoriginal.

You have no right to say whether or not someone elses name is unoriginal, let alone boring.

I didnt say your name was unoriginal. The servers did when they slapped you in the face with the reality that plenty of other people also thought they were being original by selecting the same name.

And Nikijih comes from:

1) my name is Nick G.

2) im italian, so my friends call me Nicky

3) I love asian cultures and took japanese classes.

Nicky + G + Japanesation = Nikijih. So you are right, it does sound like a word in another language. One i made up to sound that way purposefully. But thats not why its original: its original because there isnt anyone else called Nikijih.

Popular = not original by definition. Yes, it really is that simple.

EDIT:

Whether a name is good or not is entirely subjective.
Good =/= original and un-original =/= bad. You know why we have different words for different things? Its because they are not the same. Edited by Stonedsoul

I didnt say your name was unoriginal. The servers did when they slapped you in the face with the reality that plenty of other people also thought they were being original by selecting the same name.

And Nikijih comes from:

1) my name is Nick G.

2) im italian, so my friends call me Nicky

3) I love asian cultures and took japanese classes.

Nicky + G + Japanesation = Nikijih. So you are right, it does sound like a word in another language. One i made up to sound that way purposefully. But thats not why its original: its original because there isnt anyone else called Nikijih.

Popular = not original by definition. Yes, it really is that simple.

EDIT:

Good =/= original and un-original =/= bad. You know why we have different words for different things? Its because they are not the same.

...actually no matter how that is spun, your in-game name is actually very unoriginal. You went for the phonetic sound of your own name albeit with an umm foreign flair. :rolleyes:

How about i also used a phonetic variation on a name (not mine) and even went as far as to have two vowels together to even make it more unique... and guess what, it was taken on the bloody destination server. a slight umlaut fixed one up, but if I wanted an umlaut in the first place, I would have used one.

In short, you are not better than anyone else for your 'unique' pick, you got lucky.

Edited by skinthinner

...actually no matter how that is spun, your in-game name is actually very unoriginal. You went for the phonetic sound of your own name albeit with an umm foreign flair. :rolleyes:

How about i also used a phonetic variation on a name (not mine) and even went as far as to have two vowels together to even make it more unique... and guess what, it was taken on the bloody destination server. a slight umlaut fixed one up, but if I wanted an umlaut in the first place, I would have used one.

In short, you are not better than anyone else for your 'unique' pick, you got lucky.

What he said.

Also, I didn't say it sounds foreign, I said it is foreign.

I only lost one name, which wasn't that bad cos it was a name that I had chosen from the random list to start with.

what does annoy me more is that the system won't let me transfer all of my characters to the new server and I had to leave one behind since the system insists that I have an invisible phantom character on the new server stating original server 1 destination server 8 unavailable when trying to transfer the last one. however when logging into the new server it gives me the option to create a character because there are only 7 there!

I only lost one name, which wasn't that bad cos it was a name that I had chosen from the random list to start with.

what does annoy me more is that the system won't let me transfer all of my characters to the new server and I had to leave one behind since the system insists that I have an invisible phantom character on the new server stating original server 1 destination server 8 unavailable when trying to transfer the last one. however when logging into the new server it gives me the option to create a character because there are only 7 there!

Well this beats me since the new server I went to says I have one extra hidden character than brought over. Lost a slot in the 'merge'.

I suppose now I have to open a ticket... sigh.

Edited by skinthinner

I transfered 3, but only lost one. Too bad it was my main. Her name was Alaina. Almost all variations of that name were taken. However, I thought of Asamia. I'm a big fan of Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, so I figured it would work (I know its Asami in the show).

Ive seen that name and, like, 4 variations of that name in multiple MMOs. Besides, the way you worded it makes it seem like having or choosing a pre existing is a bad thing. It's like saying someone named Johnathan is less original or meaningful to the world than someone named Shakira. That's my two cents. I'm out. :rak_03:

Edited by Kikilicious

I transferred all 8 of my characters, and lost no names, not even Legacy. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe my names suck, lol, but I love them, and I'm happy.

The hubby didn't fare quite as well, he had to rename one, which really isn't too bad. He was ok with it. :o

I had this problem last night. Create a new character, spacebar through the start and empty your mail. That'll free it up instantly.

The last 4 weeks on my dead server I had stopped logging in as much, due to the fact that 6 people on the fleet at prime time made me too angry. My interest was dropping - so I decided out of boredom to make a marauder on The Fatman.

I got it to 50 this past Saturday, annoyed that I had no option to help my new toon out through my current five 50's, and their crafting professions and legacy and blah blah.

Well, tuesday comes and what do I see? Holy ****..Hedaar Soongh to the Fatman!@ WHAT THE BEEP!@ Wow I did NOT see that one coming. My 5 50's on Hedaar transferred instantly.

I had to rename two characters, who cares. One i just added an s - so Skrem instead of Krem....the other, Parabola (my sniper) i renamed to Tubsmcgee cause he's fat. I really did not take anytime to think of something better.

Do I care? NOPE

Also, when I had to make my legacy name on the fatman for my marauder, i made the "Im'Da'Boss" legacy, simply because it did not matter. I had legacy 50 on hedaar blah blah. When were they ever going to be together?

SO, when transferred happened, my Fatman legacy name overwrote my previous one. Well, i chuckled, but do I care?

NOPE. Who gives a **** lol. I get to PLAY THE GAME AGAIN!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.